(51 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Athletic or tennis shoes.
(107 votes, 30%)
Red dot

Crocs or clogs.
(108 votes, 30%)
Red dot

My favorite garden shoe is none at all. I go barefoot!.
(46 votes, 13%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

I wear the flip flop Crocs. I can just hose my feet off when I'm done.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Well, the crocs and clogs used to be my favorite, but I had to have orthotics back in the winter, so now it is only tennis shoes. I love to go barefooted, but the dr just shakes his head no, when I mention it.

New Waverly, TX(Zone 8b)

In California, I used to go barefoot. Since moving to fire ant territory, I make sure my feet are covered!!!!!

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Not really boots, but serious work shoes for police officers and others who are on their feet alot. My feet are princesses and need all the coddling they can get. But the black brogan look is not exactly a fashion statement!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

It actually varies for me, since getting a dog I don't go barefoot anymore.
I wear mule type sneakers or sandals, depends on the type of work I'm doing. I've worn boots to do heavy duty digging.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I'm afraid I'm in the same boat as defoecat. 2 broken ankles in a car wreck a couple of years ago has seriously cut down on my barefoot days. Only heavy duty, orthopedic tennis shoes for me now. (I prefer barefoot)

Winter Haven, FL(Zone 9b)

Barefoot! No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem! (Plus, the wife is always getting on to me for tracking in dirt so i just don't wear them! Dip my feet in the pool before I come inside!

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Broke my foot *walking* in the garden two years ago. The ER nurse asked...barefoot or sandles? ...barefoot....
Ever since then I try to have some ankle support but my favorite is my knock-off croc clogs!

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Barefoot in the house, but I slip into crocs when I go outside. I just hose them and my feet off when I'm ready to go back inside.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I wear tennis shoes. No bare feet. There's too much to step on, or rather avoid stepping on, and I can't work the shovel barefoot. Wearing sandals didn't work that well since I was always getting dirt and junk between them and my feet. Like Cedar, I have princess feet. I can't even walk across rough concrete. When I was a kid, I'd go barefoot and they wouldn't toughen up. I think I'm just hopeless. It isn't wet or muddy often enough to need boots.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Love my crocs, have 4 pair.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Clogs I can understand, but how do you wear crocodiles?

Baffled!

Resin

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Crocs are a brand of washable garden shoes that people find quite comfy: http://www.crocs.com/home/homepage,default,pg.html?adid=google_ppc_0_Footwear-BrandedTerms_Brand&gclid=CIihp8zm66ECFQK8sgodGCgUYA

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Barefoot as soon as the ground is slightly warm until mid-autumn. Otherwise slip-on tennies or pull-on boots (depending on the weather and chore at hand). Sometimes flip-flops, although those tend to get the boot after a very short time. Can't get past the goofiness of plastic shoes, no matter how comfy folks claim they are. And, yes, I've stepped on my share of slugs and poo - it all washes off.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Clogs for walking the yard or minor weed pulling and planting. Anything that needs a shovel requires tennis shoes or boots. If I didn't have to worry about getting stung so much I would walk barefoot but I gave that up when I was a kid due to getting stung so often. Plus I never know when a snake will decide to hang around. I'm not giving them access to my feet!!! LOL

(Zone 1)

Well ... I voted for Croc's or Clogs. I start out wearing my Croc's but after a short while I end up throwing them in the pool because they are so dirty, then I'm barefoot the rest of the day!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I used to wear garden clogs out there. I can't wear crocs in the garden (despite my love of them) because some areas of my cottage-style flower garden can be too wet after a rain and water would seep in through the holes around the edges of the crocs.

Now I wear boots out there because I'm a little unnerved about snakes.

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

I do heavy spading just about every time I'm working: weeding out new beds, transplanting, harvesting root crops, moving compost or mulch, etc. I like my work boots. I do, however, need a new pair. Mine are a half size too small & no longer waterproof, but they've lasted me 12 yrs. That's good enough. :-)

Olympia, WA

boots when using a shovel
crocs when doing anything else

never go barefoot - too many bad possibilities out here in the wild country

South Hamilton, MA

I wear Rockport walking shoes (sort of like a strong tennis shoe). If it is too cold or very wet I shift to my Bean Boots. They are a brand of boots from L.L. Bean for the information of people across the pond.

Sandals (Birkenstocks), unless I'm doing heavy digging work in which case it's tennis shoes. Or when I'm at my friend's house (she has fire ants ...), then I wear the tennis shoes too.

Saint Petersburg, FL

Definitely my croc-knockoffs.

Sturdy enough for garden tasks, easy to hose off, and the air holes that make wearing shoes on Florida bearable.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I'd prefer to be barefoot, but found sneakers to be more practical. Also, the sneakers keep my feet and toenails looking good to wear sandals outside of the garden.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Anything that exposes the feet is pretty much out of the question around here. My husband didn't heed my advice to wear sneakers while mowing the lawn until the day he stepped in a fire ant hill.

