Thought for the Day - #8

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

It's time to start a new thread, our dial up friends are having a hard time loading the thread.
Our friend Desert Pirate is no longer a member of DG. In the spirit that he started this thread, I would like to continue it.

This is where we came from: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1097945/

Share your quotes, prose, thoughts, and comments. All are welcome. : - )

To get the ball rolling today, I thought I'd share this poem, which I'd like to dedicate to our missing friends.
: - )

"Two sturdy oaks I mean, which side by side,
Withstand the winter's storm,
And spite of wind and tide,
Grow up the meadow's pride,
For both are strong

Above they barely touch, but undermined
Down to their deepest source,
Admiring you shall find
Their roots are intertwined
Insep'rably."
~Henry David Thoreau~

Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new, Jules. BTW, the MRI shows a little pressure on a nerve and some deformation of one of the cervical vertebra but not much more that I can see. My neurologist will find more, as she's more adept at reading these things than I am.

"We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over; so in a series of kindnesses there is at last one which makes the heart run over."
Samuel Johnson

"The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend."
Abraham Lincoln

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

One from me,

It's hard to figure out some people---the ones who want the front of the bus, the back of the church and the middle of the road.

oops, edited typo!

This message was edited Aug 31, 2010 10:30 AM

(Zone 7a)

LOL

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Is the typo the reason you laughed kwanjin?!?!?!!

(Zone 7a)

Yes, but I also laughed because I KNOW people that are just as you described!!!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Don't we all?!!?!?

(Zone 7a)

Life would be no fun without folks like that. My mom was one. NEVER happy with where she was, bless her heart.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Yep, the world would be pretty boring without them. They entertain us!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Variety is the spice of life.
unknown~

WIB,
SW

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hello Jules kwanjin and weegy12. I'm glad to have found your thread Jules.

Here is another thought for the day;

"A doctor can bury his mistakes, but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines."

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Hello Lily! That's a good one! I'm glad you found this thread too! The more the merrier.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Yea! Lilly_Love found us! Welcome, sweetie! : - )
I had to LOL reading your thought. Vines are great for covering up mistakes and chain link fences too! LOL!
Although, it's not really my Thread, but I'm keeping it going in the spirit of good fun, humor, serious thought, bad puns, limericks, and sometimes just plain silliness. : - )
We're easily amused and tolerant. : - )

"Live your life and forget your age."
~Norman Vincent Peale~

WIB~
SW

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower. ~Hans Christian Anderson

See, I found one. From now on you will get one everyday from, like it or not.

Please check out the Oleander forum. We are searching for the new double flowering oleanders. There is also a variegated leave one and very many different colors. It is the group from Arizona. Many you know. See you there.

(Zone 7a)

"If you have a mind at peace, a heart that cannot harden, go find a door that opens wide upon a lovely garden."
Unknown

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

kw, I like that very much. Thank you everyone for your welcome.

Here is one: "In youth we learn, in old age we understand." ~Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach~

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

I've got a couple to share!

Four things you can't recover: The stone...after the throw. The word...after it's said. The occasion...after it's missed. The time...after it's gone.

and

Use all the talents you possess. For the woods would be silent if the only birds that sang were the best.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Especially like the first one booker. So very true.
Here's mine for today.

Anyone living in a glass house just might as well answer the doorbell.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

This is not really true. My friends stick around.

"Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate." ~ Thomas Jones

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

SW asked me to list the first 5 again of "You Know You Are Addicted to Gardening When":

1. Your neighbors recognize you in your pajamas, rubber clogs and a cup of coffee.
2. You grab other people's banana peels, coffee grinds, apple cores, etc. for your compost pile.
3. You have to wash your hair to get your fingernails clean.
4. All your neighbors come and ask you questions.
5. You know the temperature of your compost every day.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

And since I had already posted that one the other day, her is today's next 5:

6. You buy a bigger truck so that you can haul more mulch.
7. You enjoy crushing Japanese beetles because you like the sound that it makes.
8. Your boss makes "taking care of the office plants" an official part of your job description.
9. Everything you touch turns to "fertilizer".
10. Your non-gardening spouse becomes conversant in botanical names.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

lol, how true is that! LOL

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, I love #3. You have to wash your hair to get your fingernails clean.

Here's another:
You know you're a gardener when you have a nail brush at every sink and in the shower.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

School days are the happiest days of your life---provided your kids are old enough to go!

(I don't necessarily agree with this now, but it's cute!)

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Sign on a garden gate...

'Please come in, if no one is here, please weed.'

