What's happening in your neck of the woods friends , July/10

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Well .. for the first, and likely last time , I thought I'd try to 'move us on over' before I posted pics of Piper ^_^

Here goes ............

We are coming from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1106724/#new

Hope this works !!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Will only post a couple of pics of the ne wee one ...
Suffice to say he is a joy .. and .. one small package of ENERGY.

Betty .. I sure do hope you are feeling better .. this heat really does me in .. can't imagine how Jen must feel !!

Wasn't going to venture out today, but did anyway .. it's 'a bit' cooler by the Lake .. but, the humidity is still very oppressive ..

Okay 2 pics :)

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

In the above pic he is sleeping on one of his toys ..

In this last pic, you can see Lilly in HER chair, while Piper is asleep below on his plush toys ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

Just too adorable..bet the heat is bothering him...

Thanks for moving us over..was getting long..

Found out what happened to Corey, he was working on his moms' house and got into a bee's nest..allergic to bees and had no epi needle..not a smart thing...he's home now and doing fine, thank goodness..

got a box with an amarylis bulb, put it in soil 3 weeks ago and set it on the deck..each and every day I come home to new flowerets..still 3 or 4 left to open..got to find out what I do with it now..

Been in jammies, cuddled on the couch like an old prune..Ann came to visit and here I was, sound asleep...watch now if I can't fall asleep again..

Sure hope you all had somewhere cool to hang out today..heat advisory here..

Night/night all
Good Lord willing, we'll gab tomorrow..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Up an at'em .. seems my new 'rise 'n shine time' is between 4:15am and 5am .. BUT .. Piper slept from 9pm til about 4:45am this morning .. he'll play homself out til around 8am and go for an hour long (or more) nap .. this too shall pass in a few weeks ..

Whoa Betty, NO EPI PEN and an allergy to bee stings .. never a good mix, Corey is indeed fortunate to have survived to tell the tale.

Out on the patio with the dogs this morning and the humidity is already YUK !!! BUT .. no snow to shovel LOL !!

The Amaryllis is gorgeous .. remember my Mom would let it finish blooming, trim it back, put it in a dark cool place and bring it out the next year. At least i 'think' that's what she did ..

Off to find the pup ~~

~M~

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

Don't know how you folks in southern Ontario are standing the heat and humidity. It has been warm here but nothing like what you are having and we usually have a breeze blowing. Cooled off enough last night that I got the lawn mowed. Supposed to have rain today and is a cloudy dark morning, only 15°. If there ever was a good day to go to work I guess this is it. Though rainy day usually means I can get some housework done. Watered the garden last night so that usually means rain the next day. Something got into my birdfeeders last night and one of them is lying on the ground this morning. Raccoon I imagine.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Have lots of racoons here as well, I've got my feeders on 4x4's and up in the air so I don't have any destruction....poor little birdies - no home!

Rain passed us by, no relief from yesterday with the heat/humidity, same for all week..thank goodness I work with a/c and have it in the house..nice and comfy but it sure does hit you when you go outside..would have loved to cut grass last night as well, with this weather it's growing to beat the dickens..but like "M" said, you don't have to shovel in this kind of weather...

"M" puppies are like babies, play then sleep..seems like you are adapting to all the changes in your life of late..how's Lorna doing?

Keep cool my friends

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hot and sticky in Ottawa too and we are into a music festival with concerts in churches. Last night's venue had AC, but the one today at noon does not. Fortunately for me, I'm stage manager and the church has AC in its lounge and offices. It will be cooler staying at that end of the building. Friday I'm slated to be at a church that is insanely warm... Most of the rest of my commitments are at venues with AC.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Ann, they are calling for much the same all week so hope in the facilities that have no air you'll be able to find some way of cooling off..are church members able to go and see the progress of the renovations from time to time, are you on the committee?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Betty - I think we all go to those concerts with water. At the warmest church (Friday) I like to work stage because that end of the production is next to their church hall which is used as a green room and now has AC. If it gets too warm, you can nip in there and cool off for a bit.

