What's happening in your neck of the woods friends, Aug/10

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

absolutely, Betty - someone said to me that maybe she did it intentionally. I know better, and she doesn't deserve to have me say anything.
btw - I had forgotten that I have a tripod, and that would take care of any unsteadiness, as long as I have someone to play the piano, and someone to press "record" it may turn out better after all :-)
The Lord does give us some challenges, eh? ^_^
It's all for a reason!

Victoria Harbour, ON

All for a reason is right,

Been a busy weekend, it's Beddybye time..

Good Lord willing we'll gab in the morning!

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

M I remember when i had to get up with my puppies to let them out.. We bought our house and installed a doggy door now i can sleep they just go out whenever.. (or could sleep before the baby anyways)

Betty how did the birdhouses turn out hope you got them finished.. Its very nice of you to offer that young lady a place to call home..

Susan hope the new recording goes as good as the first solo went, i understand the frustration but agree its better to not tell her..

Hubby goes back to work tomorrow, hes been off for the month.. So its just me and the baby, I'm on my own no more help through the night.. I think i will be ok, tired but i'll make it..

Its going to be a hot week here temps were nicer last week when it wasn't to hot so i could get out side with Alli..

But Alli has fell asleep on the couch, and i think i should take advantage of this sleeping time and head off to bed myself..

jen

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Jen - it wasn't frustrating, at all. Just a minor disappointment which I am ALL over!!
I don't know if I can get the same dynamics as the first one, when I sang for an audience, but I know my DM will love it, cuz it's her DD (and I'm her youngest, btw LOL)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Been lurking but not posting, not much exciting happening in my life! Rained almost all day today, cold enough I turned the furnace on this morning. Years ago I would have just put another sweater on, now I indulge in the luxury of turning the furnace on in July if I feel like it!

Didnt walk the dogs because of the rain ,worked at the House , 2 tours today, 1 family with 3 kids maybe 9/11 years old, they were quite interested and asked lots of questions whihch was nice, I dont look forward to kids on the tours, they usually seem quite bored!

I have an Adirondack chair which has lived out in the garden many years, I have decided I will paint it next spring but not the final color: there re 3 clematis growing nearby, the color of the chair will be one of them. One is purple, one a deep wine red, one a deep rose. Of course I could just repaint it a different color every year! Here is the purple one ( Polish Spirit)

A friend dropped by yesterday- she is a sheltie lover and wanted to meet Abby - we sat in the sun and chatted for a bit then sent her on her way with a bag full of garden produce. Had lovely cabbages this year, beans, beets and carrots. I always plant 4 cabbages because I buy them started and they come in a 4 pack. Neighbor Marie takes one and makes a great cabbage soup which she shares and I want one, mainly for cole slaw - this year two friends took the other two. This is the first year in many when I have not had to protect the produce from Fancy's veggie hunts!

Yesterday I was pulling up carpet, which is easy but getting all the staples out( from the underlay) takes a lot of time. I have carpet on the stairs and middle and upper landing and the landings were peed on a lot by cats and I decided it was time to get rid of it. The small landing is wood(finished) but the upper hall is old tile, need to find out if it is maybe asbestos. One of the tiles came loose and it looks like it might be hardwood underneath- I hope! The tiles are so old they might actually come up easily.If not I am just getting an area rug to cover as much as possible. Of course if it is asbestos tile I wont touch it or I will have to get it professionally removed. It is all thru the upper floor but pretty much covered with carpet or vinyl.

I am reading the official biography of QEQM by Shawcross- 1000 pages, about half way thru- lots more detail than I need but still interesting except it seems the lady had no flaws which I doubt!

Time to shut down and go to bed. Nite all.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Have a look at this link for a reminder of Katrina - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdFeixqfcP8 Scott and Tanya are both fine violists and Scott is also a good composer and wrote the music on this link. They lost most of their belongings in Katrina.

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Everyone is busy as usual ..

Susan .. sorry to hear of the 'oopsie' .. but .. they DO happen, and.. in the scheme of things what good would it be telling the person now that the horse is out of the barn ..

