DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 79

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Yes, we all have our own unique responsibilities and joys we indulge in. I'm happy making butterfly memories just like everyone else on this forum. Our backyard is also certified by the NWF :D

This message was edited Aug 4, 2010 8:02 PM

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh Susan. That's just great and amazing! My species are down, though the massive amount of Red Admirals this year was fun. I have not seen a giant swallowtail here in two seasons, though this one is not over yet.

Now that the Tithonia is blooming maybe I'll get more. I know that my zinnias usually pull them in but I'm lacking in the zinnias this year. boo.

MJ, someday your little GS will be bigger and can help you take the pictures! Nanny is already training her GD!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Mrs_Ed,

For us, the best zinnia is the 'Zowie Yellow'!!! :)
For us the Tithonia is the magnet for everything at the end of the season...it even gives hummingbirds great places to perch even when the blooms are about gone...
Here's a pic...

Thumbnail by SusanLouise
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Cute hummer pic Susan....he looks sad that they are dying back.
What are your temps there now?

Yup, I grow the Zowie too. It's awesome. but I didn't get it planted early enough, so I only have a few small plants. Oh well. there's next year. I saved lots of seeds!

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Yes, my grandson is a joy to me......I love him dearly, and nothing is as important as the the time I have with him, especially since he is just like his father ! Brings back wonderful memories............ I love them both very much...................

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Sheila,

That hummer pic was taken on September 21st last year. The temps here have been in the 90's with humidity between 55-70+ for about 2 weeks now...UGH! However, I don't want to wish the summer away...just half the humidity...it's maddening to be outside for long lengths of time.

Mjs,

Congrats on having a GS...not everyone is blessed with having children and grand kids :)

Monarch this morning on the swamp milkweed. I've had two out there for a couple of days.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Great shot. They say Monarchs don't start to migrate south until it reaches 51 degrees here; is it the same there?

Oh boy Shelia, I don't even know. The latest I have photographed is early October. I think I've heard of roostings in September as they move south.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Sheila,

Our peak migration day last year was the 19th of September. the year before it was the 24th....

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I was curious as to the temp when they began, I think that was the indication for them.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

On the topic of Monarch migration. I've a question please. I live in central Alabama, so am I more likely to see these butterflies during their journey only? And when they stop and lay eggs just in time for the next generation to migrate when they eclose? So far I have seen very few Monarch. My Milkweeds just sitting there and serve as nectar sources for others type of butterflies and skippers.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I am about to witness the miracle of eclosure! Here is our future 'Black Star'. My very first BST raised indoor. SusanLouise, will you kindly be the 'godmom' to this little bundle? Since I appointed myself to be the new MOM. lol.

Oh BTW, this chrysalis was formed on July 21. Just last night I noticed its color deepening and I can almost see the wings pattern through the transparency of the chrysalis outer layer.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh my soo much going on!!

Congrats on 40 Susan!!

mj...enjoy your grandson!! They grow up way too fast can't believe our GD's are 12 & 10(11 in October!) eek!

Lily....don't take your eyes of it or you'll miss it!

I just missed both of them today...again!

But it I had 2 girls today!

Photo of the first one(#6)...while I holding this one as I waited for it to fly, the second one eclosed. I was sitting right next to the container....aarrgh!

This message was edited Aug 5, 2010 2:21 PM

Thumbnail by nanny_56

#7 BST to be released....

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Mrs. Ed, I just saw my first Giant Swallowtail for this year a couple of hours ago!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Yay on the swallowtails and GST!!!!

I think I saw (twice) a BST oviposit on the parsley. I went to look for eggs and couldn't see any. ah well. Have to look for the instars later.

I watched one ovipost and couldn't find the eggs until the next morning!

Painted Lady was so nice in posing for me!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yea Lily....looks like tomorrow will be the day if not later today. Is BS caged inside or outside? You need to get it where you have a place to sit and watch because it happens soooooo fast.

Pretty ladies nanny...so bright blue.

It is so hot here and everything is wilting before noon and sits in the scorching sun all day. I do pray we get a nice slow rain soon. I can water my plants and keep them alive but I feel sorry for the ducks at the pond down the hill, the creek is dry with plants sprouting up 4 foot tall. Their water isn't very deep since it is mainly for run-off and now it is loaded with floating green algae (nasty kind with bubbles). I hope the Parks dept will add some water to keep their food source from drying up. But we all know what City budgets are like now days.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Lily,

Well, bless your heart! Would love to be Godmother to Black Star :D
I agree with Nanny...if it doesn't open/emerge today, definately tomorrow...
Get a strong cup of coffee in the morning and watch the magic of it's wings filling with fluids and becoming a beauty...Congrats Mom! It looks like it will be a male too...time will tell!!!!