I've managed to keep the fire ants in control the past few years but they seem worse this spring, maybe because the lawn is due for a nematode treatment. Even my poor golden retriever has a couple of bites on his paws. :(

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

I voted for boots because they are very supportive for my arthritic feet plus we have nasty ants that really bite.:-(

Merced, CA(Zone 9a)

I definitely prefer barefoot most of the time when the weather is good, though sometimes I'll put on flip-flops. But when I need to use the shovel, then on come the tennies!

Oconomowoc, WI(Zone 4b)

Hello All,
I go barefoot a good 98% of the time after it's remotely decent enough to do so. Winter is a long season here, and I'm glad to shuck the foot gear unless positively necessary.
Much of my heavy work is done by this time of the year - the rest is done with my very favorite tool The Trowel. If shoes must be worn I offer the laughingstock of all 'gardenwear'. I've been more than grateful for their years of service, especially when using a garden fork!
They're not cute, waterproof or fashionable, and yep, that's duct tape. But I can go through mud, compost or worse and not care what they come out lookin' like - nearly anything would be an improvement!

This message was edited May 25, 2010 12:09 PM

Thumbnail by temafilly
Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Depends on what I am doing. I perfer barefoot but fire ants put a stop to that most of the time. Usually I wear sandals for light work but if I am digging, I wear old tennis shoes. I am a barefoot gal in the house and only wear shoes when absolutely necessary outdoors except when the weather is cool.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Depends on what I'm doing.
Flip flops when I'm just doing light work, but Sperry's when I'm digging up big things. They all stay outside near the front, side and back doors. When I go back inside, I take off the shoes to help keep my hardwood floors clean. Not that it works...we are two blocks from the beach and have two dogs....
Barb

Houston, TX

I guess I'm just lucky. fire ant stings last about 5 or 10 seconds and even stepping on a wasp only lasts about 5 minutes then it's back out there barefoot again

Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

Crocs for me-- the "off-road" type with the thicker soles & closed toes. Lucky enough to have a "outlet" in Branson.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

Barefoot=hookworms
Crocs=Noooooooo! No grown-up should be caught in them. The only good excuse is if you are physically unable to put/tie regular shoes on.
Sandals=Have tried from time to time, but I don't like how dirty my feet get.
Athletic shoes or boots=way to go.

All the above is intended jokingly, please don't get offended. My friends and family wear crocs and I pick on them, and they make sure they wear them around me. Subsequently have several pair they've given me. Although I have seen some new flats that are very cute-might wear those.

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

OK, all you croc lovers,

I own a pair that i wear for rainy days...'cause they're waterproof. I wore them today to the garden 'cause ya all raved about them in this forum as garden shoes.

1) They do not breathe. My feet were roasting.
2) I normally get dirt in my boots, but it was 3x the usual. There is only so much detergent in the world.
3) They lack insoles & are hard as rocks. My feet hurt like heck.

They are hard enough to dig, & they are waterproof, but I'm going back to my boots unless it's cold out & I'm only doing light work.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I live in cactus country. I make sure that I have on my athletic shoes and socks!

Burleson, TX(Zone 7b)

I Try to resist barefoot, but most of the time I am. Some of our spider bites can be really tough though. And toenails are not pretty after gardening. I tell myself I am just going to fill the hummingbird nectar, and clip & rearrange a few things. Then the joy of impromptu gardening takes over and is irresistible!

Olympia, WA

temafilly - your PHOTO is wonderful - love it!!!!!!!!

What is this stuff about adults not wearing crocs??? Huh????? I would stand right up there with my white hair and wrinkles and tell you how wonderful they were when my son took me to DIsneyworld!!!! I also wore them to walk the entire lake front in Chicago. Ditto - for a Carnival cruise!!!! I am not here to impress anyone, but I am determined to keep my feet happy!!!!!

So - crocs are not about age. They are about comfort and like anything else, they are NOT for everyone. Yes - the ones with holes will leak water and dirt - but your feet don't bake in those. This isn't a "one size fits all" situation.

If I am worried about water or dirt, there are other solutions. I don't have fire ants. I appreciate the differences with which we all deal......I get it!!!!

Happy feet!!!

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

I went for sports shoes but often wear flip-flops, last year I got snake bit so I'm a little more careful now!

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Jon, good to see you again! Just realized it had been a long time. Guess we must not be hitting the same forums lately. How's the family? How's the garden? LOL

And just to stay on-topic, when I INTEND to work in the garden, I put on an old, battered pair of athletic shoes that have clearly seen their better days. More often, though, I just step outside to let the dog out, or check on something I spied through the window, and end up staying out for a couple of hours, in whatever shoes (or slippers) I had on at the time. :) I've ruined some nice shoes that way!

Angie

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I checked off "sandals" but I really wear Reefs brand flip-flops, so I can just hose off. Have to watch the toes, however, when I'm using the shovel! ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.