Lovely Clematis Carol ..and my friend in Calgary has been bemoaning the weather there .. here we are in Thunder Bay with high temps and humidity that is really SO un NorthWestern Ontario like !!
Last night from about 2am til 6am we had a light show and thunder boomers and 4/10 of an inch of rain .. Piper's first storm and he 'weathered it' well .. Lilly was her usual 'I'm being brave but I'm 'not' kinda girl ^_^

Betty .. I think you are wonderful to open your home to that young woman .. this could be the start of beautiful friendship!

Making a stir fry for supper, may as well start cutting veggies.
My back is acting up .. sciatica L side, doesn't radiate down my leg though (one blessing) .. this seems to happen once every 2 to 3 years .. hangs around for a miserable 2 or 3 days and is GONE ... .. day ONE is done .. 2 more to go :(

Toodles

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

My thought exactly, ~M~ re: oooopsie! LOL

I have had sciatica probs, for 6 months, then it "magically" went away, never to bother me again! dunno what happened - maybe it got bruised....

Sheebomba !!! I stood to stir fry the veggies and cook the noodles .. lordie .. after about 10 minutes (maybe less) my back (L butt) felt like it was going to do something that would transcend pain .. so .. I sat down and, of course, immediate relief.
I KNOW I set this off by using the truck this past weekend .. it's newer and the tailgate is 'tight', and, HEAVY .. so .. pulling the latch and holding it going down (gawd forbid I let it just BAM down) .. and then struggling to get the gate back up .. well .. I think I know what I did .. this too shall pass (QUICKLY I hope) !!!

It's 40C here right now .. AC can't keep up .. dogs don't want to go out .. neither do I LOL .. so hoping the forecast for a 'cooling trend' Thursday is true ..

Off I go

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Got in a bit ago, lordy our courts waste a lot of money, wouldn't you think if you were going to adjourn a trial until spring of 2011 that you would do it before having over 100 people, paying mileage, having them sit all morning having coffee / chatting???

Oh well, guess I'd be complaining if I got to be on the jury..lol..home I am, tired as can be, talk about a hot and humid day, put the sprinkler on but think I'll shut it off because I just know the minute I put my head down I'll be snoozing..

So want to gab with you, please excuse my bad manners, not posting, but it's nap time for this old gal..

See you in the a.m.

Betty .. as jaded as this sounds .. isn't it just 'typical' of the system .. hope the room you were in was air conditioned !!

Already 23C here at 6am .. looks to be another gruesome hot and humid day here .. with thunder storms expected as well.
Lorna has a docs appt .. we best leave early as handicap parking is at a real premium at our local hospital .. lord knows I don't want to be pushing her across an asphalt parking lot in the heat .. mind you .. she usually wheels herself, all depends if it's on an incline .

Have a fella from a local window shop coming to give us an estimate to replace 3 big windows .. it's time .. best be sitting when he gives the final tally !!

Off to feed the dog ..

~M~

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

Holidays are over. Put my sister on the plane to go home around noon today. We had a good time, did lots of tourist things, walked a lot of beaches, talked a lot and ate out a lot - a real holiday. However that is over now - it is back to work for me tomorrow and back to cooking and cleaning too.
Really hot here as well. 32 today with humidex of 39. The thermometer on the deck - in the sun says 46 now. Didn't cool off much last night so warm in the house today and no AC here. Will be hot sleeping tonight.
Hurricane Earl is barrelling down on us. Right now they are not sure exactly where it will go. Latest track is showing it going over Nova Scotia. Supposed to be around on Thursday or Friday so will have to keep an eye on that.

Am watching the Weather Network Laurie .. they are fer sure taking NO CHANCES that folks won't be forewarned and forearmed re Earl ..
SO glad you and your sister had such a nice relaxing holiday .. it went fast ...

Fellow coming to estimate the window replacements cancelled til next week .. was OK with me ... he'll be back next week.

Have 'tentatively' signed Piper up for Puppy Kindergarten .. would start in Sept. Still have to find more about it.
Lilly got Kennel Cough from her puppy school as they were using a common water dish .. course .. the owners denied it .. but I plan to ask if participants are to bring their OWN water and dish ..

