ORVG Coffee House #182 Cool October has arrived.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1126723/

After a HOT, HOT and DRY September it appears Fall has finally arrived.
Time to start hauling all those Tropicals to the Barn.....

This message was edited Oct 2, 2010 9:41 PM

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the new blank page Ric.

We had a sprinkle of rain late this afternoon. I don't think it was even enough to measure in the rain gauge. It did wet the sidewalk and deck, and we were about ready to leave to go out to eat, and the road was even wet. However, I don't think it was enough to even settle the dust good.

I just let Mr. B out, and it has turned really chilly, so I think that fall is finally here. Our church is going to have a bon fire, wiener roast and just fellowship around the campfire, and we were waiting for cooler weather, so think we can go ahead and plan it for anytime now.

Hope everybody has a warm restful night.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Yesterday was the JDRF Walk for a Cure at Five Rivers Metropark in Dayton. Bertie went with me this year. It's a 5k walk and Jordyn had over 120 people walking for her. They bought yellow t-shirts for all the walkers. (My DD and her DH did, I mean) I'd say she had the most walking for her. Too bad that all that walked didn't raise money...that would have been awesome. I raised $115 so that qualifies for a free walk t-shirt. I always give my shirt to Jordyn. Anyway, it was really nice for walking, weather wise. Sunny and cool. We got that little bit of rain yesterday as well. It rained gently for quite a while. Haven't been out to check the gauge.

Yesterday was our 30th anniversary. I fixed steak, teriyaki rice and salad for dinner. Even splurged and got a pumpkin creme cake. Yum...anyway, it was a nice quiet celebration. Think we're going to breakfast today. We haven't been out for breakfast in months! We would have gone yesterday, but the walk made that impossible.

Bill fixed my car. He had to replace the bearings and it's so nice to have my car back without it growling at me any more!

Sure hasn't been much chatting going on here....guess everyone is busy.

Bonnie, we're having a bonfire on the 23rd. Last year we had bout 50 people. Hope we have a good turn out this year, too. We usually have it on the last Saturday, but that being Halloween, it usually causes a lot of people to have to choose which party to go to..... hopefully, having it a week earlier will help.

Have a blessed Sunday all!

i m here
we are on our way to a October fest in Urbana
very chlly here
our heat turned on ! yikes means its under 71 in our house brrrrr

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

It's only 48* out right now here...only calling for a high of 54 today. Seems that Fall has arrived! Can't believe how blah the trees are for this time of the year....I'm sure it's lack of water....sigh...it's always one of the things I love best about this time of year.

Hope you all have fun today. Think I'll snuggle up on the couch and read a bit!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Is down to 61* in our house this morning. Too cold for me...and guess what? Can't get our furnace to come on. It just sits there and hums! Now tell me...how does something happen to a furnace that has just sat there...doing nothing???? And it's only ten yrs old too. Guess they make them to keep the furnace guys in business!
I do have my little electric heater on...so there goes the electric bill...lol! Can't win!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Is it a gas furnace Marcy?
If so it could need a new Thermocouple.

It should be warmer later in the week.
Mid 70's at least by middle thru next weekend.
No frost temps here yet in the forecast.
Plus the Maple and Oak are still in full leaf so they help hold the temps in.
Definitely need to get the Pond Leaf Cage set up though.......

We are bringing in some of the less hardy Tropicals.
Put up a ceiling fan/light (the old one from the kitchen) out in the Porch GH yesterday.
W/ the air movement the bug problems should greatly diminish.
Now we are re-glazing the windows.
We needed to get this done before we move the plants inside.
3 ponds and those HUGE Yucca Trees about fill the floor space.
Hanging pots finish off the ceiling area.

Ric got the new Catolog for the tropicals ! will check it out this weekend.
went to the festival , it was a bust . ate at Dairy Queen.
came home and am ready to watch Hocus Pocus with the kids
bbl

(Zone 5b)

It was down right cold here today, cloudy, drizzle and in the 50's. The chickens have been doing a great job of cleaning out the flower beds, all the mulch has been turned over and fertilized by them too!

Running around today trying to get ready for another very long week. Just too much going on right now. The following week should be better. How the heck am I going to fit all the summer stuff into the garage? Reorganizing is on the top of my list.

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Browns beat the Bengals!
I had a WONDERFUL Weekend! LOL!

