I would like for DG to have...

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 211 votes:

A mobile app feature for my phone.
(24 votes, 11%)
Red dot

The ability to post more than one image at a time.
(123 votes, 58%)
Red dot

Email notifications when someone posts to a thread I'm watching.
(19 votes, 9%)
Red dot

An Activities and Events feature for festivals and lectures.
(22 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Other (tell us!)
(23 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

More than one image at a time????? That would be AWESOME!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

These are the things I would like to see:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1078025/

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

It would be most awesome to post more than one pic at a time

Westmoreland, TN(Zone 7a)

i would like to post more than one image at a time

Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

Now that DG has grown to an immense crowd, it would be useful to have a forum with threads where only some members would be free to make comments only by invitation. Nowadays in commonplace subjects, especially with many newcomers, it is quite easy for some to start re-inventing the wheel in their comments, and I have often felt that this derails the whole discussion completely. To be polite to everybody, we never try to stop the newly-wise-owls, but it would really be nice if we could have a "circle" open to others to read, but not open to all to write- what do you think?

Please do not misunderstand me - I am not an elite-ist - I simply wonder if it is possible within DG to watch a discussion of some level without some "parsley" growing in the middle.

The "how-to" is up to the computer guys. I thought Dave presided in this forum, but I see some invisible "admin" here - anyway, I know Dave could easily knock up a good application of this sort - and let the others lay the rules and see how it goes.

Best wishes to all

Dimitri

Broaddus, TX(Zone 8b)

Zone 8b, Heat Zone 9, Sam Rayburn Lake, Southeast, TX
I would greatly appreciate comments from Dave:
How he is doing?
Pics. of his landscape.
Interesting comments on a seasonal basis.

Let us hear from you, Dave.

Thank you

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I would like DG to fix the timestamp problem in PlantFiles...... It's getting really irritating after so many months to not be able to see new posts because this problem is ongoing.

Doug

And for those of you who do not know, I don't think Dave is welcome here anymore.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2010 7:48 PM

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'd love to see the "ignore" feature instituted.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I would love to be able to post more than one pic at a time.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

I dislike Email notices on other sites. If one is active on half a dozen forums and gets an average of just three responses the in mail is plugged up with eighteen notices usually with no way to fast click to the forum. One site I am now on even Emails me a notice when I make an entry.

Posting more than one picture will really show this site some dandy misuse of time and space. If you think some individuals dominate with text just wait to see what a pile of pictures space hogs will generate. I feel the existing picture space is very generous.

Is not "stop watching" the same as an ignore?

I would like to see a character limit per post.

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Doc, I have to agree with you, although I voted for being able to post more than one picture. Thinking more about it, the photo dominants would really take over. I don't mind seeing many photos that are useful ... like befores and afters, or photos of entire gardens, or a bed and how it relates to the plan of the garden, but photo after photo of a single flower do drive me to distraction at times.

So, disregard my vote. I think things are just fine the way they are. :-)

Doc - I fully agree about the photos.

If I'm enjoying a thread or forum but one person really annoys me the "ignore" feature would not show the posts that person makes.

Pirl.....Is there a site example where "ignor" can be witnessed. If yes is there a way the "ignor" would also tell the person being ignored that they are being ignored and by whom? I feel that any ignor by anyone should be clearly understood and visable to the person being ignored.

When we used to talk about it on DG someone said another site, I don't know which one, had the feature. I doubt the other person is notified.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I wish that I could have voted for "all of the above".

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

On an old AOL chat room for widows and widowers there was an ignore button which eliminated the person from your viewing list. (It may still be there, I just haven't been there in a while.) If you hit your "ignore" button, any posts he or she made did not show up. I don't think the person was notified, though. The rooms were monitored pretty heavily though and this was mostly for cranks and weirdos. That would be a great feature. I agree with Pirl on that one.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O bother I'm gonna get 'ignored' for sure (snort). I like the more than one pic idea cuz it takes along time to post pics one at a time and there are some threads in Forums that are for posting your daily pics so it would save alot of time. Maybe it could be a feature that could be thread specific?

Fresno, CA(Zone 9a)

I always wanted to post more than one image at a time

Washington, DC(Zone 6b)

Do we really need 231 discussion forums? What a monster. For example "Specific Kinds of Plants" could become one forum (call it "advanced horticulture"). Any thread could just name the plant in question, in the title. Anyway, I find the categories to be to numerous and to specialized. Wouldn't it be easier to monitor fewer categories. Just my two cents.

