Photo by Melody

Canadian Gardening: What's happening in your neck of the woods friends, Aug/10, 1 by fancyvan

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright fancyvan

In reply to: What's happening in your neck of the woods friends, Aug/10

Forum: Canadian Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What's happening in your neck of the woods friends, Aug/10
fancyvan wrote:
Been lurking but not posting, not much exciting happening in my life! Rained almost all day today, cold enough I turned the furnace on this morning. Years ago I would have just put another sweater on, now I indulge in the luxury of turning the furnace on in July if I feel like it!

Didnt walk the dogs because of the rain ,worked at the House , 2 tours today, 1 family with 3 kids maybe 9/11 years old, they were quite interested and asked lots of questions whihch was nice, I dont look forward to kids on the tours, they usually seem quite bored!

I have an Adirondack chair which has lived out in the garden many years, I have decided I will paint it next spring but not the final color: there re 3 clematis growing nearby, the color of the chair will be one of them. One is purple, one a deep wine red, one a deep rose. Of course I could just repaint it a different color every year! Here is the purple one ( Polish Spirit)

A friend dropped by yesterday- she is a sheltie lover and wanted to meet Abby - we sat in the sun and chatted for a bit then sent her on her way with a bag full of garden produce. Had lovely cabbages this year, beans, beets and carrots. I always plant 4 cabbages because I buy them started and they come in a 4 pack. Neighbor Marie takes one and makes a great cabbage soup which she shares and I want one, mainly for cole slaw - this year two friends took the other two. This is the first year in many when I have not had to protect the produce from Fancy's veggie hunts!

Yesterday I was pulling up carpet, which is easy but getting all the staples out( from the underlay) takes a lot of time. I have carpet on the stairs and middle and upper landing and the landings were peed on a lot by cats and I decided it was time to get rid of it. The small landing is wood(finished) but the upper hall is old tile, need to find out if it is maybe asbestos. One of the tiles came loose and it looks like it might be hardwood underneath- I hope! The tiles are so old they might actually come up easily.If not I am just getting an area rug to cover as much as possible. Of course if it is asbestos tile I wont touch it or I will have to get it professionally removed. It is all thru the upper floor but pretty much covered with carpet or vinyl.

I am reading the official biography of QEQM by Shawcross- 1000 pages, about half way thru- lots more detail than I need but still interesting except it seems the lady had no flaws which I doubt!

Time to shut down and go to bed. Nite all.