May weather, Memorial Day!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

New thread.

Just finished watching MN Twins defeat Texas. Another hit parade for the Twins.

What's everyone doing this weekend?
I will be planting out Muskmelon in the morning, then going to DD to help put a door in their house.

And Eat!

Bernie

(Zone 7a)

I got new wplants I need to put in the ground. Red Autumn Salvia and maroon colored English Daisies. I'll get a pic later. 60º

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hot and dry here today.
We hit near 90 again.
No breeze. It was 95° on the back patio.
We have most of the new plants in the ground.
Watering VERY heavily.

Raw milk sale in or delivery to Ohio is illegal.
Raw milk cheese is legal but strictly regulated.
Sale of non-homogenized milk is strictly regulated too.
Some counties it's legal but they can't sell it over the county lines.
Can't imagine drinking raw milk now.... though I did as a kid.
Cows are never a sanitary animal in the best conditions, let alone after running in a pasture.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Yep, definitely will be watering this weekend, with the 8% humidity and all.

pictures from the Arboretum
some kind of little tree

Thumbnail by Kelli

artichoke

Thumbnail by Kelli

jacaranda tree

Thumbnail by Kelli
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

My all time favorite Little Rascals line.

It might have choke Artie, but it ain't gonna choke Stymie!

Ric

LOL! I Ithink that one would choke a horse.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It got hot and sunny today but humidiy wasn't too bad.

Cooled off tonight to the point where it was bearable. Had a suprise birthday party to go to tonight and we were glad when the sun went down!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yes I'm not looking forward to tomorrows picnic.
Doesn't start till 3PM.....
But hey it could be raining....lol!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Have a Great Memorial Day week end! :D

Mau, He's catering! But he just can't quit running into my 'boot'! LOL!

Thumbnail by music2keep
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Ric, ROTFL over the Smurf! Laughter is the best medicine next to sleep! Maybe I'm in DeNial.

Celia, a beautiful little rose! I've been meaning to start mini roses somewhere. I just love them.

Joey, glad we're all regrouping after a sad event. I sure missed you here! We bought McAfee with our new computers and haven't had a pproblem. It's caught a few things trying to get in. I hope you get it cleaned up! Oh Joey! I hope it heals ok. I am so sorry! Dang it anyway!! I love to see the insides of the iris! They are suprisingly pretty. I love the subtle color with the orange beard.

Kelli, Ellie Mae Clampett on the Beverly Hillbillies. We blame all culinary mistakes on her :o) Apparently the neighbors adopted the rose. It's a pretty one!

Marsue, reading your comments about the babies, I was imagining the squeaks and tiny noises they make. Orange is my favorite flower color this year and both of those made me feel good. Very pretty! And I love the orangy undertones of Stella too. I don't find them overused, but some people think so. I say they just don't look close enough! Gypsy is anice rose!

Bernie, DD raises a few chickens so we get fresh eggs. You sure can tell the age on store-bought if they peel easy. I've taken to poaching eggs I want to use in potato salad because it's impossible to not peel off a layer of white with the fresh. I'm glad the Market is going well! It's becoming the trend now to grow your own or at least buy home grown. I'm glad. I think the world needs to take a step back.

Joey, beige. Yep, that's different! I'm starting to get interested in the Gnu and Wildebeast streaking.

Bernie, thank you much for the new thread. I think I'm going to sit around this weekend and get over whatever I have.

Kelli, love the little yellow tree. I never knew artichokes were so pretty. I've never grown one. Cool! Wow, I wish I had that tree planted beside a redbud tree. What a combo that would make!

Laughing over the artie jokes!

Oh Joey, big boy haircut and adorable! He grew up overnight! I can't help but laugh. I'll bet that boot sticking out looks just like something to just push out of the way.

Well, it's 87° and getting hot. The mosquitos and gnats are out. I let DH mow MY yard yesterday, so you know I wasn't feeling good.

My final diagnosis is:

After we took the boys home yesterday, I crawled into bed for a nap. I can't sleep in the day unless I'm sick. Slept on the arm, so I pinpointed the pain to the outer elbow. I can feel the bones move when I twisted my arm. That explains not making the fist or lifting it. Both almost gone today. My sinus is the headache and it's barely there, but there. I took aspirin to keep it down and used the neti pot. I watered for my neighbor this morn and picked and froze spinach. I see bolting buds already. Dang. I froze the leftover spinach and asparagus, but Ball canning says use them in a couple of weeks or the flavor degrades. That's ok. That works for me.