This is a much improved model, IME. Of course they don't get nearly the volume that DG does, but some of the options I hear people looking for are available on the Barr Report site, http://www.barrreport.com/forum.php and TPT, http://www.plantedtank.net/

This message was edited Jul 14, 2010 2:43 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

WHAT? Wayfarers are you thinkin no Dahlia Forum?!?!?!? (just funnin you ^_^) I like the specific Forums cuz there are experts there who are very helpful and you can go and look at very luvly pics of specific plants. For instance the southern members post pics of their spring bulbous things on the Bulb Forum while I am in the cold and the dark that gives me a lift in Jan/Feb and right now the DLs are OUTSTANDING so that is a great Forum to visit.

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

I have to agree with pirl. I have always thought an "ignore" feature would be a nice addition. It allows the topic to continue but the person(s) and the posts are not shown to the one using the feature. Everyone else is able to see it though. You can also choose to release the ignore feature and read the posts, if you feel the desire to do so. The person being ignored is not aware that anyone is ignoring them.

Washington, DC(Zone 6b)

Are we worried that the search feature isn't going to help find Dahlia posts? Just kidding. I still think some categories could be pruned back to general topics for viewing purposes. For example, beginners question would be more interesting as one forum, IMO and easier for members and the experts to follow, especially using the mobile app feature. Is this making any sense? Seriously, 231 discussion forums? I'm willing to bet some of these discussion groups would see more traffic if they were grouped in more generalized categories.

This message was edited Jul 14, 2010 4:36 PM

This message was edited Jul 14, 2010 4:41 PM

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

I love the idea of more than one photo, especially on my gardening blog.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I would love to see a really robust but easy-to-use gardening journal online tool. Something more organized and versatile than a blog, where I could keep a sortable database of plants and growing notes, upload photos (direct from my Blackberry would be great), create bed and plant rotation grids and plans, track weather patterns, post blog entries, etc.

I'm sure this could be set up manually via WordPress or something, but a ready-made tool with gardeners in mind would be fab, don't you think?

Washington, DC(Zone 6b)

Keep it simple, fewer places to post would mean fewer places to look for new posts. There are too many categories for day to day use. For example, one question I posted was answered on the Beginner Gardening forum (TY pirl) right away, but I am still waiting on a reply from off of the herb forum for the same question. If someone has a particular subject they want to look up it doesn't make it any easier if there are 231 places it might be listed.

Thank you for this survey btw.

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

If the hosta forum were taken away there would be an uproar. If the region specific ones were taken away it would be the same. If you combined the aroid forum with the people from the cacti forum, it wouldn't work. Not everyone has the same taste in gardening and they don't want to have to weed through a hundred posts that have nothing to do with what they are into. I have my favorite forums saved as such and I don't waste my time in forums that I have no interest in. For me to go looking for an answer in places where people hang out that are into something totally different than the few things I am into it would be a waste of my time.

You should never expect an answer to any question. To expect anything online will be a let down. Luckily most questions will get a response in time but sometimes they don't. It is not a valid reason to remove other peoples favorite forums just becuase someone feels that they were not treated fairly in them or didn't get their answer as fast as they thought they should.

I for one voted for the multiple picture upload feature. People in the Midwest forum asked me for more pictures of my garden in the What is Blooming thread. I obliged over and over and over again about 10 times in a row. I also do it in the Hosta forum on ocassion.

Frank

Baker, LA(Zone 8b)

The ability of posting more than one picture at a time is definitely a plus.I have another application that I like to use. Google Chrome has an app/ extension called Facebook Autozoom, to use on Facebook where you just roll the mouse pointer over a picture and it automatically zooms. I just love this feature. Here's the link to the description of this feature. https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/elioihkkcdgakfbahdoddophfngopipi?hl=en

I think it's needed for DGers.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I still can't believe you counted to know there are 231 forums wayfarers ^_^ I have entered you in the Great Book of Lists as a good person to know for statistics.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I would like to be able to post more pictures on one post. Why even participate in a discussion form if you want to ignore posts? That's the whole idea, to discuss the issue, not just hear what you want to hear. It seems really rude, it has been my experience that the individuals who want ignore are usually the ones that are ignored. I don't believe it to be a coincidence but more do to a personality trait. Personally I don't need to control the discussion, thats why its a discussion, I may not like what somebody writes but its not all about me.

