Heidi Chronicles: Cookie Time - Won't You Join Us?

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Like Sheri, I think turtles and rabbits are the best bet for the rabbit food sample. Cats are highly unlikely, and as obligate carnivores couldn't really digest it anyway; raccoons seem dubious but you never know.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Ruth,

I figured it was a stretch, but worth a try. I haven't seen my bunny in a while, but when I do see her I usually start pulling everything green out of the fridge looking for something to offer her - as though she doesn't already have my entire garden full of flowers to eat. I ordered the sample originally thinking how nice it would be to have on hand when she shows up again. A few times I've also seen a larger rabbit in the front yard in winter. If that one shows up he/she should really appreciate some quality rabbit chow in winter when pickings are scarce.

As to Heidi and the store brand cat food, when you put it that way it just reminds me once again how incredible she is. To this day I remain amazed at her diet choices. No other raccoon out there has her discipline - except maybe Bast who also rarely eats anything other than cat/dog food and maybe a grape or peanut now and then along with the very rare cookie. Come to think of it, Bast's eating habits are quite similar to Heidi's.

You mentioned that Heidi knows she can find better food for her family in the forest. Although that speaks badly of the quality of that food - and, yes, it is sad that some pets never see anything better - it is also very good to know that Heidi has the ability to find better food on her own. What may be even better news is that, since it was the kits who gave up on the food and left 1st while Heidi was still picking at it, her face resembling that of one of us picking through a dish of fried insects in search of the least offensive one. Since one of the kits gave up 1st and headed back to the forest, it sounds like even the kit was confident that he/she would be able to find better food in the forest, which speaks well of the training they have already received from Heidi.

I should have known better by now than to even try that food. It had a different label, and not one with the store's name on it, so in that eternal human pursuit of the elusive 'something for nothing' I fell for the supposed chance at a bargain even when I know the food they are currently eating is the least expensive food they find acceptable.

Hey, we're all bargain hunters at heart; such a bloody shame that they so often backfire...

We do seem to think alike in many ways. When the cottontails start browsing in the garden here, I too rummage through the fridge for slightly old veggies to offer her... though I'll confess to also bringing out the Ropel if she's developed a taste for a young plant not likely to survive her attention, lol. The rabbit food sample will no doubt be MOST welcome in winter if Peter or Paula rabbit comes to visit you.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I was thinking about planting a special wildlife garden with good things for critters to eat, at a place on the property that is removed from our flowers. I wonder if it would work...

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods,

It sounds good, but I don't think they would be able to tell their garden from your garden. They would probably eat from both. Unless - well, I have read that some people have had a degree of success by planting several rows of something 'they' (depends on who they are) really like 'in front' of the stuff you want to protect. The idea there is to hope they get full before they get to your garden. If you have several species of wildlife and lots of them, this probably won't work either and may even help to draw them to your garden - like a roadside sign advertising the garden.

And if 'they' are raccoons, forget it. 'They' like to browse. It's just in their nature to try a little of everything in the area.

Well, we do have 25 acres, but yeah, they might invite all their friends and relatives and they may roam the property and find the flowers, too, lol.
The racoons are no problem. They have their food dishes on the back porch, which they share with the kitties.
Frosty the opossum is out there eating right now.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I've read that planting several rows of corn or soybeans or something like that 'ahead of' the stuff you are trying to protect may work for deer, but I don't have any experience with it and don't know for sure. I've also read that planting a few rows of something they hate like peonies may help to deter deer, so who knows. Either way, you would essentially need to plant a living fence between them and the stuff you want to protect.

I think I would start with the peonies (especially since I love them and can't grow them here). At least that way you won't be encouraging them to come and bring their friends.

Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

we have planted all kinds of things the deer don't like as much around the stuff they like and it seems to keep them away a bit. BUT not always. The other day the nicest rose bush was crunched back down to the ground.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

The thing that works best for me is the scarecrow water thing, but it's a pain to deal with. The past year of so I've just let them eat the roses. I have too many other things to worry about right now. I doubt if planting other things near the roses will help my situation since the dear walk the narrow strip between my house and the neighbor's house every night to get water from the pond. They are already accustomed to eating the roses on the way through and will know to look for them. That might work better for hiding things from deer who haven't found the stuff yet.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Curses. Now I can't sit with the raccoons at the buffet because of the mosquitoes. All summer I've been using mosquito spray and wipes left from last year. I was very lucky to have them left over, but they ran out last week. You would think by now the mosquito problem would be winding down anyhow. I was hoping I could get by now w/o spray, but not such luck. Actually, the mosquito problem is worse than ever now. It may be due to all that rain we were having several weeks ago, but suddenly we are inundated with a mosquito problem so huge it has been one of the news headlines all week.

The past 2 days w/o spray, I couldn't stay out there with the mosquitoes. Those things are huge. They are practically birds! They are all over me, slamming in to me. I can actually feel them bumping in to me. That's how big they are and how many. Both days I could barely stay long enough to put the food out and run. They are eating me up the whole time. They're awful. And now we don't seem to have the dragon flies on patrol like in summer. I guess maybe they are gone for the season. In summer they are usually flying and hovering close around me, diving in close to gobble up mosquitoes. They are a comforting sight, but even they are no where to be seen now.

I need to pick up some more cat food anyhow. I'll just have to get another bottle of spray at the same time. Anyhow, that's why no stories the last few days. I just haven't been able to stick it out with those huge mosquitoes all over me and no spray. I've been putting the food out and leaving, so I haven't seen the raccoons. I left them biscuits (w/ cat food) for 2 days. Today I left some stale (corn) taco shells. Still cleaning out old things from the pantry.

That's just wrong, to have monster mosquitos this late in the season! The big reason I prefer gardening in the fall is the absence of those bloodsuckers. It's a shame the raccoons won't munch on them like they do on the grubs.

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

It has been fun reading and watching all the videos. Nice to catch up with you.
I'm so glad to know the kits, Heidi, Widget, the kitties and you are all well. Sorry about the mosquitoes.

I've been telling you for years about your writing. It's about time you listened!

Hugs and love...

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

I love "listening"to your ongoing stories about Heidi and the group. Thanks also for the insight into your own abilities and way of thinking. I think in reading the threads above that possibly I have a better understanding of who you are than I have of most in my immediate family members. In sharing that with us you have really given of yourself that which few people would share. I feel it shows the trust you have in those of us that follow you in this adventure. THANKS!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

OMG, Sharran,

Is that really you?! It's so good to see you again! Have you been with us for a while, or did you just arrive? Either way, welcome back! (I stopped by your other place a time or two and started to send mail but always chickened out. Silly. I know.)

I did hear and greatly appreciate your words of encouragement. It has just taken a while for it to take effect.

Great to have you with us again.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Ruth,

LOL. Thank you for that verification. I was wondering if it was just me, but I really thought by this time the mosquito problem should be over. I mean, heck, it's practically Halloween, Thanksgiving even. Who ever heard of a gang of kids heading out on Halloween saying, "Did anyone bring the DEET? The mosquitoes are dreadful this time of year." Even the dragon flies apparently thought the mosquitoes would be gone by now, since they too have vacated the area and are no longer on the job (and I really miss their patrols).

And I'm telling you these are not normal mosquitoes, not the kind you notice only when you get that sudden pain when they stab you. I swear I can actually feel these things slamming into me as they fly around and land. I think this gang of mutants must have escaped from the Savannah River site. Maybe it's the numbers. The hungry horde that surrounds me out there is outrageous. They were not even this bad in summer; otherwise, I would have been eaten alive in the time it took just to apply my spray back then.

Local news says the mosquito population was exacerbated by all that rain some weeks back (when I was complaining about never seeing the sun for weeks) plus the lingering heat, humidity, high tides and so on. Mosquito Control said whereas this time last year they had 22 requests, this year they have 150 and counting.

That's another thing. It's still quite warm here. I'm sure that isn't helping. We haven't even had one chilly night to kill them off. Right now daytime highs are in the mid 80's, if you can believe it, with nighttime lows in the 70's. It's actually still a bit hot outside my mid afternoon. At night it's nice out but not at all chilly. Believe it or not, I'm still waiting for it to get really cool out so I can do yard work in the middle of the day w/o sweating.