Marcy, when we built this house about 14 years ago, it was in the fall when we got moved in. When the spring came, we turned the furnace off, and shortly had to use the AC. Well, when fall came around again, the furnace wouldn't work. So called the builder, and he set the furnace people out, and got it going. Well, the next year same thing, only this time the house is out of warranty, at least from the builder's point of view. Had to call a furnace company, and they got it going. Did this the next 3 years, and finally DH said, I think I will watch to see what they are doing to start the furnace. It was a simple, use compressed air to clean off the igniter, and any moisture that may have been there, and it lit. So now, if it won't light, DH is the maintence person. His prices sure beats those of the furnace guys!!

It has been chilly here today. After we got home from church, ate dinner, and I cleaned the kitchen, DH went to visit some folks in the hospital, and me and Mr. B took a nap. I did watch a lot of the Alltec games on television. Those dressage horses are so magnificant. They are all beautiful. I don't understand the scoring sometimes, and I suppose it is an all around score for several events, but I just enjoyed watching the horses and riders.

Then I started paying bills and balancing checkbooks, so I have completed one of my weekday jobs. Maybe that will give me a head start on doing some of the things that have gotten put off.

I have lots of bulbs that need to be put into the ground, but there is no way that it can be done, unless we get some rain.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I know the feeling abt the bulbs, Bonnie. For the last couple of years I've dug holes with one of the augurs that attches to a drill. This year I'd have to hire a jackhammer!

Got a scare this week when DS called to say his father had been hospitalized & might have to have heart surgery. His father had, as a child, been treated with open-heart surgery for a hole in his heart. Having had my own father, and one grandfather, drop dead from heart attacks, I got panicky. Fortunately, my ex had an arrhythmia that was fixable with a pacemaker, so he got that implanted & is back at home. Whew!

Planning on spending the week moving the hose around to all my thirsty plants.
EVerybody take care,
Pat

Pat, glad that everything worked out okay for your ex. That is scary. Our pastor is in the hospital right now for about the same thing. They are doing a procedure tomorrow to get his heart back into the proper rhythm.

I think that some of my shrubs are too far gone. One of them being the forsythia. It is too far to reach with a hose, and has gotten only water carried to it, when I thought about it. It really does look sad now. Even if it lives, I bet that this has killed all the blooms for next year.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Some years back, I had that arrhythmia. Such an awful feeling! I was put on medication, and took it for a while...until the dr decided I no longer needed it. Glad he is doing ok Pat.
Bonnie, I will tell Dave what to look for. That gets old...calling a repairman every year! And they will probably say they can't get out until next week!
Well..I am on my way to bed. Sleep well everyone.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Wow, was I a lazy girl yesterday....just didn't have any oomph. So I laid on the couch and read. It was truly a "day of rest"!

Thinking about doing my morning walk....guess I'll put on jeans and a sweatshirt to do it today. I usually just walk it in my robe. Too chilly for that today!

morning
off to press cider.
LUcy did a funny this morning.
playing frisbee i have the big hole kind of frisbee. she got her two front legs stuck in and was trying to figure out how to get out LOL very funny to watch! ROFLLL she made it but it was a hula hoop by the time she came back to me . so i helped her out.
have a warm day

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Funny...I miss that little girl.....

Waddy, KY

Rather chilly Sunday at the market. Thank goodness I broke out my long johns. They and the wool sweater came in handy. It spit mist almost all afternoon and a wicked northwest wind blew all afternoon. Yuk!.

What do you do with a batch of chow chow that you didn't read the directions on to refresh your memory, didn't soak over night in the salt and cooked up into a nice mush? Got 14 pints of the crap and since it has hot peppers in it I'm not too sure my kids are going to go for it. I think I'll take a jar down to my parents and see if Dad would eat it.

Got to make another batch tonight plus scald and freeze about a bushel of tomatoes. This is going to wind down soon. At least that's what I keep telling myself...

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Furnace is fixed! The blower was stuck. He said it happens from sitting all summer. LOL...I said...well don't most people's furnaces sit all summer???????? He oiled the blower...and it works fine now. Next summer, we will turn it on from time to time..just to make sure it runs!
And then there is the book club I belong to. I bought a book, got the bill. There was an extra 3.99 charge on it. So I called...asked what it was for. She said it was for the book I had returned last month. Said they don't 'remove' that charge when a book is returned. I paid the postage and handling when I sent it back! I just now went to their website and asked to be removed from their customer list. That kind of stuff just really makes me mad!
Dave checked out the chimney on the woodstove, and we got a fire going around lunchtime. Sure felt good! It was down to 58 * in here!! Brrrrrrr!!!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Bill turned the heat on today too....I would have waited, but he was the wimp!

