Any other kilobulb planters out there?

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Oh my. How beautiful can you get. That is fantastic! And here I thought I was doing so well with all my daffodils here!

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

Cem:

It's their first year open to the public. Apparently the owner has been working on the project for ...well over 25 years. Talk about patience!

http://gibbsgardens.com/history.php

I can't imagine doing 7,000 bulbs in one year. But I am planning a massive planting for this fall. I am planning my bulbs and what I will get and were I will put it. That will still take afew weeks as I think about it and refine my plans during spring bulb bloom season. But it really, really hit me this spring how I have only very, very few crocus left here after all my garden redos and terrace building. So I have been looking at Scheepers and have at least made my crocus decisions. I am definately ordering what I picked out and that is 1,600 crocus. If anyone wants to see the varies I have chosen just go look at my cocus thread, I posted it there.

Then I also plan on getting-
Chionodoxa
Iris reticulata
Dutch Iris
Tulips and daffodils.

So you can see that I am going to be up there. Last fall only planted 285 bulbs. So time to do a big planting again this fall. I am going to be heavy on adding tulips as I am picking spots in the garden and thinking on what would look best there. Plus I need even more daffs in spite of all the ones I have already done. I was so pleased with the Scheepers Long Trumpet mix of daffs I did two years ago (200) that I have already decided on four more of the Scheepers mixes as I know where they will go. So I am thinking 100 each of four mixes, All White Mix, Fragrant Mix, Gold Medal Mix and Rinus Rim Mix to make 400 dafodils. And I know I will not end there.

So deffinately going to be planting lots this fall.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Your plan sounds exciting, Rita! I love to plan bulbs, plant them in the fall and enjoy the results the following year!

And you do a great job, especially on your tulips. A big difference between you and I is that I never dig my tulips and replant. They die out and then I buy new ones after a while. But last years blooms are coiming up great this spring.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Rita, Love the plan. I am off to see your Crocus plan. I need more too, but will wait for the late Nov sales to add them. I am making notes of where we need more too. I always need more. My favorite new one this year is Crocus chrysanthus Advance which I got last year from B&B. I want an army of them next year.

Quoting:
50 13-0107 Crocus-Spring - chrysanthus 'Advance' $18.50 sale 9.25 chrysanthus 'Advance' - fiery orange stamens decorate the peachy yellow interior with a bluish violet and white exterior.

Thumbnail by bbrookrd Thumbnail by bbrookrd

That is a really beautiful crocus and my favorite of all the crocus pictured at Brent and Beckie although I do also really like GOLDEN BUNCH. I really do love Brent and Beckies but they are more expensive than Scheepers. And as I am going to order so very many bulbs I can go with actually ordering them from Van Engelen, same as Scheepers only cheaper in price if you are wanting quantity. As as it might be possible that I decide to order those two also from B&B but I doubt it as my bulb order is going to already be pricey just the way it is.

Your picture of Advance makes it look even prettier than it is pictured at the Brent and Beckies site.

I forgot to say that the tommies (crocus) are going into sections of the lawn, each batch of 100 in a different spot all in a mass of each type. Others are all going in gardenbeds.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I haven't planted any crocus in the grass or "lawn" which certainly isn't what we have, but I do have places out in our yard where that would be a visual treat. Though the rabbits and dogs would probably do them in. Here are are a patch Crocus tommasinianus Ruby Giant and then a shot of my dear dogs who flatten a few of our Crocus vernus Negro Boy every day when they head out the gate. I shouldn't have planted them there. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd Thumbnail by bbrookrd Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I also like Crocus chrysanthus Cream Beauty which I will order again in the fall to add to a small clump that needs some fattening up. Here is a better shot of some of the Crocus vernus King of the Striped which has spread nicely. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd Thumbnail by bbrookrd Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Those are really nice looking dogs you have there. :-)

I really don't have much lawn here either and I have never planted crocus in the lawn before. But I have spots picked out for them that will not be in the way of foot traffic. Plus for more of the year they are not showing anyway, only for a time in spring. It should look really good. RUBY GIANT is one of the ones I intend to order and yours looks really good planted up the slope like that!

