What's Happening in your neck of the woods?

Victoria Harbour, ON

We came from here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1097832/

What do you have planned for the day, bet you are hoping 'gardening' is one of them..isn't it lovely to see all your pretties?

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Just to let you know I'm still lurking, if not posting much.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The sun was shining this morning so I took Fancy out into the yard, I was waiting for the vet to call to arrange for him to come over and help her on her way.She had gone to lie under the Spruce tree.
A few minutes later she looked odd and I picked her up to hold her for a while, then put her down on the grass and she died.

RIP. Ch Annie Oakley, CD,RN, CGN, SAGC, SSGDC
Champion veggie digger!

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Shedding more than a few tears here for you Carol .. but am SO pleased she died where she did, and, most importantly, with someone she loved and trusted near her.

My deepest condolences

HUGS

~M~

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol
I am so sorry to hear that Fancy is gone. I am joining you and Marilynne with some tears for her and you.
She had been with you through so much and I know you will miss her.
Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

(((Hugs))) Carol, for you and Fancy both. Champion veggie digger in deed! She touched a lot of hearts.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Carol - I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. She will live forever in your heart, I know.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Laurie
Hi Welcome to the group! As you can see we share lots of things here.
I hope your garden and it's renewal will bring you strength, I have always found peace with the plants and gardening.
The others are right about doing it step by step with both your garden and your self.
I'm looking forward to hearing and perhaps (seeing with photo's ) how things are going!
Ann

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

Thanks to all for your kind words. Beautiful day today in NB - sunny and warm too bad I had to spend it indoors at work but they are saying nice for the weekend with only a chance of showers so hope to actually get some things done outside this weekend. Trying to decide which beds come first for my weeding frenzy. Hoping the wind will keep blowing to keep some of the blackflies and mosquitos away. HaHa - think they just adapt and learn to fly in the wind.
I know someone asked me where in Ontario I might be moving to well it won't be any time soon - see how I am doing in the fall or maybe next spring. Both my kids are in Ontario, my son in Ottawa and my daughter in Huntsville (she works at DeerHurst Resort and is getting ready for the G8). I was born and raised in Sudbury and have a sister and couple of neices there then I have a brother in Bracebridge. So lots of choices - I work for Scotiabank so just keep watching their jobs to see what is available. But I know I would miss the east coast and both my kids want to come back. Just not very much in the line of jobs here for them right now. I count myself lucky to have a full time job - even though I hate going in when it is a nice day.

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

I am so sorry for your loss of Fancy, Carol. Remember all the great times you had together. She had a wonderful home with you. She may be gone, but never forgotten. Enjoy your romp at the Rainbow Bridge, pretty girl.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Just got in Carol, tears for you as well..can you even think of a better way for her to say goodbye, at home, beneath her favorite tree with you holding her...shivers running down my arms! Warms hugs coming your way Carol..

Laurie, Bracebridge is about 1 1/2 hrs. from me..have stayed at Deerhust Inn several times..talk about cottage country..

Just started to rain, let's hope it rains all night so we can enjoy a pleasant day tomorrow..

Waving to everyone, been quite a day and I'm exhausted so off to bed I go..

Will gab in the a.m.

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Carol, it's hard to type through the tears. How wonderful for fancy and you that you had that special time under the tree. You will have some wonderful memories.

Laurie, welcome. Glad to hear that you are having some days where you can get on, as challenging that is.

We're off to see the huge fireworks celebrating the Navy's 100 years. There's 8000+ sailors in town from 8 or 9 different countries.

Finally some sunny warm weather for us.

Linda

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

Carol my heart goes out to you - what a sad time for you.

Betty I have been to visit and DeerHurst is a beautiful place. My daughter manages the spa there. My brother is a corrections officer at Fenbrook.

I sold a big boat I have had in my yard for 5 years tonight. I have been trying to sell it for 6 months and finally some one took it. Also got a little weeding done so a good evening all around.

