Fire ants

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

This may have been covered here before,but being pretty new to DG I'm still exploring the various forums. Does anyone have a good way of getting rid of fire ants...preferebly a natural one?? They seem to be taking over my yard and I HATE the little b******s. Putting commercial stuff on them only seems to make them move to another spot. AArrrrrgggg!!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Try coffee grounds, the stuff you have left in your filter after making coffee. sprinkle it on the ground. Let me know if it worked for you

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

flowox...have you tried this? and do I sprinkle on the hills or around them? I've tried grits,but they really didn't work.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Turmeric powder works. I use it at home. Sometimes, I pour kerosene on them.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

this may sound silly to u, but it works for me. ants are known not to cross a line. draw a straight line with either cleanser [Ajax, Comet], or 'old' cinnamon powder u no longer use for cooking. these two products works in sending them off. observe & u will notice, the ants do not cross that line. when i tell people about it, they think i've gone bonkers, but once they try it, they love it.

commercial solution is Diazinon. again draw a line with it and u will notice they disappear. but Diazinon is not safe around pets or children. another solution is plant woodworm - ants do not like this plant. warning though, plant woodworm away from edible plants, the leaves of woodworm has effect on edible food.

ant's by nature do move on... there is no way of totally irradicating them. prevention! prevention is the key!

if u are up to it, get up super early in the morning. boil plenty of water. pour boiling water over their nest early in the morning.

here's a url to learn more... http://www.antcolony.org/natural_ant_control.htm hope that helps... ma vie

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

MVR, thanks for the info.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I use ground cloves to keep ants out of the house. I don't think they are fire ants, just the common ant. But it might be worth a try to sprinkle some of that around.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

u're welcome Dinu.;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.