Waiting for the Osprey eggs to hatch.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh YAY!!!!!!!!!! Just look at the expression on Big Hooks face.......

This is so exciting....The next chapter is begining!!^_^

PERTH, Australia

It is really exciting, isn't it?

I've just been over to the nest and we have TWO CHICKS! Dad came along with the remains of a fish. Big Hook ate before giving the two little ones a feed. I will go back this afternoon with camera and see what I can get. Stay tuned.

South Hamilton, MA

great for both--hope it stays at two.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

YAY! The sibling has arrived!!!!

PERTH, Australia

The chicks are far more visible in the nest at this very early stage than they have been in previous years, when we'd be lucky to catch a glimpse of them during the first few days. Even seeing the eggs has been a first.

From this afternoon. Dad brought a live fish to Big Hook on the nest who took it with great gusto. She had a feed herself, but the poor fish was still alive by the time she started feeding the chicks. In this first shot, Dad is making the delivery. Look towards the base of Big Hook's tail and you should see both chicks.

Thumbnail by MargaretK

oh. look how cute those little two are!!!

PERTH, Australia

Big Hook feeding the chicks. They are so incredibly beautiful.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Incredible! I am just amazed. They are wonderful parents!

PERTH, Australia

They're pretty amazing, aren't they?

The end of the day and Big Hook is settling down over the chicks. Just one is barely visible at the base of her wing. That's all for tonight.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

What beautiful a family! The twins are so cute, and sweet looking. We're so ever lucky to be observing their development through Margaret's lens. Thank you Margaret, for sharing the wonderful experience with us.

What a beautiful family portrait that first one is!!

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Those chicks are adorable! What a great family. Thank you Margaret for making it possible for us to see this spectacular story unfold.

Marlton, NJ

They are so sweet Margaret! Nice shots!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

It's so exciting to know that there are now two little ones. Your photos are always so clear and sharp Margaret and it gives us the feeling that we are there watching the nest with you. Great job!

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Oh how wonderful Margaret! They look like little Angels! Also very proud parents! I wonder if they need a babysitter? I bet there are a lot of folks in here that would volunteer! lol

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Me first!!! lol how I would love to be near, to experience all of this. Thanks a bunch Margaret.

Perth, Australia

Margaret,
Some great early shots of the twins. I'm very envious - folks I was down at the site yesterday but not as high as Margaret and given the time of the year we were hidden from each other. I saw the twins through the side of the nest rather than looking down so nothing to compare with Margaret's efforts. There's a fair degree of activity and as Margaret indicated dad returned with a live fish yesterday which mum proceeded to feed to the chicks (and her self). What was interesting was observing behaviour I've not previously observed, namely after 15 mins or so, dad returned to the nest from his look out and took the remaining half of the fish off to his tree to finnish. Typically it's the other way round - he delivers a half eaten fish. I've no explanation and can only speculate that

a) He's scared of Big Hook!
b) Maybe when this young it's easier for the chicks to eat 'fresh' fish - more moist.......................

Margaret any thoughts? Also, it's probably worth pointing out that this year to date it's been unseasonalyl warm in Perth already. This week will likely hit 30-31. I wonder if this will impact feeding, development?

Pete

PERTH, Australia

I have bad news. One of the chicks is dead.

Big Hook had fed both chicks and was moving a stick close to where the chicks were. She stumbled and her left foot connected with one of the chicks and it was sent flying to the edge of the nest. Of course it was far too young to be able to move back to the nest cup. Big Hook glanced at it, but made no move to go over to it. Until the down is replaced by the dark feathers at about 10 days of age, they have no ability to regulate their own temperatures and it doesn't take long for them to die of exposure. Over about 50 minutes, this poor little darling slipped further between the sticks at the edge of the nest. Dad came along and glanced at it briefly, but as with Big Hook, was not perturbed. Even if they had been concerned, there wouldn't have been anything they could have done to return it to the nest cup. I may be wrong, but I can't imagine that they would have the "dexterity" to be able to pick the chick up with their beaks - or their talons - without causing it puncture or crush wounds. Maybe nature has hardwired the parent birds not to try to rescue what is irretrievable.

I know you will all be concerned about me, but I'm OK. It was distressing to witness, but the chick did not appear to have suffered and was dead within an hour and both parents appear to have immediately accepted what happened with a healthy degree of nonchalance.

I've spoken with both Pete and Madame X, so they are aware of what has happened.

