TEA ROOM # 68

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. I thought I'd do some early spring cleaning and move us again. It is foggy here this morning and I am hoping to see some sun later when I get out to do some washing. The grass is growing and I nearly went toes up while walking around yesterday as it gets slippery when long and wet. Must be Roundup time again. I have a plectranthus around the side which has now turned black . Poor thing gets done by the cold every winter. It grows fast in the spring after a cut back though. I keep it because it does look lovely all summer with its blue flowers. My Brugs are looking the worse for wear now after thae cold snap too. They will come back in the spring. It will be a good way to see who can survive among them.
I thought we could try some new decor so have borrowed from the Russian Tearoom in NY . I love the glamour and glitter of the rooms. .
Its okay Brian, you can come in with your work boots, just wipe the mud off first. No reason why we shouldn't have our cuppa in some elegant surroundings. Better go and put out the moved sign.
We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1106973/
Jean.

This message was edited Jul 3, 2010 8:52 AM

This message was edited Jul 3, 2010 9:13 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Louise, in case I forget tomorrow, Happy 4th of July. ( also to any of our other US visitors )
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Brisbane, Australia

Hello everyone.
It's actually been bleak and cold here..by our standards, anyway. The sky is clearer at the moment and there is some sun but still cold. I can cope as long as there is some sun. Nothing much is growing but I have been doing the odd bit of replanting after the turkeys. I went to the Flower Markets at crack of dawn yesterday to make a bunch for one of my sisters...X0th birthday. They are all older than me. I found the last bunch of hot pink gerberas so went with hot pink, bright yellow and red gerberas, purple irises, purple statice and white lilies..and purple Singapore orchids..and the green strappiness of russelia and maidenhair fern gigantica from our garden..and some flowering yellow wattle from here. I wired the gerberas but hate "sticking" the heads so I looped them. Then I added some thin glow sticks on wire. So she got a massive colourful display and, from the extras, I still have a smaller one. Love colour! I have realised I will never be able to grow such amazing flowers..I love trees and chooks too much! But I have an enormous maidenhair fern that is fantastic with flowers.

Got to paint today..heliconias and chooks..been procrastinating by cleaning! You can have your cold air back, by the way, Colleen and Jean. It was down to 7.4C min last week..and there have been -C degrees just a bit further inland. Our houses are not designed for it. Try heating a barn or a tent with the wind whistling through! Our shower is open with just a shower curtain. I think our place is a true relic of the pioneering age. It was built in the 1880's. A renovator's dream... ciao all. Keep warm. Happy gardening

Brisbane, Australia

Morning all, it's turned into a clear but windy day here! It's the kind of weather I love. It actually rained overnight, so our tanks should be full. But I won't need to water for a week or so. My plants aren't used to too much water in the winter - maybe once a week. Some things tucked up under the palms may need a drink, but everything else is good.
Jean this is an impressive tea room, can I come in in my tracky daks & crocs?
Kat you sounds like a generous sister with flowers - that bunch would have been huge!
My bamboo root clump is finally gone, so I just gotta get hubby to shovel the dirt back in, then I can plant the area up again & then get my broms back around in the gaps. At least with the sunny weather its more pleasant to be outside. The past few days have been grey & cold & very uninviting to be outside.
Happy gardening. Leisa.

Merino, Australia

Leisa, it's only friends here so you can come in anything. Day wear that is, can't have floaty neglige thingys though. Not with all those mirrors. Turn the fellas right off their tea. wouldn't we ?
I thought we should be a bit upmarket for a while to make up for the bleariness of winter.
Kat, show some of your paintings. I like the fact you are being kind and planting things for the turkeys. Nice lady. Ha ha.
I am going back to my book and cuppa.
Jean.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi All, I have been lurking regularly, just not piping up much. Hasn't it been cold? Mind you, it IS winter!
I have been busy clearing out the flax from my garden beds over on the eastern boundary. It was grown from seed, looked very nice, then KAPOW! it got huge! I took a ute load to the tip yesterday, and filled the ute again today, and there are still 4 more large clumps to go. A pity I don't know anyone who wants them, as each clump breaks up into individual plants with roots! They need a bit of maintenance to stay looking good though, and I find the paper wasps like to hide out under the leaves in summer. ZAP! as you walk past! I won't miss them!
I had a thick border of mondo grass at one end of the bed, so as I go, I am digging it up and thinning it out, trying to make it stretch the whole way around the bed. I'm hoping it will go some way to keeping the mulch in if it ever floods here again. I don't want to waste my time, energy and money on metres of mulch if it all washes away.
This is before

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

and this is after, with the daylillies moved to the edge of the bed. The big Agaves will be coming out after flowering. I might keep one or two of the pups, but the rest will go to the tip unless I can find someone who wants them. Have you any idea how hard it is to give stuff away? No one wants it!

