Zones 8-9 Fall/Wntr 2010 IS UNDERWAY - Part III

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

WE CAME FROM HERE:
Part I http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1110561/
Part II http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1123372/

Zone 8-9 veggie gardeners are starting to plant/sow! Join us on the adventure, and, since we're learning from and with each other, we appreciate details, and we especially like your PICTURES! So, share your lists, check 'em twice, and post some pics that are really nice!

DD95172's PVC SEED STARTER TRAY
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1067922/

Calalily's Method for GERMINATING COLE CROP SEEDS IN THE FRIDGE
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8116028

Gardadore's Recipe for deterring WHITE CABBAGE MOTHS
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8104087

Qinx's Raised Bed - INTERLOCKING DESIGN/w Pre-Installed Hoop Pins
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1117901/

GARDENER'S SUPPLY KITCHEN GARDEN PLANNER - DESIGN TEMPLATE
http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners...

WINTER SOWING DISCUSSION LINKS FROM THE BEGINNING http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1072154/

Kelly's ZONE 9A WATERING SCHEDULE
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7919560

Jim41's ZONE 8A PVC DRIP IRRIGATION WATERING SYSTEM
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7920004

Godspeed & Good Harvest! ^^_^^

Linda

This message was edited Oct 8, 2010 11:30 AM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Linda thanks for the new thread, question, do I have to harden the brassicas before planting? The weather is still warm. Will you be planting yours this upcoming weekend as well?

Have you guys tried the mushroom compost in the bags before? Is it better than the black cow manure? My compost is almost ready but not quite, I have been really bad this summer about turning it so is taking a little longer.

C,
I don't think it would hurt to begin hardening the brassicas, especially since the weather is still kind'a warm. They'd appreciate some shade in all this heat. I've never been able to grow my brassicas in the recommended full-on sunshine, even in the winter (only because I couldn't), and they've done fine for me. My concrete launching pad only gets bright filtered light most of the morning, then less toward the evening. They probably would've exploded with growth if I'd had them in full-on sunshine in the cool/cold!

I've found if it's too hot out, and they're in full sunshine, they "swoon" or "faint," from the heat. However, they can be out in full-on sunshine if it's cool/cold outside, without any problem at all!

So, you're hardening them off now will buy you a little time for the temps to keep on dropping and getting cooler out. They'll surely take off once they're set in the sunshine, and the temps aren't so hot.

Hope this helps.

Linda

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Linda I forgot to mention I just recently purchased some summer weight fabric from gardeners supply company and i am hoping to use it for all my brassicas as soon as it arrives, for what I have read not only it provides protection from pests but it also can protect from the scorching heat. It is still hot but not quite as much anymore so hopefully it will cool enough in September time frame.

Yeah, I hear that fabric helps with keeping the cabbage worm moths out, so they aren't able to lay eggs for those worms.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

C - I direct seed brassicas beginning in early September. If you are setting out plants, you will need to harden them off. I would caution you though - if it's too hot they will bolt in a NY minute - lol... The earliest I would start settingout transplants here would be the first couple weeks of October. Any sooner for me and the nights are still too warm and they will bolt. You are a little cooler than me so your mid-September date might OK for you...

Hey, Kelly,
When you direct seed your raised beds with brassicas (cabbages, cauliflowers and broccoli) what is your average harvest timeframe from sowing?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

3-3.5 months I would guess without looking back at records... Remember things grow slower in the colder months.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

o.k guys I posted this in another thread but I thought I would ask here as well, please help if you can.

I can't even go and harvest my Chinese red noodle beans it is full of wasps, ants and aphids, the ants and aphids I can deal with but boy I am getting the big wasps as well and they are acting very territorial with these beans. For what I read they are attracted by the smell of the flowers but I had no idea that it would get this bad. Any suggestions on what I should do? I also have little kids and really don't want them to get stung by a mean wasp.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Wow Kelly I had no idea you direct seeded your brassicas, does the direct seed method give you better results than doing transplants?

Thanks, Kelly!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Oooooohhhhhhh, Carmen - I don't know about those wasps!! I would be scared of them so no help here;o(

As far as direct seeding, I just find that in the summer/fall I don't have as much time to mess with starting seeds inside - lol. My brassicas do fine direct seeded;o) I will sometimes start some inside or buy a few transplants from the Farmer's Market, but mostly direct seed everything except my tomatoes and peppers...

