100s of little trees in lawn

Saint Louis, MO

didn't get around to picking up acorns this year - big mistake. we have hundreds of little trees growing in our lawn. Any ideas on how to get rid of them besides picking each one? I've spent lots of time picking them out of our flower beds and am hoping there is an easier way.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I've got the same problem but here it is palm trees that are growing in my lawn. And growing in the cracks in the sidewalk. And in the flower beds. And a couple in the gutters that I didn't get totally cleaned out. And every other place where there is a trace of soil . . .

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Gardensox,

I just sprouted some palm seeds just to see how they would do... I love growing things out from seeds...

Jan

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Jan,

Just last night I was outside pulling up some more seedlings and I had the thought that I should just throw a bunch of these seeds into some potting soil and let them grow. Maybe I could give them away to people when they get bigger . . . I don't know . . . I guess that was just my way of trying to find a silver lining.

-Chad

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know if it's easier (depends on how much effort it's taking to pull them out), but you can also carefully apply Roundup to them. You have to be super careful though so that the Roundup doesn't get on your desirable plants, so that can make it just as time-consuming as pulling. Some people use paintbrushes, some use the "glove of death" (put on a pair of rubber gloves and over that some sort of other glove that will absorb liquid...apply the Roundup to the outer gloves, and go out and apply it that way)

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

In the lawn, wouldn't just keeping mowing them cause them to die out sooner or later?

Lake Jackson, TX

I think pollyk is right. We never pick up the acorns and after we mow a few times the seedlings just die out. I don't know what kind of lawn you have but it is a solution for St. Augustine grass.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Chad

yes pot them up and when you have a plant sale offer them for free when someone purchases a certain amount... you know us gardener will buy enough to get something free, even when the item is something that is so easy to come by....LOL

Jan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.