Calgary, Canada

I had let my membership lapse for some time and just came back today, in time to hear about Fancy. So sorry Carol. I am glad about how and where it took place.

Theresa

Coquitlam, BC

My first time on the site for ages. I am so very sorry to hear about Fancy too. It sounded so peaceful though..all doggies should be able to leave us in such a a loving gentle way as that.

Hugs

XX Jeannine

QUack,Quack from Thunder Bay .. BUT .. no complaints !!! The fire Ban is OFF, the grass is SO green and the flowers are looking healthy !!

Thought about both you and Fancy as I fell asleep last night Carol .. she was such a sweetheart .. seems all of us had a special connection with her, through you .. I still feel downright cruddy about it . Even when I phoned the Westie breeder last evening, to firm up the picking up of Piper later in June, I kinda lost it a bit, he also sends his condolences.

WOW, welcome to, and welcome back to the new faces .. so great to have new Canadian Gardeners on the Forum ..

Not much on the agenda for today .. of course, since it's Satuday it's DUMP RUN DAY, then have to get gas for both the car and the various pieces of lawn equipment. You got a chuckle re me on Lorna's riding mower in a sun dress ,, well .. Yesterday I about turned into the 'Flying Nun' as I helped her start up the gas trimmer !!! Definitely NOT a piece of equipment I will be operating, she can do it so easily from the electric wchair tho .. can hardly wait to see how things go once she's up and standing with her prosthesis on!!

Off to take wee Lilly for a walk .. can't hardly imagine me with 2 little Westies, but, it's almost COUNTDOWN time !!

Enjoy your day ^_^

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Jeannine-Anne, how very true, have an older border-collie, Sailor , just love her to death and I know what's coming!If only we could say goodbye in the same manner...what a gift...

Therese, so glad you renewed your membership, I'm so very blessed knowing the people here at DG and especially those from our neck of the woods 'Canada'..

Don, how's the gardening going? lordy you've just returned and when you watch the months go by as they have you'll soon be thinking of heading south again...cannot believe we're already mid-June..

"M" thunder and lightning here all night, didn't get a good sleep because Sailor doesn't do well in storms...looking outside early morning it almost seemed as though the storm has passed and we'd have sunshine, but no, it's clouding up again..

Drats, Greg/Mel and the family are away this weekend, Greg's coming over to drop off Sophie and Ned, talk about big doggies, Ned is only 5 months old and will be a handful..wouldn't be so bad if it was nice outside and they could play outside..guess Sailor and my kitties will be hiding for most of the weekend..

Bought Neem but didn't get to put it on the lillies, hope I can do so today..big nursery in Midland has a sale..wouldn't you know, just when I said I had enough, guess I'll have to go...

Will be leaving on the 23rd. for a DG Reunion held this year in Ohio..seeing as weather is bad I might as well go get my car serviced and it will be on less thing to do...want to bring something homemade for each of those attending, raking my brain here this morning to think what I could do that wouldn't take up weeks of making..should know that before I head into town..know me, I'll just get back home and something will come to me and have to go back in..

Laurie, know you have mixed emotions about selling the boat..we had a long nose boat, glastron with sleeping cabin, when Roger died I sold it much to the dismay of my boys..that was 18 years ago, sold it to an elderly man, because of the long nose driving it put him in a tizzy so up into boathouse rafters it went...

Think it's 3 years ago now, my eldest Greg found it, we bought it, we redid it completely from all new upholstery, to rugs, to refiberglassing the bottom, engine work, put her original name back on 'Foxy Lady' and you know, when taking her out it's like having Roger back with us..brings warmth into our heart.. glad you got some gardening done..little by little..

Waving a 'hi' to all I've missed, gab later..
Hope it's a sunshine day in your neck of the woods...

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Good morning,

Been rather in the background of late. JUST got the Canadian Viola Society Newsletter done this past week - over a month late. Will get it in the mail shortly. DD and family from Vancouver visited earlier - late May and insisted on trying the keep DGD on Vancouver time which meant I was really scrambling to find practice time.

