Garden Objects Revisited

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That drives me nuts.I recharge at times when there isnt any indicator just so I dont have to drop things for 2 hours.I do have another camera and use it.I really preferr my Nikon Coolpix.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I've got a Nikon Coolpix too, got it a couple of years ago and it's been great because it's so convenient but lately it seems like the settings are all wrong? I have no idea what I might have done, don't remember changing the settings but the outside photos I've been taking look all washed out!

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I have these guys diving into the pond. A 'school' of about 9 or so. The birds don't get them and neither do the snakes.

Thumbnail by missingrosie

Ge - I thought of you when I saw this. A way to incorporate your painting into the outdoors (but let me first say that I know this is my level painting and FAR below yours) -- This is a project that I am planning to work on with Ben - my grandson (6 years) during his yearly summer visit.

An old piece of roofing..... painted up.... and hung outside (or indoors as the case may be - I brought in this one in to brighten the kitchen) - I purchased this one but it is easy to make and a great gift for a little guy to give his mom as a momento of the summer of his 6th year.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

You have nothing to apologize for. Your taste is fantastic and the project is sweet.Love the flying fish.

Thanks Ge

The fish are from Francis Vega's shop - were $6.50 each - isn't that a great bargain!!! He stamps them out - I guess heat treats for the coloration and folds. His spikes are top notch too .. fish stabilized really well underside.

I am thinking maybe Ben can do a 'Home Sweet Home' for the kitchen. Embellish with painted flowers, the sun, birds etc. He prints fairly well. His mom's kitchen is old fashioned (house early period Sears Roebuck so common in PA.) and I think the metal sign will be traditional enough for my daughter. She says my tastes too far out for her and I say that she leans towards fuddie duddie --- HA! Role Reversal!! In my old age (when I will be held captive) she will house me in a sick room full of chintz and chenille and teapots and flowers ----pale pink rosebuds I bet.... aurghhhhhhhhhhhh

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Held captive is so funny.
I just had a bath remodel.Painted it purple

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Here's the shower.The contractor thought I made a mistake. I told him I'm over 70 and want purple and besides when I am o the other side of the grass the kids can paint it pale green or taupe I wont care.
Shoot not what I wanted

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Here is the shower wall

Thumbnail by ge1836
Shenandoah Valley, VA

I love your sun thing - so creative. And the fish is fabulous! I want to see a picture of the white (curly edges) table in the photo with the birdhouse, Rosie.

The purple bathroom is wonderful and I love that color - true, rich purple. When I was a kid, our pastor's wife was crazy about purple and she had a purple bathroom.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

thanks

Ge - that bathroom is heavenly and I loooooove that chair and the mix color of the rug with it. Good job. I just love it. I bet the kids will leave it purple.

Ge would you mind telling me the color purple and brand? I just love it. I have a bench that would look lovely that shade of purple and I can paint some yellow flowers on it.

Here is the table with the curly things. It is aluminum not white painted. It probably looked white in that photo. I will try to find a closer image - I am bad about storing photos where I can find them again.

Well, after looking at it - I think you can see it ok. It is a king (I didn't like the queen as well) the birdhouse and some other garden stuff spend the winter in that room where the cold and wet weather won't wreck.

Here is my favorite birdhouse - isn't she a beauty????

A local potter was learning how to make and this was her first attempt. She hated it!!! (Not me!!) She practically gave it to me and just wanted me to get it out of the workshop before anybody saw it.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

You arent going to paint a Don Drumm?ARE YOU!!!!
The purple was a custom mix .I'll see if I can find something close.
Benjemine Moore

Another angle.

Ha! no I have a peeling falling apart plain old wooden garden bench and I can sand it to a reasonable painted finish and then make it that gorgeous purple you have there. It is a nice plum-y purple. If you have the time Ge I would sure appreciate your trying to find me a name for the color. I will happily send you postage if you paint a piece of paper for me that i can take to Benj Moore.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Whats her name I might have to have one.The hole is too big but its a beauty otherwise.
Hrer is my newest creation.I used my friends studio last fall. I have to fill it with something like mulch the hole is too far from the bottom.Birds wont nest in anything too deep.I have to bring it in for the winter.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Let me see what I can do online with a close match. I actually wished the color had been a bit greyer.

You are so talented.

I can check the underside to see if signed.

I got her at claymakers in Durham ... maybe foster street.

I can take a photo of her and maybe find the gal. This is a gallery with not a lot of physical space...but the back room is where lessons are given and some potters rent the space. I am sure this was a student and the show was for all the students to show their work. This little gal was hidden (the birdhouse) but I just loved it.