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Kelly yes the wasps kind of have me scared of going close to those beans. I have learned though that if I pick the beans early in the morning that there are not as many lurking around so I just pick them early in the morning, still I don't really think I want to grow this type of bean again, they seem to attract lots of wasps, mites and ants. I did see a few ladybugs as well feasting on the mites so that's good.

The only thing with me is that it does rain here quite a bit and sometimes when I start seeds outside especially the small types they tend to get rained out and don't germinate for me.

By the way have you tried the shade cloth to plant lettuces during the hot summer months, does it work?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

No luck with lettuce in the summer. It bolts for me. I believe the air temp being so hot is what causes them to bolt.

Check out these links from a reply from Horseshoe....

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8074479
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8074487

Here's the whole thread: how much sun for greens?
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1126146/

This message was edited Sep 1, 2010 11:56 AM

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Linda thank you so much for sharing! His boxes are just gorgeous it looks ornamental and beautiful to me. I still have to get used to my boxes and have a hard time utilizing every square inch but I am learning I guess.

C,
Looks like I'll be sprinkling seeds in that long RB I made after all, since I'll be staying there until mid-October. Then, I'll pick up stakes and head to my house to plant in the eBuckets and EBs. I might even manage to steal a few transplants from myself --- hey -- now THAT'S A THOUGHT I NEVER HAD!!!! Voila!

Guess I'll have to babysit that RB on the weekends! I just pray they'll water adequately. But, the seedlings should be up in the 6-8 weeks I'll be there, so I'll get 'em up and out, and they'll have to keep 'em alive to harvest!

Shoe's beds sure are exciting, huh?

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Linda in your new house ( I would imagine is the one that you used to rent) do you have somewhere to place a raise bed? I am sure your family will appreciate the gift of the raise bed you are giving them.

I gave some fresh produce yesterday to my neighbors some fresh eggs, peppers, basil and long beans, they still can't believe that it is possible to grow here in Mobile, they tried about 2 years ago they told me but they just got tired of having to deal with all the bugs and such so they stopped. I told them that not all my stuff has done well this year, didn't get a single squash and the matters were horrible looking because of the bugs but still this is my first year gardening here so I am hoping to get better soil and more good bugs as the years go by.

C,
I just took yet another bid for a Hurricane Ike fence replacement.

Once the fence is in place (hopefully in the next two weeks), and I move back into the house (in 6-8 weeks), I'll start doing some layouts. Look at this pic I found of what can be done in a small yard!

This is somewhere right here in Houston!

It has veggie beds, herbs, and a CHICKEN COOP!

This message was edited Sep 1, 2010 4:00 PM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

This is a very good video, just wanted to share, perfect picture veggies, not a bug in site, good to watch when you are feeling low. http://www.youtube.com/user/markhess#p/f/5/P3x1lMzf0fw

There was an actual CHILL in the air this morning!! It had to be 75 degrees out. FREEZING!!

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Actually we've had a couple of really nice days out this weekend, today is a little warmer but still nice, I am waiting on the weather though because I want to make sure that the heat is not going to return with a vengeance.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Well I took 4 days off to work int he yard and it was hotter than the gates of you know where - lol... Did get my compost sifted and the beds topped off, pulled some weeds and fertilized everything. Need to build a couple new beds for some Daylilies and Irises soon. Will probably start sowing some things this coming weekend. The nights are cooling off a bit - into the 80s - so fall is in the air. Still 100°+ in the daytime though;o(

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

O.K guys just please hit me with a brick in the head!

Well thanks to Kelly post I realized that I can actually sift my homemade compost, my compost is almost done I just had some leaves and small branches that had not decomposed yet but everything else was done and smelling good. I thought I had to pay a lot of $ to top my raise beds with good compost and now I have all this wonderful home compost teaming with lovely worms, silly me. Anyways just a quick question the homemade compost do I just put it on top of the original soil in my raise bed or do I have to mix it in? the reason I am asking is because my original soil is pitiful just some horrible top soil and old cow manure.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I mix it in a bit and put some in the hole if I'm putting in transplants. I like to use the big pieces for mulch - works great. We have a great organic farm in Scottsdale where you can buy compost by the bag or truckload - great stuff. I paid $60 for two huge front end loader scoops full. I have a very large pile that will last a while. No way I can make enough for what I need - lol. Need to supplement.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Hey guys is it still hot in your area? I just went outside a little bit to sift some of my homemade compost and I had to walk inside after 20 mins, it is in the 90's here. By seedlings are still under the lights and waiting, but if this heat does not stop soon I will be transplanting them in November time frame, LOL.

