Plant propagation part XXI based on my own experience

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Hello to everyone and welcome:
To those new to our little chat. Plese feel free ask anything, as we try to keep it simple and fee l/we should always pass along our own knowledge. Lurkers are also welcome. Please check in if possible I would hate to loose someone in one of these switches.

wecame from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1124749/

As with all of the threads I stat I like to welcome anyone new to our little corner of Daves Garden. Please take the time to read all the past threads. Most of them have some great information in them. There are no dumb questions except for the 1 thats never asked.

Anyone new I highly recomend reading the propagation how to 1/4 of the way down the first incarnation of this thread.we have evolved to a mix of good people having fun and discussing issues we are having at the moment. if you need individualhelp just dmail me I am always glad to help.
here is the 1st post http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/892721/

welcome pic is from a seedling of gailardia
Dave

Thumbnail by Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I will try to check in tomorrow
Dave

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Glad to see you back Dave. Your return flight did not appear a pleasant one.

Hows the remodeling going?

MARY

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Ha ha can't hide from me, I always follow my nose and find you. :)
Been busy cleaning Mom's house, going through things and getting all priced for a garage sale. Boy what a job. Glad I did the quilting fabric a while back. Will be a huge amount of things for crafts. So many memories. Have about two more days of this and then I can get back to gardening. Fingers are aching to get dirt dirty instead of dust dirty. Anybody know anyone who collects the Dark emerald glass. There are roughly 300+ pieces that she had. When we wanted to get her a gift, we hit on her green collection, now what to do with all of it.
Dave, sounds like the trip from hades. Been there, done that, didn't like it one bit.
Hope all settles down in the next couple of weeks so I can be more vocal here, boy, aren't you all looking forward to that!!!!!!!!!! ;+)
Later---Lee

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Good to hear from both of you Dave and Lee!! So sorry about your trip Dave. I would not be able to stand one like it. I was teasing you about wintering the plant over. LOL, I jab JB and she jabs back. You get your feelings hurt. Please don't. Just teasing.

Lee, you know, this is crazy, but when I look around at all my crap and think, OMG my daughter would have to deal with all of this!! Not that I plan on going anywhere soon, but you never know.

What was she doing with the glass? I love the green glass. But, don't know what you do with it. You can tell I am not a craftsy person. heh heh I almost wrote crafty.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Lee, is the green glass in glasses and dinnerware?

Dave, when you moved the thread, I think you were asleep. I am just so sorry you had to endure the flight from hell. I would have been in tears from being up all those hours. I hope you are getting your strength back.

I just saw on another thread, one of Dawn's dogs died on the way to the vet. No other details.

Lee, I cleaned out my mother's home. Check all pockets. Mothers keep paper money in their pockets and in underwear drawers.

Jnette, I am with you about all the collectibles but I have begun to give them to the kids now. If they do not want them, they have been given permission to forward them to their friends. What I do not know is what will they do with all my tools.
Also i went through my kitchen utensils. Before I got rid of some, I had a least 17 spatulas. Every time I saw one I thought was "cool" I would buy it. Well I do not do that anymore. Same with Christmas decorations. Now if I could do that with tools.

The photo is a sport leaf on a Canna. On the left of the sport is a Picasso, which is solid green leaf with yellow flower. On the right of the sport is a Wyoming, which is red leaves with red flower. The sport has the Picasso flower with this leaf. I am only posting a photo of the sport leaf.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

I am reporting that a tragedy to one of this thread's participants has occurred.

Dawn rushed her beloved dog to an emergency vet when he started breathing heavy. He passed away less than an hour ago.

Dawn and her husband are besides themselves over the unexpected lost.

Please pray for them at this time of sorry.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

So sad, I wonder why a healthy dog, I guess I am assuming it was healthy, would all of a sudden act like that. Wonder if it got into something bad, or??? Guess we will hear from her.

Beautiful cannas Sharon. Love the sport. I had a Wyoming and lost it.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Jnette, I have Wyoming. Maybe in the Spring?

