Waiting for the Osprey eggs to hatch.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

You're certainly welcome to the rain and floods ;-)

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Boo rain and floods.

Hot and windy here today. Really hoping for thunderstorms with lots of rain tonight as everything is really struggling.

Love the incoming shot, Margaret.

PERTH, Australia

Right, I'm sure we can work something out. Resin, I'll take the rain, but will pass on the floods. Mrs Ed, I'll take some of your rain as well, but you can keep your thunderstorms. Anyone for record dryness with increasing heat?

South Hamilton, MA

got that!

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

We sure have the dryness--12 inches behind in rainfall. Calling for a high of 90 again today!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

The rain fell apart once in Indiana...we didn't get any. We are about 6 inches behind. Cold front is moving thru now....by Monday the high will only be 70F and maybe another chance for rain.

Sandusky, OH

65F here all weekend...ahhh.

Same here burd, but some showers today maybe. Since we're waiting while all this egg sitting, here's a somewhat off-topic item. I was playing a computer word jumble/twist the other day and the "big" word was Osprey. Yay for me!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

was that Twist Text??? I love playing that...trying to keep the old brain working!

Not TT, but one similar. Jumbline on my ipod.

Yah, I keep thinking that if I do word games I'll keep sharp. It's been about 3 years now and "it ain't workin'!"

Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

Cool, the babies are here.

This message was edited Sep 27, 2010 11:04 PM

Wha??? what babies? where?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yes, what? where and how did it happened? LOL. I'm eagered to find out.

PERTH, Australia

Well, no chicks yet, as far as I know. I've been away for a few days but will check this afternoon and will let you all know one way or the other.

And talking of weather, duc, are you copping that ghastly heat?

PERTH, Australia

Today is day 40 since the first egg was laid. I think there must only have been two eggs laid and my idea that there were three was a product of an overactive imagination. So two eggs.

I went to the nest yesterday afternoon. Big Hook was bringing in more nesting material, but otherwise no activity.

I won't be able to go to the nest until Sunday, but I'm sure that Madame X will let me know if there's exciting news.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Big Hook looks beautiful and devoted to her partner and future offspring(s). Thanks Margaret for the update.

London, United Kingdom

I am making my first post here at an exciting time. The hatching must be due at any moment. I have not seen Aussie ospreys hatch before so I am not familiar with their incubation period.

This message was edited Oct 1, 2010 6:19 AM

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

welcome Tiger you picked a great thread to start on,we are all waiting for the babies!!!!

Marlton, NJ

Welcome to the Bird Watching forum Tiger!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Margaret, Big Hook is just beautiful!! That's okay if there's only two eggs. The main thing is that the little ones hatch and grow up strong and healthy.

Welcome Tiger!

South Hamilton, MA

incubation period?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Incubation is 35-43 days for northern hemisphere Ospreys; don't know if Australian ones differ. But worth mentioning that some authorities (including the IOC) have now split Osprey into two species, Western Osprey Pandion haliaetus in Europe, Asia, and the Americas, and Eastern Osprey Pandion cristatus in Australia: http://www.worldbirdnames.org/n-raptors.html

Resin

PERTH, Australia

Welcome, Tiger. I'm glad you've joined this band of brothers.

I just checked the thread from last year and Harmony hatched at 40 days. I was a novice when Aussie and its sibling hatched, so have no idea how long the incubation period lasted in 2008. I really want the hatching to be on Sunday as I'm working tomorrow.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

How exciting it's! Due date seems to be right around the corner!!! ^_^

PERTH, Australia

We have a chick! I received a call from Madame X a short time ago. She reports their behaviour as being quite different yesterday afternoon and then, this morning Big Hook was feeding a chick. I'll drop by the nest on the way to work this afternoon and give an update when I get home.

Melbourne, FL

That's great news, Margaret. Congratulations!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm absolutely ectastic! Pass the cigars please! ^_^ Congrats Margaret and all those birders like myself that follow this thread.

Yay Babies!!! Glad one is here at least and continued health for both babies and parents.

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Oh Boy! I am so excited that we are all Aunts and Uncles...again ;o)

Welcome, Tiger!

PERTH, Australia

I couldn't wait until I was on my way to work, so went down the nest late this morning. The weather wasn't reflecting my buoyant mood - it was drizzling! Every now and again, Big Hook would move position and I got a brief glimpse of a tiny, buff coloured chick. I've cropped both photos to the max.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

That's it for today. I'll have much more time tomorrow and hopefully the weather will improve by then.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Awww, I can barely see the baby, but Mom is so tenderly looking at her chick. So I trust that the bundle of joy is there. Thanks Margaret for the latest pics.

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

WOO WHOO,let the story begin,Congrats Margaret

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Congratulations to you, Margaret, and of course to the happy couple and their offspring!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Yeah! I am so excited to watch them grow.

Marlton, NJ

Oh I see the baby. Very sweet!!!

Sandusky, OH

Ahhh congrats Margaret! New life and new stories! Doesn't get any better than this.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks for the great news, looking forward, to the wonderful event of the season.

London, United Kingdom

Congratulation on the hatching. Dad will have his work cut out for him in the weeks and months ahead.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I have been posting in a lot of osprey forums around the world but although I have lurked here for at least a year this is the first time I have joined in.

This message was edited Oct 2, 2010 7:46 PM

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Yahoo! I'm excited for you Margaret-and for all of us! It's so great to see the little one looking so pampered. Thanks for taking the time to get the first pictures! Now you have to think of a name for this little one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.