Mosquito Control says the problem will end when it cools down. (rolling eyes because that will likely be January!)

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

I've always been here, just got behind on the last few threads.
Seems I'm busier now than when I had family and teaching taking up all my time. It's just a different kind of busy.
Fun, though.

Please don't be chicken. Chickens peck a lot and crow a lot and generally drive me crazy. And besides, you have all my other contact numbers and addresses anyway. Use them when I flit across your mind.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Now about that budget cat food I bought recently, you may be surprised at the use I found for it. You may also not approve...

I hated to just throw it out. I mean, heck, I bought it in the 1st place in an all out attempt to SAVE money. I was planning to set it aside perhaps in a separate bin in the fridge so it would last longer. I figured I would drag it out in emergencies like the occasional terrifying moment in early summer when the patio is crowded with famished, nursing moms and I suddenly realize that I'm out of food. It happens, and it's not pleasant. At such a moment ANY food would be better than nothing, anything to appease that crowd, a bone to throw them before a riot breaks out.

Then the other day Cocoa, who just may be getting a tiny bit spoiled, was looking at his Cat Chow and fussing. I actually don't think the cats like it as well as the 9 Lives and Friskies they had been eating. This surprises me considering that it costs a good 30% more. I've found, among other things, that the cats like variety. Who doesn't?

Earlier in the summer I had bought some 6 to 8 bags of cat food, mostly 9Lives and Friskies because that's what was on sale at the time. I labored over the flavor choices as though choosing my own meal from a menu, careful to get a variety of different flavors. While the raccoons had to finish one bag before going on to the next, I shuffled the cats' food around to provide constant flavor variety. If they had 'surf & turf' for 3 days, I might switch them to 'seafood' for a day or two and then maybe 'chicken' and so on.

I found from watching the cats that they really responded well to this plan. If there was a bit of the 'old' flavor on the dish when I added the new one, often they would rush to eat the new one. Sometimes they would jump back and forth checking both dishes to see which they preferred since one might be full of yesterday's flavor when the other gets filled with a new flavor. It was clear the flavor's really were different (I never was to sure about this) and that the cats enjoyed the variety.

Now they only had Cat Chow, whatever flavor that was. Maybe Cocoa was fussing about the lack of flavor variety. On a whim I ran to the kitchen, grabbed a single small handful of the budget food, and put it on one side of Cocoa's dish. He was delighted! That hit the spot. A different flavor. I really had expected him to taste it and then eat around it but was amazed to see that he ate every last bit of it.

Since he had a whole dish of the better food, I didn't feel so bad about giving him that little handful of the budget chow. Also, Cocoa eats like a small pony. I figure it must be the 'growing boy' syndrome. He eats and eats and eats pretty much munching off and on all day. By comparison, Kitty eats very little, just her 1/2 can plus a small amount of dry food, but Cocoa really gobbles up a LOT of food, much more than I had expected. (I really need to get that boy wormed.) Anyhow, I figure since he eats so much, a handful of the budget food here and there won't likely hurt him too much or deprive him of nutrients.

I gave him another handful today, put it on one side of his dish again. Once again, he gobbled it up while leaving the Cat Chow sitting there. I'm sure it's just the variety thing, but if it works for him, it works for me. Apparently, he's not as smart as Heidi.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Judy,

You often say such profound and thought provoking things. Sometimes I can't respond right away because I have to go think about it for a while - in case you wonder about the delay.

Thank you. On some level, deep down I think we all really just want to be understood. Even when we fear revealing our true selves for fear of being rejected, what we really want is to be understood and accepted for who we really are. Thus it is most heartening to hear that I am being heard, my inner self revealed and accepted.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Judy,

There were a couple of other things I wanted to say a while back in response to one of your other very thought provoking comments. That was the one I worked on for a while but was never able to get the words right to convey what I was trying to say. I'd like to try that again now.