Fingers crossed this will be the last day at 40C !!!!

Off to make supper

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Over 40 here as well with humidex..don't know what I would have done without a/c this summer..wow..calling for cooler temps on the weekend, wouldn't you know it being a long weekend but things change..was rumbling tonight, thought we'd get a storm but seems to have passed us by..won't be so lucky on Thurs/Fri.

"M" I ordered two windows 61 x 42 for 2 front bedrooms a few weeks ago, am hoping they are in this weekend so my brother can instal..if not, guess as long as it's done before thanksgiving it will be ok..only windows left will be two 28x30 which they are to provide me with an estimate...wow, windows don't come cheap do they!

Ahhh Piper's going to go to Puppy School, how wonderful..do you get to join him?

Laurie, sure hope the storm passes you by, I also heard by Friday it could possibly hit the shoreline of Nova Scotia..let's hope he weakens..

Bit of a let down after the excitement of having your sister visit..takes so long for the vacation to arrive and it seems only hours and it's gone for yet another year..do you have any more vacation left?

Tired tonight, of course in this heat I just had to work on an outdoor project..Greg and Noah dropped in and I got a lecture..why with all the gardens in the yard did I need to start creating in the ravine 5' down from my property in swamp land..hey, they call it creativity..lol which reminds me, my can of white paint is still outside, best I go take it in then head for bed..

Gab in the a.m.

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

Back to work tomorrow - can't believe how fast it went. I still have a week of holidays left. Booked now for the week of Sept 13, my son was supposed to come home but because he started the job in November of last year he doesn't have holidays this year. That was disappointing. Would like to go out and see him but have to find a dog-sitter. There is a kennel near here so may go and see them and what they are about. I will probably cancel these holidays and rebook for maybe Thanksgiving.
This is a picture of my sister at Hopewell Rocks. Unique formations of rocks sculpted by the 50' tides that come in a go out there. Also called the Flower Pot rocks.

Thumbnail by growum
st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

And another.

Thumbnail by growum
st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

one more

Thumbnail by growum
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

wow - kewl rocks!!

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

I took about a hundred pictures - don't know what I will do with them all, they were just very neat to look at. We got there right at low tide so got to spend 3 hours on the beach before the rising tide chased us of.
Back to work today. It is now 24 with humidex of 28 at 6:30, forecasting another 34 day with humidex at 40. This is by far the hottest weather we have had this summer. Air conditioning at the bank anyway so I will be cool but poor Abby - hard to keep her cool. Lots of fresh water and fans going everywhere in the house.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Love the photo's..when we had our RV we visited same area, I was in awe of the beauty!

Hard for a/c's to keep up..won't it be fun getting our next hydro bill?

84 degrees, can't you tell I'm old fashion, humidity is at it's highest, heat alert issued..said we beat 2000 record for highest temps in September..

We'll be shocked though, cool weather for the long weekend..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Pray for good weather for us this Long Weekend, Betty - we're going TENTING lol
Leaving Friday afternoon, back sometime on Tuesday......

Well Susan I'll say a prayer for ya, thinkin a warm jacket might be instore though !

Raining here .. love it as DH 'brought in' the apples yesterday .. 3 boxes of wonderfully sweet apples, not touched by frost yet, but .. don;t want the bear to get'em .. have made one cooked pie a 3 for freezing (so far) .. knock on door, elderly neighbour (widower from up the road) gave me 2 baskets of Peaches .. so . have made him a pie and one on the go for here .. doing all this while suffering through a bout of SCIATICA !! Not bad bad .. but enough to make standing a bit miserable .. Lorna has helped quite a bit :) even though cooking is NOT her thing .. told her just about anyone can peel an apple and cut it up :-)

We SO need this rain for the country wells..

See there has been another oil rig explosion in the Gulf .. doesn't appear to be as bad as the other .. good thing it's located out of Hurricane Earls way !!

Hope everyone is doin fine !!