This message was edited Jul 3, 2010 4:05 PM

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

And here is the beginning of the thinning of the mondo grass. I have plenty in other areas about the place, so can continue the border if I run out here.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

And then this is my next task! Maybe next weekend. It takes a bit of back work, as per usual, so I'm not doing any more this week!
whats everyone else up to in the garden?
Any veges on the go?
I have cabbages beginning to heart, silverbeet getting to a good size, celery seedling almost ready to thin out, am picking funny shaped carrots, heaps of yummy lettuce, Paw paws ripening and some cauli and brocolli seedlings growing up (white butterfly will probably eat them if I don't keep up the 'Success') Sweet potatos, bananas slowly ripening, and ginger is ready for harvest.
Sue

This message was edited Jul 3, 2010 4:13 PM

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Barmera, Australia

G'Day
That place is too posh for me, I'll sit out on the door step then I won't have to worry about cake crumbs on the carpet.
Brian

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. No rain so far , so I may get out in the garden to look around and see whats popping up.
Now Brian, I thought you would appreciate a bit of upmarket style. You can have your cream on a pretty plate while admiring the decor.
Lucky I don't have to clean all the mirrors etc. Gives the Christmas elves something to keep them busy.
Sue, you have done well with your tidying. I wish those flax were down here. I have 2 small red ones in the shadehouse in pots and have been trying to cultivate a large variegated one in the garden. I saw the bits in the tip a few years ago with leaves over 6 foot long. I thought aha , just the thing to put down in the bare corner. It is still sitting there. the plant did grow but only to around 2 foot. After 4 years , I just leave it. May have something to do with lack of water in the dry weather as I don't water down there.
I love the size of yours. . Pack it all in an envelope and mail it down. Ha ha.
Hello Leisa, Marlene, Colleen, Teresa and Steve too if you are around out there. I do hope all is well with Chrissy. Hello Elaine
Hello Louise. I have everything packed on the carpet for our trip. Just have to pick up all the passengers. Where will we start ? Hmmmmmm. Anthony, you are furthest away, we'll grab you first ( along with cockie ) , then zip over to NZ for Teresa. After that I can just fly up the coast and get everyone along the way.
OOoooopps, nearly forgot, we have to veer over west for Colleen and Brian.
Looking forward to tours around your area Louise. I hope we see lots of wildlife.
I have my plastic bag in my pocket for collecting bits of your plants too. . See you soon.
Better leave out some goodies in case anyone comes in. Mixed Chocolate Cakes.
Happy gardening Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Thought I'd better leave the carpet out so you can add anything you want to take on our flight to Louise's forest.
I just hope it's the right time to see all the magical creatures in the forest that I am sure will come out to see the carpet arrive.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Brisbane, Australia

ohhh I'm just tired listening to what Sue's got going in her garden. You should get a spot on Australian Gardening, with the variety you have in your garden. How do you have the energy girl?
I think I might have to give the carpet ride a miss, unless we can keep pretty close to the ground? Heights make me woozy - but I've rock climbed & repelled with no problem when I was younger - go figure!
I made a banana cake this morning but didn't quite have enough banana, so added some sour cream. I'll put some out if it's any good. Happy Gardening
Leisa

barmera, Australia

I'm ready Jean. Got my camera and I see that you have the food so will just pack the tea and coffee and fine china. Don't worry about the heights Leisa this is a MAGIC carpet and you don't get whoozie flying on here.Louise are you ready for us again? You had better tell the little fluffballs about us so as they won't be startled when we come flying over. It was pretty cold here again this morning with frost and fog but is an absolutely lovely day now albeit still a bit nippy. The boys are outside blowing bubbles and playing with dinosaurs in the sunshine. Have a load of washing going and have potted up a couple of plants that were given to me a while back and I have rooted in water. I was given 6 potbound pots of orchids yesterday. Cynbidiums but I don't know what colours. Any hints on repotting? I have never owned orchids before. I thought that maybe the same mix as for broms is that right? Do I keep them in the SH? Not much room in there at the moment with all the broms and brugs and epis and other plants but I'm sure that I can find a bit of a corner for them. Well must go as the first load has finished. Be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
Merino, Australia

