As of today...

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Everything that needs to be sown, has been sown. Everything that should be growing, is growing. Everything that needs to be fertilized has been fertilized. I've weeded and watered.

The asparagus is now 3' ferns. The strawberries have finished and are reblooming for a later crop. The garlic is almost, but not quite ready to be pulled. The onions have three to four more weeks to finish bulbing. The tomatoes are still green. The sweet peppers have yet to set fruit. The melons are the size of golf balls. The beans have flower-buds. The carrots are blooming, and so are the beets. The blueberries are green. The figs are the size of marbles. The persimmons are a long way from ripening. The pear trees didn't set fruit!

To put it succinctly - there's nothing to eat!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

That just about sums it up here, too!

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

We're still cutting our asparagus and will for another week or so. We've got chard, lettuce, kale, radishes, and peas, too. Strawberries, which didn't do much this year, are still producing the occasional red berry. Beans aren't flowering yet, sweet peppers have buds but no flowers, tomatoes are just beginning to flower. I just pruned them and staked the largest ones. Pear trees have lots of fruit and so do peach trees.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Major harvest time here. Beets, cabbage and cauliflower are finishing up. snap beans and summer squash in full production, corn starts next week. Blue berries and peaches about two weeks away.Tomatoes start shortly. Melons, watermelons, butterbean, southern peas,okra start in July. August start over with fall garden, September/ October start winter garden, November start early spring garden. About the only months I am not planting are December and January and I sometimes crowd into them.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Interesting to see how the gardens progress through the different zones. I can almost predict when something will be will be ready here, by what is happening one zone south.

Farmerdill - looks as though you are busy, busy, busy, whereas I'm going to have to wait three or four more weeks for my gardening chores to be where yours are now.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I probably stared earlier, Charlotte is not very far behind us climate wise.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

We currently have squash coming out our ears - regular zucchini, 8 ball zucchini, round green zucchini, yellow crooknecks and patty pan. Why did I plant so much squash - lol?!?!

Tomatoes, peppers, bush beans (pole beans are just setting blossoms) and eggplant. Armenian cucumbers out the wazoo too! Onions are almost ready to harvest. Potatoes I need to harvest and see what I've got. Too hot for them. Today is supposed to be 110° and 112° tomorrow.

Okra has buds, strawberry popcorn is setting ears. Pumpkins, watermelons and cantaloupe have babies. Herbs - basil, thyme, different mints and oregano. Dill, parsley and cilantro gave up the ghost long ago. Sweet potatoes trying to take over the garden.

So I guess I won't starve - I can eat squash for breakfast, lunch and dinner - lol...

Bark River, MI

You southerners make me so jealous!!!

the only thing we're harvesting right now is asparagus, which we should still have for a few more weeks -- and I pulled some onions and chard that managed to grow back from last year's garden.

I *do* have 6 little oranges on a dwarf tree in my sunroom, though...

;-)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I wish I had room for an asparagus patch - it's one of my favorite veggies! And to still have chard and beets... Sigh...

See, that jealousy works both ways;o)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

DH wants an asparagus patch. I'm trying to dissuade him. LOL

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Broccoli, snap peas, buttercrunch lettuce, strawberries, and raspberries are in season here. Melons are blooming some and corn and potatoes are about 30 inches tall. Tomatoes are growing nicely. Fruits are golf ball size and looking good. Would like to save some of the recent rain for later!

How interesting; our strawberries are about a month earlier than our raspberries and blackberries! And I wish we had gotten some of your recent rain; despite a tornado watch all we got was a sprinkle.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Tomatoes, peppers, squash, melons and other summer crops are in full swing. We are still getting a few broccoli and cauliflower heads. Carrots, beets and radishes are still good. We are still producing baby salad greens, even getting lettuce and spinach to germinate. Sweet potatoes are vining, the other potatoes are finishing up.
I will sow seeds for fall tomatoes next month. In August we start cole crops, then it's back to all things that like cool weather. We grow 12 months of the year, cucumbers and melons are hard to get started in Dec-Jan but will grow all winter if started in November.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Farmerdill - I wondered if you had started your planting earlier than myself. I always wait a bit just in case there's a late spring frost - which we didn't get this year.

