DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 79

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Great photos here on the last thread in case you missed them http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1116628/

Darn it !! I just missed seeing the 3rd 'TODDLER' emerge from its chrysalis! That would be so cool to see. I will release a little later after its wings are good and dry.

Had this Black Swallowtail out here on Sunday checking out the penta plant I bought. Wondered if it might be the one we released on Friday.

This message was edited Jul 27, 2010 10:01 AM

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail on the echinacea...

Thumbnail by nanny_56
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Torch Flower "Airport "
several pics

Thumbnail by mjsponies

Someone call air traffic control !

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

I love all of the pictures. The Swallowtails have become some of my favorites. Not that I get much. I still enjoy my Gulf fritillaries as well as the Monarchs but would want to attract more varities to the yard.

ok, last one and I gotta "git" !

Thumbnail by mjsponies

I can't believe all those BF's MJ!! Very cool...and I need some of those flowers!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

mjs....5 bfs in one shot!....NICE!! I ma loving your flame flowers...don't have those.

The Torch Flower is hands down the favorite of the butterflies, and I've got tons of Tropical Salvia's, Agastache, Coneflowers, Milkweed Zinnia' -( and I'm not an annual person so I plant them strictly for the BF's., and we now Plant several Torch Flowers, you should be able to grow them Nanny, easy to start indoors or even if spring outside them get to bloom size quickly.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

I agree. Torch flower is the favorite. Last year the monarchs were always on them. I collected seed last year… I'll send you some, nanny. but they are HUGE! Tall that is.

This was from last year. I was behind this year, so they are just now starting to bloom and only about 4.5 feet.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

I think I can squeze some in somewhere...I just have too!! Would love some seed Mrs. Ed...so they will come back then?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

They say they are annuals nanny if it is Mexican Sunflower Tithonia rotundifolia 'Torch'. I would love to have some seeds if you have extra Marna. I will send a SASE if you do, I have your address from the DG exchange, jlmk.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2010 9:05 AM

Kissimmee, FL

Hey guys I too have used the tithonias and love em, Torch,fiesta del sol. sundance,and diversifolia. All work great! but the annual varieties i have noticed to seed quite intensely. The diversifolia does not seed as bad, but here in florida topped out at about 18 feet.

Kissimmee, FL

I also forgot to mention that I also have some seed if anyone would like.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Viceroy can the seeds be started now or would it have to wait until next year ??

Kissimmee, FL

Roly in your area you are lucky enough to start them anytime. If you started now you might have some into the fall.

Sorry I was late to this.

Yah they are annuals here. I did not see them reseed, but then I tilled that area up and put a ton of mulch on it. These I sowed in a milk jug and then moved. I'll check how much I have. Between myself and Viceroy, you should be set. Plus I'll gather some this year. I grew the shorter Del Sol, They are nice, but I preferred a taller item for where I have them. Plus, the foliage is nice.

Another from last year.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Yep...'Tithonia Torch' is a definate must have in a butterfly and hummingbird garden!

Here's an Eastern Comma and a Hackberry Emperor sharing a plum...
The Hackberry Emperor, although common, is brand new for our records :)

This message was edited Jul 29, 2010 1:40 PM

Thumbnail by SusanLouise
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey Susan....by you saying "our" records...are you meaning at your house or for your county?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Our home gardens/backyard habitat :)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Great that you are keeping your records, wtg!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Sheila,

However, I had submitted 3 rare sightings to the "Butterflies and Moths of North America' and expert Paul Opler verified through photos I submitted for 3 butterflies/moths were the 1st ever recorded for our county...Lancaster!!! :D
All of those sightings added blue areas on the map for each of those species on their website last year...Yay!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

That is why I asked. I have gotten them to add one also by sending a verifying picture.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Shelia,

Just want to clarify though that the Hackberry Emperor is new for our home records...but not for our county on BAMNA...

Our 3 rare sightings were for:

Large Orange Sulphur
Western Tailed Blue
Titan Sphinx Moth

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Nice...!

How many can you find ? Look close !

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Mjs,

OMG! Are there 5 Tigers there?

HA! Love that Plant. Surprised there is not a hummingbird in there too!

THAT butterflies and moths site is nice but as far as the county records, it's only as good as the regional coordinator.

I sent a request in to populate our county. Common species too. Send pix and everything. There was no update. I heard back from someone, maybe a supervisor and she was going to have the guy put in the records. Nothing.

Oh well. Still nice to see the US range on the BFs.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Mrs_Ed,

Sorry to hear of your troubles with the site. Many of my pics have been added to their database too. I guess our regional expert is more on the ball. you can always write to them back again and let them know of your concern. The majority of those that work there volunteer their services and there are countless # of records that they have to update and maybe your coordiator has gotten very behind, or is not able to keep up...or just can't volunteer anymore and they haven't found a replacement. It could be anything. So, I would write Kelly Lotts back. She is very nice and helpful :)
I checked this link and you do have a different regional coordinator than us...good luck! :)
http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/faq/state

This message was edited Jul 30, 2010 11:15 AM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

mjs.....I am looking at doubles on some blooms ....is there nine??

Great action regardless of the number.

This message was edited Jul 30, 2010 1:17 PM

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I have some tithonia seeds as well as zinnias and milkweed if anyone is interested.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I would love some of the tithonia seeds. Can I send you a SASE for them? I checked and found you in the addy list, so let me know if that would work.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Nope, just Dmail me your address and I will get them out today :)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Done!! You are a dear for sending them! I plan on taking out a couple of small trees this year and trimming back some others. There will be several places I will try them.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Has anyone ever tried using salt blocks to attract butterflies? I have used various fruits and I know they like bird doo doo, and short of having animals pee in our yard (read they like the minerals/salt from that too), I was considering a salt block.

Anyone successful with a salt block? And which butterflies did that attract?
TIA :)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Those that have livestock may know the answer to that.

Quote from Mrs_Ed :
HA! Love that Plant. Surprised there is not a hummingbird in there too!

THAT butterflies and moths site is nice but as far as the county records, it's only as good as the regional coordinator.

I sent a request in to populate our county. Common species too. Send pix and everything. There was no update. I heard back from someone, maybe a supervisor and she was going to have the guy put in the records. Nothing.

Oh well. Still nice to see the US range on the BFs.

Yeah...I have had the same thing....I am not going to bother anymore.

I found this dead Question Mark in the road.....yesterday.

I was working outside this morning and saw a Painted LAdy but I didn't have the camera out with me.

No salt block at my house. I don't want the deer in my yard!! lol

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Nanny,

That's too bad...they appreciate everyone's sightings.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Buckeye bliss -

Thumbnail by jmorth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.