Re the church renovations, I'm not on the committee, thankfully. I think certain people will be able to access the building at certain times. We have a lounge that acts as overflow for the sanctuary and everything that people thought might be needed in September has been put in there. Everything else has been sealed in the sanctuary. It's the aging Christian Education wing (built a couple of decades before the sanctuary) that is being completely redone. I don't think I posted these here before, but this is a link to the before and after diagrams. http://www.emmanuelunited.ca/_pdf/schematic_1.pdf

Essentially, all systems in the old building are failing and it's costing a fortune to patch it up. It will be gutted, insulated, new electrical, relocated washrooms, relocated staircase for better traffic flow, relocated kitchen so there's no hallway between the kitchen and the large hall (and hopefully no mice either), It's a 2.1 million$ project and they anticipate we will be out of the church until late November.

It's a big job but needed to be done.

Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Quite an undertaking Ann..not your average size church..must have been quite an extensive fund raising effort by the congregation???

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

extensive fund raising effort and endless meetings some of which went on for hours and got nowhere. We will be paying for it for a long time. OTOH, a great deal of the outreach of the church in the community takes place in this building.

It's not an overly large congregation, but it is active and it has the distinction of having produced TWO moderators of the United Church. Wilbur Howard was a minister here (before my time) and Anne Squire who was the first female lay person to become moderator is, in her early 90s, still an active member.

Fund raising is a give and take sitiation for sure .. have done some fund raising with Hospice and the monetary returns were substantial .. but .. fund raising with another agency fell SO short !!!
It'll take a bit of time Ann, but, one day in the future, the Education centre will be complete and used to it's full capacity.

I ventured outside this afternoon .. lord is it H O T !!! I have hears varying reports, but it seems that 36C is the most reliable temp. It is clouding over, with some thunder heads .. but .. I doubt we'll see rain.
Have some pics of my blooming beauties ^_^

First ..the day Lillies (complete with thistle)

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Next .. petunias and millet ... gosh the colours are so vibrant this year !!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

The Asiatic Lillies ...

Re above pic .. the Sweet Potato Vine is in there, but, as of yet not growing that quickly ..

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

The begonia pots ... LOVE the colours ^_^

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

As recreation co-ordinator for over 20 years with Township of Georgian Bay I was always involved in some sort of fund raising with local groups, got to tell you it's a difficult job and as you say "M" sometimes you meet your goal and other times nowhere near...

I changed my weather report here on the computer for local info to Farenheit, you know I still can't figure out the Celcius thing, guess it's because I'm not interested in doing so..lol..like the old way better...without factoring humidity it's 91 right now..that is hot BUT snow is a coming so no complaints from me, although they were saying hospitals and emergency response units are being kept busy due to heat..

"M" those flowers are lovely..love your oriental lillies, none for me this year..boo hoo ... those critters (bugs)ate them all! odd that the potato vine isn't growing???

In this heat and as I'm unable to get outside I've got the sewing machine doing some christmas designs for more quilt blocks, not much I can do outside, and, it's too hot inside to be doing crochet but I need something to keep me awake until Ann comes over to play Bingo while her DH Mike goes fishing...made up my mind, going to win jackpot tonight..share with Ann so maybe she'll win, but either way we'll have the bucks..(wishful thinking)...

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hello - popping in to say "HI" to a new friend from NB (Laurie? - my CRS is getting baaaaaad....) Hope I have your name right...

Been a busy time lately. Still looking to sell our home. Might have an Open House this weekend - not sure what they're planning. Would be Saturday if it is. Want to sell fast.

Susan

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

wow is it ever hot here 97 outside today.. I however stayed indoors for the most part of the day, only going out to water pots though out the day and the garden just now.. Hopefully everyone is staying cool, and finding ways to deal with this heat... New computer is planned for friday.. I should be getting my last paycheck and vacation pay so we'll have enough.. Everyones flowers look so great i love seeing the pictures..
jen

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Some decent weather here although there is usually a treatening sky in afternoon, had a good downpour on Sunday evening .I had such a quiet weekend I cant even remember what I did, in other words no committments! Unusual!

Same cant be said for this week. A few hours at Stampede grounds yesterday helping to get the Hort. Society displays ready - this is the first time for them, hope it is a success. I'll be working there on the last day.

Took Bailey to the vet this morning as he has been favoring his right front leg for several weeks and decided it was time to check it out. Realised it was probably not his leg but his neck as he has had spinal issues in the past and we used to see a vet chiro. once or twice a year. My vet agreed with me so tomorrow we are off to see the vet-chiro.

And this Friday/Sat is judging for the garden competition so tomorrow is a 'garden party' for the judges and we hget our assignments and meet our judging partners. This is my second year as a judge.