I'm enjoying reading everyone's garden bounty.

Pleasant Hill, CA(Zone 9b)

Last year at this time I was suffocating under all the beans... THIS year, my beans are finally a foot tall, and I saw my first bloom last week. I've finally finished planting everything... and I'd guess I'm 8 weeks behind last year. Normally, the rains stop in late April (and we don't see it again until late October). This year, we had rain last WEEK! I've lived here my whole life, and can't remember rain in June...

And now I'm afraid it's going to turn super hot and ruin my cool crops (broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts), that I planted in February, but are only 10" tall...

sigh...
We are eating over-wintered onions, peas, some blueberries. Blackberries are starting to turn pink. And when-oh-when will my potatoes be ready?

I think my 800 sq ft. of garden is schizophrenic. Peas and Blueberries at the same time? Huh?

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

Ground frosts every night this week, and not far north of here air frosts. I planted my runner beans out a fortnight too early, and I've been swathing them in horticultural fleece every night. So far they've survived. The forecasters say it will turn warmer on Wednesday, but remain below average for the time of year. My lettuces and spring onions, planted during a brief unseasonable warm spell in early May, are about a couple of inches tall.

I've lived here for four years now, and every one has been different. I don't know what a typical Finnish year is like. I can undestand why the Finns are not very keen on veg growing!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Peas are finished. It got hot and also my brother didn't pick or water when I was away for a week. AACCKKK!!!

Wacky weather made the broccoli bolt.

I put in 3 blueberry bushes this year and there are a few berries. Hopefully I'll get them before the birds.

Tomatoes are looking good ( thank you, Greenhouse Gal) I have a few peppers flowering. green beans doing well, just planted some more before the rain came today. Rain, glorious rain. It has been slow and steady today. It was getting very dry.

Squash, watermelon, and volunteers of something are growing well. I'll plant a few pumpkin seeds soon.

This is pretty much my first year doing veggies and am pleased so far. Learning a lot. I need to expand next year.

Jan, did I give you tomato plants that you saved seeds from? I forget!

So far I have twelve 6-oz packages of peas in the freezer, and I should be getting more. The past few days of cooler weather have been good for them, and we also got a little rain today. Did you?

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Ahhh, rain - heavenly rain! Rained off and on all day here. Really nice hear. I will have an abundance of snow peas to pick for our camping trip! Very nice indeed. (And, of course, since we will be camping this week, rain is predicted for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Your welcome!)

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Yes, GG, you gave me 3 tomatoes from 3 different plants and I saved some seeds. However, I didn't write the names down, just small roma and heirloom. LOL It will be a surprise. I'm just thrilled, though, that I got some to germinate, since I have difficulty with seeds. I actually WS some of them and put some in the ground with a milk jug over them. They're smaller than ones you'd buy to plant, so maybe I'll have some before frost.

We did get a nice, soaking rain yesterday. Finally! Thank you, Sequee, for the promise of rain this weekend. Have fun camping.

Jan, the Roma type would be Cornue des Andes, if it's long, and the heirloom is now called Ste. Colombe. If the other is a nice round red one it would be St. Pierre; those were my three favorites. Last year I also grew Rose de Berne which we all liked, but that's more of a pink. I'm so glad you had good luck with them! All of them came from France, either via seeds I collected myself or from a packet I bought.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thank you - I wrote them down again. Let's see how fast I lose it. ^_^

You can always give a holler and I'll tell you again. I don't grow a lot of varieties so it's easy.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

LOL

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

What is this rain of which you speak?

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

It's kind of like tears, but it falls from the sky - cool, clean, wet, and refreshing. You'd like it, honest!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Perhaps I'll get to experience it one day. I might have to travel to see it, though.

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

well it started to rain yester day about 4pm and for every hour it rained it would stop foran hour and then do it again not hard just lightly and has done that until 7pm today and finaly quit . everything in the garden in greener than a gord but thank the lord the weeds are not up just a few here and there .

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

How do you train you weeds to only come up here and there? I want to know the secret.
They say we only got about 1/4". That can't be right.