OK thanks. This color is perfect for me because I think when the sun hits it...... pow!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I will paint a sample.I cant figure out how to view colors, except primaries, on line
D-mail me the address.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh what beautiful things. Love them all. Great bath redo.
Missingrosie, I like your school of diving fish and love the piece you are planing to do with your GS. It reminds me of this piece from the Phila Flower Show. Not sure why maybe the colors but I thought of this sunflower piece as soon as I saw your birds.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Very nice

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have a big blank wall on the front top of my house. I keep thinking I will find something to hang up there that will fill the space and look nice but I never really found anything that I think will work. So I'm looking at this piece at the Phila show it was done by the City School art students and I'm thinking something like that would fill the space pretty nice. Maybe use old weathered barn boards as a canvas. But this is going to be a big project if I would do it and I keep wondering if I like it enough to do what all would have to be done to hang something like that on a second floor outside wall. At this time I'm not sure.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Cableing should be considered

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I LOVE the table and chair! So whimsical. And is that a peapod lamp? How adorable.

On purple paint - check out the free paint sample bottles at glidden.com, if they're still giving them out. I know they had some really pretty purples and it might be enough to do your bench. I think each bottle does 300 square feet.

Yep, here you go. You can get two free samples and send a friend a link to get two.
http://glidden.com/products/paint-testers.do I don't know why the link didn't work last time. If it doesn't here, just go to the glidden main page and click on the paint testers on the bottom of the page.

Hart - yes that is a pea pod - a gift to celebrate the upcoming birth of a grandchild (the one I am going to do the project with.) Very observant!

Thank you for the link - free paint is good. Ge is going to help me find her color and I think I may have to work with the folks at the counter to get it right - that is what she had to do.

Holly - wow - that is beautiful. Are you thinking of duplicating it for your house? Or, just the idea with a different subject? It is a lot of work. I had a big space too outside the house that needed 'something.' Hard to find that something tho. I went quick and easy a long row of metal stars painted in faded colors ..sort of a milk paint look. Went well with the rural setting. blue, clay, barn red, butter creme and a taupe. Met the need. It was hairy getting up there and hanging and trying to get straight because second story. I worried the stars would rust and run down the house - but 10 years later no rust. It isn't hard to find metal roofing here and the birds are painted on old metal roofing. I have also seen painting on large pieces of lineolum or vinyl flooring (like sometime folks make a floorcloth from) that may be another idea if you go with the paint project.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have been looking at a wood cut of a tree mounted on the front of a house we pass when on vacation in Duck, N.C. I would really like something like that but my space is a lot longer than it is high. It doesn't really lend it's self to a tree unless you make them smaller and spread them out like a grove of trees, not the look I really want. I was thinking of trying to duplicate the sunflower as I liked it so much. I was thinking of bolting it to the house. Then there is the labor & cost of anything we would put up there. It's pretty far down on the project list , so I'm thinking I would just have to really love it to go to the expense and effort. I've seen a few things that I like well enough to maybe put up there but none of them are the size you would need.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Here are the stars going across.

You do have a great space to do something.

I would definitely follow the line across so the eye doesn't stop and say 'wha?'

This may sound crazy to you, but you could paint up some poles perhaps 3 or 5 and lay across that space. One under the other. Same length. Solid color. Hang like you would a fishing pole or a curtain with a scoop shaped hook. Something not too heavy --- very organic in its plain long lean design. It would add visual interest -- and be very inexpensive and you could change up as you want with color (s)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I like your stars. I like your idea with the poles I could see them staggered across the whole space some starting and stoping at different places. Very different than I was looking at and very doable.

If bamboo could be found of a decent diameter - sure would be easy enough and again very organic looking and the lines would please the eye.

I think the important thing would be that wherever you place the poles on the space that the poles be clustered together. Not a lot of house showing between them.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Those Glidden colors Black Tulip is close.
I am mailing your sample Monday.
Check out the Abstract Impressionists stamps.I think they are a hoot.

Highland, MD(Zone 7a)

@missingrosie first love your stuff! second I grew up in Hurdle Mills and had family in Durham. My in laws live in Pinehurst now and my mil took me to a bunch of the pottery places. There was some really cool stuff (not as cool as that birdhouse though) that I would have love to have brought back. Once place even had a mix of pottery projects and recycled metal art, a dragonfly as big as me! Wish we'd had the truck lol!

Idy - so you stopped there in your post???? Come on, you have to give it up --- what is the name of the shop and where is it? You can't keep it secret!! I can get down to Pinehurst. We lived in Durham when we first moved this way. Near RTP. Then a little farther west to Woodcroft area and then here to Hillsborough.

We have little pockets of artists communities all over. Lots of art tours in the fall. So I get to see a lot of what doesn't make it to the regular shops (the mainstream stuff mostly) -- I like to find the quirkier stuff. (Is 'quirkier' a word???)

Ge - thanks for the Glidden search - I planned to look at that link today. It will be nice to get free paint - I have a lot of projects to do on my to do list. Thanks to Hart for the link.

Opps the giveaway has ended. I will keep checking back to see if they get it up and running again. Meanwhile I will go to BM with the sample for that little bench.

Holly be sure to post photos of whatever you do on your house. Would love to see it. Everything you do turns up great.

Highland, MD(Zone 7a)

oh gee I don't know we went to like 15 that day! There's a pottery trail and we took a small part of it and just went to all these different ones, it was cool!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.