I need to get busy and make some dog beds for volunteer raffles at agility nationals in August and also have to paint a Rainbow Bridge Memory board which a friend puts up each year at the big August dog show for people to sign the name of dogs lost in the previous year. Sadly this year I will have one there too.

Weather predictions sound good.

Victoria Harbour, ON

OMG Carol, I'm tired out just reading what your weekend will be like...I've always wanted to go to the Calgary Stampede and have never done so, one year I will..

You've certainly a lot of material to complete the beds from the photo you posted when you organized your supplies...would imagine it takes quite awhile to make one, but, if you've made many you most likely have some shortcuts, tricks of the trade..

Hope nothing is seriously wrong with Bailey..oops telephone rings..

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The beds I am making will be a red with white maple leaf fleece because that mimics the logo of the Agility Assocition of Canada with a dark denim on the other side.
I have a pretty good production line technique for the beds now. Cut all the fleece, cut all the denim, cut the poly fill, layer the beds, pin the beds. All ready to sew which does not take long. If I am doing a lot as I did last winter they are all piled up ready to sew in the basement, I bring the sewing machine up to the kitchen and just keep a couple of beds upstairs ready to go - try to do a couple every day. Im not making many this time - just a few for volunteer raffle prizes

Betty there is a bed on offer here if you decide to come stampeding! I am not so far away.

Victoria Harbour, ON

You'd best not say that too loud, might just take you up on it..would be thrilling to get to meet you..

wow, that is like factory line production..so you'll not just make one or two, you'll make how many this time?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well I only need to make 4 - S/M/L/EL!

The beds sound nice Carol .. good luck ^_^

Another 'scorcher' here in Thunder Bay .. however, late this aft an east wind off good old Lake Superior popped up and it's not quite as humid now ..
Spent the day chasing the puppy and while he slept, I did dishes and tried to tidy the house.
Can hardly wait to go to bed as he has had me up at odd hours. Know it will pass, but I am sure feeling it.

Busy day tomorrow with nursing students and other appts ..

Have a quiet evening

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Took Bailey to the vet/chiropracter yesterday- I was right the limp is not a leg issue but in the spinal cord in the neck area. We did a heat treatment and then she adjusted spine ( he has been a patient with her for several years but I have not taken him in for 18 months - got my hand slapped for that) Promised to do 1/2 hour heat treatment everyday and putting him on Metacam andRobaxin for about a week, If no improvement back to see her again , otherwise back in one month.

Last night a meeting of judges for the competition this weekend. Have 10 gardens to judge in Perennal Garden category-must have a minium of 25 different species and area must be at least 75% herbacious perennials excluding trees and shrubs. Only 1 in far NW, others spread out in SE/SW so my partner is working out a logical route starting way south as tomorrow is Stampede Parade so dont want to go anywhere near the downtown region in the morning.

There is a 10 year old sheltie in Animal Control here and I am considering adopting him when he comes up - not till next week. I have a contact there and she says he is grossly overweight and his coat is so bad he is like a 'matted footstool'! So he will need lots of grooming help and then diet and exercise to get the weight off him. Sounds like a project I would like to take on at the moment! He is a nice looking Tri . I cant copy the picture - he is listed here: ( dog # A476272 about 2/3 way down)

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt?space=Opener&control=OpenObject&cached=true&parentname=CommunityPage&parentid=5&in_hi_ClassID=512&in_hi_userid=2&in_hi_ObjectID=267&in_hi_OpenerMode=2&

Up and off early tomorrow to get on with the judging. Probably wont get it all done in one day but you never know!

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

Went to look at the dog and wow there are a lot of beautiful dogs there. Often wish I could have another but with working all day it wouldn't work I don't think - or I would need a lot of time off at first to get it used to us before I could leave it with Abby and/or the two of them alone in the house. Sometimes I think it is not fair to Abby to leave her alone so much. Though she does have the cat for company. She was with my hsuband all the time she grew up and outside in the gardens everday and now I go to work and she stays in the house. I have a lot of guilty feelings about her and whether I am giving her the life she deserves. She has never been tied or confined in anyway so I can't leave her out but I think she is content in the house. She is a cold weather dog so doesn't go out much anyway in the summer. She is out for awhile in the morning before I go to work, I come home for lunch and somedays she won't go out then, and then I have the evening with her and the weekends. I think she is ok with how things are now, I just have to get rid of my guilt at leaving her alone so much.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Same here, until I'm unable to get out much there will be no more dogs once Sailor girls goes...some days she looks at me as though she's saying 'today is the day' and then the next days she's ready to play ball...