Smaller orchestra has a concert this evening - Brahms 4th Symphony (which I've never played before, despite doing the other 3 multiple times) and two pieces with harp - Rodrigo, Concerto Serenata and Mozetich, El Dorado. I have significant viola solos in both.

It's been rainy of late and my garden isn't ready for the Ontario Hosta Society to bring their bus tour by here in 2 weeks. I leave Tuesday for the International Viola Congress in Cincinnati and return only on the Monday before the tour.

And my car died on Victoria Day. We declared it dead when they started talking about 10 hours of labour to pull the transmission. Not on our dime for a 13 yr-old car, no matter how much I loved it. I've ordered a new one, but won't have it until early July. That means we've been getting by with one car, my bus pass and our feet. Nothing wrong with that, but a bit more time consuming.

Nice to see violist back. Betty - where in Ohio are you going? I hope your car works well. Mine had been given a clean bill of health just a few weeks ago, but I decided it was actually less expensive to fly to Cincinnati.

Rainy morning here. Am gonna start putting labels on envelopes for the newsletter. Have a rehearsal from 1-4 and the concert this evening. If it looks good tomorrow morning, I will likely skip church to garden.

Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Ann, you do amaze me..they say I never stop but am sure I'd have a hard time keeping up with you..once of these days I'll head Ottawa way to hear one of your concerts..you know, I've never been to a concert!

Ann, group of DG gardeners unite once a year..last year it was Texas, this year it's just north of Cincinatti, next year it's Chicago and the following, here in Canada at my house..I'm excited as can be..

Got my car serviced, getting brakes done next week and Lord willing it should be ok for the trip...I'm picking up Crissy who is flying to Buffalo from Arkansas, she'll drive along with me, we'll come home Sunday-early Monday and she'll spend a few days with me then on the Wednesday off we go to Buffalo so she can catch her flight home..am hoping on our way back from the reunion we can pick up Debbie in Buffalo and have her join us..

Nursery had beautiful hanging planters 2 for $45.00 for of course they came home with me along with 8 perrenials..too wet to plant right now..just finished paying and came outside of course the 'sale' sign near some cement pieces said 'come and look' there was a couple of things had I had a truck that surely would have come home with me..they did have 2 of the same 'girl holding basket' in different colors..reg. $39.99 for $5.00, cement around her bonnet and along the feet need a bit of care but thought why not, I'll sand with sander, match the paint and dry brush..I'll keep one and give one the Rita (Cathy's mom) who is always here letting Sailor out..she'll appreciate I'm sure..

Then off I went to several town boutiques looking for items for 2 swaps I'm in, 1 is sending things from your own neck of the woods and the other was something for the gardens...had fun doing both and did manage to find some nice treasures...

All and all I'm tired out..just know if I sit, that's the end of me so I will change clothes, into my painting grubs and get busy...

Gab on my next break!

Did think of what I wanted to make for everyone so with it raining, think I'll at least get started....lots of work ahead of me...

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Welcome Jeannine!

Gardening is going well, Betty. Roses are blooming and Clematis has climbed to about 12 feet tall already. Beautiful Day here today. Expected high today of 28C. The flowers will be lovin' it...me too. ^_^

Victoria Harbour, ON

Don, you would laugh if you saw my clematis on the side of the house..they DO NOT like it there I guess, but 1 little strand about 5'..3rd year, maybe I'll get 2 or 3 buds..so do admire passing gardens with them...

Roses are starting to bloom as well..oooh 28c, lucky you, I've got the micro heater on in the craft room while I work..brrr damp and cold..