Colleen, you lucky thing , getting orchids given to you. Now you know mine hate me but I do know about growing them. Had so much info given and have large books from orchid growing son. Use a good open orchid mix, ( I use this for my broms as well ) Cymbids like to be outside but not in direct hot summer sun. They do need sun on them though to initiate flowers. All day sun is okay for most of the year. I water when dry and fertilise with whatever I am using around the garden. Leave them in pots until they look like they are choking, then divide into large sections to repot. Remove any of the dead looking old back bulbs. ( you could throw them to me. ha ha ) You can pot these for new plants to grow.
Now after all that, why don't mine flower ?? Your guess is as good as mine .
But......... I have a secret.......... two of mine have flower stems ( after 10 years )....... I have been watching them grow for months....... I will , of course, post large phoots of the flowers when they eventually open.
Leisa, that banana cake sounds great. Bring some along on the trip.

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

went to the ol' tea room,all boarded up and 4 circles in the dust,where the urn table was,then a sign,''if you dare,go to the next tea room''-here i am!.,,i really have got my spirit back,my mind,is nearly there.everything[really]seems to be going well.i filled a massive order of bulbs today,and im very happy that local people are interested in my products,.,.i never thought this would happen.,.my 5 minutes of fame came in the late 80's,[car racing]so i dont envisage any ground breaking greatness to come from here.i just hope people are pleased with what i have to offer,...anyway,lets all of us concentrate on what we know best''growing plants'',and enjoy every minute of it'''cmon summer'',anthony

Christchurch, New Zealand

we had a good frost this morning, led to a stunning day.
Warm sunshine, no wind, made for a very enjoyable morning at dog club.
then we spent a couple of hours catching up with my Uncle who manages a hotel in Bhutan...
we have chatted on Facebook but not seen each other since I was a child - more years ago than I care to figure out :)
Later I did a roast chook for dinner - rubbed it with sweet soy sauce & put it in a oven bag, did the vegies in a bag with a little oil & lemon pepper.
Turned out pretty well if i say so myself :)
hubby & I had it all to ourselves so lots of leftover chook for sammies.
Out in the garden it is still quite wet, some of my new cyclamen are looking very sad now but the rest look good.
Not sure if the droopy ones have had a touch of frost or if they were infected with the fungus that afflicted some of the orphans.
It is possible that the corms were starting to rot with the overwatering they get at the Warehouse.
The hellebores are looking promising, flower buds coming up ... I am looking forward to seeing what colours I have.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

hellebore

Thumbnail by dalfyre

and another hellebore

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Clifton Springs, Australia

Good morning all...
I'm early Jean...so I will put the kettle on..your roses are on their way today.
I bags a spot on the edge of the carpet...sort of a window seat.
Lovely Hellebores Teresa...it's always exciting finding out what colours you have.......hope your Cyclamens are ok.
Colleen..just on your orchids..we live near Pioneer Orchid farm and they grow thousands of Cymbids.
Here is their website..http://www.pioneerorchidfarm.com.au/..they are very helpful.
A friend of mine has them sitting in the one spot in full sun all year....he supplies all the local clubs with Cymbid flowers every year...
I could only ever get the odd one to flower so I gave them away.
Glad to hear that you are on the up and up Anthony....good that you are making some cash from your bulbs.
Leisa can we have your cake for morning tea?
Happy day everyone.
Dianne

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. A fine day yesterday but with all the wet leaves and grass, one can't really do much.
Anthony, glad you found us. Are you ready for the trip to visit Louise ? I have the carpet ready with picnic basket. Colleen is bringing the china etc. I hope cockie enjoys the trip . He has to behave when we arrive or those little fluffballs of Louise's will eat him.
Hello Teresa, are you ready for out trip ? That chicken sounds yummy. You could bring one along . Be very nice with fresh bread.
I like to use oven bags with lots of spices. Great for using in the microwave too. I often do a chicken that way.
I like the look of your hellebore buds. Mine are out and very pretty. If your cyclamens are wet, put them in a dry place and hope for the best. If they are a good size, wait for dormancy then cut off any rotten pieces and try it again. I did that with a huge one I found at the tip . It grew well for several more years.
I hope everyone is ready and waiting for the carpet. Kat, you can't bring any turkeys, sorry. They are too messy and may fight with cockie.
Sue and Leisa, we'll pick you up after Colleen. I don't know if Brian is going to come with us but he may bring some wine if he does. Leisa, no falling off the carpet after a few either.
Dianne , I'll pick you up first as you are closest.
Elaine are you ready there ? Could you please bring some fresh rolls for lunch ?
Louise , we are coming . Have the barbecue ready.
Better go out and feed the maggies as I can hear them calling .
I had better leave nibbles here as there will be hungry visitors I'm sure . Some lovely Cherry Sponge
Happy day,
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Dianne, I just looked at that website. I am so envious of those beautiful plants. Find out what they feed them for me . I may have to fly down and steal them all.
Jean.

