Share splash of colors from your garden

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Artgal, the yellow lily buds in the foreground with the Akebia in the background is striking.

So when do you want to do a get together Pam, Becky and Nicole? I can block either of the last two weekends in July or last two of Sept.. October is not out of the question though I'd need to leave Oct. open awhile for cottage stay reservations unless my rooms would have cottage stay guests from here. July would probably mean more of a seed swap since digging and transplanting are more challenging in the heat. I'm up for anything. I love swapping seed. Who wants to have a (plant) party?
L

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Me, lol love parties.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

End of July is better for me, but hey, that's just little ol' me!

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I am going out of town in July but I should be back at the end of month. Yes, you are right, too hot for digging but I will probably have plenty of seeds then.

Geez Elaine, you've been on your way to visit for three years! Does this mean you might finally get here?

Pam & Nicole, if the last weekend in July is good for Becky, we'll have a date. Forty eight hours is enough time for me to pull anything together since I cater. However, I won't be landscaping a hundred acres and monogramming my entrance with flowers the way Donna did. Just not that energetic. lol

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Artgal - gooseneck loosestrife it is. Here's the plant file link. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/656/ It sure isn't obedient by any means. I planted it where I don't mind it taking over. I love how the maple and daylily colors blend in your pic. What maple is that?

Laurel - Sorry to be a party pooper, but end of July is not good for me. This summer is booked solid with DGD and going to FL to visit the in-laws (they are 88 and 93 now and not in good health.) If you guys want to meet anyway, that's ok with me. I'll do it some other time.

Becky, you are a party pooper for sure but I'd like to go ahead with the July date if there is enough interest. I'll start a thread. September is too far out for me to commit with certainty. Perhaps Pam can step up with tracking the guest list and trades. I can manage anything that doesn't require being on the computer since I'm moving around so much. Pam? DH has agreed to do some of the administrative tasks as well. He likes computers.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Good morning y'all. Hope everyone is doing fine? I;'ve been gone for while and wanted to share a photo with you experts. I lost the name tags but would like to know which Lilly kind this is.
Just been in Netherlands for close to 5 weeks, my father was doing very badly and he passed away on May 9. Happily I was able to see and somewhat talk to him a few days before.
Life goes on and I'm picking up the garden pieces where I left them (in a hurry!), Thanks for your help. Here's a photo

Thumbnail by TulipLady
Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi TulipLady,
I'm so sorry about the loss of your Dad. It's wonderful that you were able to see him a final time.

Welcome back to your garden! I'm sure it missed you.
Re:your Daylily. Maybe someone recognizes it, but there are 60,000 named cultivars of daylilies, so it may not happen. :(
I have over a dozen "NoID" daylilies that I got from my late father's garden. He was not big on keeping up with names. The only DL I have that is similar is Pandora's Box, but I don't think yours is that.

Good luck. Maybe you have a receipt from when you bought it where the name is listed? Or maybe even remember where you bought it....if it wasn't too long ago and it's a small operation, they may be able to tell you the name. I was able to ID one that way. The good news is that it's still beautiful!

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Just wanted to pop in and send my condolences to Tulip Lady on the loss of her father. Was privileged to meet her at the Roundup in April at Chris's in Peachtree City. It was my first and I really enjoyed it.

TulipLady, I'm sorry to hear about your father. Your daylilies are beautiful! Do you have a name for them?

I could probably come in August if that's a better date for some. I do know that I am free last weekend in July. I should be back from out of town by then, even if we haven't firm up our vacation yet. Thank you for offering to host Laurel. Looking forward to seeing your beautiful place.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you all for good wishes.
I don't think it is a DL to tell you the truth. I blooms quite long, a week maybe? Something Hemo......

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh Tulip - I am quite sure that it IS a daylily. Maybe you are thinking of the botanical name for daylily, which is Hemerocallis. I misunderstood-- I thought you were wanting to know the specific NAME of that cultivar of daylily. And yes, depending on the number of buds, they can bloom up for 2 weeks. Last year, I had one plant of the daylily "Pixie Poet" that had 70 flower buds on it. I will attach a picture of it this year.

Thumbnail by cedar18
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Cedar, YES ! Hemorocallis. That's it. But it IS a DL???? Dumb me. In Holland we don't grow lillies or dl, you see just too cold. So I am very new to this.
But now that I know this, I WOULD like to know the name of the cultivar. LOL. What do I do when they are done blooming? I take of the spend blooms but after they're all done ..then what? Do you trim down the whole bush, same goes for the Asiatic Lillies,

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes Tulip, that is a daylily's "real name." Re: care. I cut the spent flowers off and then when the whole stalk is done blooming, I cut it down at the base. I leave the foliage until frost kills it back (although I do pull off leaves that have turned brown - which happens a bit throughout the season).