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

Hot and humid in NB today was 26 at 10:00. Clouded over around 2 with a little rain and a drop in temp but the sun was soon back and 30 on my deck now. Got yet another garden weeded, starting to feel like there may be hope after all. Thanks to all for your encouragement it has certainly changed my attitude. Taking a break now and going to take the dog for a swim in the ocean. And OMG I have a clematis - somewhere? My husband bought it and planted it in the back 40 somewhere. I will look for it tomorrow. Do they transplant OK it would be a couple of years old and 5 - 6 feet tall. I will look for it tomorrow and then where will I put that? He liked to put flowers in random places that he would come across when working out there. Don't know what else I may find but as that part of the yard is a complete write off I had better get it out while I can still get back there.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wasn't he special, wanting a bit a beauty to come into his life in random places...your neck of the woods sounds so inviting, imagine walking your dog and letting him swim in the ocean..lucky you, lucky doggie!

Still lightly raining here..yikes, dog sitting 2 labradoodles, the 5 month old is large and playful..went to walk him, well let's say that's what I thought I was doing, he walked me, pulled me..I'm not strong enough for him..

Then I tied them both up, found out the puppy likes to dig..3 or 4 dead plants now..said to myself, 'self tie him where he can't dig in your flower beds' hmmm not one area that there is 2 or 3 feet that you touch into beds...so in the house he will stay..

Got to buy a baby gate, if I had one I could let them out on the back deck and not worry about them..

All are resting right now, each in their own space, between 3 dogs, 2 cats it will be difficult to find a space of my own..lol

Not exactly sure what to say .. 'brrrr'... or 'muzzy' .. the day has been overcast and kinda humid(ish).
Dump run accomplished, gas purchased .. and home to do MORE yard work !!
Typically ME .. came into the house to get 'something' .. went into the bedroom and thought .. 'hmmmmmmmmm .. ya know, if I changed this table from here to there, and then re arranged this ......' 90 minutes later the bedroom was re vamped and I had 2 bags of 'stuff' for donation. Thing is .. the new pup will be sleeping in his crate in the 'semi walk in closet' beside the bed .. so .. now its floor is clear and vacuumed and ready to receive PIPER .. however .. the gardening I was doing got stopped, and now it's kinda chilly and damp out ...

You are all typically busy .. enjoy

Have a movie to watch tonight "Old Boys" with John Travolta and Robin Williams. Watched "Blind Side' with Sandra Bulloch last night .. absolutely EXCELLENT .. and .. a true story ..

Take care all

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Doesn't take long to get side-tracked does it "M"...now don't forget where you moved the bed..lol

Pup, oh/oh "M" ..been looking after Greg and Melanie's labradoodles, of course I'm used to Sailor being elderly and lays at my feel, not these doggies, yikes, don't know how many things they've destroyed...

Playing seems to be the in thing..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Tied them up outside because they are too strong willed for me to walk, well no sooner outside did I see a few plants dug up...ok..found another spot, only left enough room for him to move around a few feet..went to bring him in and yikes, dug a hole in the lawn almost as big as he is..

DoggieGrandma isn't happy!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Now Sophie she's 2 and as docile as they come, as long as Ned isn't around...

I'll be thinking of you "M"...big undertaking but am sure you will love every minute of it..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

M we watched that movie the other night, thought it should be hilarious with those 2 in it. It was so bad, we couldn't bare to watch the whole thing, and we've watched some really bad movies!.

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

My boat went tonight - having mixed feelings here. I am glad that it is gone however it has always been there to look.
Didn't get my walk on the beach - the big black clouds rolled in and it rained off and on. I don't live on the ocean, have to drive about 15 minutes but worth the trip and I try to do it at least once a week.
Puppies can be a handful - you have to have lots of energy. My daughter babysat a goldendoodle a couple of weeks ago and was worn out at the end of it. my dog is 3 now and starting to settle down some but I sure know what you mean about not being strong enough to walk them. Abby was my husband's dog, he picked her out and raised her or should I say spoiled her. He wouldn't even put a collar on her cause "she didn't like it". She is part Newfoundlander and big and strong willed. We have had our issues but she wears a collar now and we walk a lot. She is getting used to a leash and to me but if she ever decided to take off I would be flying like a kite behind her.

