Share splash of colors from your garden

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

JudyinGA, the front of your house is lovely!! You are going to have so much fun planning your garden. I am in the process of planning mine too as we just moved in last October and I have a clean slate. Plus I moved from VA and gardening down here is so different. I am excited but need to think this out before just sticking things in the ground; which, I'm afraid I have already been doing. I will probably move them before it's all over with. I have already done that with some azaleas. Here's a picture of the front.

Thumbnail by FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Here's a picture of the front of the house.

Thumbnail by FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Picture of the side flower bed.

Thumbnail by FlipFlops
Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Lilli - love the mailbox planting. Does your Zebrina (malva) come back reliably? I planted 3 originally in 2007. Only one comes back and blooms although there are several seedlings around it. None seem to want to get big! I potted up a couple this week to see if that will help prepare them to be put back in the bed.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Lili, I love the mailbox planting too!! I need to do something around my mailbox but afraid I will have to go with mandevilla or lantana since there is so much sun exposure. Any suggestions from y'all??

Cedar, your Cancun lily and Prunella "Summer Daze" is lovely. I love the leaves on the Prunella. Do you have it planted in a shady area?

Ddfisher, the climbing hydrangea is beautiful. I am enjoying everyone's pictures and pretty plants.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have mostly sun. Just a little shade in the morning but after 10am it's in full sun. It's easier to find stuff for the sun than for the shades. You can do Spanish Flag Vines. The bee balms that I have love the sun! Vinca, portaluca, also white yarrow. I noticed you're in Brunswick, are you close enough to the ocean that you need to worry about the salt?

For your zone, defintely a plumeria somewhere in the yard! You are going to have so much fun.

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

FlipFlops I LOVE your house. And what you have done already is lovely. I can just imagine the challenge of the change from Virginia to Brunswick. Heck! You almost might as well be in Florida! At least the soil ... er... sand is easy to dig! :-) Can't wait to see the photos as you progress.

Nicole I love your mailbox plantings. And there's those black hollyhocks we were talking about earlier. So cottage-y!

kd, your hosta garden looks so cool and inviting. I love shade gardens and hope to have a couple myself when all is said and done.

Everybody's stuff looks great!

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Flipflop - the Prunella is in full sun and seems quite happy. I have to agree with Judy: sometimes when digging in clay, sandy soil sounds pretty sweet!

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

I really can't describe this soil. Not as sweet as I thought it would be. We are the 4th house from the marsh and the only way I can describe it is "mushy" The builder hauled in quite a bit of fill dirt to raise our yard and for some reason, in my flower beds is a lot of sand. Sometimes I have to dig down 3 or 4 inches to get to the dark stuff (whatever it is) HA HA As I mentioned before, quite different from the clay we had in VA. I really don't know if plants do very well in the sand. My day lillies may be getting their feet too wet. Quite a bit of rain drains off this high pitched roof of ours down into that bed. My hubby put a drain under the sidewalk to the other side to help. I might have to section off some of the bed and raise it somehow. I need to wait and see how it does this summer through this Georgia heat and our sudden thunderstorms.

cedar, I forgot to answer your question. Yes, the zebrina does come back. I usually collect their seeds, just in case they don't come back. They do really well if you put them in good soils and full sun. Some coffee ground will help them along early in the spring. You can still start them now from seeds. They grow faster in the ground than in the container. I tried to grow them in the container last year and they were slow, but once you put them in the ground, they go crazy!

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Lili - That is not my experience. I seem to have a really light green thumb when it comes to this easy to grow plant! Mine is yellow now and looking sickly while everything around it is fine.

But to prove I can grow some things, here is one of my daylily beds with the star being "Superlative" - a huge red that really is!

Thumbnail by cedar18

I love the Superlative (you gave me). Mine are not blooming yet. It did bloom last year and it was beautiful! You are too funny - light green thumb! ROFL! Did you give me the Siloam Double Classic too?

This message was edited Jun 8, 2010 12:34 PM

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Lili- I'm glad you like "Superlative." It is very robust - makes huge clumps. That is just 3 plants in the picture and they produce dozens of flowers.
Yes, I was probably your "source" for S. Double Classic at our DG RoundUp. The reason I was giving some of "her" up was a color issue (and a space issue). I bought 3 fans of that and when it bloomed, while beautiful, it was not the right color for the planned spot in the garden. It's a peachy-pink, I think, and didn't look right with my purple coneflowers. I did keep one plant of SDC for my DL collection!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Cedar, DLs 'Pixie Poet' and 'Marci' are getting ready to bloom bigger and better here at Maypop this year. Love them! Also the sedum and blue fescue have been happy pot plants. Coreopsis rosea has spread very willingly and blooms freely. Thanks much for beautifying Maypop garden (and here I was thinking it's all about tomatoes, beans and zucchini). lol
Laurel

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh Laurel, good to hear from you! I fell off the DG scope for a while: work and injuries/shoulder surgery. But I'm back!!

I'm so glad my Daylily "children" and other plants have good homes and are behaving themselves.