At the time you had commented that some of my analysis (of the raccoons) had left you wondering if you perhaps weren't using your resources fully. I know that feeling. I've had it myself believe it or not, and I learned something very interesting one day about the circumstances that prompted it.

Now obviously there will be times when other people really do know things that we don't know as well as times when other people actually do have profound insights that have alluded us. That said, I had the opportunity to see that often what looks like amazing ability in others may just be the result of a difference in education and experience. Sometimes what looks like a truly, profound and earth shattering insight (on the part of another) may actually be little more than regurgitation of something they read somewhere, something we didn't read, something that thus looks like a brilliant insight to us. See what I mean?

I may have had some profound thought in analyzing the raccoons, but more likely than not, a lot of what looked that way was born of some combination of my years of education and experience as an engineer plus things I might have read on related topics. At the time I think I was talking about studies and the fact that my sample size was not statistically valid, something to that effect. As an engineer I have to analyze data, offer conclusions, and write papers or give presentations summarizing my thoughts. As such, I've read and studied the accepted methods for analyzing scientific data.

Each of us is the result of our own individual DNA plus a lifetime of accumulated education and experience. No two are alike either in the foundation DNA nor in the life experiences that shape it. No two are likely, therefore, to have the same insights and conclusions.

I suspect that you are using your resources just fine (after all, your comments often warrant extra thought on my part to respond), but I do appreciate the compliments that prompted this response.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

At times some of you will say something so profound that I have to go think about that a while (generally as what I like to call a 'background process', a concept derived from software and operating systems) before I can respond. As a result the response may take a while leaving you to wonder why I've overlooked you. It's always possible I may have actually overlooked your comment especially if there are many comments at once, or I may have simply forgotten although I try not to let that happen; but more often than not, I'm probably off thinking about things.

Sometimes I might respond to everyone else while I'm pondering things. Other times I might hold up all of the responses until I'm ready to respond to yours (therefore, you've managed to 'gum up the works' LOL).

Just know that I'm never intentionally ignoring you - and profound things that make us think a little harder are a good thing.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oh, and Ruth,

Yes, indeed, it surely would be fabulous if the raccoons ate mosquitoes. Cocoa chases and eats mosquitoes believe it or not. I imagine with him it's more about the challenge than the nutrients, but I'm happy either way. I see him do this late in the day when the mosquitoes are hovering around the doors and flying up against the siding. He like to jump up to catch them.

I've always liked dragonflies for their beautiful colors, but in recent years as I watch them flying around me snatching snacks right out of the air while I sit waiting for the raccoons to arrive, I've really learned to appreciate the work they do in keeping the mosquito population under control - and thanks to the mosquitoes we have some huge and healthy mondo dragonflies around here.

I've even gained greater appreciation for those huge garden spiders that stretch their giant webs across my paths. I've read that they also catch and eat mosquitoes - and I wish them well in their work.

You need bats, too--they eat tons of mosquitos. When I was stationed in Hawaii, we had mosquitos like yours. A truck would pass around the housing areas and spray. We used to joke that they should just shoot them with machine guns.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

ROTFLOL, KyWoods,

Love the image that conjures up.

They spray here, too, but they say they are seriously backed up with some 7x the normal # of calls/requests.

Now you see, about those bats, that's the part I cut from the post above when I decided it was too long. (lol) I was mentioning how I could use some bats around here or maybe some of those flycatcher birds I keep reading about. I don't know why we don't have bats in the community. With all the free food (mosquitoes) you would think some hungry, out of work bats would move in, but I've never seen any around.

Hmm....wonder how you go about mailing bats...lol

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Aww you just reminded me about the bat that hit (or did we hit him?)our windshield the other night while driving on a dark lonely country road. I felt so bad for the poor thing just trying to catch a meal or two!

Oh Cheryl, you are being funny comparing (even negatively) Cocoa's intelligence to Heidi's, right? No disrespect to Cocoa intended, but that's like saying that your local beer-drinking jock isn't as bright as a rocket scientist. Really??? You think??? Remember that I adore male cats; I've never met sweeter, more loving animals than many of the boy cats I've known, and can't imagine being without one or two in my life. But Heidi's intelligence is incredible even among a pretty universally clever species like the raccoon; and Cocoa, well, he's a male cat. Yes, there are exceptions - pretty smart male cats and less gifted raccoons - but still...