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Rained heavily here all night but sunshine is now peeking through the clouds, but omg they are calling for rain everyday this long weekend, I'm making plans to have all the grandchildren, wanted to do Collingwood Caves and on Sunday Canada's wonderland but no can do if it rains..guess we have to take what we can...went to lunch and to me it's even hotter/muggier than any of the other days...all I can say is thank god for a/c..

"m" my mouth is watering, fresh apple pie, then peaches to boot..yummy, yummy in the tummy...lucky you!

Did not hear about the oil spill, will have to go look at the news bulletin..

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I am sanding!
Although the floors in this wartime house were all hardwood the upper floor had been tiled and I covered it with carpet. Had to remove the bathroom carpet a few years ago ( cat peeing) and recently decided to remove the carpet in the small hall also. I had not realised this floor was hardwood and some of the tiles popped loose when I was pulling staples and was I surprised! So I had a chat with a lady at a flooring store and started popping tiles, the glue was so old most came up pretty easily and now I have started sanding the old glue off. I just to a small section at a time so it will take a while but the wood is looking so nice I keep wanting to go back and do more!
Once that is done I will have to put a finish coat on it and get the quarter round and put back plus edgers where the bathroom vinyl and bedrm carpet meet the wood.

Heres what it looks like- old tile in the middle, old glue on left and bottom and strip on the right where I have been sanding.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Carol - that looks fantastic! How wonderful to have all that hardwood underneath, being preserved for a time when you're ready to change out the tile!
I understand the hard work ahead of you, though. Used to live in a 1912 home, and it was tiled with asbestos tiles (the red ones with the white shot through it) and some rooms had 70's shag rug (orange in one, and purple in another!).
What kind of hardwood do you have? We had Douglas fir - the softest of the hardwoods.

Victoria Harbour, ON

It will look fantastic, nothing like aged wood..are you doing it just using your hands or are you taking advantage of an electric sander? you'll be thrilled with the finished project...sure wish there had been aged flooring in this house..nothing gives a home a warm feeling that wood flooring!

Know you want to keep going back to it but don't wear yourself out...you'll be posting photo's won't you once you finish it???

Lucky you!

How are you doing today Susan?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have a small palm sander, if I didnt I would surely go buy one - not about to do this manually!

I had all the carpet pulled and floors refinished on the main floor about 15 years ago. It had never been touched so came up beautifully. I think it is fir - dont really remember. Even the closets have hardwood!

I will not do the bedroom - too much like work ( besides it is most likely asbestos tile and if I wanted somebody else to do it it would be a great fuss!) although if I had realized when I bought the house what was under the tile I think I would have had it finished before I moved in.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

doing fine, ty, Betty.
I had my "interview" today, but it wasn't for a particular job - it was with an Employment Agency. They offered a Medical Office Assistant position - 1/2 time (noon to 5) for now, but working into full time. It's just for being at the front desk of a Dr's office. Doesn't really sound like it would be challenging enuff, or pay very much......

Carol - when it's all done, it will look Fantastic - kudos to you, kiddo!
Do you think you'll have it done in time for Christmas?
When does Lougheed house open this year, and are they finished the reno's? I'd love to go there at Christmas, as I've never been then.........

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan LH is open all year except week between Xmas and New Year.No sure what reno's you mean- they were closed Jan this year to have some floors refinished but that is all.

Dont know dates for the Xmas celebration- usually it is in late November.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Yes, the reno's I meant were the floor refinishing. My bad memory - I thought there was more to it than that.....

Ah well - please let me know (unless I can Google it and find out) when they're opening for the Celebrations because I'd like to see it - an Old Fashioned Christmas - I Love it!!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well Im not sure I would call it Old Fashioned! Each room is decorated by a different designer so sometimes it is really quite modern!

Morning all ..

Carol, good luck with the floor .. I think it'll look so warm !!
No chance I have ANY wood here .. only cement ...

Rained all night, nice steady SLOW rain .. we had expected a deluge .. slow and steady at least STAYS and soaks in ..
Have to keep pinching myself to remind myself that it's SEPTEMBER ... where does the time go !!!

