I would like for DG to have...

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 211 votes:

A mobile app feature for my phone.
(24 votes, 11%)
Red dot

The ability to post more than one image at a time.
(123 votes, 58%)
Red dot

Email notifications when someone posts to a thread I'm watching.
(19 votes, 9%)
Red dot

An Activities and Events feature for festivals and lectures.
(22 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Other (tell us!)
(23 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

What kind of limit in the forums would ya'll suggest? (provided we can do it)

4 per post maybe?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yep - 3 or 4 is a good number...

Bark River, MI

I would agree, no more than 4.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Definitely no more than 4 per post in a thread.

I don't read blogs so that would be up those folks to decide.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

A serious attempt to up date the Journal features. Patti

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Here, here Patti - I'm with you on that. And I'd be happy to offer my suggestions and ideas to whoever would be in charge of updating the journal functionality.

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Quote from Katlian :
These are the things I would like to see:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1078025/ [/quote]

ditto... especially...
[quote="rockgardner"]By the way, I LOVE that match-maker idea also ;)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1065632/

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I have never felt the need for an ignore button. Generally people are quite civil and work things out if an issue arises, but this is quite rare. I prefer DG being a more tolerant place than that. If someone's posts genuinely and routinely annoy you, just scroll on by. I don't want that uncomfortable feeling of people being shunned by a few or many.

I would like the ability to post more than one photo. Though I have only wished for this option a few times in the past, it would have been nice to get it all in one post rather than stringing photos along in several posts.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Used to be complaints about the Search features. I don't know offhand how well the Search box works for people these days.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

The search feature would be better if it included the forums and posts, not just articles, PlantFiles etc. I've keyed search words looking for a post I replied to that may have become dormant only to get results in PlantFiles, Articles, Marketplace etc. but NOT the forums. As far as an ignore feature goes, I just don't read the posts from some one I want to ignore... (Not you Dahlianut!!!!!)

Doug

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Doug, it does include the forums. Click the advanced search tab and you'll be able to select the forum, date range, and even the member if you want.

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

4 is a good # to set it at

the blog at 6 would be good.

Sarge

South Lake Tahoe, CA

Would love to post more then one photo at a time.

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

Voted for more than one image at a time, but would also love the activities and events feature!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

I'd love to see RSS feeds for the forum threads.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

I would like to see more than one photo per thread; four seems to be a reasonable number. There are still some poor souls on dialup so a limitation isn't a bad idea. I was going to vote for email notification when a new response was posted in a thread you have participated in, but I agree with a comment above that that feature could really clog your mailbox on a busy site like DG, unless you only post in a very few places. What about a notification when you receive a Dmail, though? Many other forums that I use offer that.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Quote from greenhouse_gal :
What about a notification when you receive a Dmail, though? Many other forums that I use offer that.

We do - if you don't read a dmail within 48 hours of its arrival, the system sends you a "message waiting" notification to your email account.

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

it pops up under the tabs and I get one in my e-mail after a day or two .

Sarge

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Terry. I guess I never go 48 without logging on to check things out, here!

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Terry, did Melody get with you on my suggestion?

Doug

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Yes Doug, we're talking about how to best to do this. We've a couple of options, and are looking for the best one.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

""We do - if you don't read a dmail within 48 hours of its arrival, the system sends you a "message waiting" notification to your email account."" Terry
I bet I never go 48 hrs without DG, and always check a dmail first! I have more fun with DG than regular email

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

I have DG with draws when my comp crashed( i chuched it out the door ) and i was down for 3 days i had to git my pap's comp folks round here were bout to haul me off . till my wife told them just let him on the computer to git on Dave's Garden and Git his Fix and he will be fine .LOL

Sarge

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Could the list of families be added to the advanced search for PlantFiles? I was looking for a red flowered member of the pea family (that I couldn't remember the name of) and it took a while to pour through all of the red flowered perennials.

South Lake Tahoe, CA

How about a "pop-up window" with friends online?

Must have a link to make friends too.