I have not driven over 25 miles does not mean I cannot. I just prefer to fly. BUT, I do want to drive from here through Utah, Idaho, Montana to Spokane. I hear it is very beautiful. And then I would go back a different direction. As soon as DH is well, I am going, with or without him. I will just have to find someone to come with me. I do not want to be on the road alone.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

You sound like a very adventurous person Sharon. If I had a choice, no time constraints, I would prefer to drive any day. I've had enough of flying and find the hassle totally disgusting even tho I understand fully the reasons and, of course, would rather not have an incident. However, just the thought of sitting on the apron for any length of time turns me off. Completely.

But, you are very wise in not striking out alone on a trip.

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Sharon, hope your DH's heart tests better next time around. My Mother wore one of those things once (she'd been feeling a little dizzy). Dr called at 7:30am, said :Your mom needs to go to the hospital. I said... well... okay... and the dr said : No I mean NOW. Her heart only beats 11 times a minute. They are waiting for her in emergency!
(Pacemaker installed a few hrs later...)

Pawleys Island, SC

Hi everyone, I found you. LOL everytime we get moved to a different thread, it feels as though I have been lost. I have actually been working outside this morning and it feels wonderful! My hands are dirty! Yipee!!! I am actually just moving some things around and pulling the weeds out of my pots and emptying the casualties. I still have a lot to do, but the heat has set in and I think i will work inside for a while now. Maybe I can go back out this afternoon.
The best part is I am finding things that I had forgotten I had started. One of my son's friends is looking for work to help buy himself a car, so I am hoping to contribute to his cause this weekend. I have so many things to plant. LOL Maybe it will inspire my son to want to earn some money too. It would be awesome if they could work together and get everything planted in 1 weekend..

I am so sorry to hear about Dawn's dog. that same thing happened to a friend of mine this summer. I will pray for them.

That is a gorgeous sport on the canna. I have found a couple of cannas that I grew from seed last year with no tags. I don't have a clue what they are. I am sorry your DH's tests were not better.

Did someone say "road trip"? I'll go! I love to drive. I will fly if I have to, but I'd much prefer to drive the back roads to get somewhere. It may take longer, but there is so much more to see. Last year, we drove from here to mammoth cave, ky and on the way went ( out of the way) to Hungry Mother ( state park), and then across the mountain to Kingdom Come. ( state park). I tell my son, I can't believe we have been to " kingdom Come" LOL.

Dave, Glad you are back. Take it easy there's lots to be done later.
Talk to you all soon.
Linda

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

howdy again:
yes I am taking it easy. I have to now that the nerves have decided to give me a new thing to deal with. my rt foot is swelling when its down or walked on. oh boy. I have a call into my pain mgmnt dr. he always looks at my feet for swelling. I don't know why but now that its happening I am a bit worried... ok ok I am totally freaked out.

I am so sorry to hear about dawns dog. I know it can be a real test of ones strength when we loose a close family member. I know I had a cat that died in my arms from a tumor that took out the aorta valve. one min she was wiggling the next she was gone with blood coming out her mouth.

The glass thats been discussed is a dark green glass that was from the depression era and up to now. I collect the green as well as the ballerina dancing girl. the dancing girl is a light green color with neat design along the edges. when put under black light it glows. they used to give it away in laundry soap boxes.

well it looks like another day of nothing in the nursery getting done. I swear I am going out tomorrow. I have to get pics for a few people as well as inventory what i have ready to sell or trade. I am thinking i will be shipping in 2 weeks..I am hopeing to get the daylilies ready to ship to those who want them. I will let you know when I need the shipping info and I should know what shipping should run.

Jeanette: I thought you were joking but my filter has been off the last few weeks and I have upset a few people with my interpration of what they ment. it was a mess.

ttyl its time to get my feetsies up and elivated.
Dave

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Linda, you shouldn't have to go searching for us. Dave always puts the new link in his last post.

Evelyn, what was that last post you put in the last thread? What was the picture of? Very strange. Looked like a bug???? I came here expecting to see it from what you said, but it wasn't here.

Dave, why do you think a pain mgmt dr. would know about your foot and swelling?