Will have kitties though, can leave them for weeks at a time, just having someone come here and there to feed and clean their box..

But, Carol, looking at that site, I could pick 3 or 4 I'd love to have...ooohhh do hope you get the 10 year old..eyes just say 'take me home'....how come there are so many, is it because people get them who really don't want them? guess circumstances change...Bailey feeling better today?

Do you get to take photo's of the gardens? sure would love to see them..

Rain here today although it says later tonight it will clear and we'll have the nicest weather for the weekend, sun, high temps but NO humidity..thanks goodness.. think it's the only day in about 2 weeks I haven't been dying of a headache..can see light at the end of the tunnel...

have some projects lined up for the weekend..one being a birdhouse..each year I make a new one to add to my collection, I'll see how this one turns out..maybe taking on more than I can chew..

Either Sat. or Sun. my brother Bernie will try to come over and help me with the flower shed and maybe finish the back deck..hoping he does..don't like a list of projects .. you know me, get an idea and want it done TODAY!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty the dogs in Animal Control are dogs that have been picked up loose around the city.( probably sometimes set loose on purpose!) If they have no ID after 3 days they can be put up for adoption. If the owner is known they hold the dogs for 10 days then they can be put up for adoption. I think sometimes they know before then the owner will not come because when contacted they have said no they wont pick up the dog - suspect that happened in this case because apparently they already know owner won't pickup. But they still have to follow the rules for legal reasons - just in case the owner changes mind.

Owner surrender dogs and dogs from outside the city go to the Humane Society.

Bailey is still limping so no change - yet!

Judged 8 gardens today, started off at 8am, picked up fellow judge and got home about 330. We still have 2 more to do but they are on the north side of town so will will do in the morning. 3 of the gardens we saw were absolutley first place gardens but we have not added up our scores yet so not sure who. Those 3 will probably be big winners this year, likely entered many catagories. Hot day too! Need a nap!

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

It's been scorching here over the past several days; yesterday and today reaching 36C. My Begonias are in the shade so they are loving this "greenhouse weather". ^_^

Picotee On Top "Calypso".

Thumbnail by DonM47

Don .. the shade of the Begonia is beautiful. This year mine are a flourescent orange and a very deep red ..

Weather here cooled a bit .. but .. we are heading back up to 30 today ..

Yard work, laundry and puppy chasing are on my agenda for today ^_^

Take care

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Hello there, it's so nice to be mobile again, no headache, best I don't talk too soon...it's hot but no humidity, all around nice day to putzz around the house...My brother Bernie came over at 8am this morning and started to put steps on back bedroom decking, I didn't purchase any wood, he had 90% of it with him ran out for 9 planks..will come over in the morning and put them on..While he was here, Greg my eldest remembered I needed my wheelbarrel tire fixed...he managed to get that done in record time, maybe it was the boat waiting for him at the lake that made him move..lolThen came Rogers' Cable, changed my phone from Bell to Rogers..now the internet, my t.v. shows and telephone are all on same bill, makes it easier...Then a few friends dropped in...MY plans for the weekend was to made a birdhouse project..total of 5 clumped together..all are cut, ready to put together and add roofs then paint...not so sure that will get done today...also have everything I need for my hypertufa planters I want to try and make..so hot out right now that my thoughts are to wait until tomorrow to do them..early in the a.m. might be better before it warms up..."M" your yard is all closed in so can you leave Piper have the run of the yard or must you stay outside with him...Gorgeous begonia's Don...36 is about what we had last week..today, we've a lovely breeze that helps...are you finding your gardens are healthier and more giving this year?Well, if I sit for 5 minutes longer I just know I'll be calling it quits for the day..don't want to do that..lots more to do..Hope you are enjoying your day...My blue/purple phloxI was boohoo'ing earlier, all my trailing plants in planters are all dead, watered them but I guess it was just too hot...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

Really foggy here all day, the sun started shining around 4:00 and it turned into a steam bath outside. But as you can see the fog didn't go far and will be moving back in soon. Looks like cloud but it is fog.

Thumbnail by growum
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Cloudy and a bit cool here all day- started to rain a little while ago.