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

I love that last one, particularly, weegy.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

;-)

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

https://files.me.com/quiltygirl/yl0j85

OK guys, see if you can open this for the whole list of addicted to gardening. New technology for me, hope it works.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I opened it! It worked, good job Lynda!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I love the gate sign about weeding. But I do not get weeds. Maybe because I use a ton of mulch. Or maybe I think everything green is a plant not a weed. Should be the last week of temperatures above 100.

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it.
-- Russel Baker

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Excellent one Sharon. Although I believe I do not like to suffer with summer heat.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

I am in a "Sweet Pea Mood".....

"Peas along the border, Peas upon the lawn,
Peas against an eastern wall to welcome in the dawn.
Peas among the Roses, Peas behind the Pinks;
Peas to catch the western glow when evening sunlight sinks.
Peas upheld with Chestnut, Peas help up with Ash;
Peas asprrawl on Hazel spray,Peas on Larchen brash.
Peas on stiff unyielding wire, Peas tied up with string;
Peas upon the trelliswork where Rambler Roses swing.
Oh! Merry, merry, merry, are the gay Sweet Peas;
Plant them when and how you will, it's certain they will please"

~ author unknown, copied from "The Book of Annuals" by Alfred C. Hottes

"Here are Sweet Peas on tiptoe for a flight,
With wings of gentle flush or delicate white,
And taper tigers catching at all things,
To bind them all about with tiny wings."

~ Keats

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Evelyn, I loved that. My mother, every spring, had Sweet Peas every where. I can see them at this moment blowing in the breeze. She would pick a large amount and put them in a low vase and put therm on the kitchen table. We always came in the back door and they were the first thing you would see. Thanks for the memories.

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car. Unknown.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Quoting:
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
. Well stated, but one may miss a sermon for the day. May I add. lol.

"It's easy to make a buck. It's a lot tougher to make a difference." ~Tom Brokaw~

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

You all crack me up! Thanks! : - )

BookerC, the post on Sept. 1, the second one, just had me nailed. All my life, I've not pushed myself to be better because so many others were more talented, and I don't like the feeling of competing with others. Just myself.
Then my life changed and I made singing, a regular part of my day. As my ES so succinctly put it once,
"Mom, I don't much care for your music, or your singing, but I respect the fact that you don't let my opinion stop you from doing it."
(I might be paraphrasing there, but that was the gist of it.) : - )

You all had so many good ones, to share. Today my plate is bare. I've been down sick, and over the weekend we had company. The weather was perfect today, not too hot, not too cold, and not too much work. : - )
Thanks QG for all the quotes, they were so good (the first 5) that I didn't want anyone to miss them. Thank you for posting them again. The second set of 5, is just as good, but I got to say, I usually recycle old toothbrushes for nail brushes. They work well, but not as good as shampooing your hair, or doing the dishes to get under your nails clean. LOL!
Lately, I've been keeping my nails short, so it's not as much a problem. : - )
Evelyn, those were beautiful poems. Well done! I was enchanted. : - )
weegy, I'm gonna make me one of them signs, and post it by the bell. LOL! : - )
It is great when the kids go back to school or even better graduate from school! They don't bring home as many germs. LOL!
Lily_love, your post on Sept. 1, made me glad I'm getting old. But at the same time I'm still young, because I'm still learning. I just know when to keep quiet and listen, which might be the seeds of wisdom. Either way, I enjoyed your thoughts very much! : - )
Keep up the great quotes, poems, etc.
Sharon, good ones,like the one you posted Aug. 31. I also loved your summer quote. It is so true, and it's hard for me to believe that it's already September, and so very soon it will be Pumpkin Patch time. I'm not ready. Which I think may bring me full circle back to BookerC's post on the first. Time goes so fast and there is no getting back the lost days, occasions, opportunities.
kwanjin, your post on Sept. 1st, touched my heart. Thank you! : - )
Be good to those you love today, and every day, we live in such an uncertain world.
Keep up the good work all.
Walk In Beauty, my Friends!
SingingWolf

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Sorry you have been under the weather SW. We are going to cool down on Wednesday. Have a lot of gardening to do. I do not know why I liked this, but I did.

There are many people I would take a bullet for.......and others I would gladly duck!! Unknown.

Have a great day tomorrow. I have a full day but the rest of the week is clear. Later friends.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Cool here today and drizzle this morning. Here's my contribution for today:

Some people don't get interested in anything until they find it's none of their business.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Some great thought for the day everyone. Here is one.

"Never underestimate your power to change yourself; never overestimate your power to change others."
~H. Jackson Brown, Jr.~

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL Weegy, good one! And all too true!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Lily, I need to learn that. Had rain yesterday. First time in 136 days. Nothing today, just wanted to say hi.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.