Garden club tonight....we'll hear how to bring Tropicals inside..(my friend said maybe I could tell them how to do it! LOL)

Ky bummer on the chow chow. gosh that is a lot of work . you sure sound busy ! my goodness. I didn't scald my tomatoes when i froze them , i wonder if i should have ? i just threw them in whole . How is the market doing ? has the economy effected any of it ?
Cookie have fun at Garden club.
We only did 70 gals of cider today.
Marcy that would chap my hide too. Glady our furnace is working again and its going to be in the 70's this weekend ? !
wow.

Well, I have been canning apples today. Have 14 quarts of sliced apples, and 3 pints of applesauce. Have worked on and off all day on them.

Janet, so sorry about the mix up on the recipe for the chow chow. I don't know if there is a fix for it or not. Just about as bad as me not putting sugar in my zuchinni bread the other day. I think I am going to serve it with a caramel sauce!

Where I have been standing all day, by back is screaming, so I am going to take a shower, and sit and read the rest of the night.

Waddy, KY

Sue, it just depends on whether or not you wanted skins in whatever you make. If you decide you don't want the skins, when you thaw the tomatoes the skins will slip right off and you can fish them out without too much problem.

Market's starting to slow down. Because we joined a another much bigger Lexington market last year our income from market overall has increased but the income from the Frankfort market has decreased and I do blame the economy for that. What I sell is non-essential foodstuff and jobless people can certainly do without it. That and more people have a few tomatoes in their back yards.

Got the ripe tomatoes done last night and a few pumpkins cooked. Pumpkin is outrageous in the store this year if you can find it. I've got a few that I grew but I guess I'm going to have to buy some more and work them up.

Bonnie, how the heck is your bread even turn out edible without the sugar? I sure know how pumpkin bread turns out when you forget the soda and baking powder!!!

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

Busy, busy, busy here! Trying to get the garage cleaned out so I can put more junk in it from the storage room so I can put all my overwintering plants in it. Tom is going to rig up one of my grow lights over the table so I can try and overwinter brugmansias and a few other plants in there. They have caught my eye and I have a few that others have sent me - yay, they have roots finally! - and I really want to get them started. There's a lady over in Hamilton who has a ton of them and I'm hoping to meet her at her house one day soon and see how she does hers. She's on the brugs list and always listing pictures of the most beautiful brugs. Got rid of my family room couch, took the living room couch down there (which really doesn't match), and turned my living room into an office area for me and Tom. We don't really need both a family room and a living room anyway. Found a building lot that we are really interested in; amazingly enough, it has trees and a decent price -lol.
Sue, DS asked me if Urbana was very far because he needs more cider and smoothies!
Have a good day everyone,
Di

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey Sue...I am ready for 70's again...lol. I wore my winter jacket over the weekend...so that's enough winter for me!! Back to the closet it goes!
Bonnie..those apples and applesauce will really taste good this winter! My crabapples didn't do well this year. Lots of them...but they didn't ripen right??? Not enough to bother with.
Back to Sue...... I always just wash and put my tomatoes in the freezer. Like Janet said..the skins slip right off when thawing out.
Hmmmmm...Janet...I might have to buy pumpkins too. I had heard that canned pumpkin was high this year...but haven't priced it yet.
Hey Di...sounds like you've been busy too. We haven't even started on our barn/garage yet...but Dave has started to put things away for the winter. The clean out will be next...so my car can go in. It sits outside in the summer...lol.
Well...I best get busy here. Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Wally World has Pumpkins at $3.98@.
More the old canning size than the carving size.
Deeper almost Brown color. Spice Pumpkins maybe?