:)

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Please don't turn DG into a social networking site. We have enough of those. If that's what you're looking for, DG has a FB page where you can see friends galore, leave comments, etc..

Dave's is so unique that, except for a few tweaks, to change it would be a disservice to all who use it. Adding the four pic limit per post is enough. It appears that many features that folks want are already here. They just need to know how to find and use them.

It really ain't broke. You know the rest :-)

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

I'm strongly with JudyinGA on this. DG is unique as it is and I would not not
continue if it turned into another social networking site. There are plenty of
those. I don't need links to "make friends" nor do I want everyone to see
when I am online. Many of us work and don't have time to spend all day
on DG.

Quoting:
It really ain't broke. You know the rest :-)

Bark River, MI

I have to agree with Judy and June on this --

(hey, something like half a million of my closest friends are here on DG, I can just look at the membership list for that)

;-)

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

One thing I do want to continue is having certain forums only
accessible to paid subscribers, e.g., Parking Lot. I realize that still
leaves those "private" threads open to 7,000 people but that's a
lot better than enabling a universal Google search of every word we
post in DG.

We all know there is no privacy on the Internet, but having some
threads less public than others is a feature I appreciate and am willing
to pay a subscription fee to have it.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Agreed June.

Doug

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

Quote from JudyinGA :
Please don't turn DG into a social networking site. We have enough of those. If that's what you're looking for, DG has a FB page where you can see friends galore, leave comments, etc.

I wholeheartedly agree.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Ditto.

South Lake Tahoe, CA

Didn't know DG was on Facebook. thanks!

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

See? There ya go ... one of those features you didn't even know about. The FB page is great. They just had a photo contest and are about to do another. I didn't win :-( but it was fun anyway.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I didn't know that either. I do know that DG has many features I dont know about or can't figure out how to use. I'm better with dirt then computers!

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

I can't figure out how to do the journal but I'm so new there's not much to "journ" yet. I just keep a notebook here by the computer and write in it when I can remember to do it. What I ordered ... from whom ... receipts ... what I planted ... whether it lived or died ... stuff like that. I keep the plant tags in the pockets. Would love to do an online journal though so I could add pics. The verbage is confusing. But that is a great feature. I enjoy browsing through other people's journals and looking at their pics.

And, of course, Plant Files and Garden Watchdog go hand-in-hand. Just yesterday I was looking for a particular antique rose I had lost in the snow and ice last year. Looked it up on Plant Files, saw the vendors who had it for sale, found one really close over in Alabama (never heard of it before), checked the Garden Watchdog (excellent ratings), went to the website and found they had many hard-to-find antique roses (so I ordered another) and ordered for September shipment. (You can add a note and I said "do not substitute.") I figured the closer the nursery, the less time the plant will be on the road when it's shipped. Also, they're grown in my weather conditions. Got an email immediately with a note from a real person (wow!) who complimented me on my choice and pointed me to another site where I could get a book on Noisettes (which I also ordered from the Charleston Horticultural Society). And all done from references on DG.

Needless to say, I am very happy here.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I will change the subject as I have an idea of a thing I would like to see.
Submit a list of members you interact with often & be notified when one of them posts in a forum. Like people said, there are 231 forums & no way to keep track of all of them. I've missed important things my "friends" have posted in forums I do not "watch".

I'm with Doug, get rid of that obnoxious plant files thing in latest threads!

Bernie

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Bernie, the time stamp issue should get rid of the PlantFiles problem with the latest threads. A couple of quick fixes caused problems elsewhere. They should be rolling out this fix shortly. We're all looking forward to that and it shouldn't be long.

Many moons ago, before Facebook was even a glint in the creator's eye, we tried a 'whose on line' thing and it was overwhelmingly decided to do away with it after about a week. The DG Facebook page is neat and you can follow various activities and see who else is there: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Daves-Garden/60793307544

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Bernie, being followed around everywhere I post would make me
feel like I was being stalked! ;-) If such a feature were to be considered
many of us might want an option to block it for ourselves. Even on
my Twitter account I have it set so people have to put in a request
before they can follow me.

I'm with you though on the plant files thing in latest threads!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.