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Between the new bulbs for fall '11 and the 'saved' bulbs I dug in June and replanted in fall '11, I put in over 3,000 tulips last fall. The yellow 'Mrs. John Scheepers' tulips I dug from the bed by the columns (pic 1) are now in a border that stretches the length of my border garden. Here's how they look after warm temps and a nice, gentle rain this week (pic 2).

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

You sure do plant a LOT of tulips. But your tulip displays are always so stunning!

I started on my fall orders for spring bulbs. I just ordered 700 tulips, 25 hyacinths and 100 crocus at Colorblends. I have never ordered there before but I know people that have ordered there and they say the bulbs are fantastic. What I really love about their tulips is the fact that they have these stunning mixes and blends. Can't resist.

I really am going to go overboard this year as this is only my first bulb order. I am also going to be ordering at Scheepers and probably at Brent and Beckies.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I ordered from Colorblends for the second time last year, and I love their products. They send nice, healthy large bulbs, that are true to their color. I will be getting my tulips from them again this year.

That is what I heard, that they have nice large bulbs. Plus those tulip mixes they show are just out of this world.

Made my second bulb order of the year yesterday. This time I did my Brent&Beckies order. That is-
150 dutch iris
100 iris reticulata
150 crocus
135 daffs
125 tulips
total of 660 bulbs

So what with the Colorblends order and this one that makes 1,485 so far. Still to do, an order from Scheepers and one from Van Engelen. Those will be large ones.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Rita, you're going to have a SPECTACULAR display next spring! I hope you'll post pics.

Oh yes, I love to post pictures. Will definately do that.

Today I did my third and fourth bulb orders. First from American Meadows and then from Breck's.

I liked things there at American Meadows (only a total of 187 bulbs) so I just had to have them! So I ordered-

50 Wild Crocus Bulbs Minimus
50 Wild Crocus Bulbs Fuscotinctus
20 Dutch Iris Bulbs Bronze Queen
15 Double Daffodil Bulbs Poet's
20 Triumph Tulip Bulbs Giant John
24 Triumph Tulip Bulbs Dutch Princess Mix
FREE BONUS - Daffodil Bulbs Martinette (Bag of 8)

They are having a 50% off sale which made these a good buy. At full price I doubt I would have ordered even though I want them. So these ship in October. I have spots picked out for everything.

Then from Brecks a small order of bulbs but still. All tulips this time. 24 Improved Rembrandt Tulip mix and the one I just flipped over 60 Firespray Tulip Mixture. Now I just noticed the Firespray tulips there compleatly by chance as I was looking at the Rembrandt mix and wanted to see what else there is. I had never heard of Firespray tulips. Then I did web searches and found out that it might be possible to find red firespray elsewhere but the mix of red, yellow and orange was only available here at Brecks. It is a shorter type of bunch flowering tulips and just lovely. Actually latin name of Praestans Fusilier. I have never had any type of bunch flowering tulips before. Oh and I also found out these came back for people and you shouldn't need to replant. They are going in two garden spots, 24 in one section and 36 in another. Then the 24 Rembrandt mix still somewhere else. So add another 84 tulips to my ongoing order total.

So far my ongoing bulbs ordered are 1,756.

You all are not going to believe this what I just did now. I have been looking at Scheepers and going to order there too but was looking at their selection of greigii tulips. Was looking for more so searching the net.

So wanting a nice selection I found a place that has a wonderful selection of greigii tulips and not the ones on Scheepers. Nothing wrong with the ones on Scheepers as I am going to get some of those also but I wanted more. Looking for newer varieties. So I found a place called Dutch Grown Bulbs From Holland. Apparently your order ships directly from Holland. Lovely selection. Only problem is that it was 100 of a variety at a time, no lesser quantities accepted and with a $150.00 minium order. Hey, you think that would stop me? Of course not! I am now the proud owner (or I will be when they get here this fall) of 400 greigii tulips. 100 each of 4 varieties. I picked GOLDWEST, LARGE COPPER, MARCH OF TIME and SUNDANCE. Honestly they were a bargain at $37.50 per 100 and only $22.00 shipping.

I know were they are going in this one daylily bed, I can make the 400 work. It is actually in a place I had thought not to even address this year but I guess those tulips are ment for my garden as I found them! It should be stunning come spring.