We should do another Round uP soon.

There was one in the spring but I couldn't go because my daughter had an orchestra concert.

Sumter, SC

sangria crinum lily and blue dune lyme grass

Thumbnail by donnacreation

Pam, I'm willing to host here at Maypop if I'm able. Realizing that Cleveland, GA is a bit far north for some, it could be a mini-RU. However, those who are more than a stone's throw might enjoy a weekend stay in the N.GA mountains. There are a bunch of us DGrs, Atlanta and northward, who never seem to make it to a RU. I had semi-volunteered with Brennan last year, but Brennan had emergencies arise and I went to FL to take care of my terminally ill Dad.

I would need someone to manage the computer end of things...trade and guest lists, etc. I'm not very online motivated and fall off the chat site wagon with regularity. When are you thinking? My garden is chaos by Fall, but what the hey. :)

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Laurel, I can do the computer stuff for you no problem. I'd love to visit Maypop again. Speaking of which, here's the gooseneck loosestrife you gave me. Its doing well.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

A closeup of the loosestrife flowers.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Daylilies are really pretty this year. Here's Daring Deception.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Frankly Scarlet.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Eenie Fanfare. First year blooming for this little one.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Ditch lily

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Spiderwort (closes up by mid-afternoon)

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Maypop (passion vine) from Maypop (where else...)

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Coneflowers.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Bee Balm

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Black Knight butterfly bush. The other butterfly bushes are also blooming, but no pics. I really need to get one of the honeycomb one. Its really pretty this year.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Forgot to say ... beautiful pictures everyone. I wish my yard was as artistic and neat. Mine is a jungle right now. That's why I only take pics of individual flowers LOL. I see lots of plants I'd like to swap for, but I've sworn off adding anything until I get things under control. (Like that's going to happen.)

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

beclu727, love all your beautiful flowers!! I wish I had a butterfly bush like that. I had a beautiful one about 8 or 9 feet tall next to my clothesline in VA. It smelled so good and was loaded with butterflies. I have been planting a lot but have slowed down now since the weather is getting really hot and humid. Guess I'll just have to go to the beach. Do start beach turtle patrol at night next week!!!

Becky, come visit me at Maypop any time. Well, anytime I'm here. I've been spending a lot of time in the garden alone 'cause DH has taken only three days off from work in the past two months. We can compare our Camparis! The loosestrife looks great. You don't need to worry about the yard. It will cover everything in a few years. That's what's happening with the wild sweetheart roses posted below. And your Maypop; mine don't even have buds yet.

My butterfly bush has turned yellow and looks virused. I was checking it out today and noticed zillions of fine webs. Spider mites I think. How can that be with all this rain. Plus, nothing else is affected. Darnedest thing.
Laurel

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

I love the loosestrife flowers. How cool looking!

My butterfly bush died last year when we had so much rain pouring out to that area. My red bee balms are blooming like crazy. I saw someone posted some hot pink ones, I want those!

Can't remember if I posted this, but here is my mailbox plants, from the backside - red bee balms, malva Zebrina, gerber daisies (got 'em almost dead at Lowe's for $1.25), vincas, black hollyhocks, clematus purpurea. Can't see the front, but I have white yarrow, blue balloon flowers and peonies (already done blooming). Waitint to see if the yellow four o'clock are going to come up. The yarrow might have choked it out!

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

Nicole, I'd be glad to share some loosestrife with you and have lots of four o'clocks if you want seed for next year. Mine re-seed each year and I think some even come back from the old tubers under mulch. Never know what colors but I think when they sprout leaves with purple undertones the flowers are going to be pinks and reds. They're really easy to transplant too. I can also give you butterfly bush because mine are always reseeding. Your mailbox looks awesome!

A path of volunteer cosmos in the veggie garden is just starting to bloom. I am picking snow peas, lettuce, radishes, arugula, parsley, dill, yellow squash, mustard, beet and chard greens and green cabbage.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Laurel and Becky,
I'm glad Becky stepped up! I feel overwhelmed with work and family commitments right now.

Laurel - what a hoot about your volunteer Cosmos! I can't MAKE it grow. I just do not have luck with direct seeding. And since I mulch most beds, there is not a lot of reseeding going on (although some plants like Cleome manage).
RE: Goosestrife. Does it spread by creeping like Jap. Anemones or by seeds or both? It's beautiful. Could it be contained with some sort of edging?

Bee balm- I have "Blue Stocking" and "Raspberry Wine.". I'd be happy to pot up some if anyone wants a particular color. My petite pink did not overwinter.

ooh, the blue stocking is beautiful. I hope you will collect seeds from this fellow.

Laurel, I would love some loostrife.

Very exciting to hear about an RU in Maypop.

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

Love this large crinum lily! - especially being by the maple and daylily.

Thumbnail by Artgal

my crinium lily have never bloomed. I may need to move it.

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh, so it's loosestrife, beclu? I've always misidentified it as white obedient plant - which is how it was given to me. I am finding it a tad invasive right now.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Artgal, what a pretty grouping.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.