What is planted in your containers?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 190 votes:

annual bedding plants. (what varieties?)
(47 votes, 24%)
Red dot

Perennials, vines, or shrubs.
(34 votes, 17%)
Red dot

I have a herb garden in containers.
(20 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Fruits and veggies! (what kinds?)
(17 votes, 8%)
Red dot

I have a container water garden.
(4 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Everything I plant is in a container.
(16 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Other. (what is it?)
(37 votes, 19%)
Red dot

I do not have any plants in containers. (why?)
(15 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I had to go with other, which is an assortment of the choices. Some annuals, some perennials, some herbs. I have an interchangeable planter on the deck which hosts small evergreens in the winter followed by annuals in the summer; fountain grass and a Harry Lauder in separate planters; the requisite fuschia basket; more with annuals; a strawberry pot filled with succulents; and some of my tender herbs are kept in containers half buried in the ground, then brought in for winter protection.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

I have mostly annuals including tender herbs in my containers. The annuals include Osteopermum (Cape Daisy), Calibrachoa, Scaevola (Fan Flower), and Pelargonium (Geranium). I also have permanent containers on my shady front porch that have various variegated ivies, perennials like Spikemoss and Helleborus, and an anchor shrub: Aucuba 'Gold Dust.'

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Mostly annuals geraniums, million bells, coleus, impatiens, petunias
Trying tuberrose for the first time this year
Some herbs, chives and basil

I had to vote for other because I plant quite a few different kinds of annuals (petunias, hybiscus, violas, licorice plant. oraginum Kents Beauty, several kinds of daisy type flowers, dianthus, a purple and red plant that attracts hummingbirds and more) plus annual flowering vines and tomatoes, peppers and butterfly bushes in a variety of pots or hanging baskets. I have actually cut back on the number of containers to around twenty five. All of this is besides the numerous plants planted in the garden and borders.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Annuals--coleus, impatiens, wax begonias, petunias and whatever else I pick up over the next couple days.
Veggies--chili peppers, tomatoes

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh, I lied. I do have a few large pots. Annuals and sweet williams- I try to use wha I have laying around.
Generally though I do few pots or hanging baskets cuz it is so hard to remember to keep them all watered in midsummer.

Oconomowoc, WI(Zone 4b)

Hello All,
I also go with a mix of annuals and tender perennials; I started aquiring mini Figaro Dahlia's and plant my 1/2 dozen deck pots with some of them. Trailing annuals fill in hanging baskets and I've started playing with ornamental herbs, too. I've African Blue Basil in among Dusty Miller and red Dahlia and Pineapple Sage with white alyssum.
There's a total on 18 containers on or around the house, so I've a lot of canvas to play with!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Most of my potted plants are cacti and other succulents.

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

Other - some annuals, some perennials, some tropicals, some trees, some cacti....little bit of everything.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I was going to plant up my planters and containers but have been advised that according to policy, no containers can be placed on the heritage house porches or steps so I must remove them. So much for having a nice garden again.

Here's Heuchera Southern Comfort from last year

Thumbnail by growin

I plant everything in containers. I have quite an assortment of perennials, annuals, shrubs, and veggies, all grown in containers. Also, a couple of Orange trees. Here's one view of some of my container plantings.

Thumbnail by

And here's another view.

Thumbnail by

I like the crooked birdbath thingy!

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

I have veg plants in pots to sell but I don't myself garden in pots or containers. I have a sprinkler system so I use it :D

Calgary, Canada

Tomatoes are going to go in large pots.
But I fill containers with anything which I think goes with something else.
I also make collections of smaller containers with perhaps only one or two plants in each
container. Last year I saw an arrangement of smaller planters arranged around and on a bench which was effective. I am going to copy that idea.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

When my husband was military, everything was in containers so it could travel with us. Now, most of my plants are in the ground. The majority of my containers are hanging baskets for staghorn fern, rabbit's foot fern, several epiphyllums, chenille plant, ginger mint, fuschia. I keep tender houseplants like peace lily on the porch so I can put it away during the freezes. I also plant invasive/aggressive plants in large containers, like Bleeding Heart Vine and Japanese Honeysuckle.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I voted 'other' as I have a bit of everything in my containers. Lavender, cannas, rosemary and lantana are at my sunny back door. I have caladuims, coleus, impatiens, brugmansias and begonias are on my east-facing front entryway.