There is a school of thought to cut them back to a few inches after blooming and they'll put out new growth. I only do that if I dig them up in the summer to divide and replant. Then I cut them back so they don't lose so much moisture while trying to re-establish.

Basically just leave them alone and they will do fine. Daylilies are very tough and generally easy to grow in our area. One lesson I learned the hard way: do not mix your hybrid daylilies with the wild "Ditch" lily. It spreads underground (instead of just enlarging the clump size) and will choke out the hybrids. Soon, the mixed planting is all Ditch lilies. I have seen it happen in my dad's gardens after he passed away and was not there to rogue them out. Pretty as they are, they "do not play well with others." So if you want to use them (and they are pretty), grow them in a bed away from your hybrids.

I am new to Asiatic lilies, but I don't plan to cut them "down" or back until the foliage ripens (yellows, browns), whenever that occurs. I think they, like daffodils, need the foliage to ripen so the bulbs can build themselves back up for next year. I do cut off the spent flowers on the Asiatic lilies too (just for neatness!).

Tulip, very sorry to hear about your father. I lost my father last Spring. Spending time in the garden has been very healing for me. Hopefully it will be for you. Looks like you've undertaken a lot of projects since I was at your place.
Laurel

Cedar, I have some of those ditch lilies planted about 4-5ft from the hybrid daylilies, do you think that's OK or do I need to dig those ditch lilies out?

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Coby, So sorry to hear about your father. It was good you got to see him. Your daylily looks a little like my Pandora's Box, but your flowers look bigger. It is beautiful. This is the first year mine has bloomed.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Coby, so sorry to hear of your father's passing. It's good you could see him.
That also looked like Pandora's Box to me too. If the bloom is medium size to smaller. You might want to check the plant files. I don't cut mine back either. Nor the A. Lilies. I do need to clip some irises that I just had to move... not really a good time, but it was necessary..

Elaine

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Lilli- They will eventually march across that distance (and it won't be long, from what I've seen). But it's not like mint: you could put some kind of barrier, maybe 6" or so deep that would keep them in bounds. (Maybe; I haven't tried this - just observing the rootlets reaching out. They don't SEEM too deep, but perhaps they would go deeper if necessary.

I've got thousands of ditch lilies on the banks and drive at Maypop. They form a really tight root mass which makes them difficult to dig out. If you have erosion problems they are perfect, especially on banks. Otherwise, keep the specimen size small and leave room around them to shovel. Don't plant them in several places unless you can ignore them or want another annual maintenance project. :>)

glad you said "erosion". I have a perfect spot for them then!

I've got a few acres for you to dig then.

LOL! I hate digging! Once I plant something, I hope they works out where they are at....

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Yes, maybe I can finally make it up there... lol

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Caladium in focus, Persian Shield in front out of focus.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Sumter, SC

crocosmia and giant dioon

Thumbnail by donnacreation

That caladium is stunning. You have the same foreground/background focus problem I have.

Really pretty, Donna.

Donna, that is pretty. Do you have the 'old fashioned' kind? Just wondering 'cause I was over at my neighbor and she told me she also had the old fashioned kind and it wasn't blooming so I only saw it with buds.

Not a focus problem. That was deliberate. Here is the other way I focused it.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

hcmcdole, what camera do you use? I like both shots, but that caladium is beautiful.

There is a way to get both foreground and background subjects in focus unless you intentionally blur out the background. I can't seem to do it. What lens are you using?

Canon 40D. Yes, the blur was intentional. To get both in sharp focus I would have had to go to a very small aperture (f/16 or smaller), focus at the midway into the scene and possibly use a tripod depending on shutter speed. Lens was a Canon 17-85mm zoom.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Thanks for the info. I need to get up to speed with camera skills. I use my SO's Canon Rebel XT and one of three lenses. I manually focus most photos but have not yet learned to set the aperture. Photography newbie here. :)
Laurel

tiger lily

Thumbnail by LiliMerci
Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Lili - nice shot of the lily.
One in my garden "got me" the other evening when I ventured out in my good clothes. Anyone know how to get out pollen stains?

I have a friend who has white carpets and placed a huge bouquet in a vase on a sofa back table. The pollen drifted to the floor and the damage was permanent. I had a dog who loved to stick her nose in the flowers and then greet me. Oy! Try an overnight soak in hot water, detergent and oxyclean. Don't know if it will work but it works miracles on everything from antique linen to tomato sauce on place mats. It's used as a dye so that's not good news.

If you haven't gotten it wet yet, you could try Dawn dish detergent or Spray and Wash. Do not use warm water as that will set the stain.

Sumter, SC

Hi lili. I bought these as bulbs from a big box store several years. They were simply labeled lucifer. This is my first to bloom this season - I have some in other locations that haven't bloomed yet, and they're the same variety. Does old fashioned crocosmia look different?

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

What beautiful pictures y'all. I just love looking at your beautiful gardens. I hope I can get mine looking half as nice.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.