Ficus Triang. Variegata question

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Bought 3 that are 1-2 foot tall in June. They have been outside for the summer. As I am bringing them in for the winter, I noticed one has 6 small (I hesitate to say figs) 1/4 inch red berries on it. Do you think there is viable seed inside? Should I try planting them? Any tips appreciated.

Danville, IN

Sorry that no one had any advice for you. I'm not sure, but if I were you, I'd go ahead and plant the fruit/seeds since they are from a tropical plant. Keep moist and see what happens. Perhaps you've already done this. If so, did anything come of it?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Sorry I didn't see this when it came up. The "fruit" of a Ficus tree is technically it's inflorescence - its flower. Actually, it's a whole grouping of specialized flowers and seeds called a synconium, but we know them as figs. Figs have a little opening called an ostiole at the end farthest from the stem (distal end) that allow pollinators (tiny wasps) to crawl into the fig and pollinate it. No pollinator wasp - no seed viability, and it's a certainty the wasp doesn't reside in WI, so the thousands of seeds contained in each synconium wouldn't be viable, but the plant does come easily from cuttings ...... if you need help with that.

Al

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Yes, more and more of these small round things keep appearing. Flowers makes sense. Cuttings I can do now that I have the spider mites under control.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

They ARE figs, but figs are groupings of specialized flowers. Cuttings root fastest & most reliably when the tree has the most stored energy. Be thinking the end of Jun to mid-Jul as the best time to propagate from cuttings.

Al

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.