Well, got to run shower for an appt. in a couple hours. It is still cool here. In fact cool enough that my daughter and I put on a pot of chili!!

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

I also am sorry for the loss of your pet, I know how it makes for sad sad days. Wasn't that long ago we lost our beloved G Shepard. We do have Barney and Fred to ease it a little. Time will heal.
Yes Dave, this is the depression era dark green, not carnival glass but really dark. The lighter green you are right, soap boxes, even animal feed had them. I remember Mom looking through the shelves for boxes that had what she wanted to complete something. Her light green has been gone for several years, but she just wasn't ready to let go of the dark.I also remember her looking over flower and feed sacks for fabric she could use for clothes for us kids. Even remember picking out a few for myself. :)
I have a colbalt blue collection that I constantly am looking to add to.

Don't know what I can say to tie the glass into propagation, but hope I can be forgiven for going away from the subject just for a little while.

My flower beds are overrun with weeds rite now, just can't make myself go out But I will, I promise.

Later all, Lee

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Today was a great day to work outside. We had a high of 74 and a nice breeze throught the day. Still no threat of rain for JB and I.

I have to water everyday. Next day the ground looks so dry.

I have Easter lily bulbs to share ... just let me know if you are interested and I'll send some your way.

Lee .... if you have children they might be interested in some of the green glass ... maybe something to pass down to future generations in rememberance of your mother.

MARY

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Thanks to those who sent prayers for us over our loss. We don't know what happened. It happened so fast. He was only 8.

I won't post much, just lurk probably but wanted to say, JB, I think Sharon said the black bamboo would be fine here, in a container so it did not run a mock.
If you are ridding yourself of some, I would love to try it. Thanks for asking.

leebauch I have some of the dark green bottles, like old medicine bottles if that is the type you are talking about. Got pictures. I like the Cobalt blue old glass too. I have a collection of flow blue dishes from my grandma.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

All is well in Las Vegas. I did some gardening in our wonderfully cooler weather. Still warm but tolerable. I am hitting the front landscape tomorrow and my temporary worker will be here Saturday.

I am also watching the cat next door again because they are going to the USC football game and they will be home for 4 days and then off to Europe on business.

DH is watching NFL Football, drinking water, eating nuts and having a ball.

Getting ready to take cutting of the coleus. Hopefully I have better luck than I had last year. Spent a lot of money, learned a lot but ended up having to order coleus.

Have a great day tomorrow. Love to you all. Sharon.

Pawleys Island, SC

My lantana is taller than I am, if you want cuttings, send me a d-mail. I am working outside again today. so I will catch up later. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
Linda

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

good morning all:

pain management looks at both feet something to do with morphine. have to wait untill monday to see my interneal medicine (general) dr.

Linda I hear you about everything getting away. I am almost afraid to go look at whats going on in the nursery. oh well I must do it so I will let you know how bad it is.

luckily we had rain yesterday and the day before. we got 3.5".. some people south of us got upto 12 inches of rain. can you imagine 12 inches of rain???? Noah who???

here is a pic of a wind chime I made many many moons ago. I have been looking into the water fed saws, so I can do more intricate cuts.

off to see the garden center and cable company.
Dave

Thumbnail by Pughbear7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Wow Linda, unless you are a gnome that is a nice sized plant. I would like cuttings but would just be another thing to winter over which I am running out of room for. Does that make sense? Anyway thanks.

Dave, how are your feet today? How come you have to wait until next week to see the dr.? They must not be too worried to put you off 'till then. You can always go to the ER over the weekend if you have to. Don't forget them.

I hate it when I am having problems and a weekend coming up. 'cause that is what you are stuck with. Not that there is anything wrong with them. But . . . . .

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I have to wait because the dr is off on fridays. they said I could go to the walk in emergency which is 4hour wait to see a dr who might do something or just pat you on the head and say there there it will be all right.
well my foot seems to be ok but I just took off my tennis shoe so we will see how bad I made it.