Yes, no doubt your continuing high temps and ridiculous rainfall are responsible for the population explosion of mutant mosquitos; but the temps, too, are just wrong. Our nights are routinely dropping into the 40's, and one or two have gone down to the high 30's. Can't imagine "autumn" routinely in the 80's; my condolences.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

LOL, Ruth,

You had me laughing this morning when I 1st read your comments - both on the Heidi vs Cocoa comparison and on the 80+ autumn weather here.

Yes, that comment RE Heidi was definitely intended tongue in cheek. It's difficult even to find a female who rivals Heidi, and I remember all to well your very insightful views on males vs females (in animals only, of course - she says with a knowing smile). You may notice that I didn't mention offering any of the new 'flavor' to Ms Kitty. (chuckle, chuckle)

It was the 'condolences' part that really got me RE the weather. We don't really have autumn here. We have something more like Spring followed by Summer Part 1, then Hel_, then Summer Part 2 (where we are now in the cycle) and finally a tiny winter. Most residents agree that the shift from Summer Part 2 to winter comes virtually overnight - some time in late January. You may recall that I usually still have the AC running at least part time on New Years Day.

It's still warm out, and the trees, of course, are all still quite green. Nothing to herald the approach of a new season. This lack of autumn chill not only means the mosquitoes get to hang around much longer here but also pollen producing plants like ragweed linger for months after they should be gone (cough, sneeze, sniffle) and outdoor pests such as fleas and others we won't mention also prosper. (I guess I'm probably not all that helpful in attracting new residents to our fair city.)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods,

I think you can fit several in the standard Express mail box.

(I'm kidding, of course. I don't really want to find a box at my front door with a lot of flapping sounds inside. lol.)

Actually, I think I may have had one or two bats when I 1st moved here. I recall them flitting about over my head a time or two when I went out at night. I was thrilled to see them out patrolling in my backyard. My best guess is that I inadvertently made them feel unwelcome when I filled the backyard with so many trees and shrubs and such. It's a lot more crowded back there now.

The changes made some species (like raccoons) feel more comfortable as they are less exposed back there now, but it also made others, especially large birds and probably bats, feel almost claustrophobic. It is virtually impossible for hawks, owls, and the like to maneuver through the maze back there while small song birds can easily fly around obstacles and between weeping willow strands. All the limbs and such in close proximity back there now no doubt make it hard for bats to maneuver. I figure they need a certain amount of time/space to detect and avoid obstacles in their path.

When I 1st moved here there used to be a gorgeous Great Blue Heron who would stand on a partially fallen (diagonal) tree trunk in the edge of the forest behind my house in late afternoon. He was an awesome sight, and I was thrilled to have him as a resident. The camera I had back then lacked the power to get a descent picture of him from any distance, unfortunately. He was not only beautiful standing upright in the forest edge, but I also loved to watch him take flight. He was oddly ungainly looking in those 1st few moment of flight as he ascended toward the sky, his large flapping limbs calling to mind some kind of prehistoric Pterodactyl.

After a few years my Heron friend stopped showing up. It would be a while before I realized why. Like the bats and raptors, the changes I had made to my backyard environment had made it less favorable for him. I gather he had been sitting in the edge of the forest watching the open backyard for some kind of prey item. Once I filled the space with all the plants it became pretty much impossible for him to navigate back there.

The loss of the heron and the bats were some of the unfortunate side effects of the changes I made to the backyard. On the plus side though, the backyard garden has been a welcoming addition for small birds and for the raccoons, both of whom now have places to hide from predators.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Sharran,

Glad to hear that you are keeping busy, fun busy.

I'm going to make a point to do that.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Judy,

I really hate it when I hit anything - or they hit me, however that works. Sometimes it just can't be avoided, but I hate it just the same.

