Any ideas on these plants?

Beaverville, IL

I found these in the garbage. They were part of "basket gardens" from what the tag stated. I believe they were sent to a funeral or something like that. Anyhow, I took the baskets apart and seperated the plants. I need an ID on the veriegated one, and the palms. Thanks!

Thumbnail by Cornfieldtradin
Beaverville, IL

The palm

Beaverville, IL

The other palm, I believe. Not sure what it is

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

1st plant is a Prayer Plant, not sure on the other 2
Christine

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Both of your "palms" are Dracaena. The 2nd one looks like Dracaena marginata; not sure what the 1st one is but it's a Dracaena as well.

Beaverville, IL

Dracaena marginata 'Tricolor' perhaps? I'm new to this hoby so learning! Thanks very much for the help. I just want to know how big they will get and if they needed direct sun light or not. Looking like I have a good match of plants for indirect light, I have them in a westward window (about all I have). Here is a close up of the first "palm", it does have a woody trunk or stem.

Brian

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi Brian, your right I checked in my plant book and it is the tricolor, lovely plant that needs moderate to indirect light and can live 10+ years and keep lightly moist, fertilize every 2 weeks in spring and summer. Hope that helps. Good luck with you new hobby the people on this forum have alot of knowledge so keep your questions coming.
Christine

Ellendale, DE(Zone 7a)

Cornfieldtradin, you remind me of myself! One man's trash is another man's treasure. That's exactly what I would have done, to rescue the prayer plant from the garbage.

Beaverville, IL

Agreed Tim, from what I have been reading the Dracaena marginata 'Tricolor' with the thick stem or trunk (what is it called?) has to be an older plant. Some one put a lot of time in keeping it small in size yet the stem to grow that thick. Almost like a bonsai type. I found a Schefflera arboricola also, and ran across a web page that talked about making it a bonsai. So .............. I'm trying it! What can I loose but time right? Check out one done.

Brian

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.