I just got back from the local garden center. (OUCH!) I could not resist. 5 - 6" mums and a 6" aster $40.00..... but the good news is they are all fully budded and non patented lol..... I got red and lavender/purple mums and a purple with yellow eye aster. big beefy plants. I figuire I need to distract the folks going by from the dieing lawn from the siding folks. oh well it is bermuda and seed is cheap.

so who else is planting for the fall and what are we doing???? inquiring minds want to know...lol
pics to follow
Dave

Pawleys Island, SC

I am seeding a few ornamental kale and cabbage, and also some little nasturtiums. They like the cooler weather better for me than the others. I also have some rainbow swiss chard, and nero di toscana kale. ( big plans) the rest of my energy will have to be put into getting things ready for cooler weather. We still haven't finished converting the aviary to green house yet. DH had kind of a rough summer too. Hopefully we will get it finished before frost. Does anyone know if sweet peas will overwinter in zone 8? I think I would like to try some,. I have never grown them before.
Time for some soup. We are all battling the sore throats that DS came home with this past week. I am hoping it is just the goldenrod, but the idea of soup sounds good.
Jeanette, the lantana that has outgrown me is the Mrs. huff variety. I am 5'2 and it is much taller. I am tempted to let it grow and see how tall it will reach, but it is spreading out too and taking over my entryway. ( definitely time for a trim).
Oh well, the offer remains, anyone who would like cuttings, just let me know.
Have a great night everyone.
Linda
Ps. Dave, stay off that foot.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Oh Linda, if it were only spring I would love to have cuttings but I have so many plants to winter over now I don't dare take on any more. Thanks for the offer.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Linda ~ I think you should have great success with sweet peas, if you plant them once the weather is cool. They usually do not come up until spring, though occasionally some will pop up a bit. Still the real growth is in spring, but you have a very good start if you prepare the ground well before planting them. (They like it "rich"!) Usually if you plant them both in fall and spring, you will get the fall-planted ones come up first as they are slow to germinate in spring. I am send Mary some seeds. Do you need some too?

Sharon ~ That is wonderful news about your DH. It seems like fall is here already, doesn't it? We had two nights with a low of 55° and yesterday it only got up to 70°, while today was warmer with a high of 73°. Perfect weather for working outside. A small window of opportunity! I have been cleaning out my nursery area, as DH is going to be building a potting shed and possible cold frames. After all these years...yippee!! (I have been working on spreading organic compost on the beds, but it is a slow process for me...)

Dave ~ Sorry to hear about your feet swelling. You are right to have them checked...it could be something serious. I hope you are sticking to your pain meds schedule, and I know it is a challenge for you. I wish you all the luck on this one. For some fall and winter color - pansies, violas and maybe some stock, though they cannot take it too cold. The calendulas did well last year until the big freeze and then heavy snow. I need to get some cool-weather plants started pronto. I have the seeds...not necessarily the discipline to get them started right now as I have been feeling punky and not sleeping well. I am lucky to get any work done these days above the usual routines. I am supposed to be sorting my seeds right now, but I have missed you all. I do not want to have to end up buying plants at the nursery when I have seeds waiting to jump into some potting soil and making lovely displays. For near the house, I need to put them in color bowls under the windows and away from the deer. The ones I put in the ground have to be sprayed with repellant. (Sometimes it works, and sometimes it does not...) The new "Cottage Garden" bed inside the fenced yard is still looking a bit sparse, but is beginning to fill in.

Lee ~ You are really going through a lot with the loss of your mom. My prayers are with you.

Dawn ~ So sorry to hear of your precious doggy. Our pets are such treasures. My prayers are with you as well.

Well, I had better get back to the seeds. I don't want to get anything actually started unless I can be sure it will be watered when we are away at the class reunion in October. Not sure if the cold frames will be ready by then or not....I am sure I can set something up that will work as the water in the fenced yard is now on a timer. I just need to set it up.

Have a good weekend everyone....

'California Sister' butterfly....she would not spread her wings for me.....

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Ibartoo I would love a cutting of one so magnificent.

Dave elevate and stay put with some ice if you can do ice.