Oh, goody, a longer ragweed season, no gorgeous fall weather and long period of foliage change in addition to a longer bug season; there's so much to love about your weather, lol. I used to have good friends in southern California who wanted to convert everyone they knew into moving there: such gorgeous weather, warm and sunny all year long, etc. Loved the people, but that weather sounded like my idea of h....; I love the season changes and hate hot weather. Unfortunately the deeper south sounds much the same: great, no doubt, for people who like it hot, not great at all for temperate climate lovers like me.

The primary essential for bat flight involves their takeoff pattern. They don't launch into the air like birds; instead they drop from their perch or roost and flap about for a bit before flying strongly enough to gain altitude and manuever. As agile and graceful as they seem in flight pursuing mosquitos, the takeoff is not a graceful procedure and requires, I think, 30 feet or more of open space. So yes, trees do pose significant obstacles for them. Probably why I've never been successful in drawing them to this property despite two roosting boxes, a pond next door, and lots of mosquitos, heaven knows; we have lots of very tall old oaks and pines plus all the young trees I've planted. Frustrating, I know; I'd love to have them on patrol here as well, mainly because I just love watching them.

Up in VA, our house was near to a large public swimming pool/slide park: very popular place and a total zoo in summer. But off season, I loved going there to walk the dog at dusk; the huge overhead lights would still be working in late September, though the park closed after Labor Day. Those lights drew swarms of bats at dusk, all busy hunting mosquitos and small moths, and Panda and I would sit on a bench to enjoy the show before walking home. One night we were sitting on "our" bench when a father arrived with his young son for a stroll in the park. When they noticed all the action around the lights, the father pointed it out to his son: "look at all those busy birds!" The four of us continued to watch the show for a while as I tried hard not to chuckle. If I'd pointed out that those were bats, they probably would have fled in terror (can't risk the kid catching rabies, you know); better to keep silent so we could all enjoy the spectacle.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

LOL That is too funny (birds). You ust be a fast thinker to have not let the cat ...er...bat out of the cage.

Just didn't want to spoil the moment for them, Sheri, and I knew the truth would've done so. Seemed the better part of valor to just keep still and swallow those chuckles...

I was complimenting you on your discretion and quick thinking.

Thanks, Sheri. I did understand that, but when telling the story in the past I've been told I was wrong not to educate them. Having tried to do so many times in other situations as an animal control officer (rarely with much success, given the deep-seated phobia many folks have about bats), that just seemed a situation in which it was best to leave well enough alone.

Yep, and snakes...people who kill snakes indiscrimately really irk me.

I'm with you, Ky. I used to get so frustrated with the "big strong men" who'd save the poor ladies by beheading every snake they saw with their trusty shovel. Especially in a small city which, like all cities, had boatloads of resident rodents. I really hoped they'd enjoy what replaced the snakes....

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Despite my objections, my well meaning neighbor (and family) who hates ALL snakes equally will even come over into my yard to kill snakes (the far side of my yard where it abuts that of the opposite neighbor even). I've tried several times to get them to understand the benefits of such nonvenomous snakes as the large (black) rat snake they finally managed to kill in my front yard and the garter snake they so proudly chased out onto the street (from my front yard) so they would not be guilty of killing it in my yard.

As they are otherwise very good neighbors (and no one is perfect), I've tried to get this across to them w/o damaging our otherwise wonderful relationship. I've tried to explain that as there are no poisonous snakes in the US with longitudinal stripes there is absolutely no chance of a mis-ID and no danger in allowing the garter snake to live and continue to eat rats. But sadly, everyone in that household is borderline phobic about snakes of any kind. At the mere mention of 'snake', they grab the hoe and start hacking at anything that slivers.

Ironically, once they managed to kill 'my' large rat snake, the garter snakes, and all the other nonpoisonous snakes in my yard, that void has now been filled by the more elusive (and better camouflaged) copperhead which has taken up residence in my backyard and which the neighbors never seem to see. Argh!

Edited to add: Killing the snakes in my yard is my neighbor's idea of a 'service'. As a female, I apparently need such help.

This message was edited Oct 19, 2010 10:20 AM

Omg...send them a thank-you note for the copperheads, and try to drive those over into their yard. LOL

What a shame. Rat snakes are known to eat Copperheads also!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.