Just a few pics thread 2

Port Elizabeth, South Africa(Zone 10a)

Follow from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1107738/

This message was edited Jun 19, 2010 12:27 PM

Thumbnail by Little_things

Using Sanseviera as focal point...I like this!

Closer shot

2 Aloe thraskii...these must be close on 3m high.

Aloe arborescense used as a "wall" infront of a house...

Another group of fantastic aloe thraskii....2 - 3.5 m tall, I guess

Another garden on slope, with aloe arborescens, ferox and ciliaris (difficult to see)

This one has round pods of aloe ....

This is just beautiful!

A yellow arborescense

another group of A. ferox

Barmera, Australia

G'Day
Those photos are remarkable thank you for showing us what Aloes can do.
Brian

Decatur, GA

Those aloes are spectacular landscaping plants. The ocean views... wow! Little_things you live in a beautiful neighborhood.
Helen

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Absolutely beautiful pictures of aloes, homes, and of course the ocean! Here in Phoenix I have to keep my aloes in light shade because the sun burns them. It is amazing to me that they are in direct sun in South Africa.

Glad you like them, here is some more...

Aloe thraskii...my wife is 1.75m high

This house is loaded with aloe thraskii....

Getting late no more pics....but aloes make great pics anytime

Flower with interesting centre...

Austin, TX

Little_things, I look forward to your photo posts, they are wonderful. I would like to travel there just ot see all the plants. My car should have a bumper sticker the reads "I brake for plants", because I often stop to look at them, in the wild, in landscapes, and always in our travels.
I love the spare minimalist use of those stunning pots with the wall of sansevieras, The yard with the little rounds of planting, and your last pic in silhoutte was so calming.

Glad you like it....and I hope it is getting some creative thinking going...

Personally, I am blown away by the A. thraskii, they are just special, I will have to make spots in my new garden for at least 4-5.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

I agree, but you need at least 10-12. :)

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you for sharing!

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

May I make an assumption that this is probably an upper middle class (or higher) neighborhood? The houses look big and newer and they are on the ocean and also are well kept. Maybe this is an inappropriate question in which case just tell me and I will edit it out. Xuling

I depends on the owners...some have houses by the sea as holiday homes, so yeah, they do pretty well, others retire in this area and then there are the few that actually live, work and raise children from here. We are about 20-25 min from PE proper, most people in PE do not even know where we are, you know the City was called the 10 min city, meaning you can get anywhere in 10, so, living 25 min from everything did not work...hahahaha.

For us, well this is just about heaven. We are having to commute to town for work and other, but we LIVE right here, we see birds, plants and animals all around us. As for the pricing, properties vary ($185000 to $500000). The thing is that it is more a type of person who lives here, than a class...I do not know if you understand. Maybe using DG as e.g. Most people in this forum likes cacti & succulents, therefore nevermind where we come from we can communicate, same here, we love nature and the freedom of our area, and that outweighs the 25 min communte to town. Hope it makes sense. Rian

Sodwana Bay KZN, South Africa

Hi Rian,
Thanks for the pictures!
I agree, A. thraskii is also one of my favourites - just awesome!
They say it only grows well where it can see the sea....
We are, unfortunately, too far north for those.

Regards from the KZN north coast
Maddy

Maddy, yes, and you know whats more, you think wow, but when you stand next too them, you go WOOOOW! Those leaves are just thicker, longer than you imagine...

Unexpected find...this is Van Stade's Pass, beautifull winding roads with natural forest around, spectacular. Anyway we stopped, and saw some succulents on the rock DW is looking at.

The crassula fans will know immediately --- do you see the 2 species

Close-up (I am not sure which crassula yet), but this is a great find for me and great to see them in nature

Other, possibly C. ovata ??

This is a pic of the mountainside, it is all trees 7-10m high and the treestumps you can see is actually euphorbia's (river euphorbia), thats outgrowing the trees, amazing.

Finally a nice pic of a protea (unusually pink), we saw in the "veld"

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

I have never heard of a protea, how stunning.
And thanks for the info about where you live. It really is lovely. And that picture of the road, it could be where I live. The similarities are amazing. I really must get out my atlas now. Xuling

This message was edited Jun 20, 2010 3:52 PM

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks palmbob. faeden said i should put the picture of the Dyckia remotiflora stalk that I took showing the individual flower buds almost ready to open, a beautiful orange yellow color, into PlantFiles, but I have no clue what it is. PS How is your Dyckia doing? Blossomed yet? Xuling

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

it petered out

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

sorry to hear. but that is life in the jungle i guess. X

Thanks for the comments.

Xuling, protea is also pretty hardy, lives in fairly acidic soil, and there are a great number of species. Leucadendron, Fauria, Leucospermum, Mimetes, Paranomus, Serruria, Sorocephalus, Spatalla are other genia along with Protea you can look at. I think they make great companion plants to C&S in the garden.

The old and the new....

Big one - means advance and getting there quickly, neverending chasing of time.
Small one - means taking a little more time, enjoying the beauti of the environment, and taking a breather

Maybe we should take the old routes from time to time, just to release a bit of that modern toxic stress build-up.

The old roads usually go with the flow and rythm of the land and the new ones, blast right through everything.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.