can you tell me what I have?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I got a great plant yesterday from a good friend. I have seen the picture, but couldn't tell you where:)
It's a succulent (almost sure) with a huge star shaped flower that feels like leather.

Kamloops, BC(Zone 4b)

You have a plant from the Asclepiad family. These are the so-called 'carrion plants' because, as their pollinators are mostly flies, they smell, with varying degrees, like rotting flesh. For an extensive album of pictures by one of the best growers of Asclepiads in the world, go to the page using this address:

http://www.cactus-mall.com/stapeliad/index.html

Valley Village, CA

Probably stapelaid gigantea, if its yellow with stripes and about 14" across. This is their flowering season. Put it outside with the cats. Hi Jeff, Norma

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

that's it Crasulady, thank you. I found mystics picture in the photo forum, that's what I saw earlier:) Does it really stink??

tiG,
It definitely is a conversation starter. Usually the conversation starts with your guest saying either: "Ohmylord, what an incredible flower!" or, if they don't first notice the plant before inhaling: "Oh MY, what died!!" Conversation usually continues in another room or outdoors. Sunlight on the flower intensifies the odor.

You might also have S. nobilis, which is less odiferous and has a 12" salmon pink flower.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

when she gave it to me, she said it was a dutchmans pipe, but a different one from the calico flower. I can't find anything on dutchman except calico and similiar. The flower was old when I saw hers, so I think that's why it was yellow. If I see it, I'll know for sure:)

Valley Village, CA

Jon, Hi Stapelia nobilis sounds good. It sounds that she may have the plant that is on the front dust jacket of H. Jacobsens Lexicon of Succulent. Is that Nobilis? Norma

Newport, OR(Zone 5a)

I have a suggestion. Put it out side when it blooms. Way outside! Another little lovely is a Voodo lily. They are very hard to get rid of. I had one growing near my patio and I could smell it all the way in the house. I never did get that thing out. It just kept coming back. It's probably still there doing it's thing. I moved. Not because of the lily, however.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

These things sound like they would be great along the back fence to draw the flies away from the house in the summer!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.