Stratford, TX(Zone 6b)

I would like the ability to post more than one picture in my emails, journals and blogs. The discussion forums are for discussions, with the pictures playing a supporting role. I think those in the discussions could be limited to one pic per post, to keep people from bombarding us with "look at my pretty plant" photos. Those can be reserved for blogs, or we can create a discussion group for showing off images of your pretty plants. I don't want to discourage those who want to share their pics, but I don't feel like a discussion forum is the place for that. Or, that type of sharing can be done on the PlantFile itself...that way everyone who is looking for information on that particular plant will be able to see a great example. I hate it when I get a plant that has only one, or no, images to view.

I DO like the many, specific forums. There are so many posts in each one, and such specific information pertaining to those forums, that combining some of them and then trying to find pertinent information would be a monster of a job. If you feel like your posts fit more than one category, you can post in multiple categories to find your answer.

I would also love a mobile app for my phone, as I have plants at work as well, and sometimes want to share pics from the office.

An events calendar would be nice, but I live in the boonies, so that feature would not be one I would use.

I also like the idea of and ignore button, as long as the person isn't able to see they are being ignored. That would cause too many hurt feelings, as internet intentions can be easily mis-interpreted.

Bark River, MI

Since you asked -- I'd like to see Dave back in charge of Dave's Garden.

Washington, DC(Zone 6b)

dahlianut, I know there are 231 forums because I can't get to them all and I am sure that I miss out on an occasional gem of a post that lands outside the subcategory. It surprises me that the members who would like to see a mobile app feature don't back me up on this. I am not trying to say all of the specific forums should be changed and never suggested that they be removed (morphed is a better word). But, there are many more subcategory divisions then I need to enjoy reading through a topic and still find what I'm interested in.

Frank -The Beginner gardening category does not have "hundreds of posts". Each one of the subcategories has on average four post a day. So, 12 posts a day total if it were one forum. That is by far fewer post then a lot of topics on some forum sites I visit. If DG adds a mobile phone app it would be much easier to scroll through one category with 12 post, then looking at 5 categories with only 4 posts each. Same for country living, why so many sub categories when each forum has fewer then 4 post a day. If I am interested in country living wouldn't it all be interesting to me. Same with leisurely Pursuits, same with House to Home. In the House to Home category there are six forums that basically deal with plumbing and electric issues. Why couldn't they be combined. I personally find it more interesting when reading a forum and someone posts a topic I might not normally "be into". Scrolling through the posts is much easier then having to jump around to different yet similar categories.

About ignore features - yea, I might choose to ignore someone that exaggerates the facts and twists other peoples words, ranting fools berating those that have a different opinion. They often win arguments simply by yelling louder then the other guy, not because they have fairly thought about a topic or have anything to add. The problem is that they still get to post their ranting foolishness. The only difference, if I have them on ignore, I don't see it. What fun is that.

+1 what RxAngel said about more than one picture.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

On second thought after reading the posts here, I too (like Judyin GA) rescind my vote for more than one image at a time. It would probably just clog things up.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Morphed and ignored hmmmm. I would like to know if I'm being ignored cuz it would make me laugh to see 'You are being ignored by 734 1/2 people' on my home page. Maybe there could be a contest for who gets ignored the most ^_^

YA! DITTO what weedwhacker said!!!!

Also if there are new techie things added, please and thank you for a FAQ for us non-techies to figure it out.

Yea..................we could all use Dmail to gang up on an ignored person. With a bit of effort and technique tweeking we could likely push an ignored to eliminated. Of course we need the ignored button to be counted so a dozen ignored blacks out a severely ignored. Three times severly ignored is off the site for as long as it takes one to re-enter with a new userid. Maybe we could get a whole desktop screen flasher to anounce the death of another member. Background music too? Sure why not?

Washington, DC(Zone 6b)

Diversity can be a good thing but y'all are just a bunch of segregationists.

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

The inability to post more than one photo at one time makes the thread longer resulting in starting "New Threads" or lenghty bloging inputs and updates .

Having The ability to up load more than one photo at one time instead of making a patch work photo would make things much nicer for showing issues one is having with gardens or showing off flowers ,or bloging about one's fav's things .

I Vote Yes for the Opption to upload more Photos at Once So they are in one spot with the post or Blog that you have Writen .

Thank You,

The Sarge

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I would like the ability to post more than one photo at a time. Another site I am on we can do that and it doesn't seem to be a problem with people hogging all the space for their pictures... at leastt not on the forums I regularly visit.

I do hope it is a feature that is not abused if we are able to get that ability. There are definitely instances where it would be advantageous!

I also somewhat like the idea of an ignore feature...

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

I like the idea of more than one picture, but with a limit on how many
per post. I don't want to scroll down 4 feet to see 20 pictures
of someone's petunias in one post. ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.