Euphorbia parade

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Let's see your succulent Euphorbias!

I'll start with a few shots of baby trees. These E. ingens seedlings showing their colors. I like how this plant switches over from round to square growth. Also note volunteer seedling at bottom.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

The leaves mark new growth on these plants as they get older.

When the plant becomes a proper tree (this one 2-3 ft tall), the leaves are much less dramatic. But this is all new growth as of a week or two ago (the plant spends many months dormant in pots here). So it's great to see this happen.

E. bupleurifolia just started a second wave of new growth a couple of weeks ago.

E. clandestina stem turned from green to purple once it started getting more sun.

The dog in the picture is the late Fela, named after Fela Kuti of course. Black and proud. Totally nuts to the end.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2010 11:59 AM

E. susannae. What a plush plant.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks for starting this thread for pics, Baja. I don't have too much to contribute yet, but here is my shot. I'm proud of the E. canariensis since it was a much smaller cutting from a friend this past Spring. The little ones are from WM and I transplanted one into its own pot. All seem to be doing well. And there is E. polygona 'Snowflake' in the front. The yucca, aloes, and so forth are in the pic because I am an amateur photographer. Sorry about that.

Fela was your dog?

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

This is E. resinifera variegated. It loves full sun

Thumbnail by 48flash
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

and this is E. antisyphillitca. Also a sun worshiper

Thumbnail by 48flash
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

and E. ammak variegated. I have 2 more of these for this pot as soon as they heal from rot due to overwatering at Lowes.

Thumbnail by 48flash
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

and finally these guys: Top back from left to right; E. mammillaris variegated, E. horrida "snowflake", E. milii, E. tirucalli "flame", top front row left to right; E. obesa, E. flanaganii, E. no id, bottom row left to right; E. polygona "snowflake", E. flanaganii cristata, and E. anoplia
I also have a half dozen new ones that I picked up this week. They are not yet in their clay pots and a couple are no id. I'll shoot some pics tomorrow

Thumbnail by 48flash

Wonderful little set there. Hmmmm... don't see any fire in that tirucalli, you sure it isn't the normal (green) kind? Also a fine plant, and much more vigorous, at least here. And that E. resinifera is inspiring in its maturity (younger plants are not so impressive).

Cville, your Euphorbia tree looks statuesque. Does it make red flowers & fruits? Yes, Fela the dog was my friend for life.

Euphorbia flanaganii here is flowering like mad. Little droplets of nectar on each flower.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2010 7:05 PM

Two much smaller medusoid Euphorbias: E. inermis, E. gorgonis.

E. ingens. 5-part flowers, 3-part fruits.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Wow ... nice shots and wonderful plants! The all have such varied and interesting forms ... everything from trees to crested to the polys that look a bit like little hot air balloons. The only Euphorbia I had in CA was Crown of Thorns, but it was a nice one.

48flash, I am impressed with your Euphorbias as well as your grass there in AZ! I must head over to Lowe's again today to see what they have on their "rescue" shelves.

Baja, no, the E. canariensis didn't bloom or fruit this year. Do you think that is because it was just transplanted last Spring? It did grow by leaps and bounds over the summer, it seems. Wish I had taken a shot originally. So sorry that Fela is no longer with us.

This pic of my small group might be a bit better.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

where is the variegation on the Euphorbia resnifera? Not seen a variegated one

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Palmbob, when I purchased the E.resinifera years ago, I was told that this was a variegated form and that the standard form, which I also have, is a much darker green

This message was edited Sep 19, 2010 11:23 AM

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

E. lactea and E.lactea crested. These grew about 4 inches this summer

Thumbnail by 48flash
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Some new ones not yet in clay pots: E. cereiformis, E. ferox, E. suzannae, E. spiralis

Thumbnail by 48flash
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

also new, but no ID for these 3

Thumbnail by 48flash
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

E. flanaganii. This is one of 2 that I have. For some reason this one always has this "helter skelter" look, never neat and tidy like the ones pictured in the books. Even more strange, the second one forms this wild habit in late summer, stays that way through winter, and then returns to a nice tidy form in spring. ?????????????

Thumbnail by 48flash
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I have a feeling that Lowe's and the other big box stores ship more c&s out that way than here ... which makes sense. I'm sure they sell more there. The selection here isn't too great but sometimes they have some very nice things.

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

bump

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

not sure I've ever seen Euphorbia resnifera come in green. I think yours are the only color they come in. Either way, they look nice and healthy.

Here's one of my recently planted Euphorbias, royleana

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Euphorbia echinus

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Euphorbia mayurananthani (never can spell that one right)

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Euphorbia desmondii

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

One of my Euphorbia pots with about a dozen different species in it.

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Euphorbia stellata

This message was edited Sep 19, 2010 10:51 AM

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Euphorbia jansvellensis

Thumbnail by palmbob
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Bob -- What size is that pot with the dozen Euporbias in it?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Palmbob, Here's a picture off the web of the darker green E .resinifera. Is it a different plant or just normal color variation? I have seen many small ones that were darker yet.
Love all your Euphorbias. I have not seen most of those varieties available around here, so it's fun to look.
PS: Please help If you can offer any ID for my no name E's----THANKS

This message was edited Sep 19, 2010 1:30 PM

Thumbnail by 48flash
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

here's a typical colony of this plant, outdoors in so Cal...

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

here's another shot taken with a diff camera... color showing up brighter, probably due to the camera, not the plant

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

the pot with the Euphorbias in it is a standard strawberry pot- here's probably a better shot of it showing the Euphorbia richardsiae blooming (red flowers) in November, last year

Thumbnail by palmbob
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

here's the same pot after putting it together nearly two years earlier

Thumbnail by palmbob
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

The pot is beautiful. To change the subject just a minute, in the first picture taken 2 years out from planting is that Graptopetalum paraguayense in the upper right or ? I just got a start of G.p. Forgive the spelling if it isn't right.

Which of the Euphorbias are the most cold hardy?

That strawberry pot was quite ambitious, and it turned out great. And that E. stellata looks like a deep-sea creature. Just crazy.

Lots of plants in that series are totally new to me, so thanks for the pix.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

This has been a magical and exciting thread. Now you have me interested in Euphorbias. palmbob and 48flash where ever do you get all these delicious plants. I never see anything like those around here. And 48flash, are all the plants shown in your garden?
I am off to Spain tomorrow for one month (with my camera) maybe I can find some good unusual Euphorbias (or anything else) with name tags that I can take pics of and then post. May even smuggle home (je je je).
Xuling

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Safe travels Xuling. I took a cruise from Barcelona to Lisbon a couple of years ago with a stop in Morocco. That trip was wonderful. I hope you make it to Granada and can see the Alhambra palace and grounds.
Yes, the Euphorbias I have pictured are all mine. Most are fairly common, not rare and unique like Palmbob's. I also have a few pots of E's at my daughters house; just not enough room for everything here. The Euphorbia are great plants for AZ as they take the heat pretty well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.