Can I pot a large bamboo in a bath tub?

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I found some bamboo that I like but found out it is invasive sometimes. I am wondering if I could 'pot' it in a clawfoot tub? I think that would look cool, and it wouldn't get away that way. But will it over winter that way? Also, what do I do once it gets 'rootbound' in the tub, how on earth would I divide that?

I don't have any bamboo or grasses, so I have no idea where to start with this.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

What zone are you in, Frilly? Bamboo is pretty hardy. If the clawfoot tub is well-draining, it should overwinter there just fine. It's a bugger to divide though.

In my opinion, Arundo Donax is much better. It's hardy in zone 7. I have the variegated version which is almost white in the spring. As summer turns up the heat, the foliage becomes gray green and then it looks identical to bamboo. But it's so much easier to divide. It is a prolific spreader, but it grows rhizomes, much like a canna. I've tried to dig up bamboo it is hard as a rock, like trying to dig thru a tree trunk. But the Arundo isn't like that at all. Here's a pic of my Arundo Donax Variegata. It gets 10 or so ft tall and then puts out these mauve plumes that are even taller in the fall.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Here's how it looks once summer sets in. Around late June, the foliage begins to convert to this green.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I have pictures of the plumes somewhere but can't find them now. The arundo does produce the canes, similar to bamboo canes. I use them to stake my tomatoes.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

Well I liked the bamboo I seen because of the fine leaves that reminded me of willow, which I don't have the space for here. I was afraid it would 'root bound' in the tub and be impossible to divide.
Maybe I should just try a large planter, something I could eventually tip up and dump out that way. Should I use potting soil or regular yard dirt? I am terrible at growing anything in a pot =(

Elberfeld, IN(Zone 6a)

A clawfoot bathtub with bamboo - I think that is a neat idea.

It would take some time for it to become root bound, you could probably slow the process by chopping the runners as they come up. I have some of the common bamboo in a large container - wish I'd thought of the clawfoot bath tub - and that is how I control it.
I am a cold Zone 6 and it does just fine.

I have arundo as well - both the green and the variegated - they are great, but does not have nearly as airy appearance.

Well draining soil, for sure - but plenty of water in the summer - at least until it has settled in. Often the original stems will die back and new ones will come up, so don't be alarmed if this happens.

good luck

New York, NY

Frilly, you need a clumping bamboo. If you use runners, it will just give you a headache. It wants to run and my experience in container gardening is that eventually it won't be happy with that little space. Clumping has more of an umbrella shape but you'll still get the lovely sound in the wind and you you can grow it up to 8' high. I have

Elberfeld, IN(Zone 6a)

Italent - you are correct - my livestock water container does retrain the growth somewhat, but that is better than having runners showing up everywhere.

Most of the clumping bamboos are not reliabily hardy in my area. Doggone it !!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Cool idea of the bamboo in the bathtub. I'd say go for it! I agree that you need a clumper and not a runner when it comes to keeping bamboo in a container at least halfway contained in the ground. I'm growing a hardy bamboo (clumping variety) here in TN and it has done well this summer. I'm delighted with that since the weather has been just about unbearable at times. I believe this one is hardy to around 0 ... or maybe 5 degrees. If I can remember the name, I'll let you know. :-0

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.