Interested In A RU July 31st?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

There's been interest expressed in holding another RU. I've agreed to host here at Maypop, in N. GA., the last Saturday of July. That is Cleveland, GA., seventy five miles north of Atlanta.This will most likely be a mini-RU because the heat will dictate more seed swapping than plant swapping. If you are interested and think you can come please post here. If it's only a couple of nearby folks we can skip the RU thing and still get together.
Laurel

Dahlonega, GA

Put my name down and I'll help if you want me to
digger9083 (sally)

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

I should be able to come Laurel.

Dahlonega, GA

This message was edited Jun 18, 2010 8:31 AM

THIS SPACE RESERVED FOR GUEST LIST AND OTHER TIMELY INFO...

1. Digger9083 (Sally) and DH, Johnny
2. Cedar (Pam)
3. kdfisher (Ken)
4. Danita (Danita) and Mom
5. Jim (Hawkarika) and DW, Patty
6. mqiq77 (Mike) and DW, Barbara and Mike's friend Jay
7. EFGeorgia1 (Elaine) and DH
8. Suzmyers (Sue) and sister Cheryl
9. Tim
10. Eufaula
11. MaypopLaurel (Laurel) and very DH, Steve
12. Beclu (Becky), hopefully

This message was edited Jul 27, 2010 2:29 PM

This message was edited Jul 28, 2010 11:56 AM

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

OK. I'm in.

Great, Niclole! Looking forward to seeing you.

I'll update the list every now and then to avoid a lot of edits. Not being very computer saavy, I don't know if there's a best way to do this. Suggestions always welcome.
Laurel

I know you are restricted to x amount of edits a day.... or it used to be that way, so I would just do it once a day or once every few days. Doesn't hurt.

Edit memos take up lots of line space. I'll update a few times a week, then more frequently as we get closer. Since Chris did that big, fabulous RU in Spring, I'm thinking this one will be small. At some point I'll make a fresh post to include the "wants" and "haves" for trade. It will be pot luck for those who like to cook and store brought for those who don't. Since I cater, I'm happy to cook "a mess" of food and the garden will share it's bounty.

If anyone would like motel, cottage rental, or camping info. I will add that as well as things to do in the area. DH has the scoop on trout fishing spots. If you need info or have questions to mull over now just DM me. I'm off to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens for an orchid society meeting shortly.
Laurel

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

When you edit - just delete the previous edits - then it only shows the last one! Then backspace or delete the extra space.

Brilliant, Azalea!!! Let me try it out. Hope you can come.

Turnerville, GA(Zone 7a)

I'm hoping to make it...

We were hoping to be able to make it, but have had to make a change in plans! Sorry all. Will miss you!!!

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Laurel,
I am keeping it on my calendar and hope to come. I will know for sure in about a week. I will watch for details.

chris

Yay, Suz!! And Chris, I really hope you can come! Ooh, that's too bad Glynis. Steve and I were looking forward to seeing you again. We'll just have to make other arrangements.

I'm on the road back to Atlanta and have internet access for the first time in over a week. I'll need a few days to get my act together and will then post further details. Thanks all.
Laurel

We are off to Maypop tomorrow and hoping for more calm. Several things come to mind that I'd like to throw out. Please let me know what you're thinking or would like to add...

Firstly, if you'd like to start a trade or share thread with your name attached, please go ahead. If you're coming for the food and friendship and don't want to make a commitment, that's fine too. I thought we would not have much to share at this time, however several are talking propagated plants and cuttings. I will have seed, cuttings and a few potted plants. There will be an opportunity to dig and cut on site.

If you would like to bring a friend or SO, or think you might, please let me know now. I don't need specifics, but like to plan on extras if you're thinking that's a possibility. They are very welcomed. Thanks in advance for this consideration.