DH is inventing a better pump handle because it's hard on his arm too. We have a short handle. He's heating and bending PCV pipe to fit over the handle and he just about has it. It aint purty, but neither am I when I can't do things :o)

We have a 20% chance of rain this afternoon and a better one tonight, Right now the rain is barely into NW Iowa.

DH grilled bacon wrapped pork loins. Oh, were they good!! Smart me had him do 6, so we have leftovers :o)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We're looking for a brighter color.....

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sun glasses ALERT

Thumbnail by henryr10
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Afternoon!
Ric, LOL! about needing glasses! LOL! But it's a beautiful piece! Red is such a rich color. :D
Sally, thanks about the Iris...I just wish I knew what it's name is. I think I heard once that the bulbs that were infected w/a certain virus had the streaks. I thought it was quite interesting. As far as JW pushing my boot out of the way...he's tripping over it! I tend to prop it up on the toe (I remind myself of a horse! LOL) when I'm in front of the sink or range & when he runs by, he trips. Do your GK's run everywhere? JW wears me out just watching him.
Kelli, There's nothing more beautiful than that Artichoke bloom! Wow! I have never seen that! Quite unique. :D
Celia, I'm interested in seeing those maroon Daisey's! Got pics? And that little baby is absolutely adorable! Precious! I know you & Darrell are so pleased/proud/excited! She is such a cutie petutie!

Well, going to go out & enjoy the heat! It's actually clouding up a little, which makes it a little more tolerable.

Grammy's little helper, but I can't let him near the water hose...or I get soaked & laughed at!

Thumbnail by music2keep
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Ric, that color is fantastic! I wouldn't change a thing!

Joey, laughing over the ''horse leg.'' Yep, I can see him tripping over it now! My Grandkids don't stop. Try and wear them out. I chase, rassle, walk, give them rakes and shovels. Nothing! I did learn that if you teach little boys to dig in the garden, start in the middle or the dirt will be everywhere else. Best thing is let them dig for worms in the compost pile :o)

Little gardener is so cute. Just make sure to get squirted with the warm water that comes out of the hose first! Then run for the house!

We watered more this afternoon. DH's sister and husband stopped by so sitting was a must. Dad rode his bike up later, so sit some more. The bees are trying to drink from the birdbath and the pump. I poured fine sand in an old skillet and wet it down. I don't know if they will like it, but I don't want drowned bees in the birdbath.

It's 91° and we were lucky to cloud up most of the day.

The virus causing streaking - that is in certain old tulip varieties. They don't sell them anymore, at least not in the U.S.

Sally, I went through an orange phase when we first moved here, but people who has lived here before had planted all different colors of things, so we don't really have a predominant color.

As hot here as any place else

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on May 30, 2010
88 °F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 22%
Dew Point: 45 °F
Wind: 9 mph from the East

(Zone 7a)

I have time for one or two pics that were asked for. Here are the English Daisies and they're about the size of a dime.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Warm today. 68º with 80º for tomorrow. Yippee!!!

The Salvia. The pink flowers just to the right of Buddha.

This message was edited May 30, 2010 4:27 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Hot and breezy. But the breeze isn't here at the house. LOL. It's a few miles from here.

In a couple weeks I will be doing a softball tournament with some of my coworkers against other stores. We had pratice today and let me tell you, we really stink!!! LOL!!!

DIfferent dianthus. The dark one on the right is Amazon Duo or something like that.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Beautiful Blooms!!!!

Love the little Gardener!

The color used is 'Candy Apple Red' in Premium Satin from Behr.
Probably should have used a grey tint primer but....

Hot, close and humid here today. Near 90°
As we work outside all the time and don't use AC we were quite comfortable.
T-Storms on tap for the next few days.... just like in August!

Here's a nice subtle shed at the garden we toured.
This is a personal garden on a quiet suburban lot... not a professional or "Private Garden".

Thumbnail by henryr10
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Such a beautiful shed!
It's cloudy today, but warm, 80F. One more day before I leave to see my DGS!
I've already planted the rest of my seedlings in the garden which my neighbor will water while we're away. another friend will come for the pots I have inside and for feeding the fish in the tank.
My DD told me the milk is in the tank..yeah for Nicholas!LOL
I have strawberries rippening.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Adina what a wonderful time you will have.
Take lots of Hankies....

Here's another from yesterday

Thumbnail by henryr10
Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

Can anyone guess how hot it is here already?? hahahahaha... we are in the 90's & it's goign to get to 106 by the weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not going to enjoy this summer!!!!! DH & I have a butterfly field trip this Sat. so I hope that by the time we are there & done it's not too hot.. we go in the am & have usually had enough by noon. DH has a bad knee so after awhil it starts to bother him so that's when we leave.