Janet and Marcy good to know on the tomatoes thanks. i like skins that come right off.
I did find 10 cans of pumpkin i grabbed it while i could.
i work at farmers market and we sell our at .25 lbs.
bad year for pumpkins :(
Di LOL i don't know how far Urbana is from you :) give it a google map and we shall see what we come up with .
got a bushel of golden delicious
and i have a bushel of Winesap apples soooo i will be busy with drying ,canning and sauce making oh and pies.
yummy
good night

Since I worked my fingers to the bone yesterday, I sort of took it easy today. I had an early morning appointment, but when I got home, went to church and picked up a small table from the nursery, came home and sanded it and prepped it for painting. Had to stop to cook supper, took Mr. B for a ride after supper, and then started to paint that table. Got the first coat on, and will try to put another on sometime tomorrow.

Oh, I didn't realize that you had to clean out garages and barns and buildings getting ready for fall! I am being sarcastic, if DH did that, we would have the garbage police telling us that we couldn't put out that much at a time. His garage is a first class disaster. I told him, if he should die, it would take 3 days to sell all of his stuff.

Tomorrow is grocery/errand day, so will be gone early (I hope) and then I will start getting all the things that we will need for the fish fry on Saturday together. If I don't do it a few days ahead of time, I surely will forget something that is really necessary.

If anybody is interested, I am putting up an ad for pecans, and chocolate covered pecans that our ladies missionary group is selling as a fundraiser. This is the only fundraiser that we do, in order to raise funds for our operating expenses, and the rest of our work through out the year is funded through this. We send the Christmas Shoe Boxes overseas to children, we support Redbird Mission School in Southeast Kentucky, and we also support our own missionary family who are currently serving in Africa. It takes a lot to do all of these projects, and if you would ordinarily buy pecans for use in holiday baking, these are fresh from Georgia, 2010 harvest, and are very fresh and good. The ship dates will be around November 1st.

mmmm pecans !!!

Waddy, KY

Bonnie, if you can do better than $5.40 a lb. count me in for 15-20 lbs. I don't know that I have enough freezer room to carry over more than that. I got most of my walnuts last year when Kroger ran them for $2.99 a pound. Makes the profit margin a little higher when I can do that. I bought a case of eggs yesterday at $.79 a dozen. I haven't seen them that cheap in a while.

I scraped frost off the windshield this morning. There was a light frost on the ground here and there. I picked green tomatoes until 9:00 last night. Nothing like picking by the headlights of the car! I probably got around 7 bushel. Never got them all picked. I think I'll run down there tonight and see if I can get the rest of them picked before it frosts any more. See if I can get some pickles made. I think I'll re read the recipe this time. LOL. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do with that mush. Maybe I can just throw some here and there in meat salad and potato salad. I can't over do it because it's a little hot and my folks don't do hot too well.

