Any other kilobulb planters out there?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

bleek... what kind of crocus? mix of colors/varieties, or mix of species also?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

and while I've maybe got Bleek's attention... what kind of fertilizer should I be broadcasting over my established bulb beds this fall? Bone meal or the equivalent (the bulb food in the bag with the big red tulip)? Or "triple phosphate?" Or something else?

Thanks!

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7a)

It are the large flowering crocus and not the specie crocus. They are all mixed.

Beds, that have bulbs in there from previous years, I would only fertilize in the Spring and some right after flowering.

Only newly planted beds need to have some fertilizer when planting.

The white bag with the big red tulip is fine. I use some 10-10-10 while I am doing the lawn.

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I was just reading a post on the Daylilies For Northern Climates e-mail group where the poster an hour south of Toronto Canada still has bulbs to plant. Must be really running out of time up there to get them done and planted.

I have decided to be good and not get any more this year as the motivation to get more has passed. Or at least I managed to resist the tempation.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Bleek! I did broadcast 10-10-10 all over a couple times last spring, so I'm good.

The large-flowering crocus that I've planted here (and we're talking a couple thousand altogether) have pretty much all been eaten up by some kind of varmint. So I'm just concentrating on species crocus now.

But for anybody else -- crocus are soo easy to plant, because they can be barely covered and do fine, and that's a really awesome price.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

We finally planted all our bulbs on Tues - Thurs. The final total was
4129. I think we will have a goof spring show. Patti

Patti, I would say you will have a fantastic spring show. We will be looing forward to pictures come spring.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Boy, howdy! That is a LOT of bulbs, any way you count them! Spring is going to spring forth in a big way at your house next year.

I hope the squirrells left me some crocus. I planted 500 of the large flowered mix in between my roses in my southside rose garden. Now I see that there are plenty of holes where the squirrels must have dug up the bulbs. Hopefully not all of them. Now there are fall leaves as mulch spread over them so that the squirrels hopefully will no longer notice that they are there.

My garden is totally put to bed for the winter and I am done and waiting for spring. The fall mulching with leaves was the last chore of the year and that is totally finished. Come spring, all the garden work starts again but you all know that I just love my garden.

Brigham City, UT(Zone 5b)

I thought I planted all my bulbs and found another box of over 250. It was cold, blowing and snowy here yesterday. Today is a little warmer. The snow is melted and I got the last of the bulbs in. I lost the tags of my first plantings which were over 500 bulbs. The ones that I have counted are 612 daff's - 23 varieties. 108 tulips - less than I would like due to the deer problem. Hyacinth 108; Crocus 255; camassia 38; Amaranthus 3; Mountain Lilies; Persian Blue Alium; Azure Alium and many more.
I am so excited for spring.
Large snow flakes are beginning to fall, we expect a few inches in the next 2 days to up to 15". I believe we will have a white Christmas and a very colorful spring. The 21st is near and the days will be getting longer. That is what I wait for.

Merry Christmas to all, and a joyous new year.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

MyRee, you are a trooper. And come spring, your day of planting as the snow flew will be seem even more worthwhile. Congrats. Patti

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

echoing those thoughts -- 3 cheers!

for anybody on this side of the country, I think tomorrow is supposed to be (relatively) warm, so get those leftover bulbs in before the snow flies!

Well, we didn't get the 10" of snow here, but some places got hammered. It only got up to 27 degrees today, CCOOOOOOOOOOLD.
Waiting or spring.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I didn't quite make my goal of all bulbs in the ground by December 2, but ALMOST all were planted by that date. There were a couple dozen double peony flowering tulips hiding in the garage, which I'd overlooked, so today, January 9, I FINALLY planted the last of the bulbs. The snow from New Year's eve finally melted and today it was 55 degrees - the ground was wet, but pliable, so I put them in a bed I reserve for annuals. Now I can finally say I'm ready for winter.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

Better late than never and now at least it is all done.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

You guys are AMAZING! Congratulations to everyone. I've been admiring LeawoodGardeaner's urns for years, as back in Boston we used to have some tulips in pots. Keep up the good work!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Can't wait to see all the pictures in the spring. I didn't plant very many this year.

There are going to be lots of pictures at my house!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Is the show starting for anybody yet? Another mid-atlantic DGer just posted crocus & phlox blooms... and I've got a whole clump of 'Rjinveld's Early Sensation' with fat buds. Bet we'll need a photo thread soon!