We had a very short rain storm yesterday evening..the winds picked up pretty fast & fierce then it rained heavily, like hail, for about a 1/2 hr then the sun came out!! hahaha

Hot, not much of a breeze and sunny. Nough said. LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well we were hot but not terribly so today.
The rain just started about 30 minutes ago.
Temps are dropping fast.
It went from 85° to 70° in about 15 minutes.

Temps will be above average and T-Storms all week.
But we should have night time lows near normal at about 60° so sleeping will be nice!

Our new blank canvas.
Actually I have the trim finished and we've started the art project.
As I said once the baby birds were gone it wouldn't take long.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 7a)

I'm behind again. Geez... It was warm today, 75º-ish. A lovely day.

My neighbors peonies.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Ah, Ric ~ I LOVE "The Little Rascals"...I rented all of them from Netflix and watched them again and still laughed. Gosh, how could you even remember what they said? (Well, I couldn't...LOL!)

Enrico - right?

Yesterday - High 75°, Low 40°...Today High 70° Partly cloudy off and on breezy. So it will be summer by the weekend...what happened to spring? We got snow in May and now the heat will arrive. My poor tomatoes are trying to adapt...some did not make it.

The oversize rodents...(taken May 11th!)

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Government livestock.

Nice day yesterday. Helped SIL get started on siding a wall of their house.
Watched MN Twins last night. They are getting into a groove now. Going to be hard to beat from here on. 3 Home Runs! Another good pitching performance.

Getting ready for market. I have some Strawberries to take today.

Bernie

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL Bernie! How True!

Evelyn I remembered that line but w/ time I had it wrong.
So I googled it.
I remembered it as "It may may choke Artie but it ain't gonna choke me" lol!

We had a nice rain last evening.

(Zone 7a)

54.5 °F with 65º for the high.
Light Rain
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 48 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.92 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 3300 ft
Overcast 4500 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4269 ft

Dr. Rupple clematis opening.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Kelli, I can't wait to see what color I like next year.

Love the flowers pictures!

Ric, love the suble shed. Wow! The hostas and bence are a nice peaceful picture. Thanks for the link. I sat there with my hand on my heart and tears in my eyes. Very moving.

Adina, beautiful berries! Dad brought some of his up on his birthday. Delicious! Safe trip!! I'm so happy for you!

Cindylove, I don't know how people deal with those temps. We get hot and humid here and I find each year I can't take the heat anymore. I hope you had a good butterfly sighting.

Ric and Robyn, I would be so proud of the shed!! It's wonderful!!

Celia, taking shots of the neighbors flowers, eh? Very pretty!

Evelyn, you had one of those disappointing Springs too. We had nice weather off and on. Then it was too cold, now it's too hot. We only get to keep windows open about a week anymore. Today we're closed up and the curtains closed. What are the deer waiting to nibble on?

Bernie, you got that right!!

Celia, I love the curled edges that make it look frosted.

I'm better today. I'm making myself better. I despise going to the Doctor!

It's going to get hot. We had wonderful thunder, lightning and a tiny bit of rain yesterday. Perfect for me to go lay down and try to catch up on lost sleep. I think I'm caught up now. If I can lose the headache, I'll be done with this. The arm is fine.

82* and sunny. I need to go out before it gets too hot. Our mosquitos seem to be dying off. I hardly got bit this morning picking spinach.

See ya later!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I used to watch the Little Rascals and loved them--haven't seen them in years and in spite of what some of you might think--No, I wasn't around when they came out originally! ROFLOL I like to watch old movies--much better than some of the trash that Hollywood calls "entertainment" today!

BP: glad you are better. I hate going to the doctor, too. I go to the cardiologist once a year--other than that, I have only been to the doctor 3 times in the last four years--twice for poison ivy and once for a, guess what?--sinus infection!!!! (It wouldn't go away despite all my positive thinking!)

It is just plain HOT, HOT, HOT around here--way too hot for June 1st--even for the south! and humid, too! ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH! I hope this doesn't last all summer--maybe nature is just playing a horrible joke on us and plans to reward us in July and August with cooler than normal temps! LOL

I posted this on that other site but for those of you who don't go there, here is a bloom from Jacob Cline Monarda. I think this is one of my all-time favorites--I just am intrigued by the bloom on this plant!

Thumbnail by marsue
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Oh my! It up to 93* now....

I don't feel well as I did mow 2 days ago...

Hostas (took pix last May 20)

Thumbnail by JuJu55

How 'bout a new thread? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1103478/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.