Gloucester County, VA(Zone 7b)

We missed the last two rains... 2 miles north and south of me. Went out today and watered, watered, watered as we have had no rain. Veggies have been doing well. Peas are now gone, like another, left for 10 days and no one picked them and that ended them. Have had tons of lettuce (which has now ended) still have a few small heads of cabbage. One Chinese cabbage left to eat, some kale and the last of the broccoli bolted. The carrots and beets are still producing well, beans are just blooming, squash was late going in and only now starting to bloom. The cherry tomatoes are ripening, first of the raspberries are in, a few strawberries that the slugs did not get have been eaten and a hand full of blueberries have ripened (new bushes). The peppers are in full production and I have had my first big roaster peppers stuffed this year. (Hmmmm) Have cut one eggplant and can see several more in the wings. Never got the melons in and the potatoes have not started blooming.. Swiss chard will be on the dinner menu tomorrow night. Cucumbers and okra are still small and the hopes of a crop several weeks away..All in all, enough things are still (or starting) to come in to have something to eat each night.... Not a bad year so far.

Thumbnail by nini1953

Jan, we only ended up with 2/10ths of an inch per our rain gauge, and it did seem accurate. It helped but not much!

Nini, our peas are almost done; we picked some yesterday but only got two packages out of it and some of the vines are starting to yellow. I always let them go around this point and then once everything is dried I save seeds for next year, since it's a variety I bought in France and you can't get them here. DGD is raiding my radishes and accidentally pulled up a carrot yesterday; it was tiny but very sweet. Potatoes are tall but no flowers yet, tomatoes are just starting to show blooms, kale and broccoli are doing well. I put a hoop over them because they were getting eaten! Beans are climbing but no flowers yet, peppers are blooming but no fruit. Cukes, squash and melons are just coming up. I wish my chard had come in better; I replanted several times to try to fill in the gaps but without much luck! Your garden sounds really productive and quite advanced, and you're almost in the same zone as I am. This is an interesting thread!

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

nini - I echo greenhouse_gal when she says your garden sounds really productive and advanced. I'm in the same zone as you, and mine is still not producing anything edible, although the garlic looks ready to pull. It's amazing what just a week can do.

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

Jan23,

Well I took my lil Trixy out there and told them if they did not want the four pawed with claws out there diggen them up they would stay out of the garden for a while. It seem to work .

The Sarge ~ ; > )

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

LOL, SGT. Yours are better trained than mine.

Thanks, GG, I guess it was a more gentle rain than I thought it was. Watered everything well this morning.

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

we do spend a bit of time out there tillen them under and cutten them down . I did get two of the garden weasels like my Pa had ( a DG help me find out what they were called ) just got them a day ago faster than a hoe ;) and i can run through the rolls fast if its dry then i use a small kiddie yard rake to scrach up the weeds and throw them in the compost pile LOL

Gloucester County, VA(Zone 7b)

I started a lot of things inside this year (the first time I have done this much... gave myself some grow lights for Christmas!) like lettuce, cabbage, kale, Chinese cabbage, broccoli, tomatoes, peppers and eggplants. That helped jump start my garden this spring. When the weather broke, in went the sets. (except the warm weather ones.) But the carrots and beets were planted from seed as was the other stuff. It seems timing was everything this year and I lucked out and hit some good weather stretches that allowed me to get some things in and going that if I had waited a week, I might have had to wait several more weeks getting them in. One thing that has not made it yet is melons. I have the seeds and I think I am still going to plant them and see how I do.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Melons like warm weather, so you should still have time to direct seed some!

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

In most areas melons need to be up and blooming now to catch the best results. When it begins to cool down a bit, cantaloupes tend to not flavor up well. Watermelons can flavor up ok later, but for myself, I just begin to lose some of my taste for the hot weather fruits come fall...and apples, pumpkin pie, and such takes over..

I know what you mean about losing your taste for those things, Indy. As soon as there's a snap in the air I want apples, not peaches!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

FarmerD,
What do you start:
in August for your fall garden?
in Sept/Oct for your winter garden?
and in Nov for your early sprnig garden?

Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.