DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 77

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

The RSP is a 1st for me.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Congrats on RSP jmorth!!

Went out looking but didn't see much at all. Will try again later.

Good Luck with your Monarchs Mrs. Ed!

Bentonia, MS

thank you everyone.

great shots yall love all your pictures.

congrats for those with the eggs i can not wait.

sheila thank you for the ids. i know i need to be more patient. i have only been at this a week so it will take me a bit. but i think todays shots are much better. thank you always for yalls help and ids. hope you enjoy

Thumbnail by tlcgarden
Bentonia, MS

this is a closed wing shot of the one above

Thumbnail by tlcgarden
Bentonia, MS

butterfly number 2 closed wing shot

Thumbnail by tlcgarden
Bentonia, MS

butterfly number 2 open wing shot

Thumbnail by tlcgarden
Bentonia, MS

butterfly number 3 closed wing shot

Thumbnail by tlcgarden
Bentonia, MS

butterfly number 4 closed wing shot

Thumbnail by tlcgarden
Bentonia, MS

butterfly number 4 open wing shot. i call this one the money shot. she let me get into digital macro to get this one. wow i was so excited

Thumbnail by tlcgarden
Bentonia, MS

this is what i think the above 4 butterflies of mine are. i have been trying to learn them best i can. please let me know if i am right. i dont mind if you tell me i am wrong because i want to learn.

#1 - red spotted purple
#2 - red admiral
#3 - hackberry emperer
#4 - viceroy

please just let me know what you think. thank you

I think you nailed your ID's and your pics are getting better! Keep at it!

Bentonia, MS

thank you nanny i am so glad to have another passion. the daylilies are done until rebloom it think. thank you again.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Congrats on the hatching nanny!
Thanks for the id Dale...it takes a keen eye and knowledge like yours to separate some of those skippers!
So jealous of your RSPs jmorth and tlc!
You are right on tlc with the ids....and the shots were wonderful!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

How can you tell the difference between a Monarch and a Viceroy?? They look so similar.

Cindy, this is a great site to compare similar butterflies. http://www.naba.org/chapters/nabambc/common-comparisons.asp

I have trouble with the Black Swallowtail & the Spicebush myself!

There is lots pf great information & resources listed in the STICKEY at the top of the forum. So glad to see you over here!

A pic of one of my babies!!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

I think I may have more soon. Lots of BST action here!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hemlady... that is a great site to id from. There are small differences in two bfs, but the main one is the line across the lower wings of the Viceroy.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Nanny & Sheila_FW.

What a wonderful site!!!

This message was edited Jul 3, 2010 4:06 PM

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Hi, you butterfly lovers. I have a few, I'd like to share and hopefully be corrected if I'm wrong on the ID.
I think this is European Skipper.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

with the open wings.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Sadly, I found this pretty Red Admiral dead in my backyard.

Thumbnail by hemlady
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

I believe this might be a Red Admiral.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Sheila; I live in Canada near Maine, Your link is missing from your post. Could you send the link again please. ;) Thanks

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Don't know this one. It was taken by a lumber wood road.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

I think you can only post for US and Mexico on there.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

An Azure, but which one?

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Burn, lucky you to see all those. I kept telling myself if I'd be good I'll see some butterflies in my garden eventually. lol. Here is one. An I.D. challenger, Painted Lady vursus American Lady? I'm leanning toward Painted Lady.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Lily.... it isn't a painted lady...I believe it is a Pearl Crescent.

Sorry burn...took that for Nebraska. LOL!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oooh, that's to tell you how much I knew about I.D. my butterflies!!! Thank you, Sheila for your help. So I have a Pearl Crescent. And neither American nor Painted Lady. Awwww, a long, long way off.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Nice seat - from Quad City Botanical Garden in Rock Island, Il.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

LOL Lily, I feel unsure myself, with my own research. I needed to be reassured I got the right name for mine. Thanks for posting your Pearl Crescent., now I know what mine are.

Sheila , that's ok. I was just wondering exactly where the European Skipper was reported, if it was near here.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

The Fort Worth Botanic Garden has one of the bf benches, but it has been left with the bronze tone. Not sure but I think I would like the painted version best.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Cute chairs. Love the group of puddling pearl crescents, burn.

Hey you guys when I first started to post here ijust told them I don't know squat ...I'll post if you you all will help me ID them!! They have all been real nice to help me learn. I still am really new at this and still can't tell the difference between a BST and a Spicebush!!

Not sure which this is....

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Question Mark on the orange

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Comma on the echinacea!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Nan. I sure don't know which one is which on your post (one above the Question Mark). But I can sure tell the baby is tattered! I love our forum here. Sheila and countless other members have been supperb in helping other members, that I do know.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I have never had spicebush at the house, but it sure looks like it could be a possibility. Maybe Dale can tell us for sure.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

July 7th! This could be my lucky day! I saw a large orange butterfly in the garden, could be either a Monarch? (ton of MW available) or Gulf Frit.? So many passi are putting flowers too. Sooooo I'm soooooo ready! No pic. the thing was around long enough to peak my interest, then puff it was gone.

Oooooo.....I found be a big BST cat today!!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.