Victoria Harbour, ON

I believe that's what these 2 dogs are, goldendoodles ???
full of energy, they are still playing and I'm ready for bed...will have to close all the bedroom door sand put something on the couch, Ned wants to make himself at home..

Newfoundland dogs are much like St. Bernards in size are they not..yikes, that would be a handfull..I had a St. Bernard, got him as a pup,sure was a beauty, had to have him put down after Roger died, he became overly protective, attacked one of my brother - in- laws, poor Chico, Robert came in opening the door quickly and saying 'hi' I was at the table painting and guess Chico thought he'd do harm to me...because of that and due to his size I just couldn't take the chance especially as there were so many children on the lake that would talk across our beach. Took him to the vets, vet didn't want to put him down, called me and asked if he could give him to a farmer, I said I didn't want to know if he did or didn't..now that I think back, sure hope he went to the farm...

As for the boat, am sure the couple who purchased it will have many hours of enjoyment just as you and your hubby did..hard though...

Tired tonight so calling it a night...

Nice gabbing with you all..

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

A beautiful sunny day here, same predicted for tomorrow and then cool and rainy again!

I really wanted to stay home and dig in the dirt today but rescue had its annual meet planned and I run the meeting so in the end I was there but I was this close to calling and saying Im not coming! Same thing tomorrow I have a shift scheduled at LH and would love to call and say Im not coming in but guess it would be better to get out of the house.

Bailey was interesting at the meeting today, at one point he came up to me and stared and when I patted the sofa beside me he jumped up and cuddled right into my side and stayed there for some time. Very unlike Bailey so I guess he is noticing that something is missing from our life!

About 10 people and 10 shelties! It was a touch noisy at times until we finished out meeting and had lunch. Then all the shelties were strangely quiet!

"Old Boys' was so/so .. kind of a weak story line, some VERY hilarious parts that were unfortunately few and far between. But, I did laugh at one part so hard that Lilly thought I was crying and jumped up into my lap to reassure me ALL was well LoL

Lookin kinda dreary out there right now, rain is again predicted, but, following this next bit of it, we go into better weather .

Those 'DoodleyDoos' are full of energy for sure .. but .. SO loveable .. had we have wanted a bigger dog, we likely would have gone with one .. simply because of their temprament .. but .. we thought it'd be too much bigger than Lilly, so, another Westie it is ^_^

Meeting my 2 students at the hospital later this morning .. have use of some equipment in the nursing labs ..

Off and running

ENJOY!!

~M~

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

This is Abby with my daughter taken last month when she was here for a visit.

Same kind of day today as we had yesterday - warm and humid with a chance of showers this evening. Have a brother-in-law who lives about 20 min away. He is mentally handicapped as is his wife. They have a son who will be 16 next week and he is OK. Going to visit them for awhile this afternoon but in the meantime a little more weeding and some laundry and get myself ready to go back to work tomorrow. The weekends just go way to fast.

Thumbnail by growum
Calgary, Canada

Wow, Betty and Ann, I will be in Dayton, Ohio at the end of the month too visiting my husband's mom. I love Cincinnati, that is where I went to music school, and so surprised you will both be there! (When I mention Ohio to Albertans, they seem to confuse it with Idaho and Iowa). I would love to attend the Int Viola Congress but family duties prevail.

Theresa

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Marilyn I call all those intentional poodle crosses Dipsy Doodles because they are pretty 'dipsy' and sometimes you can't tell what the cross is. The originals of course were goldens/poodles but there are other variations now.

Coquitlam, BC

Gosh, I feel like the poor relative after reading all your posts. Before our time away, (nine years in the UK 2000-2009) ,we had acreage, large gardens, an orchard and a fifth wheel(no boat). Since coming back we have moved into an apartment..oh.. never will get used to this!!