Back is feeling perhaps 25% better today .. will have to cool my jets for one more day .. then I think my sciatic nerve will give up and calm down for good !!

TGIF

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" just said same thing to myself, TGIF..lol

Yikes, painful having a sciatic nerve acting up, you were doing too much right? any plans for this long weekend?

Rained here all night and the sky is dark and heavy, guess weather forecast is right on target rain all weekend..glad I have projects to keep me going.

Carol, the photo's you posted of Lougheed House last Christmas were spectacular, will you take on more hours now that it's fall?

Susan, enjoy your camping, praying for sunshine but just incase bring along your umbrella! On the good side, don't fish bite when it's raining! Don't be discouraged, am sure a job meant just for you is around the corner..

Lordy, cleaned the guest room closet where I've been staching box after box of Christmas goodies that I've got so far as the young lady who is moving in with me for 4 months will arrive either Sunday or Monday, talk about a chore to find a home for all of them...shhhh don't peek under my bed, please....

Time to get ready and leave but not before I look for knitting needles..bought that new wool that's out than fans out..made for scarves, thought some of the girls might like one so need something to do at work this morning, might as well be knitting...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oh, I'm not discouraged, Betty.
Funny you should mention fishing - Bob wanted to update our fishing tackle and go this year, but we only have the inflatable dinghy, and haven't gotten our licenses yet because it's so late in the year (Apr 1 to March 31 is the season), and we'd only get this weekend in...... We're NOT ice fishermen LOL

Carol - I'm trying to picture Lougheed House as "modern" and I'm afraid I can't...... modern for what era? Obviously there are some "touches" that would have to be modern because of functionality, but the decorating is what I was thinking of. Are there some that would not be do-able because we don't have the sort of supplies they would "back then"? I suppose so....

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan- I am talking about the Xmas decorations - you will see!

These are professional decorators so they have lots of things that even we probably dont have available- and probably most of us cant afford to use either!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Gotcha!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

torential rains here and high winds, omg drains can't keep up, will be flooding for sure..another 1 1/2 hrs. to go and homeward bound I am...drats and more drats...

Susan, so no fish fry then..lol,

what kind of weather are they calling for this weekend in your neck of the woods?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

ooooh Betty - glad you're not near Earl! yikes on torrential rains and winds!!
When are you going to get the phones switched????????????

We're supposed to have light rain on Sunday, and cloudy periods on Monday/Tuesday in Pincher Creek, where we're camping. Friday 24, Saturday 23, and Sunday 9, Monday 11, Tuesday 13 celcius for the HIGH....yikes!! Well the low will be only 3, so it's "handle-able".
As long as it's sunny........ We have sleeping bags good to -6c, so that's good ^_^

We'll have to have many, many Blazing fires, too! Oh, and an elderly couple that we met on the last long weekend (July) - we called them, and they will come there, too. They have the cutest little camper - It looks seamless almost, and it's roundish - it can be pulled by a car, too! Would be a little more $$ though. But it's as cute as a button!! It's called "T@DA" and can be pulled by "most" passenger cars. It's no good for someone of Bob's height (6'3") cuz it's interior height is 5'9", but it was perfect for this elderly couple (in their 70's).
Here's a link re: this cute camper:
http://www.roamingtimes.com/rvreports/3/tada-travel-trailer.aspx

and here's it's smaller version - T@B:
http://www.roamingtimes.com/rvreports/tab-teardrop-trailer.aspx

Can your car tow 2,000 lbs? If so, then the T@B is good.
If your car can tow 2,200 lbs then you could use the T@DA

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - here's a whole list of small tow-behind trailers:
http://www.roamingtimes.com/smalltraveltrailers/index.aspx

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks Susan, you go enjoy yourself..still raining here..thanks for the trailer links..think I found the one I want..

have to remember I've a little vehicle so it has to be really lightweight..there are several others I'm considering..

http://www.leesurelite.com/

I've even called them..could order now and have delivered in early spring!!!

ooops got to clean my desk, time to leave!
Enjoy your weekend everyone..

This message was edited Sep 3, 2010 12:58 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.