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Linda, how long does ornamental kale take from seed until it starts to look like anything? I've never known anyone who grew it grom seed (duh, I wonder where I thought it CAME from??)

I'm thinking of getting a new camera, so that I can take close-ups of flowers, bugs, etc. Any suggestions? Do I need to be looking at camera + lens?

Pawleys Island, SC

Evelyn, I would love to have some of your sweet pea seeds. I planted a few nasturtiums yesterday, but I have another area that I would like to grow the sweet peas.

Dawn, I will happily send you cuttings. Please dmail me with your address and let me know how much you would like. In the past I have filled flat rate boxes. Your zone is about like mine, so they should overwinter with no problems.

Avian, I haven't ever planted the ornamental kale from seeds, so this is an experiment. LOL I have had the seeds since last summer, but they have been refrigerated so I am sure they are fine. I will let you know how it works out. New camera! I love cameras. I am looking for 1 too, but I can't quite decide what I want. Whether you need a lens or just a camera depends on the photography you wish to do. I am saving pennies, nickels and dimes right now for a dslr.

Dave, I hope you feel better today.
Have a great day everyone, I will be working in the studio today.
Linda

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi Sweet Friends,

What a day. 9/11 is always a sad day for all of us. I finally gave up watching it again on TV. Too emotional a time for that. I am now watching the US Open. Much easier to watch. I feel so sorry for those survivors who never did have closure because they have no remains to bury.

Busy day on the farm, GH is ready for winter. Plants are all in and all I have to do now is cuttings and planting sprouted cuttings. The GH is almost full. I have so many plants in the house it looks like the garden. It smells good too. The birds are so happy with trees in their room. LOL

Our County had less than 1/2 inch of rain the entire month of August. They are calling for rain tomorrow. I do hope it comes. We are under a drought warning. I keep thinking about the months when Dave and I kept saying we wish it would stop raining. Well, it sure as heck did.

Starting to get ideas for special sale at Christmas.I think we are going to have a sale on Charlie Brown Trees (the not so perfect ones).I have been working on putting together a plan for the ads and promos. It should be fun.They are meeting tonight to go over my ideas and then I will know what I will be doing the next few weeks.

You all sound very busy. I am not getting notice on my home page of any of the forum posts. I am not sure what is going on. I hope it is not my firewall. I am going to turn it off if it is.

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of the dog....not sure who, was it Dawn? I know how it is to have a sick one, but to have one die is just too much. Especially when you were not expecting it. Prayers for its little soul. Hugs for Family.

Dave, you are having some nasty health issues. You come stay with me and I will make you better. I am an old healer. LOL Been called worse.

What is that miserable Jnette doing? I miss her wise remarks. The above should stir the pot a bit and wake her up.

Everytime something happens in the West Coast I cringe because I wonder if you all are o.k. I have no clue where you are. I wish we had a map we could mark to show where we all are. I wonder if the administration would kindly find one for us. Fat chance. Good Idea anyhow. If I were younger I would hop a plane and meet you all in person.

Have a good evening everyone. I am off to feed the dog and have a glass of wine and watch Roger Federer play the last few games. Hugs to all. JB

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I know I watched a lot of 2 specials that were long on 911 but I started to get in that ugly place and just stopped and am waiting to see if my NASCAR driver gets in the chase or not, so that will secure my down mood or make me feel happy.

I so want to bring up that foster dog thing but I am afraid to start a fight again, but I sure hate seeing my dog so depressed.

Ibartoo you have mail. Do you have a picture of your Giant Lantana?

Jeanette got the seeds just now. Thanks, I am so excited.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

OK, you all have been busy little bees. My daughter and family got in Wednesday, so I've kind of been on and off. They took off to go fishing and Bob was visiting his mom in Seattle on a very short visit, he called to say he was almost home so won't have my time to myself very long. Oh well.

JB, oh oh oh I told you I kill gardenias. My poor Aimee is turning yellow more and more every day. I brought her in the house and that was a mistake I guess so then I panicked and took her back outside but she doesn't look good even tho she is about to open that big beautiful bud. Now what????