They got the storm door ordered for the house and the quarter round for the trim. My DSIL and I will try to get it stained and varnished on Monday. That's our next state government furlough day. Right now I'm just glad to have a job.

~~~~~~~~~ to all. Got to get to work.

Ky wow your busy lady.
Bonnie i would like to order some dmail me :)
well we had 170 gals of cider to jug up today and guess what broke ! .... the motor to the pump. Not fun. filled buckets by hand and dumped them in the 30 g al tank to fill the jugs and filled one gal at a time.
long day.
good night

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

OMgosh,Sue! Do you still have any shoulders left?
I spent the day yesterday getiing my big old ugly locust tree removed, dead branches pruned off of the oak, white pine, blue spruces, and norwegian spruce. What took them the longest was digging out all the largest locust tentacles and getting the stump dug out. after about 5 hours, they were having trouble splitting the last big base chunk, so I told them to take out the wedge, turn it over, & I'd use it for an outdoor stool. Voila!
I kept doing double takes at the back yard yesterday because of how much brighter it was.
Today the other tree guy came and treated the norwegian spruce for mites. He shot the formula up into the tree with what looked like a fire hose. So I feel like I've done right by my trees; now I just have to keep moving the hose around so everything gets a little water, at least.
What a beautiful day!
Pat

Well, I got started early this morning, so I was back from the grocery by noon. It was busy as it was Senior Wednesday. After I got the groceries put away, I went out and put another coat of paint on the table I brought from church. Did some paper work and then cooked supper. Then to church where another lady and I cleaned the nursery, and then to Bible Study.

Sue, I too am wondering how in the world that you managed to lift all that cider. I sure hope this fella has workers comp in case you pull a muscle.

Ric, I got pumpkins cheaper than you. We raised some. Well, maybe if you count all the costs, seed, water, fertilizer, labor, may cost way more.

Janet, what are you going to do with all of those green tomatoes? Would you be willing to sell about a half bushel? Did you decide on a date for lunch? Hope that you and your SIL get all the staining done. Seems like the work is moving right along. I would like to come to a house warming about New Years!!

Marcy, are you still trying to get your gardens put to bed? Since we have had no rain I don't have much to do other than pull up the dead flowers. I think that I have lost the forsythia, and maybe some of the other shurbs. Wanted to ask, is there a difference between a crab apple tree, and an ornamental crab apple? I have three crab apples, which I think are ornamental, but they are loaded with fruit. What is the normal size of your crab apples? The largest of mine are about a large gum ball size. Is that about what yours are? I have never done anything with mine, but the birds sure do love them.

Sue you have dmail.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Waving hello~~~

Trying to get some things done outside here as well....dug up the non hardy stuff and potted the ones that have to be. Letting the EEs go dry, etc.

Marcy...what are the two pots that you brought to the picnic? I know one is a grass...do you know which one and how big it will get? I keep meaning to ask you this and keep forgetting!

Have a great day all...sounds like it will be another pretty one!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

LOL...Joyce! Soooo...you found them!!! I meant to ask if anyone wanted them. Ok..the big one...I think is that BIG Miscanthus...pretty sure...but since it was a volunteer in my front garden? And the smaller one...I couldn't really make up my mind ?
I think it might be a Liatris. The leaves sure do look like mine. But...then again..it could be a grass of some kind???? I have several varieties. Anyway..you found them..so they are YOURS...lol! Thanks again for the nice time at the round up!
Bonnie...yes...Dave spent all afternoon yesterday..putting things away. Today I am going out and do some planting (bulbs). I usually don't clean up my gardens too much in the fall...but leave the dead stuff to protect the base plant. Then I have a real mess in the spring...lol. Oh well..it's either one or the other!
I echo what Pat said, Sue! I started on my windows...have done two...and all that stretching and reaching has really made me sore.
Pat...sounds like you are doing all the right things for your trees.
Don't know if any of you heard about that tree trimmer guy that fell 90 ft. yesterday? How awful for him. He died later. So sad. He cut the limb his lifeline was attached to..they said.
Bonnie...on the crabapples...mine are larger...about the size of a plum. I have read that ALL crabapples are edible...but you would want to check with your county extension office before using them...please don't take my word for that. Also...I think the reason no one bothers with the small ones, is it takes so many to make something. But if you have 3 trees, and the time to pick them???
Mine weren't any good this year, because of the drought I think. I was disappointed.
If you want the bigger crabs...look in the catalogs. I think Dolgo..or something like that is one. That may be what I have. Most catalogs that sell fruit trees have them. You don't usually find them at nurseries though.
Well...Dave got the drill and the auger out for me, and is going to show me how to use it.
Hope you all have a good day...it's warming up here..nicely!!!

Pat wow on the big tree removal. that is a job. I bet your back yard does seem different :)
It was a job with the cider. Not an easy task to say the least LOL
but we "git R dun " :)
today is run around
get lumber for Ric for sat
and lucy training ! oh joy . she picks up pretty quick. hot dogs are her fav. Maybe i can train her to pick up her own poop ???

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

You working on Sunday, too, Sue????

Cookie nope i plain on sleeping on sunday LOL
got things done
moved firewood
got permits ... well kinda .
got lumber
got grocery
Lucy made it through another training session with me or well i made it through too. LOL
waiting for kids to get off the bus
found my phone yeah !
Marcy that is horrible to hear of the tree trimmer. i m sorry to hear of it.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Same here Sunday! The sleeping part....LOL!

Pat did you go w/ Blue Ox?

Ric

My day was occupied with paper work. I can actually see the top of my desk now. I had phone calls to make, appointments to make, etc. But everything now is in good shape.

After I got that done, I went out and put another coat of paint on the church tables and stools. Sure hope that I can have them ready to go back to the church for Sunday.

Mr. B and I had a long walk this morning, before starting anything. I think he has a "thing" for a new little Austrialian shepherd just up the road. He sure was looking for her when we went by.

Tomorrow, I will be getting all the utensils and supplies ready to take to the venue for our fish fry on Saturday night. DH said that he looked over the guest list last night, and he has invited about 85. Of course there will be some that won't show, so I think we will be okay.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.