Birds, Critters and Such #10

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

The pix above are house sparrows...Daddy is in the first photo. You will enjoy watching them and after they fledge will stay around your area for several days...don't let the cat out ;o))

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

I finally had time to go back and catch up on all of the birds! Terrye your brood is soooo cute! That's so sad how they lose so many babies, guess that's why they have so many babies to begin with.

Kim that birdhouse isn't at my house, those birds wouldn't be nesting in it if it were lol!

The Canadian Geese that live at a pond around the corner from me I mentioned a while back, looks like they still have all of their babies and they're all the same color and almost the same size now, I can't tell the children from the parents!

Memphis, TN

I've had three little House Finches visiting my feeder all year. Today, this bunch flew in. They are much more colorful than my "usual patrons". Still, their markings seem consistent with the House variety of Finches. Am I right in assuming that's what they are?

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

Memphis, TN

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

HMM, hopefully duckmother (Kim) will help clarify their identity. I've a hard time differentiate House vs Purple Finches -- still. Male Ruby Throat hummer at the front yard yesterday evening.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Miss, definitely house finches.

It can be very difficult to tell the difference between a house and purple finch. One of the best ways to tell in the summer....we don't have purple finches ;o) They are only here in the winter. You can tell a house finch by the "sideburns" as I call them...they have brown cheeks to the ear or so. Unfortunately, the females are harder to differentiate, so just look at the males. lol

Memphis, TN

Thank you!!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Kim I've got some I need help IDing please
Not sure what this is He has a red stripe on the wing

Edited to add I think this is a Blue Grosbeak

This message was edited Jul 11, 2010 9:31 PM

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

This one I know is a woodpecker but don't know which one

Northern Flicker

This message was edited Jul 12, 2010 6:56 PM

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

maybe closer with this one
Northern Flicker

This message was edited Jul 12, 2010 6:58 PM

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

The yellow bird with this Cardinal ??
Not a Cardinal at all wasn't sure on that.

Male and Female Summer Tanager

This message was edited Jul 12, 2010 7:02 PM

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

They were having a good time cooling off together
male and female Summer Tanager

This message was edited Jul 12, 2010 7:06 PM

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Another yellow bird that is a female Summer Tanager

This message was edited Jul 12, 2010 7:13 PM

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I know this is poor but it's all I've got. Blackbird with red breast
Orchard Oriole

This message was edited Jul 12, 2010 7:15 PM

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Hawk but which hawk

Thumbnail by Riverland
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Quote from Riverland :
maybe closer with this one

Hi Cindy, long time no type! Wow my friend you've many exciting new birds to be id'ed. But this one could be a Northern Flicker juvenile? The bird is our State bird, if I failed to ID the thing I'm nooooo good! The black bird could possibly be a grosbeak ???? The rest, we gonna wait 'til Kim (duckmother) returns.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Ok now to the ones I think I know. This is another poor picture but it's as close as I could get and couldn't get a focus though the grass. I feel very fortunate that I saw this bird.
Painted Bunting

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Kim
Another poor picture of a wild turkey

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Downy Woodpecker

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

This was 2 redbellied woodpeckers fighting

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Great Egret

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Killdeer with four eggs

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Mockingbird?

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Carolina Chickadee

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Not the greatest picture but A red headed woodpecker.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Bravo! You've a many variety of birds!!! That poor Kildeer laid eggs just on the open ground like that? No nest, no nothing? (chuckle) What lazy bird! LOL

Great Heron fishing for breakfast the other day;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Yes she lays them in the rocks to camouflage them. This morning one of her eggs was gone. Don't know what got it and only took one.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I found a few critters on the beach in CA. This looks like some type of squirrel. They were all over one of the beaches we went to. There were signs up saying not to feed them. They were very aggressive. The folks next to us had to keep shooing them off. They were trying to get there food.

Thumbnail by cperdue
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh dear, I meant Kildeer!!! Sorry to hear about that. I saw one the other day and that was my first time ever. I was so excited. I'll need to sign off for now, will post more pics. in the morning. Have a good night Cindy, everyone. 'Til we meet again. Enjoy our birds and nature.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

The beach bird....don't know what it is.

Thumbnail by cperdue
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Charlotte cute picture of the critter.

How about a rattle snake with 15 rattles and a button.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Oh My!!!! That is a big one! Looks too close for comfort!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

"...too close for comfort!" Isn't that the truth! Cindy what does it mean 15 rattles and a button? Charlotte, that is a different looking squirrel you've had there. California? Which part of Ca. did you visit? I'm looking forward to visit the Northern part of the State sometimes this falls. Nice seeing you posting.

Ripley, MS

Cindy, did you get close enough to count the rattles? If so you are a braver woman than I am !

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Kim we were in the Southern part of California. We stayed in Laguna Nigel - between LA and San Diago. The kids love to go to the beaches in the area. They actually live in Northern CA in the San Fransico East Bay - Pleasanton. They are not far from beaches where they live, but like to go the ones in SO CA also. They all love the water.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

If all goes well, youngsters grow rapidly. Each time they come out of hibernation, they shed their skin. With each skin shedding (molting) a new rattle appears. During the rapid growth of the first few years, they may molt three times annually. Thus, the number of rattles is not a true indicator of age. Rattles also wear out or break off, so it is unusual to find an adult snake with more than 8 or 10 rattles.
I was about 5 ft from him when I took the picture. They are not usually aggressive unless threatened. Cottonmouths are a different story. I give them all the room they want.

I waited to count on the computer LOL

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

This little coon was peaking at me

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

This was another midair fight of the redbellied woodpecker. I should have changed my speed so it would stop the blur. Course you don't exactly have time to do that since they don't wait for you to get all your stuff together.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

oops wrong picture

Thumbnail by Riverland

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.