Birds, Critters and Such #10

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1094718/#new

Thumbnail by duckmother
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Thank You Kim

Memphis, TN

I saw the most precious thing today. Daddy's little girl has been tagging along for several days now when he comes to the feeder. She has been staying on the ground, twittering for a morsel every few seconds. Daddy always flies down, plants a piece of safflower seed in her mouth and then returns to the feeder. I noticed yesterday that he'd turn away a bit when she jumped right in front of him crying. Today, he did not leave the feeder in response to her cries and she flew up to join him. There, she found him quite willing to feed her.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Ripley, MS

What a great once in a lifetime kind of shot--that is wonderful ! Be sure and save it for the contest if we have one this year

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

That is a fantastic shot.

Wonderful capture!

Memphis, TN

Thank you all. I was quite surprised to catch them so well, as I usually don't -- !

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Agreed, what a nice pic. opportunity. Great shot of the cardinal and his baby girl, HMM.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

"Where are those water-chickens that we used to see? Boys! Wished they were here!". Said my furbaby to the other. (water chickens = American coots migrated here over the winter).

Thumbnail by Lily_love

LOL They may have water turkey withdrawals for a few more months and they will return ;o) There may even be more if the oil spill messes up their winter vacation spots!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yes, it's sad with the oil spill mess! Kim. Here is my other furbaby sunbathing under the morning sun. But, not for long for it's getting too hot before summer even arrives. Yikes!

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Kim, such a pretty peaceful scene!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Charlotte, the sky is blue, the water is calm. The mood is one of peace with nature.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A House Finch and Carolina Wren are having a 'Staring contest' at each other at the feeder. Guess who won at last?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Usually the Finch will be the victor, but this episode was interupted. When they both discovered the camera behind the window.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

I have a few "Awwwww" pictures to share...

First is 3 of the 4 ducklings that started this thread...I don't know what happened to #4. Mom is on the left. The babies are not such babies anymore.

Thumbnail by duckmother
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

They are Awwww pictures. Such cuties!

We raised a male muscovy (I was told it was a wood duck...wrong) and when we got him he was yellow from head to toe, so we named him Buttercup. Now, he is about 4 years old (and no longer yellow) and we have never been certain if he has fathered any babies. Well, he is the only male this year and this is what the momma brought to breakfast this morning.

Thumbnail by duckmother
Ripley, MS

Boy they grew up quick ! Not even a month and they are so big now
Did you see my kitties?

They have 10 babies. I really wanted to bring her and the kids home but I don't think she would have liked that much ;o)

Thumbnail by duckmother

If you look closely, you can see that all of them look the same except 1. He is almost entirely brown...and very shy.

Thumbnail by duckmother
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

They have such blue beaks and such distinctive markings on the head.

He is quite shy and it took me awhile to get a close-up, but I finally did............Awwwwwww ;o)

Thumbnail by duckmother
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Awwwwwwww!!

They will not be the cutest when they are grown...but right now they are adorable! Here they are with Momma.

Thumbnail by duckmother
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Awww, Kim nice pictures of the little ones!

Thanks!

Memphis, TN

I had a new visitor today. This White Winged Dove dropped in to scarf down some Safflower seeds and was pretty tolerant of the photo op I took advantage of! I've never seen one of these and would be curious to know if any of you have had them before. According to what I've read, their range is a long way from here.

I also posted this picture on the bird watching forum.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Whatever the reason it found its way to your backyard in Memphis. It's a wonderful gift. Please send it over here to Central Al. HMM. I especially like its eye-liner. lol.

How wonderful. Great find and great picture, MM!

Booneville, MS

I've got baby ducks! But I don't have a picture yet. We went and looked at them just now but Momma wouldn't let us get anywhere around them. Got close enough to tell that there are 8-9 of them. She is still on Ray's cousin's lake. Maybe she will bring them home soon, hopefully. She may decide to live down there. lol
I'll try to get pics tomorrow.

Terrye

Congratulations!!!! I cannot wait to see pix!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Mary, that's the neatest shot of those two birds. LOved it.

Lily_love that deck shot looks so peaceful. Pretty dogs too

I just love those little baby ducklings. Aren't they just so adorable.

congrats on those baby ducks Terrye. How come you don't want them on your pond?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Happy Father's Day to everyone on DG's and around the globe.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Ripley, MS

Terrye does want them--the Mom duck went off to her cousins building way up high to have them, then she took them to the cousins lake !

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Kim those duckies are just way too cute!

Congrats Terrye!!! Can't wait for her to allow you to see them up close and personal!

Nice pic Mary! They have those Doves in Modesto, CA!

Kim, I have this bird who built a nest on top of my ceiling fan on my back porch.

Thumbnail by crissyr

Here's a pic of the bird sitting on my veggie garden fence

Thumbnail by crissyr

Here's the nest. Do you know what kind of birdie I have here? She's very skittish and if someone walks up to the back door she flies away.

Thumbnail by crissyr

Crissy, it looks like an Eastern Kingbird.

The nest may be a House Finch. If you get the chance to look at the female, see if she a small brown bird with brown stripes down her chest...or if you see the male, look for red on his head and the rest of him brown.

The birds in the pictures is the same bird that sits on that nest. I looked on Wikipedia and that's definitely the bird and she's not aggressive at all. We'll see what happens when her babies are born and Tiga is laying on the back porch on her favorite rug like she does for hours every day.

This message was edited Jun 21, 2010 11:33 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.