Apropos of Nothing v.13

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1093066/

This thread can't be derailed because there's no topic. HA!

Thanks again Steve for making it possible for me to attend to my thread. :)

Just so the header will have a thumbnail, here's my baby 'Vulcan' rhodie, now blooming happily. :)

Thumbnail by the1pony
Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Vulcan is very pretty!

I'm getting ready to prep my prom flowers. The good news is that there will be lots of pretty flowers left over for Sunday's festivities!

I have some girls with great dresses this year which will allow me to live up to the nickname they gave me in floral school - bodacious blooms! I have one with a turquoise wristband and a hot pink peony. Another with a turquoise band (it was a popular color this year) and absolutely drop-dead gorgeous chocolate orchids. That one also gets a white peony.

Another girl told me her dress was red, blue, orange, and yellow. I told her I needed to see it before I do the flowers. Lordy, I hope it's not as bad as it sounds!

I have a black and hot pink dress. I bought a celosia for it. Really going out on a limb with that one! I'll have some spray roses put aside just in case she doesn't like it. I've seen that dress and it's darling. Any girl who picked that out surely will go for a vibrant pink/orange celosia, won't she?!?!?

Okay, off I go....

There are the usual white with silver, please. I'll do those first to get them out of the way.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh, Gwen - I'm looking forward to seeing them . . . will you post pictures, do you think?

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

What a fun thing! When my boys were at the dance stage in HS, I experimented with corsages a bit and found them rather fun, although I just did it for the 'minor' events - the girls seemed to like them.

When my older son got married, his wife choose specific flowers for each bridesmaid to match her strengths - a bit woo-woo. My cousin, a bit tight-laced, did the flowers. Cousin Jean had definite ideas on what was 'proper' for weddings...and balancing football sized hydrangeas against delicate sweet peas in adjacent bouquets was a definite stretch for her. She rose to the occasion, though, and everyting was lovely. I also had a wonderful time working with grandma-in-law (?) to pull together the reception table bouquets. We started out so tentative and ended up just throwing flowers together into canning jars willy-nilly, laughing all the while. Good memories - but bittersweet now that son and wife are splitting up (dang).

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

This message was edited May 13, 2010 6:09 AM

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Yes, I'll post pics. I have pics on FB from last year's prom.

Bonehead, I'm sorry to hear your son is splitting from his wife. Must be a hard time. My youngest son's long-time girlfriend broke up with him last month. I was crushed - just a month before prom! What was she thinkig?!?!? They both have other dates, and I do like the new date but I loved his old girlfriend. I'm doing her corsage as well. She's the one getting the turquoise bracelet and chocolate orchids.

I love the florist's hydrangeas. They last so much nicer than the garden variety. Here's a fairly recent arrangement I did with some white ones. Only one of them shows up in this photo. I like to stick other flowers right into the hydrangea. They are just luscious!

Thumbnail by Gwendalou

Ooooh- pretty. :)

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Bye-bye slugs. Traps still working!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Gwen, the boquet is beautiful!

I too used to play with corsages and thought it was great fun. Still have a box full of dried ones somewhere I think.

Bea, your pic is lovely too in a disgusting sort of way... PBR looks like it is the drink of choice for the little buggers.

Regarding my racoon from the last thread, I honestly don't think that he was diseased. I got a pretty good up close and personal look at him when he went back into the tree, and other than being dazed from such a long fall, he looked in perfect health. The "ruckus" was a bunch of debris falling out of the tree. It looks to me like he had found a squirrel nest that he was raiding and the nest gave way out from under him, which would explain the tumble of an animal who typically wouldn't.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I simply cannot make up my mind where to plant my 5 evergreen huckleberries. Anyone got experience with these? Apparently they can take sun OR shade and, depending on conditions, can be 3x3' or 10x10'.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

If they are like our natives, they fruit best in sun or dappled sun.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I just stuck my nose close to the 'jacob's ladder' and wow does it smell good. All three are blooming together and each has a slightly different shade of purple.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

This message was edited May 13, 2010 3:59 PM

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I think this is the right picture that shows all three. I have two more that aren't blooming yet.

Well no! I know I took one.

This message was edited May 13, 2010 4:01 PM

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Willow, that's helpful. Off to scout the sunny spots ...

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Ok this is it. It was still in the camera

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Here's a pritty one of a hosta coming up.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

And the anemone and bergenia

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

And the Lewisa is blooming

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I took all my baby plants out for the day, for the first time. They are getting so big. Kym, those little tomatoes are about eight inches tall and one has a little bloom on it.

