MG Cameo Elegance

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I am looking for 5 seeds of Cameo Elegance Variegated ivy leaved Morning Glory. Alas mine died without giving me new seeds. I am willing to trade 15 fresh seeds from my Mittsy's Mailbox mixture.

Thumbnail by mittsy
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Mittsy - You should have gotten some in the seed swap. Or did those you grew come from the swap? I think Cibarius sent Cameo Elegance seeds. Check and let me know.

Mesilla Park, NM

Mittsy, I should have some also, I'll double check and let you know tomorrow, mine may be a couple of years old and still in the store package if you don't mind store seeds.

A.

I don't mind store seeds. Thanks for the offer.

(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

Mittsy,
I have some Cameo Elegance seeds. I don't know about the variety. Dmail me and I will send them out to you.

Doug

Mittsy - I was wrong, What Cibarius sent in the swap was Minibar Rose. I have a couple baggies left . I kept the few extras from last year to share with newbies!

In my opinion, Minibar Rose and Cameo Elegance look very similar and have a similar growth habit:

Minibar Rose: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51637/
Cameo Elegance: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/128748/

I really don't see much difference between these two cultivars. Maybe that is another experiment that someone should try by growing them both and comparing the differences. It could be that it is the same vine but is sold by two different commercial seed companies under different names. That happens often with the stiff competition between both big and small seed companies.

Do you have a baggie of Minibar Rose from the swap? If so, you might want to grow both and see what the difference is!

This message was edited Sep 26, 2010 10:11 AM

Mesilla Park, NM

Becky, I too thought Mini-bar Rose and Cameo Elegance were the same plant/mg. I'll have to see what the packs say on mine. Also, when I grew this one, it didn't make hardly any seeds that I remember, I know I didn't collect any from the plants from 3 years ago.

Antoinette - Let us know the name of the seed company, please? Maybe we can do an internet search to see which companies sell what cultivar?

Well, to make this even more interesting, there is another cultivar, "Beni Chidori" that also looks similar to both of the above mentioned cultivars:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/96226/

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh yeah, I forgot about Beni Chidori, that too, I thought was the same as the other two. Very interesting.

Did anyone get seeds out of any of these.. I do remember someone having tons of seeds and giving them away at one time, but do not remember which name they used, I do think it was Cameo Elegance. I'll take out my Binders tonight and go through them to see what I've got. I've been trying to make some order in how I file the seeds, but, the more I try the more I find different ways of doing it, by color, by specks, by names, by species, etc.. it is so hard for me to find an easy way to do this.

Let us know when you do, A! I have the same problem organizing my seeds in some kind of easy to find order. :-)

Yeah, I do have a package of Mini-bar Rose from Doug. I would be willing to do a comparison of those three. Gotta go quickly engrave a few tags for labeling. This will be my winter in Cocoa Beach project. Let's try to find the other two and I'll do a pictorial thread on the results of the grow out. Never to old to learn new things.

Mittsy - Oh! Wonderful!!! That would be a great grow-out!!! I would love to see it! I will look to see if I have any Beni Chidori seeds left. I don't remember getting seeds of the one I grew. Maybe someone online sells them if no one has any left. I will definitely check my seed stash to see if I have any. Doug (Cibarius) purchased the MR seeds for the seed swap, so they should be newer seeds and should germinate easily for you. Older seeds may be more difficult. But if you use the baggie method to germinate them, you may have good luck!

Thanks for offering to do a grow-out comparison for all of us! I am really curious to see if there is a difference between these 3 cultivars! :-)

Off to engrave tags.

I'll let you know if I can find some Beni Chidori seeds.

Great

Tags are ready

Thumbnail by mittsy
Mesilla Park, NM

I found them!

Cameo Elegance Morning Glory, One pack is from Burpee date packaged says packaged for 2007, so I may have gotten them in 2006
Description: Charming dwarf climber packs a lot of color into small spaces. Striking fushsia-pink blooms 2" across, with a white eye, are highlighted against unique variegated foliage. Perfect for containers and small trellises.

Cameo Elegance Morning Glory, Pack is from Swallowtail Gardens in CA, packed for 2007 described as: Ipomoea nil. Distinct Ivy-like foliage is variegated and the rosy-crimson 2-2.5 inch blooms have a white throat and some will have a white star or picotee pattern. Excellent in hanging baskets or containers.

Benichidori: from a trade in 10-07, described as JMG Great for hanging baskets.

I don't have mini-bar rose, I thought I did, I'll keep on looking.

Mittsy, send me your address and I'll get off at least 4 seeds of each one, hopefully they are not too old and will germinate.

Maybe someone out there has mini-bar rose.

