Daily Butterfly Pictures Page 82

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1125490

As the season begins to wind down for us up north, peak season is around the corner for those of you in the south.

The later season here brings more skippers to the yard. Silver-spotted skipper.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

And I always like to break out the butterfly brew in the fall. This afternoon I had three red admirals. A far cry from the 20 earlier this year, but I'll take it!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

This one decided it would rather soak up the goodness in the dirt next to the bait log.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Silver Spotted Skipper assemblage.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Nice Pearl Crescent on the previous thread jmorth.

Thanks for a new thread Marna...at 231 replies I think it was time!

I am still waiting on the elusive first Monarch I can tag. I don't have any and only a few Queens each day.....no eggs or cats.

So I will have to show my GST on the Satsuma Orange tree. There were about 32 eggs, then the heavy rains hit. I am sure some were lost to that. But I still have a bumper crop. Since they are very abundant this year I am not bringing them in.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks Shelia. Skipper density continues - 5 and a moth

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

4 skips, 2 bucks, and a crescent

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

3 bucks

Thumbnail by jmorth
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Your statement sounds like it would make a good country song jmorth....
jmorth wrote:
4 skips, 2 bucks, and a crescent

Took me a few minutes to find this pic....they seem to be doing fine and growing nicely.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the new thread!!

Wow Jack, you are in butterfly heaven there.

Shelia. That's just great about the GSTs. And congrats MJ on the monarchs. I'd send you all my swamp milkweed if they would eat it!

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Sulphur

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

couple of Crescents

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Monarch

Thumbnail by jmorth

Couldn't believe my eyes the other night! 4 BST cats on the fennel, which almost all gone and going dormant now.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

wow. Well those are the over-winter ones. I've been checking mine, nothing.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

nanny...looks large enought to pupate without problems if it runs out of food. I don't bring in those that overwinter after one emerging in a freeze and no place to release it.

I was super excited today to see a Mourning Cloak at the butterfly brew! This is the first half-way decent shot I've been able to get of one because they are usually so fast and don't sit for long. I guess brew is the trick!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

And here it is with closed wings. I love this butterfly. Ha. well I love most of them.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Marna,
I may have to send out an emergency rations call if this batch sticks around long enough to lay eggs..........60 in cages in various stages of just about to form J's to forming J's to in their chrysalis. And we counted 30 more on one plant the other day, and found another dozen or so on some outlying plants. There's not alot of milkweed left either. A friend of mine who stopped by yesterday says she thinks she's got enough to keep me covered.
Found 6 Black Swallowtail cat's on the fennel.
But.......not one single Zebra Longwing this year. I'm very worried that the freezes we had last year really put down the population. I've got plenty of Passion vine - the Gulf Frit's sure haven't had a problem finding it ! LOL...
Who else in the South has had Zebra Longwings ? A good amount, just a few ?
I'd like to know for peace of mind that something weird is not going on with them or they just don't love me anymore )-:

This message was edited Sep 17, 2010 1:13 PM

well if you need… i'm here! My swamp milkweed is looking a little ragged though. It's been so dry here. Nice tall plants, but look like they are getting a fall color.

Are the ZLWs irruptive at all? This has been a really good year for the Red Admirals, not so much the years before. HOping that you longwings are just experiencing an off year. They are really adorable.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Congrats Mrs Ed on the Mourning Cloak pic, I've yet to see one verifiable myself.
mjsponies, the black BF you posted in former forum is a Sooty Wing, one of the skippers.

Thanks J. Really made my day! Ha. slow days!

Since there's no wind today, the brew station seems like a busy place. The Cloak was back and several red admirals. This one was slightly off focus, but I wanted to closely crop and show you the adorable proboscis.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Oooohh Congrats on the Mourning Cloak Mrs. Ed!!

I saw some type of frit but not sure which & no photo. It was smaller so I know it wasn't a Great Spangled and it looked to light to be a varigated.

The BST cats will stay out just like the last batch of 20 or so did. I have no idea if they got ate by birds or made it to pupate. I just left that part to nature.

This Buckeye kept following me one day. Like it was just begging for me to take a picture of it....so I did!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Buckeye and Skipper on aster

Thumbnail by jmorth
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

I haven't had Zebra Longwings. Lots of Gulf Frits but no Zebras. However at Fairchild Tropical Garden there are plenty !!!! I guess that they don't love us as much. I even got the Corky stemmed passion vine especially for them and nothing. My Monarch population has slowed down a bit.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

roly,
I've got Corkbark Passi, incarnata, Lady Margaret and Lady Lavender which last year the ZLW's loved. So I know it's not for a lack of host or nectar plants. Very strange.....

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I put some butterfly brew around on the tree and the deck railing but have not seen anything find it. I hung up flower pot holder that the small terra cotte's fit in, and found a plastic bowl that fit it. I put BB in with a plastic scrubbie. I have seen a Red Admiral and another one but don't remember the name of it. Not hoards of them like I the pictures I've seen. It rained over an inch the other day and it is pretty watered down now, so guess I should replace it. It is near where the hummingbird feeders are, would they deter the butterflies? I also have some on a plate in a hanging plant holder with cut up fruit, and have only seen one or two there. It is away from the hummers. Am I doing something wrong? I just am not just not having very good luck with the brew.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

6 Monarchs at the aster magnet

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by jmorth
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Quote from mjsponies :
roly,
I've got Corkbark Passi, incarnata, Lady Margaret and Lady Lavender which last year the ZLW's loved. So I know it's not for a lack of host or nectar plants. Very strange.....

I know it's kind of weird. I've got a bunch of passies too yet no Zebra Longwing. The Gulf Fritillaries love the Lady Margaret and the caerulea.

THERE's those gorgeous asters! Mine aren't blooming so much yet but last year they bloomed all the way to thanksgiving.

Crit, I think you just have to keep putting it out. I had the Red Admirals find it right away. I usually only have about 5 or less, but earlier this year when the Admirals were crazy in numbers, I had lots of those. I think the location is fine. I haven't seen the hummers interfere at all.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

No the hummers didn't mess with mine either. The ones I mainly had were Hackberry Emperor, Tawny Emperor and Question Marks. But don't expect them in droves like TPP (cat) has in her pictures. She lives in extreme south TX where bf are year round. Plus she took most of her pictures on or near the NABA down there.
I found I had to keep adding more BB to the logs, plus if you just made it, the rotten stink isn't strong enough yet! LOL!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Mrs. Ed. What is the butterfly brew? I don't frequent this forum often, but have been getting more and more interested in moths and butterflies.

Woodspirit, you'll find the recipe and pictures in the sticky for the butterfly forum along with other good info:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/744103/

more specifically:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=3702364

and then for a real treat, here's Cat's page on brew, etc.
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/TexasPuddyPrint/12610/

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Quote from Sheila_FW :
plus if you just made it, the rotten stink isn't strong enough yet! LOL!

Mrs_Ed! What did I say? Even Sheila says it has a rotten stink! I told you so!! Stick that nasty thing up my nose......hardy harhar

hahaha. That had hardly fermented at all! MMMM banana-y.

See, I made Terry smell it yesterday and she thought it was bad news.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Baahhhaaaaw!!!! Too funny!! It draws flies and bees too!

Yesterday was a small festival at Nachusa Grasslands, where I monitor butterflies for the state and Nachusa. I was to lead a kids butterfly tour, but it was really bad conditions. I put out some fruit and brew but had no takers except for a daddy long legs spider on a pear. Boo!

I think it smells yummy and if I were a butterfly I'd like it. :D I hate beer though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.