I stuck to my "I've blown my budget enough already" guns and actually didn't buy a single bulb this year... planted a few, but only those that were accidentally divided from a clump while planting something else. However, from the tips that are up already, it looks like the other bulbs are making up for my slack by multiplying well. *happy dance*

Well, you must have enough bulbs in your garden already! But then one can never have enough bulbs!

Wow, flowers already for some people. Not here though ha-ha. Too early.

This message was edited Jan 11, 2013 11:28 PM

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I did not plant anywhere near the amount of bulbs that I had planted in the past, only a few hundred tulips, some muscari, and a few Narcissus Billy Graham Except for the muscari and Dutch irises, the other bulbs aren't doing much yet here, including the bulbs that have been in for years.

LG, I also planted bulbs in January last year, and they still bloomed, and did fine. I'm glad you had a chance to get the rest of your bulbs planted.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Today we have our first signs of spring in Nantucket. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Hurray for signs of spring!

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

It's way too early for bulbs in my garden, but on Saturday I did notice a couple daffodils peeking out of the ground. A non-gardener neighbor asked me what to do about bulbs that come up too early and I said, "Do what I do - place your foot on them and push them back into the ground - LOL"

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Whew....it's barely winter here in Texas. (Still trying to adjust.)

I have over a foot of snow and Ice crystals are coming down now. Spring looks a ways away. It is so cold at 13 degrees and the nights are getting down to 0 degrees F. I am so ready for spring.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I yell at them, "Go back, go back! It's too early! You'll freeze!" But actually, it never seems to do them any harm, especially if it's just foliage.

Yes, I am amazed sometimes at how early the daff folliage starts to come up. But the bulbs seem to know best, no damage.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

If it's been mild (and it has for here), the daffodils are earliest to pop out. However, I have had those daff buds freeze up afterwards. They are the remnants of the former owner. Among the first to flower are the iris reticulata.

I planted iris reticulata for the first time last fall so I am looking forward to seeing them flower this spring. And I wasn't sure when they bloom. I was thinking maybe along with the crocus? Daff folliage usually is the first thing to pop out in the spring around here also.

Gezz, I am having some daffodils comming up already. Too early!!!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Reticulated Iris comes up here (across the sound from you) at varying times, and last year it was early March, somewhere around the 8th or 10th. I generally figure they come up around the same time as Muscari and other purple/blue blooms. I know that in other years they have been up in late February. This year I added many more in late September/early October, along with Alliums, Alliums and more Alliums of varying sizes and colors. I expect they will bloom from April through July, depending on the variety and size.

Thumbnail by cathy166

Very pretty Cathy. I sure am looking forward to the spring bulb show.

ACK!!! I just found some buds on some of my Rjenveld's Early Sensation daffs. So early! Of course those buds are no where near ready to bloom yet and now it has gotten so cold.

It is really cold here and it has been on a 6 day run of cold weather. Not much going on outside around here. I shouldn't compain as fall and winter up to this was quite mild. But of course I am compaining ha-ha as I don't like cold weather at all. I haven't gone out and looked at the daffs since I found those buds on the 23rd. I bet they look the same.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Have our first bulbs aside from Galanthus, blooming today, though they must have opened when we had snow a couple of days ago as some of them are fully opened. Here is Iris reticulata Gordon. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Patti, I have Gordon blooming here is GA as well, I love its vibrant colors. Narcissus Ice King has also been blooming the past 2-3 weeks, along with Crocus Yellow Mammoth.

I was out of town at a conference since last Saturday, and when I got home this afternoon I had to take a tour around the garden. I found Narcissus Cum Laude and Tete-a-Tete blooming, along with Crocus t. Lilac Beauty, my Hyacinth mix and Hyacinth City of Harlem. I'll have to take some pictures this weekend.

I'm going to have to check my notes, I feel like this year things are blooming earlier in GA.

I haven't looked lately since the snow is starting to receed to see if anything new is growing out there.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Buds are up on Joyanna's crocus lawn! (That was her gift from her DG family, a "crocus shower" involving several kilobulbs!)

We need a new thread or two for spring blooms... if you got 'em, post 'em!

:-)

Nothing here yet but the very, very early daffs should start not too much in the future.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.