Rooted leaf cuttings

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ(Zone 7a)

I was wondering when you start a new plant (succulents) from a leaf. When is the appropriate time to cut off the leaf? Or do you just leave the mother leaf alone and a natural process will follow. I am so confused. I have many different types and varieties all with new growth from the leaf, some have new plants and no roots, some have just roots, othrs have both. They are all still tiny and babies right now. So what do I do and how do I do it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanking you in advance,
Holly

Valley Village, CA

Holly, its just a general rule, after they flower and the flowers are dried up. The other good rule is when the weather warms up. Winter growers, Haworthia, Gasteria when it cools down, and if you know your Sedum well, many like the cool weather as well. Sans. when its warm, or greenhouse growing anytime. Kalanchoe and Cotledon both like it warm. Echeveria, I started mine during the summer time from the leaves on the flower stalk. I have recently tried the Jades, no luck, So they must like the spring as well, after they have flowered. Aeonium I will be starting as soon as the weather cools off, they are winter growers.
I think the lesson here is each species may have a different schedule according to their individual DNA and we are not going to change it. Holly ask about each indivual species when you are ready to cut the plant back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.