I am really trying to add not just my usual Darwins which return even though decline and my Triumph tulips that I adore and never return, but types are known to return year after year. That way I can have the best of both worlds. Greiggii are an early blooming perennial variety.

http://www.dutchgrown.com/wholesale/gardening-landscaping/tulips/greigii-tulips/

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Congratulations, Rita! I like the Greigii tulips for their foliage as well as the blooms. They make a wonderful look in the early spring garden.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Rita, Love reading about all your selections. Working on mine. Here are a album of some of what is going on in parts of our garden during the first week in April. I need to do one for March as we had some lovelies out then too. Patti

https://picasaweb.google.com/pmc.ack/GARDENALBUMAPRIL2012?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOay_frCnYeH-gE&feat=directlink
Patti

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

What a wonderful album, Patti! It looks like you have had a gorgeous spring!

I really do have the bulb crazies this year.

So measuring today that bed that I intend to put those tulips is 10 feet long by 4 1/2 feet wide. It has four rows of daylilies in it. Between the ones in the first row, I already have crocus ordered that I will put there. Between those daylily clumps in the last row will be planted daffodil bulbs in clusters. So that takes up some of the space. So the tulips have to go in the spaces between rows and also bewteen daylily clumps in rows 2 and three. Honestly, 400 is an aweful lot of bulbs for the area. I could have ordered less but that would not have worked as I wanted a mix of colors. So I considered 4 types the minium to get the mixed effect. Five might be better but no was could I have ordered another 100 bulbs so the four will do.

I will figgure it all out somehow.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Rita, Never Never Never Less!!!!! Always more. It will be gorgeous. I think I need to go check out your new vendor as those by name sound interesting. Thanks for the tip.

We spent the day outside cleaning and edging more beds and moving some shrubs and raking, always raking. We discussed what we might add to some areas that are in full bloom now and I took many shots to add to my album. I will post another blast later tonight when I get them labeled. Patti

Not even close to done yet with what I intend to order. Scheepers is not taking orders till mid May so no choice but to wait.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Rita you're such an enabler, thanks for the link. My oh my, you're going to have a fabulous garden full of many blooming spring bulbs in 2013.

I Have definately gotten the bulb crazies this year.

I went back to place were I bought the 400 greigii tulips (100 of four different kinds) and made another order.

So started with 200 kaufmanniana tulips SHOWWINNER. Those are red low growing early blooming. I did find lots of pictures so that is about what I know for Kaufmannianna but I love vivid red and I love the idea of these being early.

Then I ordered 100 bunch flowering tulips COLOR SPECTACLE. Gosh these things are beautiful. Yellow with red flames thru out. I searched and searched around to find them in a lesser quantity but not only couldn't find a lesser amount, I just could find it elsewhere at all.

Then I needed to order another unit of 100 something to make my minium order requirements so I ordered 100 darwin tulips JEWEL OF SPRING.

2,556 bulbs ordered so far

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I stand in awe!

Critter, I am sure you have done more than that in one year.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Barely... and only because a lot of them were "little" bulbs! I'm envious of your easy-dig soil... but with this many, you'd better sharpen your bulb auger and test drive your drill before planting season!

Many of them will be planted in the "trench" method. That is dig a long (longish) hole and depending on where located set 50 to 200 bulbs in trench and cover. Of course can't do them all this way.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

trenches work! I often dig big "blobular" holes.

Yes, going to be doing some of those also. :-)

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Rita, did you check GW on that company? This is Dutch Grown Bulbs From Holland:

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/3531/

Those direct from Holland bulbs came and by Monday I had gotten all 800 of them planted along with my 72 bulb order from Brecks. Absolutly gorgeous bulbs from Holland and nothing wrong with the Brecks bulbs either.

The company in the watchdog is not the company I ordered from, different website and company.

So I am waiting on my orders from Brent&Beckies and from Colorblends but what do I do on Wednesday? I order from Van Engelen. 1,600 more bulbs!
600 crocus
100 iris RETICULATA
250 daffodils
650 tulips

I really must be crazy!

I just counted up what I ordered for this fall including the ones I already planted.

4,144 bulbs.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.