Sierra Foothill Gardening

North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

Hello fellow Californians!

Hi, I'm Sue and I wanted to say hello. I have recently, in gardening terms, (five years ago), moved from So Cal to the foothills near Yosemite and found a whole new gardening world here. I feel so lucky to live in a state that has so many diverse areas, our coastline, mountains and deserts, and have found it fun and challenging to garden in two totally different zones.

My Mom gave me my love of gardening by teaching me the names of plants as we walked and worked in her big garden in Garden Grove. Every Saturday, we four kids did 'yard work' and I couldn't stand it. Same old story, you don't like doing housework until it's your own house. I never loved gardening as much until I got my first one of my own and proceeded to plant a whole six pak of marguerites in a tiny 5x5 ft space. My mother raised her eyebrows and probably hid a smile.

When I started out gardening, my favorite thing to do was but six paks of flowers that hadn’t bloomed yet, just to be surprised when they did. I continue to learn, now, about gardening in higher altitudes, in deer country and where winters are colder (to 20 F) and summers are just as hot. My hubbie, LL, my Corgi, Maggie and I moved here when he retired.

I first discovered davesgarden while searching for plant IDs in Google images. Davesgarden would pop up so much that I started to notice, joined and now have been using the Journal and have been reading more forums. What a great site this is!

I've just started writing for the Examiner.com website as Madera County Gardening Examiner which hopefully will satisfy my gardening bug. It's an obsession. You all know. If anyone is in my area or zone (6-8) check out the link. Nice to meet everyone here. :-)

Sue
http://www.examiner.com/gardening-in-fresno/sue-langley

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Nice to meet you too Sue. Cute story of gardening with your mom. My kids used to help in the garden and hated it and you're right, until you have your own garden you don't appreciate it. You sure live in a beautiful area.
Great writing too!

This message was edited Sep 9, 2010 2:50 PM

North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

Hi Weegy,
Thanks! I was glad to see this forum listed. I did a search of members near me and there aren't that many! I'm spreading the word about davesgarden to my Garden club and in the column and some have subscribed to the newsletter, I think. It's great to compare notes with those with my same conditions, but I'm finding that there are more similarities than differences here to all gardeners in California.

Sue

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Welcome Sue

You have come to the right place. DG is so full of wonderful folks and information.

Sylvia
In Hemet, SO.CAL, zone 9

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Sue, I am the orphan from Las Vegas. My California gardening friends put up with me. I also intrude on the SW Group. They both are great groups. I am in zone 9b. I have been gardening in Las Vegas since 1960. Many things have changed over the years but I love it.

Evelyn on the Propagating thread is from Grizzly Flats. She has both hot and cold. She is a wonderful person. Come on over and join us. We are on the Propagating my way with Dave as our leader.

Again welcome, and let us know what you are looking for and we can lead you in the right direction on DG..

North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

Thanks you all, I know this is a huge collection of people giving their experience about individual plants. That's one thing that's invaluable.

I'd like to learn more about propagating for sure, so will check out that forum, thanks! Grizzly Flats looks to be in the higher elevations and although not very close to me, I'll be glad to compare notes with Evelyn. Thanks for your warm welcome!

Sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.