Nanny,
Thank you...and Lovely pics!!!

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Lily make sure that you wake up early. These guys are rather early poppers. I missed 2 of the 3 that I had and got to see the 3rd one after it had eclosed already and was drying up.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Roly and Sheila, my 'Black Star' didn't wait until the morning. I've got bad news that it may not have made it. It propmtly eclosed and almost drowned. I moved it from a corner of the room (no direct sun light) over to the kitchen area where there is florescent light. It must sensed the artificial light and eclosed early-and felt into a bowl of water. It struggled when I released out in the garden. I'm not sure if it made it off to be a happy butterfly or not. I'm saddened.

I've 4 other chrysalid. I need all the encouragement y'all can give before I give it up all together. I feel like one butterfly mommy failure!

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Lily,

Oh no! I hope Black Star will be ok...(((Hugs)))
I was right...it is a male....and a beauty too!!!
Hope you'll keep us updated :)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Lily....they don't usually take off right away or take nectar, so don't give up. The wings don't seem too crumpled....are they?

If it helps to know...my first emerged in the middle of a freeze...no flowers anywhere. I had it in the house so instead of overwintering it thought it was still summer I guess. I tried to feed gatorade an d wait out the freeze, but it died. We learn from mistakes, so shake it off and try again, don't give up, we all have losses but you will make a difference.

Now when I have one go into chrysalis I wait a day until it has hardened then move it to a cube cage I have out on the shop deck. I have clamped it to a shelf so it won't blow away. I pin them on stryofoam and when they emerge and the wings harden, I simply unzip the cage and they fly out. As it gets cooler and some over-winter, they will sense the temperature change and will stay in pupa stage until spring.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Red Admiral on last of Black Beauty

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Greys Hairstreak I think -

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Hairstreak

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

mating

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Wonder if the white one is an alba Sulphur as 1 white and 1 yellow in above hard to differentiate post.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

and a green dragonfly

Thumbnail by jmorth
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Wonderful shots jmorth. It looks like the wings are shaped different on the sulphurs also. Maybe Dale can check it out.

Kim...we all have lost one...but I think your guy probably was okay. It is very interesting to watch how they cahnge as they dry. The wings expand.....and the colors become more vivid. If you have a while take the time time to watch!

One of yesterday's releases...

Thumbnail by nanny_56

This shows 2 of the empty chrysalis... one was green & one the brown

This message was edited Aug 6, 2010 1:35 PM

Thumbnail by nanny_56

ah, they grow up so fast. lol.

I had a male monarch eclose today. I looked at it this morning and was surprised that it had not done the deed yet. When I went out later, it must have JUST come out because it was so small and wet. I thought for sure it was going to have OE or something. Within 2 minutes it was much larger. In about 1/2 hour I moved it to a warmer spot to dry out. So darn cute.

YAY!!!!

I have seen more monarchs around this week so I am walking around hoping to find a cat!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Right Marna....they are quick. Once they expand their wings, they have to harden...if bumped during that time it could cause wing damage.

good to know Shelia!

Now answer me this. The last three cats that I have are in one cube. One made the chrysalis a day or so ago. One made it this morning. Now the third is on the move to make one. The question is. WHY do they all have to do it side by side? It's adorable but I'm curious just the same.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Great nanny! I ordered a tagging kit for the first time and hope to tag some this year...if I don't I will be so sad. Last year I released around 50 hand raised but didn't have tags. This year I plan on netting and tagging also. Still remember getting to tag at the Botanic Gardens in 2007.

ms.Ed... I am not sure but evidentally they leave some sort of trail. I have had BST leave the host plant and end up on the brim of a hat on a statuary. Of course it could be they are going in a certain direction also, and just end up there. Maybe Dale will give us the true answer. LOL!

This message was edited Aug 6, 2010 12:45 PM

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

Oh, good luck with the tagging. It will be interesting to hear how it goes. I'm just getting over my fear of handling them. Not that I'm scared, I'm just worried. And I have that erroneous thing in my brain from my childhood. That if any of the scales get knocked off, it wont' be able to fly. sheesh.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.