Show Us Your Containers.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

How about some container shots. Window/Deck boxes, hanging baskets or pots maybe something a little different like an old pair of shoes. Whatever you have lets see it. I'll start us off with a pic of my coleus pot.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is one of my Living Wreaths, This one has mini hosta, ivy, small begonias, impatiens and a few other small annuals.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

Caladiums drape beautifully.

Snug

Thumbnail by Snug_As_Bug_Rug
Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

I think that I posted this somewhere else, but I guess it belongs here too. Holly, those living wreaths are fantastic!!

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED
Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful arrangement Roses . . .Red!!

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Snug. Don't you just love how easy and beautiful Caladiums always come up!!

My spices near the kitchen door on the deck.

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful caladium pots. You are so right just stick the bulbs in the ground and the results are always beautiful.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is the new pot I just put together. Still running late getting things potted up. Cannas, Persian Shield & OSP.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
cambridge md, MD(Zone 7a)

Blood lily and pineapple lily in planter.

Thumbnail by orchidfancy
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That's really pretty. I don't have anything like those.

cambridge md, MD(Zone 7a)

I should have a lots of pineapple lilies in the fall they multiply quite well. so do the callas... The blood lily I am not sure how to propagate that one yet.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Caladium question--Mine are in full shade under a norway maple and a silver maple. They are leaning out. Does that mean they want more light? I was afraid of burning them.

All pretty. Holly the latest doesn't look just put together, looks gorwn in and nice too. And there's an interesting short succulent thing to the right there....

orchid-- those are pretty too. Blood lily looks more like an Onion type thing, that would not naturally splt its own bulb much. I might try to collect seed and plant them promptly. I've read onion seed doesn't last well in storage.

My few containers aren't that great so I haven't taken pictures of them. Well, OK, here is a pot with basil and coleus. Having beetles eat the total heck out of the basil 'kind of ' ruined the look. Since putting the onion bag over one basil, its growing new leaves so I think beetles and not slugs as the enemy there.

Thumbnail by sallyg

These are a few caduciforms from Bec. I added some baby cactus and creeping tiny sedum to the bonsai flat container one. It is happy

Thumbnail by sallyg

The guy in the bonsai is blooming now!

Thumbnail by sallyg
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That's one of the plants I brought home from FL. Haven't gotten a nice pot for it yet. It's really interesting gets small yellow flowers but really it's the shape of the leaves.
Portulaca molokiniensis
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/178695/

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

What an interesting group you have Sally, How cool that it is blooming for you. Love the dish gardens.
This is my Fl. group, the other plants are African Milk Bush, Monstruosed Hedge Cactus, Kalanchoe luciae & Spider Lily.
The Lily & Cactus came from my FIL's yard.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Great choices!! I think that Kalanchoe is one I got locally, nicknamed Flapjack Plant for the big leaves

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I've seen it at the local nurseries but the prices are usually pretty high and the plants always seem to look rather beat up. I was really pleased to find such a good looking plant at a reasonable price.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, What's the bat for? Rapping large pest? Ric

snicker- I do have several' weapons' in that shot ! My pests must come in sizes "tennis ball, badminton birdie, mini baseball"

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

..............and better half when he gets out of line? ]:o)

My , doc, you can be devilish in the morning!
"Stay OUT of my FLOWERBED...or else!!"

Crozet, VA

What an interesting thread. I loved seeing everyone's handi-work. Good job all. Holly, I have been wanting to take a photo of the elelphant pot you gave me for ages and never seem to remember to do it. I have had an elephant ear in it but it has never done very well or grown very large. Might need a tast of some fertilizer or something. I truly love the pot and think of you each time I look at it.

I am going to have to try mixing some things together in pots sometime. They look so nice in a grouping.

Holly, how do you make the living wreath? That is quite impressive. Where did you find the mini Hosta? Full of questions, aren't I? hahaha

Ruby

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ruby I have two of them one with the hosta and one with sedums/semps. I bought wreath frames that they sell to make the living wreaths I think the frames are a bit pricey but I really like them so much. The one frame came with a compressed sphagnum moss liner I like that one best. The other one came with a green fiber liner and then I stuffed loose sphagnum moss between the frame and the liner. You want to work with small plants or just cuttings. You line the frame with your liner then fill with potting soil and put the back on the frame. (they come in two pieces) Then turn it over and punch hole tru the liner to place your plants or cuttings.
Some of those mini hosta came from a DG co-op last year and some came from a local nursery. You have to watch the size of the mini hosta you use some of the minis are bigger than you really want for a wreath.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The Hosta Wreath was the one with the fiber liner and you can see the loose sphagnum moss tucked in under the plants.
Here is the other wreath. It hasn't fully filled in yet I have a lot of space to plant more sedum/semps as I get different types. You can really see the wreath frame in this pic.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

I am the pincher, feeder and water boy to six similar to this planter. May be found dressing up the Club 135 in downtown Williamsport, Pa. Someone put water crystals in the medium. The pot liner is coir. Watering every other day for my owner buddy. Customers provided the plant materials. I helped work in a few herbs in each planter.

Thumbnail by docgipe

Here is the rest of the story.....outside dining area between downtown buildings. Sorry there were no customers there early AM when I could get the sun effect on the building. I will let CS4 move in some customers if I ever use this picture anywhere else.

The iron walkway connects one of the parking garages to the main dining room on the second floor. This to me is really a neat place. The food quality is gourmet. The six planters are shown in this picture.

Thumbnail by docgipe
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

They look great Doc, really dresses up the patio. Beautiful.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

All that greenery adds a wonderful touch! I love the various textures... no need for bright flowers. The trees add some vertical green to the scene. Very soothing!

Very nice doc! Many times I see pitiful plants in commercial places. Nicely cared for ones add a lot to the atmosphere.
Meant to say--my containers are losers so I won't be showing them LOL

This message was edited Jul 30, 2010 8:19 PM

I have to suggest that you go back to that planter post. Using a badminton racket as a form guide I wound up what you see. When it fills we will have a living flower arrangement in our planting designed to look like a sandwich. I shall have to do lot of pinching to hold it in place when it fills.

Maybe I did not get the creation to suggest the sandwich thought. LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I thought it was a butterfly... LOL... trying to envision it now with its sandwich filling...

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Hey Holly, can I have a leaf or two of that lovely succulent you got? Judy

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Send me a D mail Judy

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

This is a little black plastic pot with succulents in it. I think it's kinda cute.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

This is a special one for me. I got the hanging cage from Ross and put that little succulent (forgot the name but it's a well-known one) in it & it is flowering & putting on quite a show.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

This was so cool when the Auricula was blooming, but it's done blooming now. Will try to save seeds for next year.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I just love planting small plants in seashells. you gotta water all the time, but they are charming.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

More seashell pix

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

This was originally supposed to be a candle-holder, but I changed it.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.