I push the zones a bit with my lantana and rosemary varieties, so the containers allow me to drag them inside our garage if the temps get too cold. They sit outside nearly all year, but spend a few nights indoors in the middle of January during the coldest part of our winter.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

My garden is 8x12 feet and three stories up! Everything is in a container but I definitely make the most of my space!

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I have an assortment in my containers. I have everything from annuals, perennials, ornamental trees to evergreen ferns. My planters are out year-round.

Oconomowoc, WI(Zone 4b)

@ VA_Wild_Rose - a garden is where any plant makes it's home. Send us a pic of your sky-borne potting shed!

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

I have planted The Garden Impossable See My Blog you will understand. no containers except a few dwarf trees that stay outdoors year round

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates
(Becky) Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

I don't have a lot of ground space to garden there so just my Roses, watermelon, and strawberries and blueberries grow inground. Everything else is on my patio in containers I reuse a lot of household junk to make some of my containers.

What a fun way to recycle! Household junk makes for some really cool planters!

Deer Park, TX(Zone 9a)

I voted "other" because I plant everything in containers, but everything I plant isn't in containers.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Bonsai trees.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

The plants I have in containers are the ones that are inside the house. Outside, the plants are in the soil.

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

this is rather fun thank you dave wish i could get to other areas . ; { 0 )

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates
Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

I voted other because I have such a variety. Hybiscus, angel bogonias, tomatoes, herbs, ferns, bromilaids (sp), small shrubs, etc. Plus annuals on the front porch which include petunias, sweet potatoe vines, geramiums and other small plants. I use spanish moss to finish off because it helps with moisture and looks really nice. Besides I have tons of it down here!!

Kathymae, your containers look so nice. You can't help but smile when you walk out there. Thanks for sharing it with us.

(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a little bit of everything in containers, I found the raised beds weren't enough for my herb and veg wants. I was gifted with some wonderful stacking containers (thanks darkmoondreamer) and I have them planted with combos of veg, herbs, annual flowers and perennials. I have vines in pots elsewhere in the garden and a number of things that are perennial or are marginal 'tropicals'

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

I agree with previous postings: "other" = pick 2 or more of categories above.

Hmmm... annuals, perennials, herbs, 2 young trees, tropicals, succulents, & (if indoor containers count) 4 water gardens.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

A little bit of everything in containers except a water garden.
Martha

Moss Point, MS

I voted 'other' because I have dozens of Sago palms growing in containers. Also have dozens growing in the yard.

Louisville, KY

Elephant ears all kinds of Aroids!!!!!!!!!!! My favorites.

Thanks FlipFlops! It's nice to sit out there in the mornings with my coffee before I go to work. And it's where I go as soon as I get home from work, to relax and unwind! Ky, I think I bought the birdbath at Lowes a few years ago. It no longer holds water, though, so I just use it as yard art, now.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I voted for, I don't have any container plants.

Gardening time is short and those pots would dry out and die before I could get to them.

Better they all stay in the ground.

Westmoreland, TN(Zone 7a)

i put most of my passifloras in pots so as to bring them in for the winter untill they are big enough to be put in the ground.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Right now I have daylily seeds started in pots. When they are large enough, I transplant to the garden.

louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

I selected annuals but probably should have picked other. I tuck lettuce, herbs and some of my other favorites in my containers. My lettuce is ready about the time some of my other things need room to grow. I only have certain colors I use. Red, blue, white and yellow. I use lots of moss rose in the red and yellow colors. My garden is looking good right now.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Because my garden is mostly shady (various degrees) there's only limited space in my sun beds. I plant all sorts of things in containers that I can place in assorted sunny areas & move them around, if needed - Tomatoes, Peppers, herbs, annuals.

Years ago I grew Tomatoes & Peppers very successfully on an apartment balcony with an overhang. Everyone said it wouldn't work because they didn't have the required hours of sun. We got tons of fruit & they were some of the best tasting we had ever had. I continued for about the next 3 years with similar success.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.