Summer cactus blooms

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Here's a beautiful barrel type cactus (I inherited it in my yard) and don't know it's name.
Edited to say: It's Ferocactus wislizeni per Xenomorf.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2010 3:10 PM

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

It gets wonderful bright yellow seed pods that last forever. This is last summer's picture of them.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Here is a grouping of small cacti in pots that bloomed together.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Echinopsis 'Flying Saucer' with a late season bloom

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Could your Ferocactus be F. herrerae?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/73262/

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

The Barrel Cactus is an Arizona Barrel - Ferocactus wislizeni
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/50811/

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, it is, Xeno! Thanks. It does great with a little shade from my Lysiloma tree.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

A Chamaelobivia (peanut cactus) that has bloomed all month

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh my your Flying Saucer is so cool! All flower! And oh what a flower! Xeno IDed one of these for me several months ago. I am in love with it.

I am so partial to orange blooms!

Thank God for Xeno! I love your Ferocactus wislizeni. What a perfectly grown plant! Here is a similar one, Ferocactus pottsii. I love the seedpods too!

Thumbnail by Kell
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

(edited out - sorry)

This message was edited Jun 27, 2010 7:34 AM

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks Kell. E. 'Flying Saucer' has blooms earlier in the spring that are actually more pink in color but now they are more orangy....so interesting!
Your F. pottsii is nice too. Are the flowers orange or yellow?

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

My rat tail is blooming. ( sorry, I have the name somewhere but I've misplaced it.)
Love your pictures Nancy, Kell
Gary

Thumbnail by smashedcactus
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Cool pictures Nancy!!! Love that bloom Gary. I hope mine decided to bloom too.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Here's a group picture. Echinopsis, 2 Gymnocalyciums and a Mamillaria.
Gary

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Just beautiful, Gary!

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Those flowers are really wonderful, Gary. What happens afterwards? Fruits? Seeds? Or does the whole operation just sort of fold and shut down afterwards?

I tried a fruit from my neighbor's bisnaga this evening. Yellow-orange, pretty tasty, quite sour. One of these Ferocacti. Black seeds inside.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

None of these have ever given any fruit or seed. I've had this Echinopsis for over 30 yrs and it has never given any fruit. It was unusual this time. Bumble bees were all over the flowers this time and they didn't even last 24 hrs. They've always lasted 1 1/2 to 2 days. The buds were on the plant for a long time and 2/3rds of them fell off.
Gary

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

a close-up of the Mamm.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Echinopsis 'Fuzzy Navel"

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Still one of my favorites. Parodia ottonis. So many petals. this one bloomed a while back.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

This has not bloomed since it got SMASHED a few years ago.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

This was the Echinopsis as it was opening at nite.

Decatur, GA

Beautiful flowers Gary. You have the right touch with them.
Helen

Just to chime in with the chorus, here... My Parodia schumanniana bloomed again today. I saw a furry bud on it this morning and thought, "hmmm, let me take this plant down to the balcony so I can check it out". And then two hours later the plant promptly opened two flowers all the way. Oh how sweet to be in tune with nature. The plant is 6" tall and 4.5" wide right now, for scale.

(The reddish bud at the rear will open today or tomorrow. I intend to see that one happen.)

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I love the way the petals are rounded baja! Here's a picture of my only blooming cactus now Gymnocalcium baldianum in an orangey pink

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Nancy that is beautiful!!!

Austin, TX

Nancy, that coral/peachy bloom against the grey/green cactus is really gorgeous.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Nancy, that is pretty. I wish I could get my Gymnocalcium baldianum to bloom. Here's G riojense.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Another Gymno blooming.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

These were blooming yseterday morning. Sorry for the picture. Was in a hurry to get to work. They were gone when I got home. Labeled Echinopsis dminos.
Gary

This message was edited Jul 9, 2010 7:35 PM

Austin, TX

smashed, I love the first one's blunt petal shape and lush center.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Thanks, slyguy. I bought it mainly for the plant. But boy!!!!! What a bonus.
Gary

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I love the whites in the summer, especially here where it is so hot. I feel cooler looking at yours, Gary! Wonderful!

Marie, any blooming for you now?

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I have had a couple blooming, most recently this one. I have missed getting pictures since it is so hot right now and they are usually closed by the time I get home from work!!

Thumbnail by Desertdenial5
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh, that's a pretty one. It looks like red and white. I remember those frustrating days when I could see a cactus ready to open and I'd go to work and, by the time I got home, it was all over. That's the trouble with some of the cacti. I always hoped they would wait until Sat. or Sun. to bloom.

If I had more patience, I'd snap a million pictures like this. The local bee population was decimated a year ago and it's actually rare now to see one in action. But this guy was really digging the situation.

The bee spent most of its time gettin' jiggy way inside the flower like this, totally hidden away.

Oh how I love pollinators.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Baja, what gorgeous pictures! I love the bee. What decimated them there? We didn't see many bees here last year, but this year they are back in full force. I've posted this picture before but will again because, if you look closely, you can see a little pollinator also.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ

Ha! It took me about 8 seconds to find that bee. I guess the bee flowers are open for a little while longer than some of these frustratingly short-blooming cacti, and in my book that makes them great.

I don't know what happened with the bees here. Maybe someone harvested the honey and killed the hive. We have all sorts of activity like that here. People just sell the honey in the street (and it's really good).

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

The same thing happened to the bees in our area. They are making a come back but you mostly see bumble bees.
I thought some of my blooms were not opening at all. I got off work early yesterday and looked at a Gymno with a bud about 2:00. I thought " that will be open tomorrow." I went back out at 3:00 and it was fully open. By 4:00 it was closing up. I notice then that at 3:00 all my blooms were fully open. That stinks, because I don't get home from work till after 4:00.
Gary

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.