South Hamilton, MA

So sorry Margaret. Chicks are so vulnerable that perhaps at this stage the parents are programed to not be bothered. Remember, only one survived 2 yrs ago.

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Sorry to hear of the loss of one of the chicks. They both looked so healthy but one never knows what nature has in store. Hopefully, the remaining chick will grow into a healthy adult.

:(

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

Iam with linth..

Marlton, NJ

Sorry to hear this Margaret. It must have been difficult to witness. Hoping for the best with the remaining chick.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm saddened!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Hard way to start the day with this sad news. Heaven has a new little angel! If you picture the little chick with angel wings it helps!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

I'm so sorry Margaret. It's the way of nature and we have to accept it, but it still hurts. I can only imagine how you felt when you had to write this posting.

We'll all just hope that the remaining chick will survive.

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Oh Mags, I am so sorry...very sad. But I am so thankful that both did not fall!!

You may have answered this before...
Ducks will nest again if all ducklings die, will Osprey?

How awful you had to see it but yet, being a witness to the accident, you do know and it is not a mystery as to what happened.

Look forward to more happy reports about the remaining chick!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from duckmother :
Ducks will nest again if all ducklings die, will Osprey?

No; their nesting period is too long, they don't have time to start over.

Resin

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Sorry to hear about the chick, Margaret. So sad.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Such a sad turnout for the little one, so sorry. Hope for the best for the other one.

PERTH, Australia

First off, I have some rather astonishing news. There was a third egg! Madame X was watching this morning and could see Big Hook feeding the surviving chick and there, next to it was a tiny little head. There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that the poor little thing that was sent flying yesterday perished. Now, we've got to hope that this new one is able to get its share of food because the other chick is either 3 or 4 days older and will be dominant. This new hatchling, which has its own perils, has taken the edge off the sadness.

I'll go to the nest this afternoon and will update later.

This message was edited Oct 5, 2010 11:59 AM

Sandusky, OH

Seems like a miracle that another new life has been discovered shortly after the unfortunate mishap. Glad to hear the good news!

London, United Kingdom

Oh so sad that the chick was killed. However great to hear that the third egg has hatched.

unsteady With regard to the behaviour of the male I have seen all sorts of behaviour. I would say that normally the male delivers a fish with the head eaten. There are a number of theories why this is so. One is that the head is the most nutritous part of the fish and one has to keep the male well fed as at the end of the day it is the male which determines the success of the nest. I have often seen live fish delivered to the nest and these can create havoc. Also more than one has managed to escape over the side of the nest.

Sometimes the male delivers the fish and later comes back to steal the last bit if times are hard. Very hard to watch when food is scarce.

It also depends somewhat on the size of the chicks. When the chicks are growing quickly there is seldom anything for the male to take away.

I have seen the male take away a piece of fish and then bring it back later. I think the reason why the male takes the fish away is to keep the nest clean. However as always this varies from male to male.

This message was edited Oct 5, 2010 6:52 AM

Perth, Australia

Margaret,
Great news - lets hope that the wee one feeds well. I reckon if she can survive to WE chances are good.
Tiger, thanks for the insights and your commentary much appreciated, fascinating and all very plausible. From our perspective I would rule out only the scarce food story. I've been observing these Ospreys for 4 years now and fish has never been a problem-in fact the Swan is full offish - this morning I saw 3 dolphin within 5m of the river bank chasing a school of fish!. With the chicks presence, when the male departs the nest or surroundings he always is back within the hour with a fish. Hadn't thought of the threats a live fish poses - but yes makes sense the dangers.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Great news to start the day!

Perth, Australia

Tiger,
In follow up to your previous post I'm including a series of shots from the past WE - I was in a different location to Margaret. In this first shot you can see dad arriving with a fresh fish - it was pretty big as you can see from the photo the lower half of the fish is large.

Thumbnail by unsteady
Perth, Australia

In this second photo mum now has control of the fish, which you can see is 'alive' and bleeding profusely. There was a careful hand-off from the male away from the centre of the nest.

Thumbnail by unsteady
Perth, Australia

This third image was taken after around 15 minutes when dad returned to the nest from a near by branch / lookout to claim his spoils. Mum had been feeding herself and the two chicks. If you look carefully you can see one of the chicks in the lower part of the photo mid way along the bottom edge. There's a little gaping mouth. There's still plenty of fish left.

Thumbnail by unsteady
Perth, Australia

Apologies, the third photo is the wrong one - it'sone of mum ready to apply the coup de grace. Here's the photo I was referring to.

Thumbnail by unsteady

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.