Another bird no id Kim has spoken

Male Northern Parula.

This message was edited Jul 12, 2010 7:11 PM

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Look at the size of this caterpillar

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I am assuming this is a juvenile redbellied woodpecker. It was the one in the fights with the adult one above.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

this was one of the bucks eating out in front of the camp about 20 yards away

The light was really low just breaking daylight

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

This was the other buck with some size. There were 9 deer out there total.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

What a wonderful wildlife you've gotten there Cindy! Thanks for sharing the info. on the snakes. Interesting! Have you got an Emperor Moth's caterpillar there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Gum_Moth

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I don't know Kim the description fits but it doesn't say anything about the size. This cat was just about a half inch shy of being as long as my iphone. It was big around too. I could never get a shot of it's back because every time I turned it he would turn back.

Another Gator cruising by

Thumbnail by Riverland
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Cindy those are some awesome pictures!!

Look at my Eastern Phoebe baby! I've seen 3 heads poking up but it's hard to get them.

Thumbnail by crissyr
North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Okay, let me see if I can identify all of those birds, Cindy...A fantastic collection!
1. Blue Grosbeak---that you already identified
2-3. Northern Flicker
4. Male and Female Summer Tanager
5. Male Summer Tanager
6. Female Summer Tanager
7. Orchard Oriole
8. Not the best with Hawks---guess either a Sharp-Shinned or Coopers---I will go back and look at tail, that may help
9. Male Painted Bunting (you lucky girl...I wanna see one!)
10-14. Correct
15. I don't think it is a juvenile or adult mockingbird---I need to look at that one more closely
Last picture you asked about--Male Northern Parula.

Charlotte, I believe you saw a juvenile California Gull, however, I am not as good at identifying western birds.

Kim, it is amazing the difference in markings, size and personalities of squirrels from each region...north, south, east and west.

Crissy, congrats on the baby phoebes!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

WOW it will take my brain awhile to wrap around all these different birds. Thank you Kim

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Your egret is still my favorite Cindy! I just love to watch them!!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Again thank you so much Kim. I get so frustrated trying to ID these birds. I seem to be better at tracking them down than naming them. I really had a good time this last week at the camp. Some days it was just too hot for the birds to be stirring around. Other days I was successful finding something to take a picture. Naturally you are never set the way they come so lots of blurred pictures or too much light behind them making them a silhouette. There are some I know were different that got away. My goal was to get an indigo Bunting but never got a shot of one. Saw several though. Too tiny too quick. Seeing the painted bunting was a major plus though. I saw one right there same area about 20 years ago very fleetingly. I am so blessed to have a place to go to that I can see such a variety of wildlife.

Ripley, MS

I know you love being out in the woods too Cindy. Mamma used to go for walks through the woods with us on Sunday afternoons when the weather was nice. Precious memories.

I have been wanting to try for some good butterfly pictures, but it has just been way too hot to chase any butterflies !

Cindy you should name your birds like my mom names her birds "Archibald" "Eugene" "Charlie" "Curly" "Moe" and the list goes on and on LOL

You're welcome, Cindy. How about putting the pictures of the hawk (may be a young one) and the juvie-like mockingbird (?) on ID forum and see if anyone can give a true answer...

Well I am heart broke. I got home yesterday evening at 6pm and Dave had dinner ready so we sat at the dining table and ate, I watched momma and poppa bird feed their three babies, chirping and all. Changed into my jammies after dinner and sat down in front of the tv for about 15 minutes. Commercial came on and Dave was on the front porch smoking so I walked to the back door and noticed that two baby birds were on the cement, dead, both adults weren't anywhere around. Dave came back in right then and I told him there were two baby birds on the back patio, we went out there and not only were they dead but they had yellow jackets flying all around them, rigamortis hadn't even set in yet. It was almost dark at this time and I don't know where the third one is, I looked out the window several times while I was getting ready this morning and I didn't see either adult or baby poking it's head above the nest. If Dave calls me today I'm going to ask him to get a ladder and look up in the nest if he doesn't see any action going on around it, if the baby is dead in the nest I don't want the nest to stay on the back patio.

The babies were 7 days old and had just started growing feathers so there's no way they were trying to fly yet. I'm wondering what happened, did they get hyper and take a suicide jump or did they get attacked with a swarm of yellow jackets?

Crissy, I don't believe Phoebes push siblings from the nest. Nor do I think yellow jackets attacked the nest. Since the nest was too high for a cat to jump, I think it must have been another bird...like a blue jay or maybe (but not likely) a crow. As the bird was trying to get one, the other two were pushed from the nest. I am so sorry. I really thought the nest would be safe under there. They will not nest there again, so if Dave does look in there today and there are no birds, have him remove it. There are many platform nest builders and it is still nesting season, so you may get another breed...like a robin.

Yea there's no way Tiga could have got up there, besides she was in the house pestering Dave for a good pet and food. He called to ask where the cherries mysteriously appeared from and I asked him to go up and see what's going on up there and to call me back and let me know. He said he was going up right then so I'll let you know what he finds. Whatever happened there wasn't a lot of noise involved, the sofa sits right next to the wall that connects to the back porch, and the fireplace is right there too.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

So so sorry Christine.

I called Dave and asked him what happened with it, he said the nest is empty but because they built on top of the ceiling fan where the air vents are there's all kinds of nesting inside the fan where the motor and bearings are, so he's going to take the fan apart in the next few weeks and clean it out. If another nest appears up there it will have to go, hopefully he can catch it before it gets completely built, even though he seems to think that I should be the one to catch it when I'm at work and he's home all day.

You can always place a large block of wood under the roof or atop the fan...if you would like for another bird to nest close by.

Naw, we have 40 trees just behind the house they can nest in, and be much safer. We grill out there and since the patio is so small and the fan is centered the smoke goes right up to it.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Kim I have a few more pictures for you. These were taken in Jim's yard.
Adult Robin?

This message was edited Jul 19, 2010 2:01 AM

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Juvie Robin?

This message was edited Jul 19, 2010 1:59 AM

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

An another
Juvie Robin?

This message was edited Jul 19, 2010 1:58 AM

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

This is his white pigeon

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

And these are her babies.

Cindy, I don't see a picture of the white pigeon babies...unless they are so white the blend in with the back ground. LOL

Pix...
1. I do not see partial white eye ring, so I would guess it is first spring juvie Robin.
2 & 3 are juvies probably from second nesting or late spring nesting.

Lovely pigeon!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Sorry these are her babies

Thumbnail by Riverland
Ripley, MS

You got a great shot of the babies, Cindy--you are so talented !!
How are you feeling after the trip? I hope your back is not hurt again after all that lifting you did

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I am fine. A bit sore today. My sister is moving again and we dug up the entire yard yesterday and potted them. She left a lot there that she had done so it would still look nice.We still had a trailer load.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

The pigeon babies are just too cute! Do be careful in all this heat doing all that potting!

Memphis, TN

I wasn't sure which forum to post this on for an ID -- I know it's not a plant ( ;-() ) but beyond that, I have no idea. I did see what I'm quite certain was a hummingbird a couple of days ago, which I've never seen in my yard and have been seeing lots of dragonflies, too. Can't quite convince myself that this is either of those.

Sorry for the bad shots, but these were the best of the 20 or so I got.

I'd like to hear your opinions.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

No. 2.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

I am fairly certain that you saw a dragonfly but I am not certain which one. Try posting on insect forum...someone there will know!!

Started a new thread...maybe it will cool off enough for us to start taking pix again!

We are here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1125783/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.