I had a Charlie Brown Christmas tree the first year we moved over here. I had these really ugly ornaments from Germany, I think, and the faces looked mean, very angry. So they went with the tree well. I put it in the loft overlooking the living room. Very cool. Oh, BTW, I got the ornaments at an estate sale where I bought a suitcase full of them the guy was selling his grandmothers stuff I think it was. I didn't especially pick out ugly ornaments. LOL

Yeah, healer is probably the nicest name. Better hang out your shingle. However I would love your house with all the garden inside. I would do the same thing but I have to think of all these animals and Bob.

I did cut off my huge brug today with my daughter's help. I have 3 or 4 cuttings about 3 feet long in a bubbler. Ordered my 3 sided boxes, thanks Sidney, and will send them off to Dave and Dawn when they get nubbies. Shouldn't be long.

I think Dave gave up on us ladies. As far as discussing propagation. He started a new thread as some of you have seen. LOL, Sorry Dave, but that's ok. Just let us not start talking about everything else on that thread like we have on this one. Think he is impatient with us.

Gosh Dawn those seeds took a long time to get there. Guess I should have sent them priority. Did they look ok? I couldn't tell if they had gotten run over or not. Hope they are ok. Most of them were new this year. The ones from Summerhill I got in January I think it was. A coop.

You guys have a good weekend. And, JB, quit poking me. I am awake!! Just sitting here quietly reading all the mail. Nice to hear you guys. What happened to Sharon? Even Dave has been on here since she has. See you all.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

lol Jeanette, they look great, in fact I got them and started reading the packages I could see, put them on my bed and forgot to see what all is in there since H said we can foster that dog, since Corbin died. I took off to email the rescue and forgot to look at the seeds in their entirety.

They probably think I am a nut case and won't answer me at the rescue.

I am excited about the brug. What color did you say it is?

Three of my Rose of Sharon's Mary sent are leafing out, one looks dead, one looks marginal. I will be happy if one makes it. What color/colors are they Mary?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Dawn, that is wonderful about the rescue dog. Glad he changed his mind without a big hassle. I emailed a party that is fostering a rescue dog for Bob's mom. She really needs a dog for companionship. But, they didn't get back to me and Bob is almost home so guess that is out. Too bad. It looked just like the dog she would love.

The brug is Tropical Sunset. It should do well for you. It is a very pretty yellow and with some heat it would be gorgeous because it gets other shades in it. Right now because it is so cold here, it doesn't get those colors. I have it bubbling and when it gets the nubbies I will send it. The post office said I should get the boxes in 8 to 10 days. Doubt it would be ready to send by that time, we'll see.

I would imagine I will have to send the other one separate anyway. It is trying to open it's buds but due to the cold it is having a tough time at it. I will wait until it finishes blooming and do the same with it.

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi peeps! I have been quite busy. I think we should have a contest.

How about us all predicting the date when either JB or I receive any significant rain. To start it off I will pict Sept 28th.
I will keep track of all your choices.

I do not think Dave started a new propagation thread ... He did bump one up ... and I would like to thank him for doing so. I only went though a small portion of that thread so far. It has planted a few seeds and set my mind a thinking.

Dave ... keep those feet elevated.

Dawn .... what color(s) the Roses of Sharon will be is pot luck. I dug up quite a few Rose of Sharon yesterday. I plan to send some to Sherryberry ... and plant the remainder in pots. My idea is to keep them in pots until they bloom ...then I want to plant 3 different color ones together to grow as one multi-color flowering bush. ..... I have a suggestion regarding warming hubby to wanting the adopted dog .... keep humming "How much is that doggie in the window"

I went to a few yardsales within 1/2 mile of my house looking for a metal tonka truck (large) .... my younger daughter wants one for her pre-k classroom.

I was not successful in locating the truck. I came home with my car full of planters and garden pots.

JB .... I would like your directions on what to do with the Christmas cactus my granddaughter gave me last Christmas. I would love for it to bloom this Christmas. I will try and take a picture of it and post it later.