barmera, Australia

Morning everyone. Boy is it cold. Jack's out there again and my feet are like blocks of ice. Thanks Dianne for that site. Jean if you go into the site there's a place you can click for the care of the orchids. I think I will put mine under the Norfolk Island Pine. They'll get plenty of light a little morning sun and lots of shade from the afternoon sun. I don't think that I will break them up because they like to be crowded. I'll just clean them up and check the potting mix and fertilise and see what happens. I'm all ready for my trip Jean. Have the china packed carefully and the tea and coffee etc. Don't forget that we have a couple of people from WA calling into the tearoom. They might like to come too. Well, had better clean this place up first so I can come back to a tidy home. On second thoughts, maybe because it's all magic the housework will get done while I'm away. whoo hoo. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
western sydney nsw, Australia

Good morning to Every one ,
The bread rolls are ordered Just need take off time be nice if we can go to day seeing its the USA birthday if we leave about lunch time might be in time for the fire works .
Jean have you started any pots yet?
Been playing with 2 old chairs Iam going to use as stands in the yard finished them this morning .
Till later ------elaine

Thumbnail by sammut
Merino, Australia

Hello Elaine. I still haven't started any pots as it has been way too cold to be outside doing them. I will maybe move my bits into the greenhouse if I can find room. I am not bringing anything inside as there isn't the room. I am always telling hubby to keep his mess outside so I had better not bring mine in.
I can smell the fresh rolls already. Yum.
We can leave for the US anytime as with the magic we can always go back a day or two in time to catch the fireworks.
Colleen, Any of the WA friends can use the carpet to get over here to join us. I hope Louise is watching out for us.
No frost here but very cold. I am not going outside unless absolutely necessary. I have books to read and the heater on.
Jean.

Barmera, Australia

G'Day
I tried a new wine recently that I thought very nice. Dornfelder (Red) so I'll bring a few bottles for all to try but with this cold weather a good Port might be better and for those who don't partake we could warm it up in a dish and they could put theit feet in it.
Brian

barmera, Australia

That sounds like a good thing to do with the wine, better than drinking it [for me anyway] Colleen

Brisbane, Australia

Jean & Dianne thanks for the info on cymbidiums to Colleen. I've got one from my Mum & have been wondering about their care. As mine was pretty pot bound, I split it up. But 1 half died & the other is still hanging on. I heard they needed a bit more water than other orchids. Most of mine are lucky to get a drink once a week, so I moved them, but into more shade. So I might need to rethink that move & put it back into the sun especially now the winter sun it pretty mild.
Just ring the bell when you come past on the carpet, I've got some banana cake all ready to go! (I'm keen now I know the magic part will mean I'm not going to get dizzy!) The magic bit that would be good is if the house elves came in while we were away & cleaned up - wish!!

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Wow Sammut, you are truelly amazing with all those mosaics you achieve! You must stay up into the wee hours to finish them all. Well done, but do take it easy sometime eh?
So wheres this carpet going? What should I bring? the flowers?
Sue

barmera, Australia

Hi everyone. Just popped in to let you know that the frost must have been terrible here this morning as 2 of my brugs that are planted out have been hit. Sanguinea is safe in the SH so hoping that nothing in there cops it. Colleen

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

first orchid flower out yesterday!very beautiful sight,.,.i cant wait til theres a crop of them blooming up the back[dianne,i must be doing something right!].,.,i am lucky to have had a seedling of sargentiae[lilium]raise its arching body..i only got 4 seeds from Norway[from a very generous grower],.I kept 2 and gave 2 to another grower.This'pod' seed raising seems very efficient.daffodils have started blooming,crocus and colchicums ,popping up,also 1 very confused formosanum lily,growing vigorous foliage.Bulb counts on the drums of 3 bulbs planted 4 years ago,about 20 golf ball size and 40 pea size[not bad],but everything is so dry.,.cmon'a bit of rain'-anthony

Townsville, Australia

Good evening all its Monday YUUUUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKK. Yes it is me Shell, I hope everyone is well and in good health, it took me a while to get back here my new job is busy busy busy it is going to take me forever to catch up on what everyone is doing, but I will give it a go.
Due to the lateness of the hour just a short post for my first one back.

