Interested In A RU July 31st?

Dahlonega, GA

Mqiq, I'm so glad you'll be there , I'll bring your black pine .(Hope it isn't getting too big ). See you there .

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Pam, don't forget to wear your pearls. I have one that never comes off.

Mike, so glad we are finally getting to meet since the sweet shrub way back when. I do have a few double and single hollyhock seed to spare, but not a specific color. Cool lily. Our daughter was in Oahu and visited Pearl Harbor this past week. My dad was stationed in that area during the war. That is a strange name for a lily though. I'd be interested to know its history. I'll put your current plant "brings" in the thread about seeds and so forth. If you want to add more, just let me know or create a list there.
Laurel

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Digger, Will see you soon. This should give you a preview of what to expect.Barbara, Mike, and Mitzi. Mike

Thumbnail by mqiq77

Another case of a DG member having a child bride. Bring Barbara but leave Mitzi at home. She looks like a crouton for Pepper the Plott hound. lol

I borrowed some banquet tables from Suzmyers sister, Cheryl, yesterday. She is not a DG member, but will be attending, along with Suzmyers. Cheryl and I were long time friends before I met Suzmyers here at DG. A good story for those who attend. Anyway, we can use the tables to put our shares on. In other news, I made a giardeniera, or Italian pickle, using some veggies from the garden and cut the last of the red cabbage today to make sweet and sour red cabbage for our gathering. Now pray for good weather.
Laurel

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

yummm Laurel!

Maybe send hub and the kids on vacation and you come to the RU, Nicole?

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Yum, yum..
Mike, so glad you are coming and Barbara too. Looking forward to seeing you.

We are going to NYC. Also, getting together with families. Sorry to miss. :(

Well what could be bad about NY? Don't say it, my family is from there. lol Have a wonderful time. I bet the kids will especially enjoy it.

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

I'm getting hungry just reading...I'm not much into bringing things... bachelor for 25 years. Hey folks, I don't drink but how about I pick up few six packs of some good imported beer? Any takers?

Nice to see a few pics of who will be there. Any other pictures about so I have a vague idea who is who? Will we be doing name tags? I'm horrible on names. I even got our host mixed up already. Pic of me in profile.

I have tags on my to do list, Ken. Once you meet a few of us we will forever be imprinted in your memory like it or not. DGers are just that unique! Really, the best thing about these get togethers is how we are just like we are on line yet so different from our everyday friends. The garden brings us together. I've posted this photo before, but here it is again. This is actually a projection of what I'll look like at sixty one (being that I'm currently twenty five).

In regards the beer...could you please tow a non-alcohol option as well? I do like premium imports and micro brews but most will find the time early to drink. Some of us think it's gotta be the right time somewhere on the planet for a sip though (that would be me). lol

The food will be amazing. I'm hearing from folks now. Some food will be eleventh hour creations and some will be posted in advance. Bring an appetite.
Laurel

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Hineni (Sunny), wrote last week to say she had an unexpected opportunity to visit her daughter and baby grandson during our RU dates. She regrettably will not be with us. On the positive front, DG friend Hawkarika (Jim) and DW, from FL, will be vacationing in Franklin, NC and are hoping to join us. Jim and I met in the Orchid forum when I first became a DG subscriber and get together to shop the orchid greenhouses in central FL several times a year. Hope they can make it. I'll edit the list.

Danita makes a FABULOUS cheesecake. Don't forget to Dmail her because she is no longer a member.

Dahlonega, GA

Eufaula will be there . Finally talked her into taking a break from all the work . She's sure looking forward to meeting and seeing everyone .

Oh right, Nicole, that cheesecake she made for Becky's RU was amazing! Haven't heard from her this week. Need to drop her a line.

Thanks for letting me know Sally. I'll give her a line of her own. She is a DG member, though not a subscriber.
Laurel

yes, that is what I meant.

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi All,

I renewed for two months so I could keep up with the trade info. :)

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the cheesecake last time. :)
I'll see if I can manage a cheesecake again, but regardless I will bring a dessert of some sort.

I look forward to seeing everyone!
Danita

No pressure, Danita but how do you plan on topping that cheesecake? Did I hear red velvet? lol We are so glad you have renewed and are able to come. It was wearing me out keeping you abreast.