We went to the dermatologist last Wednesday and now we both have to go back on the 25th to have basal cell removed. It is DH's fifth one and my first. But I sure don't regret spending my life outside in the sun. Tis a small price to pay.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I agree, Willow. Plus you certainly don't LOOK as if you abused our native sunlight.

Kymm, I've really been enjoying your lettuces, too.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi summer. Smoking and sunshine sure doesn't help anything though.

I also planted seeds outside today. The daylilies RJ sent and some Beahive sent last fall. Plus some cosmos I had

This message was edited May 13, 2010 4:40 PM

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I've read that cats can be attracted to Jacob's Ladder (polemonium). Has anyone experienced this? I have never noticed my cats pay any attention to it. They do like their catnip, and occasionally lay in the catmint, but totally ignored the cat grass I planted one year. Perhaps, like people, they all have their vice of choice.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I don't grow Polemonium, but my cats are attracted to some grasses and to members of the mint (salvia/agastache/mint/catmint) family . . .

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

My cats have dug up every kiwi I ever tried to plant, and then dragged the lifeless bodies all over the place.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

!

Redmond, WA

My cat loves grass, mint, carrot and celery leaves...

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Speaking of carrots - I saw a piece on the news about Water Hemlock, the most poisonous plant in North America. Looks a lot like a carrot -

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2010/05/10/1421715/bellingham-man-warns-others-after.html

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I've never seen my cat on the JL but Mindy sat on the pot before it came up, to get herself in the sun. She likes to sit on plants.

That piece on Water Hemlock was in the Tacoma Tribune also. We have a lot of it in Mason Co. and dealt with is a lot in Master Gardeners.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

There's a lot of sitting on things in my yard, too. :-)

I didn't realize that there was so much of it - or that it looked so much like parsley, carrots, etc.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

These are blooming now, right? I was just about to ask whether anyone knew the name of the current roadside plant that looks like Queen Anne's lace on steroids.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

We have a lot of Queen Anne's Lace, though, too. Unfortunately there are quite a few of these plants with white flowers . . .

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

How someone who's into "local foods" could confuse them with a carrot, however, is a mystery to me.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Yeah, the scary part for me is that he saw the difference and was so careless about eating it anyway . . .

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Doesn't sound to me like the root looked like a carrot, just the leaf?? Even the stem had purple spots. People who pick wild foods need to know what they are eating for heaven's sake!!! There is also an edible Camas, I have heard, and another one that is poisonous.

On another topic, I am just back from an 'adventure' helping DH and friend get a truck out of bad situation up a steep access road (read: a partially overgrown path) to a water tank where they are putting in a solar panel. Actually, my role was to drive to their location with the come-along and hike it up to the place where the truck had gotten stuck coming around a sharp curve (and nearly over the side of a ravine), and also to hold the flashlight as dusk fell. There were some dicey moments in which we discussed the possibility of hiring the football team, but in the end we were successful.

This is what we call 'an adventure' in my house, Holly! Good grief! Oh shoot, I just re-read that you called it an 'adventure', too. LOL! Nice flashlight holding!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Very nice photos of beautiful plants! Thank you all. When I get home I have some great photos of AK to share. The sun has been a constant visitor here. My ferry ride today was breath-taking. I am headed to the ocean beach tomorrow at Yakutat. They have a mountain that rises off the ocean to 18,000 ft. No cell so pictures in 6 days

Oh Lordy, my back is screaming tonight. I worked for several hours today trying to catch up on things in the garden. I still have lots to do, but I made a good dent today. I finally got all the dahlias planted- I hope they do well, it would be so awesome to have tons of pretty dahlias! Planted and re-potted a lot of other stuff too, no more mini pot ghetto on the porch!

It seems that none of the seeds I direct sowed last fall did anything. Very disappointing. I had a lot of cool stuff I was expecting to come up, but they all fizzled. Looks like I also lost both my cannas, my black magic Colocasia and my Odontonema strictum. So sad. :(

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Okay everyone! I need your wide awake thoughts on Saturday (your day, my night) - I'm off on the Moonwalk again tonight - 26.2 miles starting at Midnight in our bras! And I have to say it is not all that warm out there! But - there will be 15,000 of us walking walking walking, and I am just thrilled to be part of it! And I've just totted up my sponsorship forms and I am pleased as punch that I've come up with over £700 sponsorship! Yea team! Tomorrow I will be sleeping the best sleep of the year, nothing like staying up all night walking to let you get a good 12 hour sleep - just love it.

See you post-walking. xoxo

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Just keep walking, walking, walking!!! Sleep well afterward. Hope you stayed warm enough.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.