Have a wonderful week all
Shell

Thumbnail by shellbell61
Townsville, Australia

Hubby was taking photos of the Scaly Breasted Lorikeets in the yard and then he invaded their privacy when they got a little amorous, and kept taking photos, they turned out really well, even if a little undignified he he he!
Shell

barmera, Australia

Hi Shelley. Welcome back. We're getting ready to go on another magic carpet ride. Isn't it great no-one will know that you've taken time off at your new job so you can come too. We're going to visit Louise's forest. Colleen

I'll meet you guys at the tea room - my pet taniwha is going to give me a ride across the tasman :)
I'll have cold chicken for those fresh rolls & some baby lettuce leaves too.

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. Seems like we are all ready to go. I wonder if Louise is ready for us. I'll be glad to leave the frost behind. Its down to -3C at the moment and sinking lower as the sun rises. After the last savage cold snap, there isn't much to be damaged .
Shelly, great to see you back. You've had a name change. Great photo of the birds. We did miss your Friday cheers.
Sue, we are off to visit Louise in New Hampshire . She has a beautiful forest that we want to see plus the wildlife there. Louise , please make sure your bear is far away while we are there.
Brian , now that we have Shelly back, you may need to bring an extra bottle of wine. I'm with Colleen on what to do with the stuff. It must be good for the feet .
Leisa, don't overwater your orchids and give them plenty of sun ( except really hot summer sun) I'm looking forward to that banana cake too.
Anthony, are you ready for the carpet ? Sounds like your garden is going to be very colorful. I tried some of those Formosa lilies. I bought some seed on eBay and they grew really well. I gave some away and have about 6 around the garden. They grew this year to about 3 foot . I think they would need a few years to mature so I am hoping to see flowers one day.
Teresa, great to see you can come with us. Meet you on the Tea Room patio.
I had better go and put something out for those who are not coming as there are sure to be lurkers. Hopefully the elves will open the Tea Room and do the dishes.
Back to the heater for me until its time to leave.
Louise . where are you ? There is a carpet full of us coming. Expect us any time.
I hope you have a great itinerary lined up. I would like to see the forest of course, but also more of the countryside around you. There must be many historical places in your area too.
I have been watching great show on our TV here on the birth of the US along with a show on how all the states got their shapes. Fantastic show for the history of the states.
Get ready everyone, the carpet is warming up.
Happy gardening. Try some Cranberry UpsideDown Cake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Brisbane, Australia

I'm hoping to make it into the garden today for a short while this morning. I gotta go get a new license today as mine expired over the weekend. I hadn't noticed it, but hubby did, otherwise I could have been driving around for months with it expired. You can apply for a new license via the Qld Transport website - but only if your license hasn't actually yet expired! So I'm off to stand in line I guess.
it should be lovely outside, but like most mornings lately the sun is hiding behind the clouds! The birds are singing like crazy & once the sun comes out it should be nice!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Fear not, Jean, I"M HERE, I'M HERE!!! My son's dog (whom we are keeping for a week has been ill, so I've been managing our fur maniac children to keep them from aggravating the situation too much. Thanks for the cake for the Fourth! Ours was quite quiet given our canine care, but I did hear some fireworks off in the distance. We are in a horrid heat wave here....90's and extremely humid. We've had no rain for 2 weeks and I'm somewhat afraid to water much, so things are begging me for some relief. Of course we are ready and waiting for the carpet to set down....we'll stay out of my hot kitchen for our tea, but some time in our Adirondack chairs will be just fine when they are in the shade! No dangerous wildlife has popped in, and I've put signs about your arrival in the woods, so all the critters know to be on their best behavior!

Sue, my have you been busy!! I just loved looking at your pretty area with all that progress!! I just can't get enough of peeking into your world down there....it's really a lovely place! Pack a few photo albums on the carpet please!

Brian, I'll bring you some tea out onto the steps of the Russian Tea Room. I may join you for a bit there after I peer around at the luxury inside! Frankly, Jean's Tea Room and its delicious offerings is much more my style!!

Hello Shell!!!! So nice to hear from you. "Scaley breasted lorikeets"....oh my, those do sound interesting!! I hope I don't come down with a case of that!!

Hello to Colleen, Teresa, Leisa, Anthony (so glad to hear that you're coming back to yourself), Cocky, Elaine, Dianne, Kat!! I hope you are all just about packed. I'm baking up a storm all night for your visit since it's way too hot to turn the oven on during the day!

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

The two rascals and their ailing uncle checking out my Cuppatea area.......

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Hank just asked if you could all bring some water when you come!!

Some pretty blooms in my Friendship Garden...

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.