Mike writes that he is bringing a something or two but doesn't know what yet. He is also bringing friend, Jay from PA.. So we have one more for our gathering. For those who are food planning we are at fourteen.
Laurel

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh dear. Make that 13 (unless you weren't counting maybes). I am going to have to cancel. I promised some friends the use of me and my van for a move and they're moving Saturday. I REALLY wanted to meet all of you, especially that wonder woman, Digger. :-) I know you will all have a wonderful time. Maybe I can make the next one (by then maybe I'll have something to share).

Hi Judy. We are sorry you won't be able to make it. Digger is every bit as wondrous as her on line persona! I didn't count the "maybes" on the list, so we still have fourteen. You are a nice friend to help with the thankless job of moving.
Laurel

Dahlonega, GA

( In exasperation ) , Juuudyyy .Then send us a picture so we can see who we missed .I really wanted to meet you , NUTS .
Laurel , what did I do to get all these raves ? I yant dun nuttin .

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Digger, I think your story (thread) of traveling back to Georgia, moving in your new place, dealing with all the repairs ... Lordy, woman! I was so tired after reading it I had to go take a nap! You are truly Wonder Woman in my book!

You guys are all such experienced gardeners and I was really looking forward to meeting those I didn't meet at Chris's and re-acquainting with those I did meet. Also was looking forward to a tour of Maypop and digging up all those wonderful plants. I am a beginner at all this stuff. Just planted my first "real" gardens this year (one sun, one shade) and am still working on filling them out, choosing plants, finding little doo-dads to put here and there, etc. (I like cottage gardens). It got too hot on me and I had to stop for a while. So now I do a lot of "creative staring" at the garden areas, trying to plan and design in my head. At least I'm doing SOMETHING.

These people I'm helping are church friends who have helped me out in the past. I would not even think of turning them down.

Digger, here I am ... such as it is ...

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Dahlonega, GA

Great picture . Judy , we go to Tex every year . My only child lives there . I had a house in Ar when I married and sold it last year . Bought a trailer and put it on some lots right across the street from his weekend place , so staying in Ga isn't an option . Also , D H always wanted to live on the coast in Fl . but when we married , he had to wait three yrs to retire ,so we had too much tied up to just get up and sell out . He has three kids here so the best way to satisfy both of us is 6 mos . here , 6 mos there .
I would love to have you live closer , Laurel has so much to do , she can't get away to go eat Chinese buffet and Cedar lives close by , but we just haven't gotten together yet , but I bet we could tear up Gainsville and put the restaurants out of business . I get together a coupla times a month with my stepsons wife and we eat out and find someone to talk about . lol. I have a best friend , Eufahla , but she works and lives down at Eatonton. I can never spell her name so I just call her Oofie . Back to On topic . OOps , sorry

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Digger,
I think I mentioned before that I went to North Georgia, so I lived in your fair town for four years. It was very different back in the 1950s but I still hold fond memories. Will look forward to meeting you at a future roundup ... and everybody else too ... dang, I just hate that I can 't come!

Dahlonega, GA

Time to take a weekend . I'll leave the porch light on for you .

I've heard from DG Orchid forum friend, Hawkarica (Jim). He and wife, Patty are planning on driving down from their vacation cabin in Franklin N.C. for our RU. Also, Cheryl called and asked to invite friend and landscaper, Tim. We will miss Chris and Judy. In the meantime, the list is now at eighteen and I'll update at the top.

This is a reminder that if you have a camp chair please bring it along. Also, you might want a hat. It's supposed to be pretty hot that day. Though you're welcome to come early (at 10 a.m.), people will be arriving throughout the earlier part of the day. If you have arranged shares with friends, go ahead but I'm asking that you hold off on swapping 'open to anyone' seeds, cuttings and plant donations until closer to lunch when most have arrived. That way the people who have to come late won't lose out.

