A great year for figs

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Flyboy---Many things "OLD" are fine...like wine...and so are you!

Ok!!! What does "eiste efprosdektoi" mean???? "prospecting something??

I am from Latvia. Emigrated to the USA in 1951. And--I am an old geezer as well..
I went to High School with 3 Greek girls and so I learned a few words.
Even some I cannot say here....:o].

Thanks for the encouragement for SOMEONE (NOT me!) to plant this Fig outside
and mulch it with leaves in a cage. I would have thought of that as well.

Remember--and if you cannot--read my post above.....This fig is going to be
passed on to someone in my neighbor's family to grow. NOT ME! Kapish?
But--I will print out your suggestions and give it to whomever gets this new Fig.
It will have to be mulched and covered and wrapped for many years to come.

Re your Fig setting out a new batch of figs---I think it has to do with the cols winter.
You are in FL--so--I do not know if you had a cols winter???

Here in the East--most people's figs, and Hydrangeas, and (Yes!) Rosemary
died to the ground. The Rosemary never grew back--but the Figs and the Hydrangeas did.
Sooooo--even plants can get befuddled...New growth? AHA! Must make fruit!

In the case of my Endless Summer Hydrangea--it is blooming on the new stems it grew.
"Summer" is long gone.....

We are getting 38*F tonight. Those that did not think ahead--will lose a bunch of plants.
I have hauled for days now to beat the1st frost. All my houseplants are inside--and, once more,
my LR and DR and everywhere else looks like a Jungle. Same thing--every year.

I took a zillion cuttings from all my different Coleus yesterday--I root these every year.
The only way i can have a variety if cultivars.

I also grow 3 different kinds of Epis, 2 beautiful Brugmansias a couple Pregnant Onions etc..
All plants not indigenous to our cold winters here.
Of course--they all get hauled inside to snooze the winter away in a semi-dormant state.

OK! I better stop! I am a Yakker! I keep going and going--like the Energizer Bunny.

Stay well! Gita

Here is my Endless Summer Hydrangea in bloom-at this time?

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Longboat Key, FL

No. It means. "You are welcome."

A few things I also left behind in Princeton for "winter kill and resurrection? were Montauk daisies and Nikko Blue hydrangeas and, of course, garlic. They all loved it. they all spread like wild.

Enjoy the winter -- I never really did. It was the squeaking under my boots when I walked on the ice. Uggghhh.

I am still picking carambola and sweet corn -- and am waiting for my new crop of tomatoes to start setting fruit and the new figs to ripen. So -- not so bad.

Be well

(o_O)

Longboat Key, FL

My Greek White is making like the "Horn of Plenty."

So far this year, seven days of at least 20 per day -- and still producing.

Can't keep up. Now I am drying them.

Happy Fourth -- and be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

The figs in Louisiana have been really late this year. They're just starting to become ripe in the last 2 weeks. Last year, I had ripe figs in May. I think because of all the rain we've had, with so many days being overcast with no sun, it delayed our figs for over a month. Now, they're coming in like gangbusters!
Jo-Ann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.