Kelly did you get your seeds in?

Linda how is it going with your new house and seedlings?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

We will be in the triple digits all week. The nights are becoming pleasant though - in the upper 70s! That is putting my planting back a bit. I'm not home in the daytime to keep the seeds from drying out until they germinate. Crossing my fingers we cool off soon.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Well yesterday I planted some carrot seeds and turnip seeds, never grown either of them so we will see if they do well for me. I was able to sift a couple of good inches of good homemade compost on top of the existing soil but forgot to add lime or kelp meal, according to a book I have adding them makes for sweeter carrots, I am wondering if I can add them on top and not mix it in since the seeds are already planted.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

You probably could add a little C and water it in slowly?

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Carrot seeds usually do better if they aren't covered (surface sown) and kept damp. Maybe you could side dress the area or wait until the seeds sprout, which with carrot seeds could be awhile.

Hey guys!

Sorry, I've been outta pocket, still trying to get moved completely. Probably have one more load to move, then I'm in my temporary digs trying to decide what/if to plant in that raised bed.

I'll be back in my own home by October 23rd, and back to container gardening, if I decide to tackle a few eBuckets and EBs. I've NEVER grown anything in my own backyard, and I don't really know the sun patterns or anything. Good thing I'll be able to move the eBuckets around, if I decide to go ahead. I might try some Rubbermaid tubs, too. I have limited space back there, and two trees that suck up all the sunshine. Haven't decided on cutting down at least ONE tree for more sun.

Hugs!

League City, TX(Zone 9a)

What up, peeps? I have been out on the sidelines bemoaning my less-than-stellar summer crops, but I am ready to jump back into the fray. I failed miserably due to watering issues so I am in the process of building 2 raised beds which will be located closer to the house and faucet.

I rented a tiller this past Saturday and I tilled one 2' x 12' section and one 3' x 12' section. They run East-to-West and get *loads* of sun, mainly because the power company butchered our neighbore's big beautiful tree, but that's another story. I will try and build the beds little by little as the week goes on, and hopefully I can plant (sow, mostly) by Saturday.

I will plant pole beans (purple variety w/ Italian name, can't recall), Roma and Cherry tomato transplants, broccoli, carrots, onions, garlic, and bok choy possibly in these beds. Still ploting and scheming...

Glad to see everyone plugging along nicley.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi Linda - getting excited to move?

Hi John - glad you're still at it! If this triple digit heat ever goes away I will be sowing... I had several 'maters limp thru the summer and are setting blossoms again! Peppers and eggplant are still chugging along, as are the herbs, mostly Basil is rocking! I will be ready to harvest my sweet taters about the first week of October!

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Linda will be in her own house where she can do whatever SHE wants. Yeah!

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Linda welcome back, glad you are getting onto your own house, you know Linda there are tons of veggies that do not need full sun to grow so even if you place a raise bed in the shade I am sure you'll find tons of things to plant there as well. What about your front yard, is it shady as well?

Kelly my basil plants are out of control and huge, I have to go and clip it and keep preserving it, but too much is just too much, LOL! By the way besides pesto what else can you make with basil once it is frozen?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I dunno C - I only make Pesto with it! You could probably add it to pasta sauce?

Pearland, TX

My best laid plans are on hold a bit. My son Anthony (3 yrs old) had a tonsillectomy and is having a tough time recovering, meaning I haven't been outside since Tuesday, except while he's sleeping and then mostly to water the potted plants. Got another week or so of this before we're out of the woods and back to our normal routines. Thankfully, we've been getting some good rain, so it has been okay. New plan is to get things in the ground weekend after next.

Lots of ice cream! I had my tonsils out when I was 13. Trust me. You wanna do it when you're 3.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hope Anthony feels better soon - poor guy! But like Linda says - lots and lots of ice cream!

Pearland, TX

LOL, he has actually gotten to the point of instead of begging for ice cream, he is begging for chicken nuggets and fries. I guess you CAN have too much of a good thing. The doc did clear him today for soft sandwiches (cheese, tuna with mayo, and pb&j), so to his delight, he is getting a pb&j for dinner.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.