Mittsy - I found 2 seeds of Ben Chidori (that's all I have) and I can share 2 of Cameo Elegance (in case Antoinette can't find hers). You have the Minibar Rose seeds from Cibarius. So we have all 3 different cultivars. The seeds I have are several years old. At least 5 years old for the Beni Chidori. 3 years old for Cameo Elegance.

Looking at the seeds, Beni Chidori and Cameo Elegance look very similar and are about the same size. The Minibar Rose are a little bigger.

Oh! Excellent, Antoinette! Your seeds are newer than mine and you have more than I do! Let's use yours and mine can be back-up seeds! :-)

Mesilla Park, NM

Alrighty, got her addy and date for them to be mailed.. it will be interesting to see which is the same or not. I've grown one before and now I don't know which one of the packages I grew out, both were opened. I opened all my seed packs and repack them when I purchase them, I like to look at the seeds too and see the differences in them. One time I got a bean inside the mg seeds., it didn't germinate though. LOL.. then one time I got melons on what was supposed to be Apple Gourds..lol, you never know what you will get in those packs sometimes. My Scarlett Ohara turned out to be Pearly Gates ...lol.. not red that is for sure.

A.

Mesilla Park, NM

Mittsy, I received your package today and I had mean't to tell you that you could have the seeds for postage and didn't have to send me anything, but, it is always nice to get seeds.. Thank you. I've got them packed and ready for the date you specified for mailing.

Hope you enjoy your vacation.
A.

Thank you for letting me know you received the package.
Mittsy

Thanks, Antoinette!

Mittsy - This will be an interesting experiment to see if any of these indeed are the same or similar vines! Thanks for offering to grow all 3 of these cultivars out for comparison! I can't wait to see your thread about them!

I'd like a picture and directions for your two bucket self watering system. Others would probably enjoy it too.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Yes, I would like to see ...
Mittsy, just wanted to let you know the seeds have turned into blooms from your mail box mix.

I hope that they will bloom as abundantly for you as they have for me. They were spectacular! Mailbox is now naked as I've cleaned up in preparation for our trip south. Got about 8 ounces of fresh seeds to share! And I dug up all the little starter plants that reseeded themselves. I'd like to be like Johnny Appleseed planting Morning Glories all across the country! KY, here we come.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I like your thinking. We would make good neighbors, LOL have a good trip going to Kentucky, I have never been to that state. I hope I can visit Kentucky before I am too old to drive. Are you moving there?

Nope, just visiting my grandsons and family for a few days on our way to FL for the winter.

Mesilla Park, NM

I do that also, everyone at the Senior Center, the Women's Intercultural Center and the Gym have all gotten some Morning Glory seeds from me.. Some of the Professor's at the university here took some to their summer homes back East also.. I wonder if they bloomed while they were here teaching? It is nice to share the wealth around when possible, they get really surprised to find out that most are I. nils and not the field type purpureas they are used to pulling out.. I do have a tough time convincing them that they won't regret it.

Mesilla Park, NM

Guys, and Mittsy,

Believe it or not, I found 3 brand new packages of mini-bar rose from Parks from 2004 and some from a trade .., I'll include some from Parks in your envelope since it won't go out till after 10-10.. went through two binders with seeds just to see what I had last night and found these.. Mittsy, now you will have all four of them to compare.

A.

Cool! I am very interested in this experimental grow-out! Should be interesting and informative! :-)

Mesilla Park, NM

Yeah, I wonder if they will all be the same? It will be interesting.

No doubt. I am truly wondering if they are one and the same vine or actually quite different ...

I'll have to get more 5 gallon buckets. I want to do this as Scientifically as possible.

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

I have encountered this problem already in my short time growing mgs, seems to me seed companies can call them whatever they like! To fool us into thinking they are a new variety. After all if they look the same, behave the same, they are the same, no?

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Jon, you're exactly right. Just a marketing ploy for them to increase their
bottom line. Burpees sold Crimson Rambler as Party Girl one yr or some
such name. Shame on Burpees.

Must be the years they couldn't come up with anything else new in the MG line? LOL! Businesses are businesses to make money regardless of size of company or number of employees. Profit is the bottom. I wonder if they have repeat customers?

Becky. If they re-name mg's, I;m sure they re-name lots of other sds as well.

Jackie - No doubt about it! It's probably a sales tactic that a lot of businesses use. Though I am sure the consumers don't much care for it. It's a waste of the customer's money to buy the same seeds/vines under different names. It would certainly make me mad!

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Well at least I seem to have got something right, LOL!

Yes you did get it right Jon, lol Easy to figure out when it's always about the money.
At least most of us have it figured out and won't waste our money on newly named mg's that are actually the same-o same-o. Hopefully the newbies will see thru it too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.