Because we garden to eat, and we are gathering at the hottest time of year, I'm planning a cold foods menu. There will be an array of sandwiches, pick up foods and some sides for both meat and veggie eaters. I'll make a mint and spice tea from the garden. If you like to make deserts, want to bring beverages or paper goods such as cups, plates and napkins (no plastic but paper please as we are "green" at Maypop), or would like to add to the cold foods menu, let me know. I wash and recycle plastic cutlery so we are covered there. If you have special dietary needs DM me. I'm a caterer as well as a nurse and will do my best to accommodate. Don't be shy.

If you need info regarding places to stay, LMK as soon as possible. I've got some info, but will need to update my references. If you are looking for optional activities in the area LMK as well. There's so much to do from visiting the many water falls to the North Georgia Pottery Museum.

Any questions? Just DM.
Thanks,
Laurel

Dahlonega, GA

Better make mine sally and johnny . Hopefully Eufaula can join us .

Thanks, Sally. I already knew Sally and Johnny came as a pair. Lordy, forever draggn' that man around! lol Hopefully Eufaula will be square and there. Look forward to meeting.

Post your list if you're thinking of bringing plants because you are probably rockin' in the propagation dept.. Okay?
Laurel

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

I'll have to come for your round up. If anyone has some woodland stuff I could use it. Sorry I don't have much to share because I'm such a newbie to this.

Trying to come up with ideas for this location. I've already picked up about a half dozen hostas for the spot.

Ken

Thumbnail by kdfisher

We are looking forward to meeting you, Ken. You can wonder around our woods and maybe find something for your woods. BYOT (bring your own trowel).

I've learned not to put much energy into beautifying our woods. I used to order plants to naturalize every Spring, but then spent too many hours battling back the wilderness. I have some things like sweet shrub, wild mini iris relatives, and Chrysogonum that might interest you.

OK. My DH has just informed me that we would not return from vacation in time for me to attend the RU. Sad that I will have to miss. :( This is the 2nd RU I've missed this year.

You'll certainly be missed, Nicole. Hope you have a great vacation.
Laurel

Thanks Laurel. I will post some of the seeds I have when you start a trade thread and if anyone wanted them, I will mail them to you and you can give them out. I have lots of cool seeds this year.

Ellijay, GA(Zone 7a)

"Chrysogonum"

Hey that's an idea. I actually have lot's of that growing in sunnier areas. Would it be okay to transplant this time of the year. It stays fairly cool in that area even during hot days. The creek nearby helps.

"sweet shrub"

and I've seen a few of those growing

"but then spent too many hours battling back the wilderness"

Yes, I've been thinking about that aspect. I wonder what kind of monsters (jobs) I may be creating. But at the present time I'm able and fit with plenty of free time (work at home internet). Plus I need to keep busy as I'm trying to quit smoking. Should be an interesting visit (RU) ...a first:)

Dahlonega, GA

Ken , just visiting Maypop ,the retreat , and the lady is a treat in it's self . She and D H are so creative .
I've not rooted any plants this year , but can start some cuttings for others . (got some viburnum , scented )

Oh Sally, you make me blush.

Ken, congrats on trying to quit. If you keep trying long enough you will. Don't give up! We are both happy quiters.

Cedar knows more about transplanting than I. Maybe she will see your post or DM her. I was watering under our shady overhang this morning and thinking of you. I've got bronze Ajuga and Sweet Woodruff growing with Hellebores and ferns. Both should naturalize nicely in your setting. You're welcome to some.

Regarding battling back wilderness; we've found ourselves absent from Maypop for weeks and once for years. It takes very little time for nature to re-landscape your work without consideration as to your time or investment.
Laurel

This message was edited Jul 6, 2010 8:16 PM

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

I've been lurking here for a while, so wanting to come to this. I went to the one at Chris's in Peachtree City and really enjoyed meeting those who came despite the downpours. I'm a bright green newbie and still don't have anything to share but I would love to meet more of you. Meeting the group at Chris's was wonderful, although I don't remember all the names ... I do remember Tulip Lady because we sat next to each other during lunch and talked about her daughter's prom dress. :-)

I just don't know if I can make the long drive. I'm in Newnan. I have some health issues and tire easily. Thought about possibly staying overnight or driving back as far as Lula where I have a relative. But haven't really firmed things up in my mind yet. Can you put me as a maybe?