I love the idea of a Charlie Brown Christmas tree. What is the necessity of having a perfect tree? A Charlie Brown type is way more natural.

Sharon ... your latest news on DH was very good to hear ... hope it continues.

LOVE YA ALL

MARY

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Mary lol. The rescue must think I killed him since they never emailed me or called yet.
Cool I like surprises, so something to look forward to as far as color goes on the ROS.

Jeanette, I love the seeds you sent me. I have such goo luck with petunias and all that I am excited and love wave petunias. Really excited.
What seeds can I sow now, if the temps are still in the 90's here in the day. Nights are sometimes in the 50's though. I want to sow something that will come up in late winter or needs cold to germinate? Need to look at my old seeds to see.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Yeah, I cannot tell you what to plant Dawn. Only you know your weather. Glad you like the seeds and hope you get many flowers. Wish I could plant this time of year. I think if your nights are in the 50s you are good. Will they stay that way for a long time? LOL, if so, I will send you all of my green tomatoes that won't ripen.

Hope the rescue people call you soon.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Yes me too. I just emailed them again. I thought they may have concerns about what made Corbin die, so I told them the story and that Chloe is fine but that I understand if they are aprehensive about what may have happened to Corbin in a week.

It is so hard to say here, what the night temps could be if we have a low come through but in honest, our day time temps can be up in the 90-100's till Halloween but the nights can go as low as in the 40's, high 30's possibly but unlikely.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Wonder if you should plant seeds inside and then harden them off prior to planting like we do in the spring? Just a thought.

Why did you feel it necessary to tell them about your dog that died? Was that a reason you gave for not being able to get the dog from the Rescue?

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Yes. Greg did not want 3 dogs and that was what I told her, he was afraid I just wanted a third dog or we would end up with a third dog. We missed our Koala the old Pei that died the month before but it was a pain to have 3 dogs and expensive, more poo etc. I kind of had to tell her why we suddenly could do it now. I told her that he was adamant about not doing it with already having 2 dogs and the lady said 3 is a pain.

I would put the ones that need to stratify out now.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I am here, just busy gardening. I am working on he roses. The tree from the street scape seems to have its roots under the sidewalk and into my rose bed. There is a root barrier but I think it has gone around it. I will know more Monday.

I got several of the new tall pots by the driveway planted but still have many more plants to find and plant. The nurseries will receive their new plants in about two weeks. I winter sow but I just toss the seed. It comes up in the spring and then I thin out.

I ordered some cannas and did a search for the new Tropicana Red. I found the Tropicana Gold but the Red is sold our everywhere. They are both sports off the original Tropicana.

My worker did not come today because his boss has a job for him. That is OK because I have at least 6 more weekend of great weather. I have to do a major overhaul of the main cannas bed. Way to many cannas. And Irises are being over run along with the day lilies. We are now on a water schedules of three days a week. But it is getting cooler and my last water bill was $370 so I ready for cooler weather and smaller bills.

Jnette, I am sure you are enjoying your daughter's visit.

JB, Charlie Brown Christmas trees is all most people will be able to afford this year. I stopped putting up a tree about 4 years ago. No presents, no tree. I give out checks and gave children and grandchildren a choice. They opted for the money. Took a lot of hassle out of my life. I still decorate and you will have to look hard to notice there is not a tree. I gave more than half away to the two girls and there is still to much.

DH is looking much better. His pluracy (sp) is gone. Took Alleve for three days and that was that. He was wondering yesterday which medical god his ticked off. I told him I did not know but he had better make him happy again.

Dave bumped the old thread and then posted he was opening a new thread. I think he was delirious from that awful trip.

I have about 2 weeks of work to do in about 4 days but I always have more on my plate than I can do. That has been my life, MY WAY. I also have plants that need to get into the greenhouse. Cutting that have rooted are going to spend the winter in the greenhouse. I have coleus cuttings that are going to spend the winter in my mother's old bedroom. It has French doors and two large windows so gets lots of sun.

Merry, I think if I came home with another garden pot my DH would cry.

Hope everyone has a great evening and a good Sunday Morning. Love you all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.