If people are still fence sitting about coming, please feel free to join us. I would like to know quickly though for food planning. Our biggest concern is parking. I might need someone to help with the logistics because Steve will be busy helping me. Oh, and does anyone have a spare bunch of name tags languishing in a drawer (about twenty)? I think that's one more errand on my list. Oh, and BTW, I meant to paint the house inside and out and redecorate last weekend but didn't get around to it. Think I'm going to enjoy one of Ken's cool ones by Saturday.
Laurel

This message was edited Jul 27, 2010 2:29 PM

Turnerville, GA(Zone 7a)

Laurel,
How about sticky labels for name tags...I have a few address labels lying around that would work...unless someone else has the "real thing".

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Well based on the comments, I better bring that cheesecake!
Looks like I'll be bringing my Mom too...but she's not on the menu! ;)

Sue, that would be terrific. Do you have around twenty? I sent Steve to scour his office for labels but he is out. Thanks. We'll go nameless until you get there. If anyone else comes they'll have to wear a cardboard sign around their neck. I've got yarn, cardboard and markers.lol

Okay, that means we're up to nineteen unless we eat your mom Danita. I'll add her when I've got a minute. I've been "putting up" garden produce for much of the day and RU organizing the rest. We are on our way to Maypop tomorrow to get ready. See you all there! I will be able to "talk" to you there but will be extra busy.

Danita, I know this is in the wrong thread but I've not got the time to look up your trades. If you could just save a couple of low maintenance perennials for my border that would be fantastic. Pam has given me a couple of lilies that we could divide.
Laurel

Turnerville, GA(Zone 7a)

Laurel,
I have lots of file folder labels that I can bring...they aren't huge, but will do the job. I'll bring them along....We should be there a little after 11 AM.
Sue

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

I am sorry Laurel and all, but something has come up and I will not be able to attend on Sat.
A real bummer since this one is so relatively close to me!

If a miracle occurs, I will breeze over.
:(

p.s.Laurel, I did not have any 2 gallon pots, rigid or otherwise. Sorry. Will keep you in mind if any come my way.

We'll pray, Pam. So sorry something came up. Thanks for the pot check though.
Laurel

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Laurel, I"m sorry -- I mischaracterized the nature of my problem with the word "miracle." It is, thankfully, not a problem requiring a real miracle. I just meant that lots of things would have to change to open up my day.

Thanks for your concern. And once again, I apologize for the unintended phrasing.

P

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Do you need two gal. pots, Laurel? I'm sure I can spare some plastic ones. Mike

Pam, It was meant tongue in cheek 'cause I was hoping something would come up and you would breeze on over. :)

Mike, I'm looking for 2 gal. semi-rigid pots like the better nursery ones that azaleas or other shrubs are raised in. Cymbidiums like to be pot bound and break the ones with the thin walls. If you have a couple, that would be great. I've got your creeping Jenny and the Hollyhock seed.

I've taken three cuttings of purple leaved sweet potato vine (which is really a tuberous morning glory called Ipomoea batatas 'Blackie'). I overwinter it in a sunny window by growing in half water and half potting soil. The cuttings can be further cut if more than three are interested because they are long.

Back to getting ready.
L

This message was edited Jul 30, 2010 8:55 AM

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Will bring some perennials for you Laurel. :)

Yikes, thank goodness Sue found some name labels. I don't want to wear a cardboard sign around my neck again. When I was in high school and made the varsity cheerleading team, they made me and the other new girls wear stupid cloths to school one day and put cardboard signs around our necks that said "Will cheer on command." That day if anyone asked (outside of class) we had to drop whatever we were doing, and perform a cheer for them. So pleeeeeese, NO cardboard signs!

I'm sorry some of you won't be able to make it to the trade but I look forward to visiting with everyone that can! :)

Danita

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Dang! I wish I could join you guys for the fun and companionship - I know it will be a blast.

Brenda

Well if you can, please do come Brenda. We always have room for more nutz around here! You're not far at all.

Danita, not to worry about the cardboard signs. Steve found some old fence boards and rope. We've even got spray paint. lol
Laurel

This message was edited Jul 30, 2010 9:12 AM

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

lmao.... Brenda, come on over. Love to see you.

Elaine

Steve hung out the hammock and made a few signs to guide you in. One says "Mash The Gas" to let you know not to dawdle on the hill up to the house or you might slip a bit on the gravel. I have added several more side dishes to the original menu and have five sandwich combinations. The cake is frosted, but I've not gone looking for blueberries. We are ready. C'mon over.
Laurel

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.