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Judy, if I end up going, you are welcome to hitch a ride with me. I should know for sure soon.

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh, Chris. Thank you! That would be a life saver! Will gladly buy your gas!!

Judy, I will add you as a maybe and thanks Chris for volunteering to share the ride if you are able. Lula is very close to us and easy to get to. That's where Cedar lives. I got some motel info today so check the Q&A thread shortly.

For those of you who know Danita, and those who don't, she is not a subscriber at this time. I've cut and pasted info about the RU and DM'd her. She has been making cuttings and has lots of fun plants and seeds. She is interested in knowing what will come up for trades. Please DM her for her trade list and to share yours. She's a lovely person. Thanks.
Laurel

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Laurel. I will sure try to make it. I think I met someone from Lula when I was at Chris's. Maybe it was Cedar. There were so many I just can't remember them all. I do remember Charlene who has the mule, Charley. :-) And a guy named Mike and a couple from Jonesboro. I didn't come to swap or share because I had nothing to share, but they gave me several plants that were left over which I treasure. Amazingly, everything is still living! I've planted (permanently) everything except the bee balm and the salvia. Still working on garden areas. Had a landscape company come in to dig and amend several beds. I'm trying to do the planting, mulching and edging myself. I'm a little slow but it's getting there. Grass has grown back in some but at least the ground is soft and it's easy to pull.

Sure looking forward to seeing these folks again.

Danita is a fabulous gardener and full of knowledge on plants and such. I met Danita through an RU. It's a really nice way to connect with gardening friends you've been chatting with all along.

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Nicole, sorry you won't be there. Would love to meet you. (Nicole sent me a bunch of hollyhock seeds. So kind. :-) Sure will be glad when I have something to give back!!

just enjoy Judy. I am passing it forward because I've had so many generous gardening friends here,.

I'll have an odd seed offer for guests. I recently obtained fifty seed packets from the former supplier to Smith and Hawken. They are no longer in business in Georgia, if at all, but offered very unique and very pricey garden products. Vegetables and flowers, organic and heirloom...some very interesting stuff. The seed is a couple of year's old, but should still be viable. They were brought to an Atlanta Orchid Society meeting and tabled as freebies. No one picked them up. At the end of the evening I located the donor and asked what the plans were for the seed. He gifted me all the remaining packets.
Laurel

I love Smith & Hawken. I used to get their catalogs all the time. I remembered their store in midtown, close to Piedmont Hospital. They have stuff at Target now.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Sounds like fun, Laurel. We will feel so like "ladies (and gents) who garden." :)

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Love Smith & Hawkins too. And our Target has a small aisle with items.

A heads up and reminder to check this thread as well as the Q&A thread and the Seeds, Plants and Items thread for info and updates regarding our RU. I'm updating these threads under my main post. Re-read to be up to date with information. Cedar alerted me to the fact that she was not, and perhaps others might not be, aware of the two added threads. Edits do not show up as new posts on the thread.
Laurel

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I sure am looking foward to meet new Gardeners, and see others, that I am well aquanted with.I will be bringing a sorted pick of different things, that I have over propagated.I have coleus, and some prennieals, can't remember, without being out in the prop. area.If anyone wants anything, in particular, LMK, good chance I might have it.
I could use some (black) hollyhoch seeds, as well as the (Barnyard) varities.
Looking foward to meeting you Laural, and Steve, as well as old friends. I inserted this pic, because I grew these from seed, and from the same pod.It was my first attempt at germinating, and gathering seed, and I remember one parent was "Pearl harbor". Just thaught it strange. Mike

Thumbnail by mqiq77

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.