Tips on Bursera fagaroides?

I've got a couple young Bursera fagaroides, "copal" trees (1 yr. olds) that are starting to yellow a bit and have stopped growing at this point. I've read that they only really grow while it's hot out but I'm wondering if/what I should do as far as fertilization goes and whether I should expect the foilage to drop over winter? Any idea what low temps. this one can handle?

Also, I usually hibernate my cacti in a cool dark place for the winter, can this be done with most succulents or are they going to require light throughout the winter?

Valley Village, CA

Start holding up the water on the Bursera, just leave the plant out, not in the dark. Stop watering entirely when the leaves drop off, they are now dormant. But I wouldn't put it in the dark. When they leaf out in the Spring-summer, water and fertilize weekly when it is warm enough. They will love you for it. They can handle temps, down in the low 30tys. Norma

Valley Village, CA

By the way, I'll trim my Bursea just before I expect them to leaf out. Mine are at least 18" tall at this point, but not well branched. I will try to force branching early next spring by cutting off the tops. The cuttings will be put in a small container and I hope they will root. Some of mine did root this past year. Norma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.