Flower gardens are a thing of the past, hanging baskets are even iffy as we face north and we have taken a community plot as I have to dig in some sort of dirt and prefer to raise my veggies myself.

Even after a lifetime of animals we are petless too.

I think I need to get a life but cannot persuade my husband buying a house at our age is still a good idea ....yet....LOL

How long does it take to get used to this?

XX Jeannine

Jeannine .. if I had been reading your post 2 years ago I would have been feeling SO bad for you .. IMAGINE .. having NO land out your back door !!! HOWEVER .. as life progressed ( we got older) .. I started to look at these 10 acres (5 cleared) and were it not for the fact my 'BFF' (best friend forever) moved in with us (she's a landscaper gardener) I would have started to SINK in the upkeep of this property. At that, Lorna underwent an emergency amputation of her left leg as the result of a blood clot last September, BUT, she is one stubborn woman, and is continuing to do our lawn care etc from various pieces of motorized equipment .. plus, her 'finesse' with her prosthesis is becoming much better ..
Bottom line .. life changes, and you do along with it, and all we can hope for is the positive ^_^

My 2 students made me SO happy today .. both of them are so totally comitted to improving their skills .. both of them were very nervous about starting IVs .. we have sat and talked about the procedure .. we have hashed out all the bad things that could happen .. but .. today .. well .. they 'done me proud' !!! LoL Their skills have most certainly 'kicked in'
have just 3 more weeks with them .. time flies fer sure !!

Rained most of the day here .. humidty is 88%+

Growum .. what a lovely daughter, AND, my .. what a LARGE dog !!! But lookit those eyes .. meltcha in a moment !!

Trying not think about this upcoming week .. it is STUFFED full !!! Will try and just take it as it comes ..

Have a wonderful evening, and a SPLENDIFEROUS week to come ^_^

~M~

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Sorry girls I'm still here, My computer is dead, got to get a new tower this week.. Till then i have to jump on my step daughters laptop.. I hate laptops i'm totally a desktop girl.. Also shes always on it so its hard to find a few mins to get on here.. Soon i will be back
jen

Victoria Harbour, ON

Hello everyone, think Sailor, the 2 kitties and I are doing the happy dance..grand-doggies have now gone home...I lost 2 lovely plants that I nurtured all winter, Ned thought tugging at them would be fun, of course I was downstairs and didn't see him...he escaped early this morning, boy are those dogs strong, wasn't smart of me to take both for a walk at 6am in my nighty...got them home, Ned stepped in his bowl of water, all over the kitchen floor it went with him running through it into every room, had to put them on back bedroom deck where they couldn't get off, washed the floors..wow..then the sunshine came out so I decided to cut my grass, brought them outside..within 10 minutes of my doing the front here's what he dug...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Oh well, it's been raked, I'll get grass seed tomorrow and before you know it I'll have grass again...

Bernice across the road came over for a visit this afternoon, saw me weeding and cutting and thought she'd come over, knows that's about the only time I take a break...so break it was then a walk through the gardens..hers are manicured gardens, mine, well helter skelter I'd call them...

Jeannine, I'll tell you, once I spend 3 hours cutting/trimming I'm wondering if I wouldn't enjoy apartment living myself...maybe you could research your district to see if there is a senior who perhaps would love help with her gardens?????

Growum..now that's one big dog...wow...think he'd be taking you walking and not you he...looks playful with your daughter, should add she's a sweetie...

Theresa, think the reunion is maybe north by about 1 hr. from Cincinatti...love Cincinatti as well, would love to do more sightseeing but no can do this time..tight schedule...enjoy your time with your mom...

Well, better I go clean my studio..been making items to take with me for all the girls that will be at the DG reunion..lots of work ahead of me but I did accomplish much today..think I'm best to leave everything as is until tomorrow morning then do clean up..should call the girls and see what day they are painting here...if it's not tomorrow then guess who can be messy for a few more days...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.