Will this branch out?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I need to give this begonia a hair cut. Will this branch out if I cut it off?

Thumbnail by birder17
Mount Vernon, OH

Is there any leaves on the Bottom of the plant?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

No, not on that stem. So, it sounds like it won't branch out?? If that's the case, do you think I should cut it at the base of the plant? It's a healthy plant and blooming. I just didn't know what to do with that particular branch. It's has been sorta of keeping me from trimming the rest of the plant.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Cut it and water root it or stick it back in the same pot. Cut it down to about 3 nodes, remove the leaves except the top two and push it in the soil to cover the bottom node (or two). You can also root the middle section (just remember the orientation if you remove all the leaves on this piece). You can also lay the middle section horizontally on top of some soil and the nodes should send up new shoots. Any new shoots (and old) can be trained to a stake in the future.

Good luck.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the info. Should I cut the stem clear to the base of the plant since there are no leaves or branches at the bottom of the plant or near the mother plant?? I would like for the stem to "branch" from where I cut it, but I am thinking it won't do that since there are not leaves near the mother plant. I did not know you could lay the stem on the soil surface and get growth. I have heard you could do this, but I didn't know which plants you could do that.

If there is a node close to the bottom then it will probably sprout anew. It will also produce new shoots from the roots.

Here is an example - extreme example. I dug these up from a huge pot after a few hard freezes in December. I finally cut the damaged soft rotted canes and new growth slowly came around.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Then you can move it out to get fresh air, some sun and fertilizer, heat, and humidity and then you will have a beautiful begonia..

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

OMGosh! That is a beautiful begonia!! Thank you for taking the time to show me the pictures. I certainly did not know how to prune that stem. Now, I feel more confident.
I have never taken my begonias outside. I have them right next to a huge north window. I have two angel wing begonias and one beef steak begonia. I really enjoy them. The angel wings bloom fairly well which is more than I can say for most of my houseplants.

They will perform better outdoors for you but that is your call.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

So pretty.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

If you cut it back even with the pot rim it will backbud & send out several new stems. It does look as though some consideration should be given to repotting and providing more/better light.

Al

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.