Waiting for the Osprey eggs to hatch.

PERTH, Australia

We've come from here:- http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1122302/

The first thread for this Osprey season is here:- http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1109408/

Here's a shot of Dad flying very close overhead the other day. He was so close I couldn't fit all of him in the viewfinder.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

I've been going to the nest every two to three days, but haven't been posting as there really hasn't been much to tell. Both birds take turns sitting on the eggs (I'm optimistic that there will be more than one chick this year). Dad seems to enjoy sitting more than Big Hook. She gets quite restless, whereas he will gladly sit still until she feels obliged to take over.

Osprey males are known to actually feed their mates during incubation. Neither Pete nor I have ever seen Dad feed either Old Ma Osprey or Big Hook. Big Hook has actually been going off and catching her own fish every so often.

A few days ago, Big Hook was on the nest when I arrived. Not long after, Dad flew by with a live fish, but went and had a feed himself for twenty minutes or so, before returning to the nest with the headless fish for Big Hook. She flew off with it, but returned to the nest half an hour later, with the remnant, tail end of the fish. That's Dad on the nest.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

You may be able to make out the she has something in her claws and her eyes are locked on Dad.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

She touches down - Dad is looking at the fish.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

She tears a piece of fish off and walks towards Dad.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Now, this is the truly remarkable thing. She started feeding him. Unfortunately, his back was towards the camera and the transfer isn't visible, but you may be able to make out that she has fish in her beak and has her head tilted sideways - typical when feeding. It was the most amazing behaviour I've seen.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

She returned to the fish, still held in her claw and tore off another piece for him.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

She's offering him the second piece, which he took. He didn't beg for the food and although he took it, he seemed a bit nonplussed by her gesture.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

He then moved to the other side of the nest, still with his head down. Big Hook had a big yawn - the nictitating membrane is over her eye.

That's it for now. I'll head off to the nest in a few minutes, but will only post if there's anything particularly interesting going on.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Just one more before I head off. He turned and looked around as if to say: "What the heck was that all about"?

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Melbourne, FL

Just getting ready for the babies that will soon arrive. They are sure a sweet couple, Margaret. Don't you wish sometimes when you miss a shot, it could be like Hollywood and "let's try that one again". I sure do. Your shots are all wonderful.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Big Hook knows the secret of a good woman....always keep them guessing! LOL

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Wow! She brought him food and fed it to him! And, you were there to capture the pictures! How wonderful. Great pictures Margaret.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Beautiful pics Margaret!

Marlton, NJ

What a great couple! I love Big Hooks independence and Dad loving the role reversal. How wonderful to see all this! Lovely shots Margaret!

PERTH, Australia

GP, you're so right about being able to do a re-take. He is the most beautiful bird imaginable. He is such a good provider and wants to be there, on the nest, doing his share - well, he wants to do more than his share. He spends most of his time standing by her when she is sitting and gives her a bit of a nudge to encourage her to move so he can sit on the eggs.

LOL, nanny. She sure did that by feeding him the other day.

Thanks, Granny G. Pity the angle wasn't better so I could capture the actual transfer of the food.

Hi, BeaHive. Thanks

Pelle, it really is great to see them interacting the way they are. She's a feisty one, though.

I managed to get a couple of shots of the EGGS this afternoon. Definitely two, possibly three. My lens just doesn't have the reach needed to get clear shots, but hopefully you'll be able to see two pale coloured eggs with dark markings at the point of the arrow.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

I wasn't going to post this one, but on the full screen on the computer, it looks like there are three eggs. I'll keep on checking as they move the eggs around. It may become clearer, one way or the other.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

A quick shot I managed to get of Big Hook chasing a Raven around.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Very nice photos! What a cute couple...they seem very happy.

Big Hook looks like she is playing tag with the Raven ;o))

^_^ Sure looks like 3!!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Triplets...how exciting!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Your photos are superb Margaret and the story of each photo just makes each one perfect. I've sure learned a lot from your personal experiences, thank you for all the time you put into these amazing pictures.

Looks like three eggs to me, too. Yippee!

Sandusky, OH

Wonderful pictures of the proud couple Margaret!! Now we know why Dad really wants to share in the duties...he's a (Proud Papa)! And Big Hook seems to have some admiration towards him with her activitys. This is a wonderful event unfolding..thanks for sharing this with us as always.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Just amazing!!!, As I was reading your descriptions of the activities happening at the nest, It brought me back to the two previous seasons at the nest. How remarkable, how each has it's own fascinating story. And I'm so anxious to see, how this one will turn out, with 2 or3 offspring.

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

Iam with Burn ,going to be very Interesting.Been waiting on this thread Thank you Margaret,great work as always = }

PERTH, Australia

Thank you one and all for your ongoing interest. There's not terribly much going on at the nest at present. Big Hook and Dad continue to take turns sitting on the eggs (it's so nice to be able to say that). I took lots of shots this afternoon during shift change. However I can see only two eggs, not three, as I thought there may have been the other day. It's not easy to get a good view right into the nest because of the angle, so you never know, there may end up being three eggs. These are the times that I really wish I had a longer focal length lens. The 400mm simply doesn't have the reach.

Here's Big Hook walking towards the eggs. Ospreys land and walk with their claws bunched up to avoid puncturing or otherwise damaging the precious lives developing within the eggs.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

I was pretty pleased with this shot of Big Hook coming in for a landing in the late afternoon light.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Nice shots Margaret. 2 or 3 eggs.. it is exciting either way!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

I agree with BeaHive, it doesn't matter how many eggs.

Beautiful photos Margaret. Gosh, I wouldn't worry about the longer lens, your pictures are crystal clear. I'd forgotten about the bunched up claws-thanks for the reminder.

Wonderful shots Margaret. Amazing, how they curl their claws up to avoid damaging the eggs. Surely are amazing, wonderful birds. No matter how many eggs, we know there are some there! I just love this thread.

ditto on the # of eggs...just as long as they get one healthy chick!

Marlton, NJ

Lovely shots Margaret!

Sandusky, OH

Very nice shots Margaret! How many days into incubation are the Ospreys now?

PERTH, Australia

Thanks, folks and you're absolutely right. As long as the chicks are healthy, who cares how many there are.

They also land and walked with their claws bunched all the time the chicks are on the nest.

Burd, today is day 32.

Here we are, not even a month into spring and the temperature today has been over 28C (82F). I would think that's why our Ospreys nest so early, so that the chick/s fledge before the summer hits with a vengeance.

First full day of fall here and supposed to be 95F!!

Same here Nanny. And hotter tomorrow! Yech!

PERTH, Australia

Yuck.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Not sure which I'd rather have, that or the 11°C I'm getting tomorrow!

Resin

PERTH, Australia

I'd have what you're having, Resin.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.