Wish it had been cool like this yesterday!

Finished judging last 2 gardens this morning then half an hour to go over our paperwork and finished!

Heading into another hot/humid day here .. I hate to say we are getting 'used to it', but .. actually sat outside yesterday and thought it was lovely .. this from a sun avoider and a heat NON lover ..
The puppy, Piper, is NOT a fan of the heat, whereas Lilly will lay in the sunniest spot.

Hope everyone is enjoying their gardens, and, in Carols case .. those of others as well ^_^

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

Just too adorable "M"..the doggies look as though they've been pals for years...how's Lorna doing in this humidity?

Hot today but not as humid, brother Bernie came this morning, finished the bottom decking, of course I cried a river while asking question upon question about how to put that reclaimed old lumber flower shed together, he was just about to drive off when he took all his tools back out..yippee, got it all done except for the tin roof, Greg will come and cut the tin for me..as for the floor and the shelf and seat, I'll order what I need tomorrow morning and work on it ..Jeff is dropping by on Wednesday so perhaps he Greg and I can move it to it's location, once I find a location for it that is...

Got 4 bird houses done, just need a 4x4 to cement in, paint them all white, order a piece of wood to set them on and another project done...I've been missing all these weekend projects since it's either rained or I've been travelling..

Jen, been thinking of you..baby soon MUST be coming..perhaps he/she doesn't like the heat and is waiting till winter..NOT..lol

Carol, bet you are glad to have the judging behind you? lots of work, when will you know who the winner is...any photo's you can share once it's been announced?

Laurie, what a pretty photo...nothing like watching fog move in off the ocean..

Guess we're all hoping for lower temps and no humidity, someone please remind me off this come blizzard time...lol

WHEW!!!!!!! The humidity here is just plain UGLY, depressing, oppressive and UGgggggggg !! Add pockets of rain accompanied by a few Thunder showers and you have a day best spent inside playing cards and watching the LAST (thank heavens) day of Soccer .. BRAVA SPAIN .. we were rooting for the Netherlands though as there is a LARGE Dutch population here in Thunder BAy ..

Piper the puppy has had a day of lessons learned ,, got his tail stepped on by DH and his front paw slightly run over by Lorna's wchair .. no damage done except to us !!!! He is just awful at getting under foot !!
I remember Lilly catching me the wrong way, and me falling tush over tea kettle and breaking my nose .. I am sure you all remember THAT picture of me !!! He'll learn ..

Watched an 'odd' movie today .. LOTS of great stars in it .. plot was kind of mixed up .. but .. all in all a good watch .. called 'Burn after Reading" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0887883/
Watched Jodi Foster in 'The Brave One' last night .. also pretty good.

Betty, Lorna is finding the heat unfriendly. Even though she was born and raised and lived over 40 years in heat, humidity and smog because she lived in Toronto .. she is finding it so difficult with her prosthesis on .. she has to wear a rather thick sock over her stump before she puts the leg on, and, the prosthesis itself is secured around her wasted with a neoprene and velcro belt ..

Sure seems as though you had a great day re projects :-)

Was thinking of taking Lilly for a walk, but the sky has darkened significantly.

Toodles

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Had but 5 drops of rain last night...went outside to have my coffee, there is a stillness in the air, oooh what air? haven't looked at the weather forecast for this week but should...

Always get a kick out of Mondays...they are my day of rest at work..

Kitties want out, best I go let them out..

Gab later

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Worked in the garden all morning then sky started to look threatening so I rushed over to the library and then Safeway, sky in west totally black! Just checking out and a huge noise started, we thought it was thunder but then realised it was hail pounding on the roof of the store. Had to wait a bit before it was safe to go to the car. I thought my garden would be shredded but it is OK. Guess some parts of town north of me were hit way worse, cars damaged, windows broken etc.

Hope the gardens that won in the competition were by passed - winning gardens viewing is 24/25 weekend.

Betty There will be pics on the website at some point. Many years ago they used to publish the names and addresses and they had to stop as too many people were going thru the gardens and doing a lot of damage. There is usually an article ( I had my picture in a couple of years ago) focusing on the big winners but no ID of the location.People who want to view gardens have to buy a passport.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Just got home - spent entire day at Dr. office, ambulance and Health Center.
just extreme bronchitis - nothing they can do, but I should take codeine cough suppressant.
tired and going to lay down

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.